Could You Date A Transexual?

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
an annoyed writer said:
Thanks to you, and drisky, for the read. However, I'm not sure what to think about this; What the article's main point is that due to the failed hormone wash a person gets the "another genders brain" and thefeore their gender identity, but then there's the view that gender identity is not fixed at birth (it is caused by sociological and physiological factors; however most people just identify with a gender based on their biological parts) which contests the idea of gender identity being decided at birth.

I tried searching the studies the article cites, but I didn't come up with much, and I couldn't find other researchs etc. referencing the first article (because I'd figure psychologists would be all over such information). While I'm not contesting that gender identity received at birth would be impossible, at the moment there are just more evidence supporting the opposite hypothesis.

bananafishtoday

Nov 30, 2012
Abomination said:
Of course I am, because my stance on sexual and gender identification differs from the average trans - not because you happen to agree with them. In fact, your opinion has nothing to do with me being a bigot or not because - as you have confessed - you are not a member of the privileged few who do get to dictate such stances.

To me sex is gender, and a trans is simply attempting to emulate the opposite for a potential variety of personal reasons that I will not begrudge them for. Not to mention all the various sub-categories of trans that people have somehow come up with... adding layers upon layers of complexity to an already deeply emotional topic.

What it boils down to is 100% tolerance being given but since it isn't 100% acceptance one is identified as an enemy - which does the entire trans demographic no favours when trying to battle the unfortunate stereotype of trans being insecure, overly emotional and unbalanced.
The fact that you apparently think trans* people are "privileged" is absolutely insane. It's so out of touch with reality that I can't even imagine how you could have reached that conclusion.

Rasor

Jul 21, 2009
If it was just some guy who decided "I'm a girl inside!" and did then made the switch... Then no.
That concept just irritates me. It's like being a weeaboo, except about the opposite gender, not Japanese culture. Sure you can convince yourself that you're truly a lady... But you aren't, you're delusional.
If I can't love you as a man... Getting fake tits and a faulty clunge isn't going to change my mind. If you're born with some kind of defect, some mismatched parts, that's you. and if I like you I'll live with it.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
If I was attracted to them, then yeah probably.

But I'm not going to lie, I do not understand transsexuality in the slightest. I'm not saying that I don't like transsexuals or don't think it's a real thing, I'm just saying I don't get it. The same way I don't get the impact of the word '******' from a black person's perspective. I have a friend that's FtM and I'm trying to understand and be supportive, but it's difficult when they're going through something I can't comprehend.

EclipseoftheDarkSun

Sep 11, 2009
You don't have to understand something to know that people suffer when they're coralled into living a lie or bullied by people who don't accept them as they are. I'm sure that unless we were born with a silver spoon in our mouth, home schooled and kept in a virtual social bubble, we've all had experiences of social cruelty, however rare. I don't know how much of trans people's suffering is due to societal mistreatment and mental polarisation driving them to seek refuge in a particular gender role vs yearning to have the body that matches their innate mindset. Or if these things are inextricably interlinked. Doesn't matter, just treat people decently and let them call themselves whatever they like. Just so long as they're reasonably consistent about it, that's all I ask.

Bertylicious

Apr 10, 2012
I don't think I would be able to because I am prejudiced. It's not something I'm proud of, quite the opposite, but it isn't something I can just turn off. A lot of people carry prejudice, as this thread proves, and a lot of people would rather try to defend their prejudice with any old nonsense rather than admit to weakness.

I remember watching a programme about white South African police officers serving years after the end of apartheid. This one guy spoke about racism as being like being an alcoholic; every morning you had to look in the mirror and say to yourself "I am an alcoholic, so I will not act like an alcoholic". To me, my prejudice feels much the same; I am aware of it and must take consious steps to prevent it from affecting my judgement.

Nov 24, 2010
i have a partner-so no. but i think-if i am in love, then yes, why not? i loved ppl which didn't fit my idea of attractive-but love is love and if this person is a good, compassionate wonderful intelligent one-then , yeah sure. anatomy is not important to me and health or some strange idea of normality is not important for me. i could imagine dating a disabled person in a wheelchair or whatever.
and the methods of operation for male-> female are excellent- i saw a neo-vagina and i couldn't tell the difference to a "real" one.(and well, i know how vagoos look like^^) if a m->f gets her body very early-short after or wile puberty(so the hormones cant do their destructive (yes, for TG puberty is destructive-the fact that TG are more likely to commit suicide(and have a higher risk of becoming mentally ill-depressive or addicted(because of the depression) has a reason-being trapped in a body that morphs to something that isn't you seems horrible to me. And a society which fears and despises TG is ad too- TG have a higher risk of becoming a victim of abuse and violence too.) you cant really tell a difference.

a good, because early made mtF Tg is kim here:

doesn't only look like a girl-she is one. i am not into blondes but that is a really pretty girl :]

startet with hormone-therapy very early (the parents told that at a very early agge in childhood kim hated her body so much, she wanted to cut her penis off with a scissor. she started wearing girls-clothing at the age of 2 (http://www.colorsmagazine.com/stories/magazine/76/story/body-changes)
so- i dont think taht this is a mental illness- maybe there was some hormonal stuff that made her this way. but she is happy and i think thats the important thing. i think everybody deserves to e happy

(c) and such: http://www.listal.com/kim-petras

marcooos

Shit Be Serial Cray
Nov 18, 2009
Beautiful Tragedy said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Beautiful Tragedy said:
LMAo ya not many of us would pull that!
Speak for yourself!
LMAO Ya I wouldn't announce it "Hi, I'm Melanie- trans-girl supreme."
Dunno I'd rate that as the greatest intoduction ever

OT: Nah don't think I could sorry ppls, just realistically could not get past that fact. Dunno if that makes me a dickhead or not lol

Kroxile

Oct 14, 2010
Absolutely not. If you are born a man, you are always a man and vice versa. Its perverse in my opinion to even consider the notion.

Blast away with your "hurr durr homophobia" BS. I don't care.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
bananafishtoday said:
Abomination said:
Of course I am, because my stance on sexual and gender identification differs from the average trans - not because you happen to agree with them. In fact, your opinion has nothing to do with me being a bigot or not because - as you have confessed - you are not a member of the privileged few who do get to dictate such stances.
The fact that you apparently think trans* people are "privileged" is absolutely insane. It's so out of touch with reality that I can't even imagine how you could have reached that conclusion.
Because I'm talking about who gets to dictate what sexual and gender identification is, not practical benefits. In the field of dictating sexual and gender identification it seems that trans have a monopoly on righteous indignation. It is their definition or be prepared to be called a bigot - and that is absurd.

"I was born a man but you better call me a woman and IN YOUR VERY MIND CONSIDER me a woman." The second capitalised part is the concept I can not stand, that having an opinion one keeps to themselves unless asked about it makes them a terrible person. Or as the issue DugMachine had earlier, he doesn't have to date a M->F trans because maybe he considers them unattractive but it's wrong to not date them because they're a trans, he still considers them to be male, and he is heterosexual. Which highlights the issue he mentioned in the first place - apparently trans expect everyone to consider them sexually equal on an individual level to every other prospective mate.

Calibanbutcher

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2009
EclipseoftheDarkSun said:
Zen Toombs said:
Souplex said:
Women are crazy, so if there were someone who fit my other dating criteria with a man's mind, and a woman's parts, I think I'd be all over that.
So you know, more the point of transgendered is "mind and parts don't match".[footnote]That is, a man in the body of a girl or a woman in the body of a boy[/footnote] Transexual means that "mind and body now match, but both are different from birth sex".[footnote]A person born with a penis had a girls brain and now has a girls body, for example[/footnote] To say that a person "has a man's mind and a woman's parts" would more accurately refer to a transgendered male.

[HEADING=3]Side note about terminology:[/HEADING]

1) transgendered VS transsexual - difference between mind and parts VS surgery to make the mind and parts match

2) trans[X] guy/male VS trans[X] girl/female - in all cases, you are supposed to use the individuals preferred gender. A male mind in a girls body is a transgendered guy, a person born a guy who had surgery to become a girl is a transexual girl.

3) trans[X] vs non-trans[X] - this is more a side note about a side note, but it is a bit mean/insensitive to call people who aren't trans "normal".[footnote]For clarification, that is because it implies that a trans person is not normal[/footnote] The terminology for a male born with a mans parts is "cis male"/"cis guy" and for a girl with girl parts is "cis girl" or "cis female".

3.5) I dunno what "cis" refers to specifically.
I think it's an oblique reference to cis vs trans double bonds in a fatty acid molecule (http://www.diffen.com/difference/Cis_Fat_vs_Trans_Fat) - you know, trans fats are only typically occur unnaturally through technology (through a hydrogenation process using polyunsaturated plant fatty acid/oil. They also actually happen to be bad for you, but I don't think that's part of the definition here) Cis fatty acid bonds are naturally occurring.

Which makes sense - cis is for the male mind in male body or female mind in female body as the 'norm' while trans for the male mind in female to male altered body etc as the 'technologically converted'.

Not to say that gender mismatch isn't naturally occurring.

Oh well.. Trans means across and Cis means on the same side as, (which explains why the fats have their relative designations) so trans males have to transition their body to male to match their outlook/mind/brain-patterns/hormones while cis males have their body on the same side as their brain etc..
Ok, this is really rubbing me the wrong way, being a chemistry nerd and all:
1. There are naturally occuring trans fatty acids, found in milk and dairy products. Not a lot but there are some.

2. I highly doubt that a community would wish to name itself after fatty acids of all things, especially since the terms "cis-" and "trans-" are used in chemistry to identify isomers of molecules and are not solely used for fatty acids.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cis%E2%80%93trans_isomerism

3. Really, why the f*ck would any group wish to name itself after fatty acids of all things.

chinangel

Sep 25, 2009
as a transgirl myself, i'm more or less required to want to date my own kind...which is good. 'Cause there are some hot tgirls and tboys out there :3
being bi has benefits

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Probably not, no.
Just seems kinda weird to me. Other people can feel free though.

Epic Bear Man

Feb 5, 2013
Calibanbutcher said:
3. Really, why the f*ck would any group wish to name itself after fatty acids of all things.
I sure as hell would! As long as the fat in question are Omega-3/6/9 fatty acids. D:

D Moness

Left the building
Sep 16, 2010
DugMachine said:
But therein lies the problem. I'm attracted to women, I must accept trans MtF as women so I should have no problem dating them. But I do and that's what has me so upset. Either way i'm screwed.
But then if there is no attraction there is no attraction.

I mean :

Could I date a guy : Yes if we are both attracted to each other.
Could I date a girl : see above
Could i date a Transexual : well you get the idea

I mean nobody is attracted to 100% of his/her preferred gender.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Yeah, why not? I think I could on paper, obviously never had the situation presented to me, and I do often joke that I'd end up with one anyway, given most of the qualities that are in women that I fancy are generally "manly" traits. The only problem is, is I'd like to have a kid one day, and obviously it would depend on how the girl feels about having a carrier for the child.

Mind you, I think it's more likely that a trans-girl would be more feminine in personality, as if you were blokey, it seems odd that you would have the drive to want to change gender to a female.

Random Fella

Nov 17, 2010
No, a lot of people might answer yes to save face and seem like a good person, some may legitimately not mind or be attracted to that, but there's no way I could date a MtoF transvestite (Straight male)
Does that make me a bad person? No
Does that make me ignorant or perhaps prejudice? No
Not sure if it's possible for such a transvestite to biologically have children in their new sexual state, but I don't think so, and that's obviously one of the major factors in a serious relationship (Of course in the state of finding my partner late in the relationship to be unable to due to natural means, the story would be different, but would be different because it's something they cannot help)

Darken12

Apr 16, 2011
As a scientist, I just want to chip in on the absolutely disgusting amount of biological determinism on this thread and remind everyone that "this affects that" or "this has been observed" are just observations that A) are likely to be incomplete or outright wrong because of faulty methods or limited understanding on the subject, B) imply no causation or correlation, strictly speaking, as it is possible those findings do not support the conclusions derived from them, and C) even if the logic, conclusions and findings are indeed airtight, biology is not fate. Being born with this or that gene, having this or that hormone or brain structure, being this or that way has nothing to do with what you are.

You can be whatever you want to be, and people using biology to say "you can't be that" are douchebags who should stay the hell away from science because they are clearly not capable of using science's findings responsibly. Science is not a tool to oppress. Stop using science to justify bigotry, you're giving biology, genetics, endocrinology and neurology (as well as who knows how many other fields) a bad name.