Duke Nukem Forever Coming in May

Lerxst

Mar 30, 2008
The more hype something has, the worse it usually is. So you tell me - a game that's been hyped for 12 years, become the brunt of every joke out there and whose legacy has actually gathered more fans than the game itself has... will it be an instant success or suck horribly?

Sartan0

Apr 5, 2010
As someone who played a bit at Pax Prime last year I am totally picking this up. Nostalgia is a big factor as well. (Having played Duke Nukem 1, 2, 3D and Manhattan Project) I am determined to have fun with this game.

Even if it sucks.

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
Sixcess said:
Andy Chalk said:
It's almost a little disappointing in some respects. Who are we going to lob cheap and easy vaporware jokes at now that Duke Nukem Forever is an actual, real thing?
HL2 E3?
I was slowly scrolling down, hiiighly expecting someone to say that. ;)
And yes. That is the one. :D

Trucken

Jan 26, 2009
GeneticallyModifiedDucks said:
I can't believe this is coming out on my birthday. I find it kind of ironic that this games was announced just 3 years after I was born and here it is now coming out on my birthday.

I'll probably play it eventually, but I'm in no rush.
Ha, it's released on my birthday too (EU release)!

I know what I'll be doing on my birthday. I wonder if my family won't come over if I tell them there is no cake...

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Aylaine said:
Woot. I should have my new computer by then. Duke, here I come!

BUBBLE GUM AND ASS KICKING!
Bubble gum and Kicking Ass? [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OImKPh6N_Lw]
[sub]Couldn't resist >.>[/sub]

And they thought the day would never come...

Hopefully I can get my hands on a demo!

Triforceformer

Jun 16, 2009
ProfessorLayton said:
Azaraxzealot said:
maybe this will kill the "gritty realistic shooters" trend? one can only hope
Bulletstorm is going to beat DNF to the punch on this one.
I unno, Bulletstorm seems to eat grits every meal for 6 meals a day from what I've seen. Realistic? No, but it still has a somewhat disgustingly gritty look to it. Duke Nukem Forever ironically has a more realistically realistic look to it. It looks like what the world would be if aliens really were attacking.

But either way, this game is going to kick so much ass that it'll make up for the last 14 years of lost bubblegum.

Gruchul

Aug 30, 2009
Ralphfromdk said:
*manly squeee*
Isn't that any oxymoron? The Duke only approves of one of those things at a time.

OT: Looks promising. Prepare for broken hearts, be stunned when it comes out on time. Yep, that's the plan.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Triforceformer said:
ProfessorLayton said:
Azaraxzealot said:
maybe this will kill the "gritty realistic shooters" trend? one can only hope
Bulletstorm is going to beat DNF to the punch on this one.
I unno, Bulletstorm seems to eat grits every meal for 6 meals a day from what I've seen. Realistic? No, but it still has a somewhat disgustingly gritty look to it. Duke Nukem Forever ironically has a more realistically realistic look to it. It looks like what the world would be if aliens really were attacking.

But either way, this game is going to kick so much ass that it'll make up for the last 14 years of lost bubblegum.
Gritty? This is gritty:

This is Bulletstorm:

I mean, have you even seen Bulletstorms trailers and promotional material? How on earth can anyone think that is gritty?!

Regardless, I'm seconding you on your last statement. It's time to rescue some hot babes from some aliens!
Andy Chalk said:
Jonci said:
Meh, I'll need to play that demo before I put out any cash on this thing. Not all too excited for a game that gained its fame for a bunch of jokes that were funny two decades ago.
Actually, Duke Nukem 3D was an amazing shooter, an absolute work of genius. Easily one of the best FPSes of all time, and while it wasn't the technological revolution that Quake was, it was most definitely a better game.

That's one of the reasons I'm a little nervous about DNF. Everything I've seen has been focused on dick jokes, naked bimbos and Duke sticking his dick into everything he can get his hands on. He's the ultimate shit-talking brotard superstud. But what about the game? I worry that somewhere along the way, the focus on what actually make DN3D such a great game - the fact that it was a great game - has been lost.

I'm definitely looking forward to trying the demo but when one of the big selling points is watching Duke take a first-person perspective piss, well... yeah.
I'm not doubting you here, I loved Duke Nukem 3D, but I do really wonder how you're going to back that up.

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
Don't worry we still have Half-Life 2 Episode 3 to joke about. Meanwhile I'll go play some TF4, L4D7, and Portal 3. They've released 30 more hats for TF4, I'm so excited!

Never played any of the Duke Nukem games, but I might pick this up just to see what's it like and for the ability to say that I played DNF. I'm worried that with so much time in development it will only be average and that the whole atmosphere will be dated; but who knows, it might be good!

Triforceformer

Jun 16, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
Ok, sorry. "Gritty" was a poor choice of words on my part. But still, something about it rubs me the wrong way. Sort of like a stripper with sandpaper on her hands.

Joshua Hoggan

Oct 14, 2010
yeah but they work on valve time =P they take forever but if they say theyll do something theyll do it...amd mot almost 15 years late =P

Truehare

Nov 2, 2009
You know, I don't really care if this game will be good or a piece of alien-pig sh*t, I'll play it just the same. It will be worth just t be able to say "I have actually played Duke Nukem Forever".

You know, that should be the achievement you get just for starting the game...

EDIT: You know, third time's the charm... :p

Aug 25, 2009
Given that Half Life 3 sits at six years right now, so give it another year or so and it will become the next Duke Nukem Forever, if it isn't already in some people's minds.

And I know, Valve don't give release dates and stuff but six years is a pretty long time, and if I remember correctly it was at about six or seven years that Duke Nukem started to become a joke. Especially to people like Penny Arcade and PlayStation Magazine.

Dr Mango

Diabolic Fruit PhD
Jul 2, 2009
Surely it won't be out until 2012... you know, to coincided with the end of the world. See, that's how they get you.

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
I am going to play this game just so I can say I've played it.

Come to think of it, won't people like me be a good chunk of the sales?

Apr 28, 2008
Well, I guess thats it then.

Good night, Duke Nukem Forever jokes, its been fun.

Also, I was in, like, 2nd grade or something when this game was released. Now I've been graduated from high school for 2 years.

Holy shit.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Tr3mbl3Tr3mbl3 said:
My prediction: this game is either going to be awful and remembered for generations to come as the biggest blunder the industry ever managed to crap out, or its going to be the best game in the last five years and praised for being more than worth the wait.
My prediction: this game is going to be a great game, but will never live up to its [strk]ten[/strk] fourteen year wait, or the vaporware mythos around it, and will largely be forgotten. Ten years from now gaming magazines[footnote]Online magazines, like the Escapist, obviously. In ten years paper will no longer exist. Because we'll have run out of trees.[/footnote] will tell the story of DNF and relegate the real game to the last paragraph, describing it as 'a fun, competent shooter that nevertheless failed to meet expectations'.

I'll play the demo first.