Dark Knight Rises Shooting Leaves 12 Dead

Duckman

Jan 7, 2012
Carnagath said:
Squaseghost said:
STENDEC1 said:
Queue all the conservative Americans who'll claim that this attack is in no way a just cause for tighter gun control. Rather the opposite. After all, if everyone had guns you'd have less shootings wouldn't you?

It's times like these I'm extremely pleased to live in Australia.
Well If I were in that theater, I know I'd have shot him down.
According to the more recent reports, the guy was wearing full body armor that included throat and groin protection, so he was obviously well prepared for the fact that someone in the audience might be armed. What you would have done if you were in the theater, is die. Maybe if you were armed with an RPG you would have taken him down though. Americans really should start selling those in Walmarts, after all YOU HAVE A RIGHT TO DEFEND YOURSELF.
Because as we all know, rocket propelled explosives are the ONLY thing that can deal with body armor. And for the record, yes. People have the right to defend themselves. I doubt that armed civilians would have helped the situation much. It was a loud, dark room filled with tear gas. This guy was prepared. No amount of sidearms or gun control would have changed that.

Also, your argument makes you look like an idiot. And you don't strike me as an idiot, so please don't make such foolish statements so carelessly.

Also a side note. The type of body armor the gunman wore is important to whether or not armed civilians would have made a difference. Not all body armor is made equal.

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Why did they cancel the Paris Premiere?
This had nothing to do with Batman, there have been shootings all over the place
It's just TOO.
FUCKING.
HOT!
It's called bad press my friend.

Kelgair

May 20, 2012
Carnagath said:
Kelgair said:
Carnagath said:
Squaseghost said:
STENDEC1 said:
Queue all the conservative Americans who'll claim that this attack is in no way a just cause for tighter gun control. Rather the opposite. After all, if everyone had guns you'd have less shootings wouldn't you?

According to the more recent reports, the guy was wearing full body armor that included throat and groin protection, so he was obviously well prepared for the fact that someone in the audience might be armed. What you would have done if you were in the theater, is die. Maybe if you were armed with an RPG you would have taken him down though. Americans really should start selling those in Walmarts, after all YOU HAVE A RIGHT TO DEFEND YOURSELF.
From quite a few posts on this thread so far it's obvious some people don't believe those movie-goers had the right to defend themselves from a criminal psychopath who obviously didn't care about gun laws. Depressing really. And only the truly ignorant would erect a strawman about RPGs with regards to body armor. It's a goddamn tragedy people, let the police do at least some investigation before you jump on your opportunistic band-wagons.
You ignore the fact that you cannot actually defend yourself from a lunatic armed with teargas cannisters, an AR-15 and a full suit of body armor. How convenient for you.
And you ignore the fact that you CAN actually defend yourself from said lunatic. The fact you think you can't is telling, and rather pathetic.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
Kelgair said:
Carnagath said:
Kelgair said:
Carnagath said:
Squaseghost said:
STENDEC1 said:

From quite a few posts on this thread so far it's obvious some people don't believe those movie-goers had the right to defend themselves from a criminal psychopath who obviously didn't care about gun laws. Depressing really. And only the truly ignorant would erect a strawman about RPGs with regards to body armor. It's a goddamn tragedy people, let the police do at least some investigation before you jump on your opportunistic band-wagons.
You ignore the fact that you cannot actually defend yourself from a lunatic armed with teargas cannisters, an AR-15 and a full suit of body armor. How convenient for you.
And you ignore the fact that you CAN actually defend yourself from said lunatic. The fact you think you can't is telling, and rather pathetic.
Ok, mind clearing up how you would do that while armed with a sidearm?

Mar 7, 2012
Chatboy 91 said:
Allthingsspectacular said:
What I want to know is: how the **** did this punk get an automatic weapon?
Rifle != Automatic weapon

I have seen no mention anywhere of him using an automatic rifle. Judging from the description of the event he was using a simple semi-automatic.
Police around where I live say he used an automatic weapon. And I'm in Colorado.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
albino boo said:
DVS BSTrD said:
albino boo said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Why did they cancel the Paris Premiere?
This had nothing to do with Batman, there have been shootings all over the place
It's just TOO.
FUCKING.
HOT!

There is a human emotion called empathy I suggest you look it up.
Could you please direct me to the part of that post where I apparently said all the victim's families can all go fuck themselves? Canceling the premiere isn't a show of solidarity, it's just keeping up appearances. As I said there have already been several mass shootings this week, but the only reason THIS one is geting an article is because of the movie they were seeing. Now THAT is a lack of empathy.

Yeah of course the actors attending the premier are automatons and don't have any human feelings. Its not like poeple who paid money to attend a late night premier weren't just brutally murdered. Those actors will just sip champaign as they saunter down the red carpet posing for photographs not thinking about the random shootings at all. So if you want to use swear word like the big important man that you are LOOK UP THE FUCKING MEANING OF EMPATHY. You might not have any but its one of those things you need to be good actor, the ability put put yourself in others place and understand what they are feeling.
Yes because it's THEIR FAULT those people died and canceling the premiere is REALLY going to help ease the pain of their loved ones. If you want to help those people DO something, don't just put your life on hold. Nothing lasting is going to be accomplished by that, just hindering everyone else's ability to get on with THEIR lives. All you're doing is giving one sick fuck more attention than he deserves. Through the shit-head in an Iron Maiden, maybe make exit doors that can't be opened from the outside or something, give the family your condolences and MOVE ON. You want to honor the victim's memory? You do that by LIVING, not stopping.
You clearly don't understand the meaning of word empathy. Just must be autistic not work out that the actors in the film wont be thinking about the 12 poeple murdered and 50 poeple wounded who wouldn't have come to any harm if they hadn't attended the film they are in. Christian Bale wouldn't be walking down the red carpet thinking about the man dressed head to toe in body armour opening fire on film audience.

You are now just making up reasons to cover the fact you didn't think about the fact the that the poeple attending the the Paris showing might have feelings too.

Kelgair

May 20, 2012
Carnagath said:
Kelgair said:
Carnagath said:
Kelgair said:
Carnagath said:
Squaseghost said:
STENDEC1 said:

Ok, mind clearing up how you would do that while armed with a sidearm?
As I said before, let the police investigate further, and as a poster said above, not all body armor is created equal. It depends on the sidearm you're currently carrying and what kind of ammo is in it. I imagine the gas mask he was wearing wasn't especially bullet proof though. But the discussion is moot since it was a "gun free zone" that was flagrantly ignored by one person. And again it's a goddamn tragedy so let the police investigate before you get on some idiot band-wagon.

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
Tanis said:
GoddyofAus said:
Tanis said:
*waits for the 'those people' to start preaching 'this is why we need to ban guns' crap*
It's purile and juvenile responses like this that allowed this, Columbine, Virginia Tech and every other massacre to happen in the first place.
Picture is a LITTLE old, but the point still stands...

I'll tell you this:
If just two or three people in that theater were armed, and went through the proper training...there would probably be a LOT less bodies.

The only thing strict gun control laws do is disarm LAW FOLLOWING CITIZENS.
IF a crazy person or a scum bag wants a weapon, they-will-find-a-way-to-get-it.

NORMAL PEOPLE DON'T DO CRAP LIKE THIS.
It's childish to think that 'banning all the guns' will stop criminals, or prevent massacres.
No one is talking about banning guns. Hell, in order to ban guns, you'd need a sweeping 2/3rds vote, either by Congress and the House or the American Public as a whole. Thats. NEVER. going. to. happen. While you could certainly squeeze the votes from more democratic portions of the country, thats political suicide in a large portion of it.

Now, banning certain types of guns is an option (like Assault Weapons). Or making them harder to get ahold of is an option, but its illogical to assume that this, in any way, will hinder your rights to bear arms. Like how Free Speech can backfire, so can the right to own guns.

This isn't about Gun Control though, this is about a lunatic. Clearly, something was so wrong with this persons life that he decided to do this, which is horrible. But to do this, you have to be sick in the head and not be getting the help you need. Which is a shame. To do such a thing is just horrendous. I hope this gentleman recieves the care he needs and the punishment he deserves, and my thoughts and prayers are with the families.

qwagor

Mar 18, 2009
cerebus23 said:
it isnt cause for tighter gun control, pro tip criminals do not give 2 shits about gun laws, unless you are going to seal every square inch of our borders, then mexico would have another massive money font as there are lots guns and drugs to sell to us in mexico.

this guy should be beaten to death, he is a sick, twisted, bastard and to have a baby die from all this just sickening.
Key word here is "criminals"... This cretin wasn't one. He didn't jump through hoops, or go to Mexico, or meet with shady people in dark alleys. He just bought guns. Probably ordered them on the internet.

America, there's something seriously wrong with you.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
[/quote]Well there we have the completely different issue of our respective countries (and their following history and culture). I mean I live in Denmark and I have a sneaking suspicion that it is because of the Danish culture that I can only see firearms in the hands of either Police or Military personnel (or crooks, and then there's hunters but they only use hunting rifles like the Model 700 or shotguns with room for two shells).[/quote]

Yea i would say there is a good golf in our respective histories that color our views, especially when you have seen your rights eroded steadily, your nation run into bankruptcy, your dollar purposely run into the ground by your government and "the fed", and your politicians so wholly corrupt, because the entire political system is rotten to the core.

So yea when people start talking about gun control there just to many running themes here mimicking history, and it makes me personally nervous.

All that said i do not even own a gun, not fired a gun since i was about 10 years old. And the only time i think about buying a gun is when people start talking about taking them away.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
*sighs* Even assuming we all start packing heat Charlton Heston style, having a piece doesn't equal having the training, concentration, willpower and, well, bare-bones ability to shoot properly.

Arm everyone for the sake of being armed in case of the government being a dick, and you'll end up with wild shootouts filled with people trying their damndest to do good and stop the one crazy who's to blame for the shooting - but failing to keep their targets in line.

Arming everyone is most definitely *not* the answer. If you have a gun, you have to prove you're mature, competent, calm and responsible enough to use it. It's no-holds-barred gun-fests that are a real problem; corners of Canada and America where you can pay a couple hundred bucks for a gun club membership and the right to shoot anti-tank ordnance at busted cars in open fields. Weapons are *not* things to go have a joyride with.

So I'm of the mind that the gun culture has more pervasive than positive effects. Cops and trained soldiers - anyone whose job *involves* how to handle a gun - should be allowed to use one. Anyone else? Nope, not unless you're hunting for sport and can prove without a doubt that you're of a sound enough mental state to avoid snapping and going on a killing spree.

When I hear people say that gun control sucks and that having the right to bear arms all the damn time would solve things, I tend to facepalm. It wouldn't solve any problem - it would amplify existing conditions. You'd end up with more stories concerning ornery folks pulling out the twelve-gauge because their neighbor's kid dared to throw his frisbee over their side of the property line.

Kazedarkwind

Inner Working Reviewer
Nov 18, 2009
Soooo glad i went the premiere in north Denver instead of there O_O *sings still alive*

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
Next time I go to one of these superhero movies I should dress up as said hero and be on the look out for any psycho paths.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Artemis923 said:
This is like...that movie Rampage, made flesh.

That's a terrifying thought.

And all the anti-gun drivel flying around...

Gun control hurts law abiding citizens, not criminals. End of story.
Oh my god that movie was the first thing to pop in my mind.

OT: This is very sad news indeed. I hope we get a motive soon cause this is just all kinds of fucked up. If only a few people were packing and shot back so many deaths wouldn't have happened.

I understand he was armored and shooting in a panicking crowd is very disorientating but even a small chance to protect would have been nice. Oh well, no point in dwelling on it. I hope this guy gets locked up in solitary confinement for the rest of his life. None of that crazy asylum bullshit.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
Tanis said:
GoddyofAus said:
Tanis said:
*waits for the 'those people' to start preaching 'this is why we need to ban guns' crap*
It's purile and juvenile responses like this that allowed this, Columbine, Virginia Tech and every other massacre to happen in the first place.
Picture is a LITTLE old, but the point still stands...

I'll tell you this:
If just two or three people in that theater were armed, and went through the proper training...there would probably be a LOT less bodies.

The only thing strict gun control laws do is disarm LAW FOLLOWING CITIZENS.
IF a crazy person or a scum bag wants a weapon, they-will-find-a-way-to-get-it.

NORMAL PEOPLE DON'T DO CRAP LIKE THIS.
It's childish to think that 'banning all the guns' will stop criminals, or prevent massacres.
If he's alone, he'll struggle. If it's properly enforced. Guns aren't a defence, they're weapons. Was there anyone in the cinema who was armed? If there was, did it help? It doesn't make sense for them to save lives. You arm people, you're just dressing them up to kill.
Stop being so condescending, chucking about a possibility and posting irrelevant photos (godwin'd) (what's "the point" anyway?).

OT: Guns were bought legally according to the BBC according to ABC. I predict a shitstorm. But it's necessary.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Tiamat666 said:
Meanwhile, I feel quite happy knowing that I live in Europe, a land where not every nuthead can go to the next convenience store and arm himself with deadly weapons. Thank you very much.
No, just the extremely determined nutheads who enjoy a target-rich environment. Or did we forget Norway already?

You don't seem to know about how to purchase guns in the US, so it might be a bad idea to comment as though you do. Until you can cite our gun laws, maybe you don't know enough to complain about them.

All of this to say: Why are you people bitching and moaning about HOW this guy killed people? Why are you turning this tragedy into your personal political soapbox and pissing on their memories before they're even cold and in the ground?

Seriously. If he didn't have guns, he'd just use some homemade explosives. If he didn't have those, he'd start a big fire. Barring that, knives, swords, and axes. None of those? He'll use a goddamned rock.

A sick, crazy asshole murdered people and injured dozens of others. This event does not reveal or comment on anything about America, movie or comic or gaming culture, guns or laws, or any of that. This just shows on how sick some human beings are.