Don't Expect Friendly Dragons in Skyrim, Says Bethesda

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
be nice to ride a dragon

not in the happy sort of way, but as in a rodeo bucking bull sort of way... stab stab aaaaaaaahhhhhh free falling

mastermarty

Feb 13, 2010
Nikolaz72 said:
Sooo, they are gonna abandon earlier Elder Scrolls lore? Good to know.
If I might ask, how are they abandoning the earlier lore? I don't really see anything contradictionary.

OT: Mods will happen. Within minutes.

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
Damn, no reigning as a Dragon Lord for me.

Though as there's already been a flying Dragon Mount mod for Oblivion for ages, it certainly won't take long to get one out for a game that already have fully animated flying dragons in it.

Aisaku

Jul 9, 2010
I read this as:

No friendly dragons... until they can charge you extra for it. :D

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
"But when you're around the watercooler the next day and everybody's talking about what they did, even if you did the same quest you'll be like 'hey wait a minute, I went to a different dungeon, which one did you go to? Mine had waterfalls.'"
That's... actually a pretty good thought. I'd never thought of anything like that until now.

But I'm pretty sure people'll mod friendly dragons in very soon after release. I'm cool with destroying everything that flies above me though.

reachforthesky

Jun 13, 2010
All I read was "blah blah blah we were to lazy to let you ride dragons" pro-tip: having a nuanced setting is not the equivalent of Disney-cuddly-sissy-time-fun. I hope he's serious about those exceptions.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Well it's quite obvious that we wouldn't be able to befriend dragons when the storyline revolves around Dragons awakening and starting to threaten the people of Skyrim and Dragonborn trying to "stop"(as in slay) them.

Also,the most important awesome skills which will be the shouts require dragon souls so you'll need to kill every one that you meet if you want those sweet skills.

I'm completely fine with this though.

seraphy

Jan 2, 2011
This oddly bothers me a bit.

Some friendly dragons would have been more interesting than "super evil demon dragons who have no other purpose than for you to kill them"tm.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Well damn, I was hoping to tame one and have it be a part of my town murdering spree, now all my plans are ruined!

But I'm okay with this, that means dragon battles, and how can I not be excited for that?

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
I don't know. It still kinda says there might be ONE dragon you can ride or something.

"Might there be exceptions and nuances to that? Possibly. I wouldn't want to say anything beyond that. But this is not a game where, like, 'no, dragons are our friends and we just have to learn to get along!'"

It sounds like he's hinting there is like, one dragon you find with a broken wing and then you can ride him or something. I don't really care one way or another, I just want the bloody game to come out already!

Philip Petrunak

Apr 3, 2010
Guys, this is a Bethesda game. Remember? Of course they're not going to have any complex villains of enemies with any motivation other than "Raw, raw! Must kill everything!". It doesn't mater that this instinct to pick fights would have killed them all shortly after their inception. Nope. Run around and kill shit, that's Bethesda for you.

unoleian

Jul 2, 2008
"This is how to kill a whole bunch of very mean things that have come to kill and hurt people ...Might there be exceptions and nuances to that? Possibly. I wouldn't want to say anything beyond that."

I'm betting there will be an "Uncle Leo" type, at the very least, out there somewhere. Maybe, if you're lucky. I would be more surprised if there wasn't, actually. He's shown up in almost every single one of their games as the rare non-violent exception to the otherwise violent-by-nature rule. As a dragon? Sure, why not.

Or failing that, there's always the --one-- exception out there for that little story-line twist.

I'm perfectly okay with not being able to tame a dragon. I'm plenty excited just to slay one. Or five. Or whatever. I rest reasonably confident there will be at least one I'll be talking to at some point. In this kind of story, there always is....

Aethren

Jun 6, 2009
Don't worry, there'll be a Dragon Companion/Mount as future DLC.

With buyable Dragon Armor.

vivster

Oct 16, 2010
this was to be expected but it's still sad how the majority of dragons is portrayed by the media
i like dragons
i have never seen any dragon as an evil killing machine and always felt bad when the game forced me to slay one...

poor gentle creatures always getting attacked by blood thirsty humans ;(

ctrl

Apr 19, 2010
aww i love how to train your dragon, ah well could use a break from the nice dragons *puts on helmet and waves a sword in the air* chaaaaaaaaaaaaarge!!!

Andaxay

Thinking with Portals
Jun 4, 2008
Oh my god, everything I hear about this game just makes me want it more. I've never been a fan of the "oh, I hate you and want you to die! But later on I'll protect/like you!" Come on, 11/11!