Europeans and small talk

Tiger King

Legacy
Oct 23, 2010
Country
USA
Lil devils x said:
One of the biggest culture shocks to many Europeans coming to the US is how everyone talks to each other when they are complete strangers in the US. It doesn't matter if you know someone here or not, most people just casually talk to those standing near them here when out in public. So why is it most Europeans do not do the same? You would think with how much closer the communities are in Europe, the people would be just as close and friendly when near each other, but they are not. They often do not even apologize for bumping each other, where if you did that here that might start a fight for being so rude.

In the US, it is rude not to talk to people and acknowledge them around you and ignore them and keep to yourself. It is frequently taken as thinking you are "too good" or "stuck up" or " snobbish" if you fail to acknowledge those around you and treat them as family, where in much of Europe, if you treat strangers as family they look at you like you are an alien. Why is it so weird to talk to each other in much of Europe?
a bit of generalisation going on here, Europe is very diverse with many different cultures. you can't really say 'Europe' and that covers everything.
anyhow...

citizen of the 'kingdom that is united' here, currently living in California.
Americans may seem very friendly and outgoing in the street but that is all it is. friendly small talk, it never leads to anything, phone numbers are never exchanged and 'hey lets be friends' never happens. I like how friendly people are here but I never kid myself, it's just small talk.

from my experience if I was back home and someone super happy came up to me and was all 'hey how's it going?' my first thought would be 'what are you after? I don't know you'

"They often do not even apologize for bumping each other"
completely untrue by the way.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
carlsberg export said:
Lil devils x said:
One of the biggest culture shocks to many Europeans coming to the US is how everyone talks to each other when they are complete strangers in the US. It doesn't matter if you know someone here or not, most people just casually talk to those standing near them here when out in public. So why is it most Europeans do not do the same? You would think with how much closer the communities are in Europe, the people would be just as close and friendly when near each other, but they are not. They often do not even apologize for bumping each other, where if you did that here that might start a fight for being so rude.

In the US, it is rude not to talk to people and acknowledge them around you and ignore them and keep to yourself. It is frequently taken as thinking you are "too good" or "stuck up" or " snobbish" if you fail to acknowledge those around you and treat them as family, where in much of Europe, if you treat strangers as family they look at you like you are an alien. Why is it so weird to talk to each other in much of Europe?
a bit of generalisation going on here, Europe is very diverse with many different cultures. you can't really say 'Europe' and that covers everything.
anyhow...

Americans may seem very friendly and outgoing in the street but that is all it is. friendly small talk, it never leads to anything, phone numbers are never exchanged and 'hey lets be friends' never happens. I like how friendly people are here but I never kid myself, it's just small talk.

from my experience if I was back home and someone super happy came up to me and was all 'hey how's it going?' my first thought would be 'what are you after? I don't know you'

Yes, of course I didn't say all Europeans, I said " many" as this applies to numerous nations and not just one. In the Netherlands is where I was in awe of people just bumping each other all over the place and not even noticing they did so. I had never seen people do that before. My friend from the Netherlands told me it was normal for much of Europe, not just the Netherlands. That same friend was freaked out by people here just talking to him as well when he came to visit in the US. The UK is far more apologetic than most European nations and are more likely to at least respond to someone asking the a question, unlike Finland where you ask multiple people on the street a question and they look at you like you are crazy, say nothing at all and leave.

Here, I actually do get many phone numbers from people I have met out and about and have met some of my friends that way as well as a few people I dated, including the man I am with now. If he had not approached me while I was out with my friends, we would have never met. I think where it goes from there entirely depends on the people and circumstances. I usually do not go anywhere without at least someone starting up a random conversation with me.

Catnip1024

Jan 25, 2010
Err... Europe is big. But in my experience, if you go outside the big cities, people are more open. And it's just as well, because the kind of people you go past at rush hour in London aren't really the sort of people you want to be talking to anyway.

As for speaking to a complete stranger, only if you'd seen them around before. If you were regularly at the same bus stop, kind of thing. Otherwise you don't know if they even want talking to. I've had train journeys late in the day where all I want to do is put my head back and listen to music, and someone forcing conversation on me would be unwelcome.

Michel Henzel

Just call me God
May 13, 2014
Tayh said:
I don't care about you, your day or your problems. Just let me get my shopping done so I can get home, or leave me to listen to my music to pass the time while commuting.
Unless I'm specifically out for socializing, I'm not interested in vapid chitter-chatter.
Don't mistake my reservation for rudeness or arrogance, though; I'll be polite, apologise for any inconvenience or harm I've done by accident, and I don't mind offering a helping hand when people need it, but ultimately, I'm not here for your entertainment.
That's my Danish input about this topic.

As an aside, it's still funny when Americans go, "Why are (all) Europeans X?" like all of Europe is just one huge, homogeneous people.
I'd say we Dutch are fairly similar to you Danes in that regard, and I could not say it better myself so I'm quoting you instead :p.

OneCatch

Jun 19, 2010
Lil devils x said:

British here. I guess it's just a different perspective. When I was in Florida I found it decidedly weird, and slightly claustrophobic, how friendly everyone was. I think that's probably because I'd regard friendliness as something you do with someone once you know them well enough, to differentiate between friends and people you don't know.
That's not to say that I'd condone rude behaviour with strangers, just... neutrality I guess.

The other aspect is 'service with a smile' culture. This'll probably sound a bit perverse, but I actually find it almost reassuring to get rubbish service now and again. Bit of petty adversariality never harmed anyone! If someone's doing cleaning or checkout work or whatever I almost feel that expecting them to put on a veneer of cheerfulness isn't necessary. I know that call centre work or cleaning isn't loads of fun, and I don't need anyone to pretend it is when they're in my vicinity. Basic politeness is fine.

Tiger King

Legacy
Oct 23, 2010
Country
USA
Lil devils x said:
carlsberg export said:
Lil devils x said:

anyhow...

Yes, of course I didn't say all Europeans, I said " many" as this applies to numerous nations and not just one. In the Netherlands is where I was in awe of people just bumping each other all over the place and not even noticing they did so. I had never seen people do that before. My friend from the Netherlands told me it was normal for much of Europe, not just the Netherlands. That same friend was freaked out by people here just talking to him as well when he came to visit in the US. The UK is far more apologetic than most European nations and are more likely to at least respond to someone asking the a question, unlike Finland where you ask multiple people on the street a question and they look at you like you are crazy, say nothing at all and leave.

Here, I actually do get many phone numbers from people I have met out and about and have met some of my friends that way as well as a few people I dated, including the man I am with now. If he had not approached me while I was out with my friends, we would have never met. I think where it goes from there entirely depends on the people and circumstances. I usually do not go anywhere without at least someone starting up a random conversation with me.
that's fair enough it just read as a bit of a blanket statement at first.

I've been to a few countries in Europe and always found that whilst culturally different, people are more than willing to help and talk but are just more reserved. I think perhaps people in Europe want to go about their business and not waste time making small talk with people they probably won't ever see again.

I fully agree with you on the random conversations bit, I was looking in the beer isle in (not so)safeway and this guy just started talking to me about which beer to get. it was nice but after awhile I kinda wanted to say
'hey been at work all day, wouldn't mind going home and relaxing instead of trying to figure out what beer you want'

which sounds rude I guess but perhaps it is ruder to feign interest in what a person is saying?

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Tayh said:
I don't care about you, your day or your problems. Just let me get my shopping done so I can get home, or leave me to listen to my music to pass the time while commuting.
Unless I'm specifically out for socializing, I'm not interested in vapid chitter-chatter.
Don't mistake my reservation for rudeness or arrogance, though; I'll be polite, apologise for any inconvenience or harm I've done by accident, and I don't mind offering a helping hand when people need it, but ultimately, I'm not here for your entertainment.
That's my Danish input about this topic.

As an aside, it's still funny when Americans go, "Why are (all) Europeans X?" like all of Europe is just one huge, homogeneous people.
Yes, that is not mistaking your "not caring about others" as being rude, it is actually rude. It is more important to apologize for intentional harm done, rather than accidental. See here, I think most people actually do care about others, and it is seen as rude not to. I don't have to pretend to care about others, I actually do. That is part of being a community. To me the community is the people we depend on to get though good and bad together to survive. We build and grow as a community and make it through by helping one another. If the community isn't doing well, we are not doing well. Your community is like your extended family and we all need our communities to be able to flourish and survive. The people around you every day are the ones who will save you if something were to happen. If there is a tornado, or great destruction, it would be those around you digging you out of the rubble to save you. If you have a car accident, they would be the one to pull you from the wreckage and get you help. When a father here was injured in car accident, the community pulled together and provided for his family so they would be able to have their heat though the winter and keep their lights on. When a neighbor's daughter had cancer they were going to lose their home so the community pitched in and saved it for them so they would not lose their home while they are trying to save their daughter. But if you don't talk to the people in your community and find out about their lives, you never even realize this is what is going on around you.

rude
ro͞od/Submit
adjective
offensively impolite or ill-mannered.
"she had been rude to her boss"
synonyms: ill-mannered, bad-mannered, impolite, discourteous, uncivil, ill-behaved, unmannerly, mannerless; More
roughly made or done; lacking subtlety or sophistication.
callous heartless unemotional unsympathetic aloof blase cold cool detached disinterested dispassionate impervious listless nonchalant passionless unaroused unconcerned uninvolved
http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/uncaring

Yea, I do think it should be considered rude to tell people you don't care about them. That is a pretty cold thing to do. Of course it would ALSO be cold to pretend like you care when you do not, but to actually care about those around you should not be considered rude.

Michel Henzel

Just call me God
May 13, 2014
Lil devils x said:
carlsberg export said:
Lil devils x said:

anyhow...

Must be the place you were in cause, being Dutch myself, I can't say I recognize this at all. Maybe in crowded places like Amsterdam were bumping into people is pretty much unavoidable

generals3

Mar 25, 2009
Lil devils x said:
See now the idea that someone is "worthy" to talk to is confirming that people think they are " too good" to talk to another, so yes that should be considered actually rude and terribly judgmental. Why would it ever be considered an inconvenience or a burden to speak to those around you? That idea is what is odd. Are Europeans just more introverted to think that it is an inconvenience to talk to someone? The idea that it is an inconvenience or a burden just to speak to someone is what is rude.
Well to be fair, it's a matter of the environment in which you are raised. Where i live if someone random talks to you it's either to ask for help, money, a crazy person or an old grandpa(ma) who is in need of socializing. The concept of a random person just wanting to talk to you is foreign to us. Unless we're drunk. And therefor it doesn't feel "right" to do it yourself (who wants to come across as a crazy person?) and thus we don't do it and the circle is complete.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
generals3 said:
Lil devils x said:
See now the idea that someone is "worthy" to talk to is confirming that people think they are " too good" to talk to another, so yes that should be considered actually rude and terribly judgmental. Why would it ever be considered an inconvenience or a burden to speak to those around you? That idea is what is odd. Are Europeans just more introverted to think that it is an inconvenience to talk to someone? The idea that it is an inconvenience or a burden just to speak to someone is what is rude.
Well to be fair, it's a matter of the environment in which you are raised. Where i live if someone random talks to you it's either to ask for help, money, a crazy person or an old grandpa(ma) who is in need of socializing. The concept of a random person just wanting to talk to you is foreign to us. Unless we're drunk. And therefor it doesn't feel "right" to do it yourself (who wants to come across as a crazy person?) and thus we don't do it and the circle is complete.
Well alcohol relaxes you of course, maybe you guys just need to relax a bit more and not be so uptight. XD
Yea, I do not usually assume that everyone is crazy that randomly talks to me, though I have thought that about some who don't talk and just stare, or that get fidgety and refuse to make eye contact but you know they are looking at you the second you look away.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Lil devils x said:
Well alcohol relaxes you of course, maybe you guys just need to relax a bit more and not be so uptight. XD
Yea, I do not usually assume that everyone is crazy that randomly talks to me, though I have thought that about some who don't talk and just stare, or that get fidgety and refuse to make eye contact but you know they are looking at you the second you look away.
I agree ... whenever I need an excuse am stressed, I reach for a bottle of red. Though in this case I am a random crazy talking to you. I got certified ages ago. I think people should have random thingson their person. Something that can serve as an icebreaker. Make people more approachable.

I think the world would be a better place if everybody was more random in their outward appearance for the sake of strangers making conversation. Well ... I don't think it would be a better place. I just think it would be a stranger place, that might actively work against people making more realistic social connections.

"By law; your clothes should be 5 more percentage points on weird, and your hair at least 13 points more fantastic on the eclecto-meter ... get them out of my sight..." says the disguisted police constable with a pink mullet and an inflatable hammer in exchange of their baton.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Lil devils x said:
carlsberg export said:
Lil devils x said:
snap.
The UK is far more apologetic than most European nations and are more likely to at least respond to someone asking the a question, unlike Finland where you ask multiple people on the street a question and they look at you like you are crazy, say nothing at all and leave.
I have no idea what part of Finland you've been to, or what people you have met, but that's not the Finland I live in / have seen.
I agree that smalltalk is something we don't do, except in the sauna, because sitting naked with strangers is more uncomfortable than talking with them.

But not apologizing when bumping into another or helping someone who's asking a question?
Everytime I've bumped into someone, both me and the other one phrase at the same time "sori"(sorry) "anteeksi"(sorry) "mun moka"(my bad) etc. Never has the other one just looked at me or been unpolite claiming it was my fault or I should've looked were I was going.
And if someone asks another one in the streets for help, you're sure to get it. The only reason I can find that someone would be looking at you very strangely, is because you speak a language they don't. And most Finns these days speak enough English to make you understand that their English isn't good enough to help you out.

As I said, this is my view, I've lived here for 25 years and in several cities/towns during the last 5 years, and I have no idea what you're talking about :/

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Guffe said:
Lil devils x said:
carlsberg export said:
Lil devils x said:
snap.
The UK is far more apologetic than most European nations and are more likely to at least respond to someone asking the a question, unlike Finland where you ask multiple people on the street a question and they look at you like you are crazy, say nothing at all and leave.
I have no idea what part of Finland you've been to, or what people you have met, but that's not the Finland I live in / have seen.
I agree that smalltalk is something we don't do, except in the sauna, because sitting naked with strangers is more uncomfortable than talking with them.

But not apologizing when bumping into another or helping someone who's asking a question?
Everytime I've bumped into someone, both me and the other one phrase at the same time "sori"(sorry) "anteeksi"(sorry) "mun moka"(my bad) etc. Never has the other one just looked at me or been unpolite claiming it was my fault or I should've looked were I was going.
And if someone asks another one in the streets for help, you're sure to get it. The only reason I can find that someone would be looking at you very strangely, is because you speak a language they don't. And most Finns these days speak enough English to make you understand that their English isn't good enough to help you out.

As I said, this is my view, I've lived here for 25 years and in several cities/towns during the last 5 years, and I have no idea what you're talking about :/
It isn't just me...
https://beeinfinland.wordpress.com/2012/10/06/is-that-rude-or-is-it-just-finnish/
I am not the only one who has noticed this. I don't want to call out specific cities or towns, as I think that would be rude to them and I don't want them to feel as though I am mocking them or making fun of them. It was just something I noticed that I thought was very odd compared to what I am accustomed to.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Lil devils x said:
Guffe said:
Lil devils x said:
carlsberg export said:
Lil devils x said:
snap.
my snip
It isn't just me...

I am not the only one who has noticed this. I don't want to call out specific cities or towns, as I think that would be rude to them and I don't want them to feel as though I am mocking them or making fun of them. It was just something I noticed that I thought was very odd compared to what I am accustomed to.
Okey, we apparently feel very different about my country and the people here, and you have every right to do so.
It's called cultural differences after all, which you touch on in your own last sentence that I bolded.

In the article you linked, this is the last thing written there:
And so, when I am offended yet again by some small social gentillesse not being done, I stop and think ?Is that rude or is it just Finnish??
Answer: it is just Finnish.

We're not rude.
It would be rude to call us rude ;)
It's just the way we have been brought up to be, like our parents by their parents. Maybe this will change with time, maybe not, we just are like we are. We might be different, but rude or thinking we are better than others, definitely not (speaking for me and my family and friends, there are rude and obnoxious Finns as there are of every nations people).

I'd like to say agree to disagree on this one.
I'm used to the way we are, and don't find it weird or rude, while it might seem like that for someone used to another way of being around people.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Guffe said:
Lil devils x said:
Guffe said:
Lil devils x said:
carlsberg export said:
Lil devils x said:
snap.
my snip
It isn't just me...

Okey, we apparently feel very different about my country and the people here, and you have every right to do so.
It's called cultural differences after all, which you touch on in your own last sentence that I bolded.

In the article you linked, this is the last thing written there:
And so, when I am offended yet again by some small social gentillesse not being done, I stop and think ?Is that rude or is it just Finnish??
Answer: it is just Finnish.

We're not rude.
It would be rude to call us rude ;)
It's just the way we have been brought up to be, like our parents by their parents. Maybe this will change with time, maybe not, we just are like we are. We might be different, but rude or thinking we are better than others, definitely not (speaking for me and my family and friends, there are rude and obnoxious Finns as there are of every nations people).

I'm used to the way we are, and don't find it weird or rude, while it might seem like that for someone used to another way of being around people.
Yes, it is a very different way to be around people. Look through the comments on that linked article.
I had seen younger people treated this way, but then to see that elders were treated this way was terribly disturbing.

My elderly mother was shoved and knocked about by others in crowds without a backward glance. I watched people fall down or drop items and no one moved to help them. Not a single door was held open, nor thanks offered when I held them for others.
It is actually quite ridiculous how hard it seems for grown men and women to simply utter the words "excuse me" or "sorry" if they feel you are in their way. Instead, they elbow themselves past you while throwing their dirtiest look at you.
https://beeinfinland.wordpress.com/2012/10/06/is-that-rude-or-is-it-just-finnish/

How do you call that anything but rude?

Tayh

Apr 6, 2009
Lil devils x said:
Yes, that is not mistaking your "not caring about others" as being rude, it is actually rude. It is more important to apologize for intentional harm done, rather than accidental.
What. Why would you apologise for intentional harm? That sort of implies that you are not actually apologetic, but rather that you think you can just get away with doing harm as long as you include an apology.

Lil devils x said:
community blablabla special snowflake country
What. So you seriously don't think stuff like that don't happen in other countries?
Denmark, in particular, is well-known for its abundance of unions, clubs and communities for just about everything.
You Americans are usually the ones to call us socialists and communists because of our focus on healthcare and the well-being of each other, so it is a little strange to see that kind of accusations coming.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Lil devils x said:
Guffe said:
Lil devils x said:
Guffe said:
Lil devils x said:
carlsberg export said:
Lil devils x said:
snap.
my snip
It isn't just me...

Yes, it is a very different way to be around people. Look through the comments on that linked article.
I had seen younger people treated this way, but then to see that elders were treated this way was terribly disturbing.

Those examplees you brought up are rude people, but those are a few comments on an internet site.
If I wanted I could search up just as many positives.

When I hold the door, people say thank you 99% of the time, when someone holds it for me, I say thanks 100% of the time.
I don't run past people and elbow them, when someone falls I help them, as do my friends. The few times I've fallen/slipped, I've bee helped up.

I feel like you're just searching for the negatives, a few comments on a website doesn't make everyone in that country an ass hole. Most of us are nice people, as in most other countries. It's not a norm in Finland to elbow yourself past people and never say thanks. People I see everyday or so, I say good morning to and they respond (neighbours, cashiers, friends friends friends), we thank each other for small things and say sorry when we do something stupid.

Looking past the 3 pages this topic has gathered, it pretty much seems you're just looking for the negatives of other nations and not accepting the fact that we can be different and still equal, we're just used to our system of being, which is more quiet than yours (talking about Finland on the quiet part).

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Tayh said:
Lil devils x said:
Yes, that is not mistaking your "not caring about others" as being rude, it is actually rude. It is more important to apologize for intentional harm done, rather than accidental.
What. Why would you apologise for intentional harm? That sort of implies that you are not actually apologetic, but rather that you think you can just get away with doing harm as long as you include an apology.

Lil devils x said:
community blablabla special snowflake country
What. So you seriously don't think stuff like that don't happen in other countries?
Denmark, in particular, is well-known for its abundance of unions, clubs and communities for just about everything.
You Americans are usually the ones to call us socialists and communists because of our focus on healthcare and the well-being of each other, so it is a little strange to see that kind of accusations coming.
I am actually Hopi,(they call us communists and socialists too) and currently living in the US. I am actually for public healthcare basic income ect..

Yes, it does happen in other countries. And yes I think everyone should be treated like a special snowflake, everyone should be checked on in the community to make sure they have what they need for the night, everyone is family. IF someone is sick, or unable to cook themselves dinner that night, who helps them if they live alone? How do you know if your neighbors need help that evening if you don't talk to them? To me that is all part of being a community as well. If we didn't talk to our neighbors daily, we would not know when they need help.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Guffe said:
Lil devils x said:
Guffe said:
Lil devils x said:
Guffe said:
Lil devils x said:
carlsberg export said:
Lil devils x said:
snap.
my snip
It isn't just me...

Those examplees you brought up are rude people, but those are a few comments on an internet site.
If I wanted I could search up just as many positives.

When I hold the door, people say thank you 99% of the time, when someone holds it for me, I say thanks 100% of the time.
I don't run past people and elbow them, when someone falls I help them, as do my friends. The few times I've fallen/slipped, I've bee helped up.

I feel like you're just searching for the negatives, a few comments on a website doesn't make everyone in that country an ass hole. Most of us are nice people, as in most other countries. It's not a norm in Finland to elbow yourself past people and never say thanks. People I see everyday or so, I say good morning to and they respond (neighbours, cashiers, friends friends friends), we thank each other for small things and say sorry when we do something stupid.

Looking past the 3 pages this topic has gathered, it pretty much seems you're just looking for the negatives of other nations and not accepting the fact that we can be different and still equal, we're just used to our system of being, which is more quiet than yours (talking about Finland on the quiet part).
OF course I am not just searching for negatives, you told me you have never heard of such so I was pointing out that I was not the only one who noticed these exact behaviors I was discussing, it was not uncommon.

I can point out very many negatives of where I am as well (as I have not failed to discuss on these forums already) however, this thread was specifically about the differences with how the different nations interact among the general public so of course that is what I am discussing. Of course there are positives about all cultures, but this wasn't a thread about those. I think all cultures can stand to learn much from one another and have things they can improve. I am not going to pretend the awful things do not exist in this society simply because I am living here. ( I already stated I am surrounded by racists and snobs on the other thread)

I see no point in defending the negatives of my culture, as that just means they will take longer to improve. It isn't like cultures do not improve over time.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Addendum_Forthcoming said:
Lil devils x said:
I agree ... whenever I need an excuse am stressed, I reach for a bottle of red. Though in this case I am a random crazy talking to you. I got certified ages ago. I think people should have random thingson their person. Something that can serve as an icebreaker. Make people more approachable.

I think the world would be a better place if everybody was more random in their outward appearance for the sake of strangers making conversation. Well ... I don't think it would be a better place. I just think it would be a stranger place, that might actively work against people making more realistic social connections.

"By law; your clothes should be 5 more percentage points on weird, and your hair at least 13 points more fantastic on the eclecto-meter ... get them out of my sight..." says the disguisted police constable with a pink mullet and an inflatable hammer in exchange of their baton.
Why do I get the feeling you want to live in the "Who Framed Rodger Rabbit" world?