Earthquake in VA

Jedamethis

Jul 24, 2009
Didn't notice. Could be because I was way over in England, far away from wherever the hell VA is. Google tells me it's Virginia, but what's the A stand for?

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
I felt it here in NC. I was doing the meet and greet with my kids new teachers, when everything started shaking. Its pretty creepy to feel the floor moving beneath your feet.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
My Dad was at his doctor's office in Maryland and felt it. 5.9 on the scale! Thankfully there wasn't major damage done to the office. Strangely, my sister (who was on the same road as said building) didn't feel a thing. Then again, Viers Mill is a long freaking road...

bpm195

May 21, 2008
The heart of philadelphia. I was at work in my store troubleshooting a photo processing machine when out of nowhere it started making all kinds of crazy noises. I cut the power and it kept going, and I was really freaking out until it stopped. Then it was broke so I tried to call my supervisor on my cell phone but that didn't work. Then all the cash registers in the store stopped working. Then the cops showed up because several people reported an explosion in the back of our store. After like a twenty minutes of confusion as we tried to figure out what just happened a customer with a smartphone goes, "that's was an earthquake?"

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
Gwarr said:
Overreacting much? 5.9 is nothing guys . I know you have no earthquakes in that zone but this is so silly . People scared , telling other people where they were when it happened like it was some kind of a disaster . Only way someone could have died would have been from a panic attack or something .
As you said, we dont normally get earthquakes in this area, and the reason it was brought up was because it was interesting. No one is running around going, "OMG, its the end of the world and shit!!!" Its just INTERESTING because they are so rare here.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Suicideking said:
Some reports are saying it was felt in Toronto, Canada.
Apparently true ones, I'm west coast at the moment but have a few friends back home in the Toronto area who felt the need to post about feeling it on their facebook status, so I guess they could.

ejb626

Aug 6, 2009
I felt it, I was sitting around on the computer and my lamp started shaking. I thought my sister was jumping around or something but then my whole desk starting shaking and then the whole house. It was funny because my sister went from scolding me for "jumping around" to screaming like a banshee because she thought we were going to die. Luckily there was no real damage here one thing fell of my shelf and of my desk knick-knacks fell over.

FallenRainbows

Feb 22, 2009
Carpachi said:
5.9 is like when you burned toast: it ruined your morning, but it won't matter by lunch.
There are fault lines in the area they're saying it came from, but it's nothing in comparison to other fault lines.

Now watch as scientists start freaking out about how this has more to do with the San Andreas faultline and how California is about to break off.

Guess I shouldn't complain though, I'm in Florida, which is on schedule to get smacked by a hurricane.
You go teach that hurricane a thing or two for me...

This missus is on holiday in Orlando and I have a tendency to panic waaaaaay to much...

The Heik

King of the Nael
Oct 12, 2008
SpcyhknBC said:
So who felt that??? I was in a lab and luckily nothing fell over and turned me into a super hero but anyone know what's going on under the crust?
Ah, so it wasn't just a localized event for Ontario? Well that's good to know.

Nothing much happened in my area. The shockwave was so small that I only really felt it because I was sitting in a wobbly office chair on the second floor of my residence. One of my roommates on the ground floor didn't even notice it.

Honestly, that's why I love this area, tectonically speaking. The few quakes we get are simple reminders to the fact that we get can get quakes. The worst I've experienced in recent memory was last year where it was noticeable enough for some less stable things to visibly wobble and for my cat to want to get out of the building just to be safe.

Toaster Hunter

Jun 10, 2009
I felt it in New Jersey. The glass on some picture frames rattled a bit and the water in my fish tank sloshed around, but nothing else. It was weird, but not at all frightening.

savageoblivi0n

Aug 7, 2008
i live in east Tennessee...know a couple people that said they felt it, and i think it may have briefly roused me from my comatose state, but didn't realize what had happened till a couple hours later

xXAsherahXx

Apr 8, 2010
I was pretty close to the epicenter. God damn that was awesome!!! Shit was rolling all over the place!

GraveeKing

Nov 15, 2009
I was on my friend to Skype when he felt it. Apparently his whole room started shaking and he saw clouds, and storms and stuff, he thought it was a bloody tornado at first xD

Necator15

Jan 1, 2010
oppp7 said:
I felt it. Scared the shit out of me because I didn't know what it was at first.

Edit: For those curious, it was a 5.9 (at time of typing) and I heard it was felt from Boston to S. Carolina.
Felt higher than Boston.
I felt it up in Maine

Buck Wilde

Jul 15, 2009
Wasn't anything major, I just wondered what the hell but wasn't bad. Also got flooded with about 50000 statuses immediately after asking if it was an earthquake on facebook...

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
SpcyhknBC said:
So who felt that??? I was in a lab and luckily nothing fell over and turned me into a super hero but anyone know what's going on under the crust?
Ah, well I remember back in like 2008, there were some around the size you guys had, happen in southern Illinois. At the time, I was just across the border at Vincennes University in Indiana. It woke me up and I fell out of bed; it sounded like something exploded. We all felt aftershocks in our classes the next day. Professors were pretty angry at the Earth that day for disrupting class.

I wasn't worried because I knew the New Madrid fault line was near by, so nothing too out of the ordinary. Not that it produces too many earthquakes.

I don't know of any fault lines near you, but I guess there is.

Dranae

Apr 19, 2011
I felt about ten seconds of shaking before things went back to normal.

About 150 miles north of the epicenter here.