Ever Cheer For the Bad Guy?

The Singularity

Jun 3, 2008
I root for the bad guys a lot, because they usually have much better reasons for what they do, and are normally 500 times smarter than the good guys. In Avatar it was never explained what unobtainium was so I decided it was for the treatment of cancer and saving the lives of billions. Also with the end of Avatar all I had to say was "Then 5 years later they return because prices soared, and this time they just released a bio-weapon that wiped out all life on the planet. Or just made the atmosphere oxygen so they could breathe and the natives couldn't. Death Notes main person had a great goal so I rooted for him and I guess he was evil.
iLikeHippos said:
One Piece. Most of the time because the "evil" protagonists are so damn awesome.

That's all.
That and the fact all the good guys are PIRATES who run around killing the Navy because the Navy are trying to defend the regular people. And Crocodile is a badass.

Aug 17, 2009
Slashers in general, really. Usually the group of people that are being killed in a Slasher film are too stupid to live. For fictional characters, that is.

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
Yep, Tom from Tom & Jerry... Its set out so you are supposed to cheer for Jerry, but he is a thief. All Tom is trying to do is stop Jerry stealing (most of the time) and kids never seemed to realize that. Tom & Jerry teaches bad morales kids, dont be a mouse.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
A lot of the time I cheer for the villain in every form of media because sometimes the villain is a better character or main characters are tossers.

Like in the movie Dark Knight, Heath improved the film overall so I rooted for him even though I knew he was going to lose.

Or in the show Naruto, I wanted all the characters to die from the constantly annoying flash backs and sobbing.

And in some RPG games, there were characters that annoyed me so often I even drew them dying because I hated them so much.

Ryuo

Dec 5, 2009
Cheveyo said:
In Law Abiding Citizen, I wanted Clyde to kill everyone.
Exactly.
But I'm going to go on a limb and say everyone wanted Clyde to take 'em all out. (Or should have)

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
Nazulu said:
Or in the show Naruto, I wanted all the characters to die from the constantly annoying flash backs and sobbing.
Woah, except for Shikamaru. He is cool, he is super intelligent and lazy... all the other characters suck, thats true.

EDIT: Especially Naruto.

Tarakos

May 21, 2009
I was pissed Gerard Butler didn't win in Law Abiding Citizen. I was also pissed John Travolta lost in Pelham 123. As long as the bad guy isn't characterized as unlikable as possible, I'll root for them.

gim73

Jul 17, 2008
Suprised that nobody has said Swordfish yet. Here is a movie where the bad guy actually wins in the end. Well worth watching.

I kept looking for the alternate ending for 'Law Abiding Citizen' where Clive hides the bomb somewhere not in plain view and blows up the mayor then gets away. Sadly, it was not to be, because Hollywood doesn't like letting the bad guy get away in the end. Call them weak or just plain stupid, they like letting law enforcement win against genius with motives.

Calling Darth Maul a villian is like calling the droids in episode 1 villians. It's just not true. If anyone is the villian of episode 1 it's the poor writing, anikin, jar jar binks and quag-on jin. If George Lucas learned anything from years of movie making he would have written Anikin to be a sidekick character like Short Round in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. Instead we have a bumbling accidental hero who succeeds without knowing what is at stake and makes the movie worse for the experience. Jar Jar served to provoke everyone around him to hate the 'heroes' and be a bumbling fool. Quag-on was one of the most foolish jedi knights of all time and got himself killed in the process. Was darth maul supposed to be a villian? I just figured he was a jedi knight sent by the council to punish Quag-on for abusing his force persuade on everyone. Aside from dressing in black and wielding a light saber, he doesn't really strike me as a sith. He was written to have about as much of a personality as the droid army guys, which is to say none. Hell, the storm troopers in episode 4 have more personality, at least they go see movies.

As for the original trilogy alone empire, there are several indications of the evil the empire has wrought. All of the original trilogy happens on outer rim planets, meaning it's farther from the center of empire control, which is pretty extreme. Han discusses how difficult smuggling is under the empire due to random searches. Not that random searches are all that evil, but it doesn't help the aura of oppression feeling the empire is imparting. They dissolve the Imperial senate to give exclusive power to the emperor. Now we are going towards Rome, where the corrupt emperors rules with reckless abandon and committed great atrocities. Blowing up an inhabited planet to demonstrate the power of their new weapon... been said before, but pretty evil. Vader force chocking all his admirals: just a personal thing, but it earns him some dark side points, but also proves that the empire doesn't allow for failure in their military, which is another act of evil on their part. Ordering the fleet to pursue into an asteroid field despite the odds that most of the fleet would get pulverized for minimal reward: is that evil or just plain stupid? In the end a single bounty hunter found where they were going and sent the info to Vader. Did they need to put the fleet at risk when independent contractors would willingly go into danger for them? I think not. The empire changes their deal with Lando whenever they feel like it and take over in the end despite getting everything they ask for. Return of the Jedi doesn't have much in it to prove the empires evil. Sending AT ATs to take down a bunch of furry natives was perfectly justified. If anything, the rebellion could have been seen as evil because they were gonna blow up a space station without defenses and under construction with engineers and construction crews onboard. That's pretty sick!

Somebody mentioned One piece. The TV series bad guys are all the worst brands of bullies. Arlong sets up camp and forces everyone to pay 100k a month or die. He's a racist who believes that fishmen are the master race and humans should serve them or die. Crocidile sets the stage for a civil war and puts a bomb where they are fighting so both sides will die. Eniel sets himself up as a god and uses his men to dominate the sky island. The world government and nobles are perhaps some of the most evil individuals to ever show up in an anime. The marines back these ass-hats and do things like blow up an entire island to kill a nine year old girl. Every filler villian and half the movie villians I can kinda relate to because their plan involves hurting some annoying little brat. The only time the brats show up is during the filler, which is some of the worst filler out there. Just plain bad filler and stupid kids that ruin the series (almost as bad as naruto episode 135-219).

signingupforgames

Dec 20, 2009
jibjab963 said:
Yes I often do root for the bad guys. One example is in game called Gears of War. I root for the "Bad Guys" because there only defending there planet from who? Humans of course. There is no way around it that Humans are the bad guys. Wait, does that mean I am rooting for the good guys?
No, just the antagonists.

Luke5515

Aug 25, 2008
In a star wars book I'm reading, I want the good guys to win, but the bad guy is just so dam charismatic that I can't help but hope he wins.

Sarcasm Spasm

Mar 14, 2010
Only when the "bad guys" have a reason that I can understand and agree with, but then I usually don't consider them the bad guys.
Bad is merely a perception

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Kinguendo said:
Nazulu said:
Woah, except for Shikamaru. He is cool, he is super intelligent and lazy... all the other characters suck, thats true.

EDIT: Especially Naruto.
Well I didn't mean they necessarily sucked (except Naruto), but you know when something annoys you a lot of the time and you just wished it died, it was like that for me during Naruto. Also Orochimaru and the Akatsuki are 10 times cooler as well, they deserved to win for having such awesome techniques.

I'll agree with Shikamaru though, he didn't piss away time with annoying crap and make any cliche's.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
From time to time, sure. In the movie Heat, I never knew who to root for and would have been disappointed no matter how the final showdown turned out.

Fenreil

Mar 14, 2010
I root for the bad guy all the time. One of my biggest ones was the old Disney version of Hercules.

Damn you Hercules, you smug bastard. So what if Hades wants revenge on Olympus? He's only doing it because everyone up there is a huge dick to him and has their kids beat him up. Also, your name is Herakles! Not Hercules!

Phantomess

Sep 19, 2009
Two Johnny Depp films - Secret Window and Once Upon A Time In Mexico.

Both films he - technically - played the bad guy. Both times he technically won.

The one time I wish he'd won was The Astronaut's Wife.
Charlize Theron should have fried.