Earthquake in VA

Burst6

Mar 16, 2009
I felt it in New Jersey. I was a bit shocked that my toilet started rocking while i was still on it. For a second i thought i caused it.

Zenn3k

Feb 2, 2009
I live in VA, Richmond Area, so only about 30 miles from the center.

I certainly felt it, but it didn't seem that bad. All this panic being made about it on the news and it seemed fairly mild to me, and it was only the 2nd Earthquake I've ever experienced, the first being even more mild than this one.

Its something to talk about in this otherwise boring and bland state.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
I'm sure that a lot of people on the East Coast weren't used to an Earthquake. Being from So. Cal I'm fairly used to them. I understand why people were scared at first though, I mean if we were to have say a hurricane in So. Cal, we wouldn't know what to do.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Yeah..not to underestimate all East coasters, but a 5 Earthquake is nothing. I understand that an earthquake over there is a big deal over there because its unusual, but you guys are lucky it wasn't stronger.

I live in TX but I've felt earthquakes that were around 7 or 8 before I moved here. Now THOSE are scary.

Sorry if I sound like an ass. it's just that when everyone started talking about an earthquake and such, I thought it was a heavy earthquake, the kind of earthquake that would be considered a tragedy. And instead, this. I mean, that's good; no one getting hurt. But still...

Keepeas

Jul 10, 2011
I don't think I've ever felt an earthquake....except when I was a baby, but that doesn't count.
Definitely didn't feel anything here in CA

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
Yeah I felt it. I was buying chips when it happened. It lasted for like five seconds, and then I finished buying my chips, then went to go get lunch. Everyone else around me was freaking out and convinced that we were under attack. I told a couple people next to me "It's just a small earthquake. California gets them all the time."

Yeah it was my first earthquake, but it wasn't that bad.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Meh, I didn't feel a damn thing, but people (on the news, at least), won't shut up about it. I feel like I missed out on something...

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
Living in the D.C. area, the metro has been beaten to a standstill, I only felt it for about 15 seconds.

FreakSheet

Jul 16, 2011
Apparently it was felt here in Toronto too, but I was playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution and never felt it XD

Kryzantine

Feb 18, 2010
I felt it in NYC. Rocked my chair and desk quite a bit. My mum was in the kitchen and felt nothing, apparently.

I was rather.... surprised. Then my Facebook swarmed. That was really the most annoying part of it.

Aetera

Jan 19, 2011
I felt it here in Maryland. I live right outside of Frederick. It was pretty strong. Nothing got knocked over, though. My mom works at a nearby middle school and she said that afterwards there was a big crack in one of the walls.

It wasn't anything to get worried over. It was kinda fun.

Superior Mind

Feb 9, 2009
Yeah, we get earthquakes here in NZ. We kind of got forgotten about though given three weeks after our big one Japan got swamped by everything but Godzilla.

Despite Christchurch I still kind of like eathquakes, they can be a bit of excitement. Generally I don't feel them if they're anything less than 5.5. or are far away or too deep. Like apparently when the big one hit Christchurch it could be felt almost throughout the entire country including where I live. Didn't notice it. Got another big one fairly recently north of me, didn't feel a thing. In fact despite even going to Christchurch soon after the February quake happened to help clean up and despite there being frequent aftershocks I never noticed them.