Funny events in anti-woke world

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands

Common Russian supporter, and far-right L.
Why would they need to be duped when their stances all align perfectly with the Kremlin already? I'd have more respect for them if they just admitted they loved Russia that much.

I wouldn't be surprised if some Russian traces were also found on pundits who say the theft of Crimea was a justified fucking act or how theocratic pirates targeting mainly western ships are just doing what Luffy would have done.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
The fact that there's no posting of this on republican social media pretty much says it all. If this was a thing republicans were doing, how is it not on their social medias?
Probably because it's embarrassing for them. Do Republicans regularly post about how they put on diapers to support Trump? Because that one was unequivocally proven true.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
The fact that there's no posting of this on republican social media pretty much says it all. If this was a thing republicans were doing, how is it not on their social medias?

As to the matter of if the pics are actually legit or not is itself another thing. The original claim is basically "look at what these dumb people are doing now" and like I said above, that definitely looks to not be a thing. So do you can consider either the claim itself, or the pictures being fake, or both being a hoax? The claim itself is definitely a hoax and if the pictures are legit or fake, does it really matter? You can go to like an rally and get a picture of people holding something stupid. Why you guys go an seek out this dumb content is beyond me.
As I've already stated, you don't need to keep proving you don't understand what the word hoax is

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Apparently conservatives don't know that Latinos speak Spanish, not Latin.

1725754838286.png

Last edited:

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Er...

So, apparently, she's been harassing this guy for years, including calls outside work hours and telling him explicit stories about her sexual encounters. He reported her already for some of this, but nothing happened. Plus - because people are consistent and this behaviour rarely comes out of nowhere - it seems a few years previously was involved in an incident where whilst inebriated, she repeatedly struck a male companion, and was abusive and threatening to police and medical staff.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria

Go to @2:14 for a takedown of the "we never had a problem with Ripley or Sarah in the 80s" argument and the claim that fans were never racists towards black Star Wars actors in the past (the video has a clip where Billy Dee Williams talks about how he was harassed by white people because of Lando betryaing Han).

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Go to @2:14 for a takedown of the "we never had a problem with Ripley or Sarah in the 80s" argument and the claim that fans were never racists towards black Star Wars actors in the past (the video has a clip where Billy Dee Williams talks about how he was harassed by white people because of Lando betryaing Han).
I don't think anyone ever claimed that no fans were racist or sexist, in the past or currently. There are certainly terrible people out there. The claim is that big-budget heavily advertised movies don't fail because of racists or sexists, they most likely fail because they aren't good, and movie studios use diversity cynically to give themselves a scapegoat in case their movie bombs.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
I don't think anyone ever claimed that no fans were racist or sexist, in the past or currently.
Yes, they have. It's the go-to response of the racists and sexists whenever someone pushes back against them. We've seen it with every Star Wars project that was attacked on the basis of having women and minorities in prominent roles, and it's continuing now with The Acolyte. And that's just looking at Star Wars.

There are certainly terrible people out there. The claim is that big-budget heavily advertised movies don't fail because of racists or sexists, they most likely fail because they aren't good, and movie studios use diversity cynically to give themselves a scapegoat in case their movie bombs.
Every movie that has failed - whether financially, critically or both - has failed for a variety of reasons (and plenty of well-received movies didn't make money, while a number of movies with a mixed or negative reaction made bank. See most films made by Michael Bay). But it's only when a movie starring a diverse cast and helmed by a diverse crew fails that the blame placed mostly or entirely on the women, racial minorities or LGBT people that were involved. The bigots who will claim they aren't bigoted will continue to yell "Go Woke, Go Broke" every time a diverse movie fails and pretend the diverse movies that didn't fail weren't diverse - that is, when they don't also claim the studio faked box office numbers like they did for Captain Marvel.

I don't know if these studios are using marginalized groups to give themselves a scapegoat but it's not like the anti-woke crowd aren't happy to scapegoat said marginalized groups when a film or show bombs. As they are doing, again, with the latest Star Wars media that they got pissed off at before it even aired. To the point of review bombing a movie that had a similar name to the show.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Yes, they have. It's the go-to response of the racists and sexists whenever someone pushes back against them. We've seen it with every Star Wars project that was attacked on the basis of having women and minorities in prominent roles, and it's continuing now with The Acolyte. And that's just looking at Star Wars.
I believe people say that they themselves aren't racist. It's the claim that people say no Star Wars fans are racist that is questionable.
But it's only when a movie starring a diverse cast and helmed by a diverse crew fails that the blame placed mostly or entirely on the women, racial minorities or LGBT people that were involved.
I'm quite certain the blame is being placed on the decision makers who chose the direction of the movie, not just any random person involved, but that's neither here nor there.
The bigots who will claim they aren't bigoted will continue to yell "Go Woke, Go Broke" every time a diverse movie fails and pretend the diverse movies that didn't fail weren't diverse - that is, when they don't also claim the studio faked box office numbers like they did for Captain Marvel.
Sure, but the question here is whether movies are succeeding or failing because of these people, and I'm inclined to think it's decidedly no. There are plenty of people online excited to see things with women and minorities failing, there's no doubt about that, but these people are sad and powerless, yelling into the void. They do not make or break a movie, and likely if anything serve as free publicity.
I don't know if these studios are using marginalized groups to give themselves a scapegoat but it's not like the anti-woke crowd aren't happy to scapegoat said marginalized groups when a film or show bombs. As they are doing, again, with the latest Star Wars media that they got pissed off at before it even aired. To the point of review bombing a movie that had a similar name to the show.
The studio did start advertising the queer coding and female prominence like 3 years in advance of its release. They undoubtedly did so with purpose.

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
The claim is that big-budget heavily advertised movies don't fail because of racists or sexists, they most likely fail because they aren't good, and movie studios use diversity cynically to give themselves a scapegoat in case their movie bombs.
I don't think studios use diversity as a scapegoat. I think it's that movie-making is, overall, deeply unoriginal. Someone with talent, vision and luck finds a horse, and then the system vigorously flogs it to death. Diversity is often a way of trying to eke a few extra breaths out of the dying horse.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Probably because it's embarrassing for them. Do Republicans regularly post about how they put on diapers to support Trump? Because that one was unequivocally proven true.

And this one isn't, which is my point...

As I've already stated, you don't need to keep proving you don't understand what the word hoax is
When someone says XYZ group of people is doing ABC and there's no evidence of that, that's literally a hoax by the definition of the word.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
And this one isn't, which is my point...
No, your point was that you "know" it's a hoax because it wasn't discussed on conservative websites. So my question is, was the Trump diaper thing something that was discussed on conservative websites? That's apparently your standard for if something is real or not.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
No, your point was that you "know" it's a hoax because it wasn't discussed on conservative websites. So my question is, was the Trump diaper thing something that was discussed on conservative websites? That's apparently your standard for if something is real or not.
Firstly, it's not on me to prove some claim is false, it's on the person claiming that to prove their claim. Secondly, the fact that there's just the one user, IIRC, that posted these photos. What's the logical chances of something being a "thing" if only one person has pictures of said "thing"? There's no evidence that this is a thing.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Firstly, it's not on me to prove some claim is false, it's on the person claiming that to prove their claim. Secondly, the fact that there's just the one user, IIRC, that posted these photos. What's the logical chances of something being a "thing" if only one person has pictures of said "thing"? There's no evidence that this is a thing.
Since you've chosen not to answer the question I'll take that as a no.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
So you've gone from

to

I don't use social media so...
If you don't use social media then why is your criteria for whether or not something is real whether or not it was mentioned on Republican social media?

And like I said, why would Republicans post about something on their social media if it's actively embarrassing to them? Again, did they proudly post about how they were wearing diapers for Trump?