Games that genuinely make you angry.

Buleet

Feb 21, 2010
Team fortress HATES me. It's the only possible explanation i can find.
A ping of 40 and a server latency of 34. In the middle of every battle, at the worst possible moment,I lag. It's just a stutter of 0.5 seconds but it's always in those 0.5 seconds that a crocket decides to head for my face, A spy appears, a heavy-medic combo happens, a sniper.
It all leads to my character standing around like a ponce and getting blown to bits.
It is so bad that it really isn't believable anymore. It all sounds like excuses but it's the sad, SAD, truth.

Fortunately it started subsiding now.
I can actually get somewhere without lagging at the worst possible moment.

sgtshock

Feb 11, 2009
The War of the Worlds game that came out on XBLA a few months ago got me pretty frustrated. I'm kind of a huge WOTW nerd, so the crapiness of this game was a massive disappointment to me. For the first half hour or so, I was enamored with the game, but as I played I realized the game was completely broken.

The controls were sluggish and your character had the reaction time of a sloth. Checkpoints only worked half the time. There were instant deaths that were completely unpredictable (for instance, a 12 foot wall that clearly provided cover would only protect you from the heat ray if you crouched down behind it. A twelve-foot wall only protected you if you crouched behind it). And if it wasn't hard enough, it was riddled with game-breaking glitches. It was supposed to be "Old-school hard", but if this game is their definition of hardcore, then call me a casual.

It nailed the atmosphere and theme of WOTW so well, the fact that the game itself was so broken was soul-crushing.

oneeyemug

Jan 14, 2012
TF2. Every time I start up steam, it slows down my computer to download a new set of hats with an update. It got so annoying I had to uninstall it.

darkcalling

Sep 29, 2011
Dead Rising. Love the idea, HATE the game. Everything is timed. Frank can't take a hit at all near the beginning (never got very far at all)

Dead Island. Love the game but I nearly rage quit like 3 times and might give up on the Ryder White dlc altogether. The game is clearly designed for multiplayer and I don't begrudge them that. But if the game CAN be played in Single-Player then it should be rebalanced for Single-Player. There are the exact same number of zombies with one person as there are with 4 according to my friend who has played it multiplayer.

Crackdown 2. Looked like fun. Big colorful city to stomp around in. Superpowered cop as a player character. Not a shred of plot or direction. bored to tears. Haven't played it in almost a year.

ExileNZ

Dec 15, 2007
Eclpsedragon said:
I don't buy games that I know for sure are going to make me angry. I know some people do, but I don't like challenge.

I just get angry at a certain part of a game and rage quit.

Example:
In Final Fantasy 10, on the airship after fighting that bird carpet boss Evrae about twelve times. I just couldn't stand him anymore, every time I got close to killing him he'd caste haste on himself and murder my characters.
Off-topic, but did none of your characters have slow?

Get that shit ready when he starts getting low on health.

miketehmage

Jul 22, 2009
League of Legends. There isn't a single game I get through without raging.

I often wonder why I still play it.

ExileNZ

Dec 15, 2007
DigitalAtlas said:
CrimsonBlaze said:
Pokemon Black and White for obvious reasons.

Mainly because it's a step back in the wrong direction in terms of the game series and people are praising it. Now a sequel is confirmed for it. A 2 year time lapse does not make a game a sequel, especially when there are no new elements to be found compare to it's "prequel."
Someone should watch some of those trailers. Besides, Golden Sun did it.

Games that leave me angry.....

MEGA MAN X6
MEGA MAN X6
MEGA MAN X6
MEGA MAN X6
MEGA MAN X6
MEGA MAN X6
MEGA MAN X6
MEGA MAN X6
MEGA MAN X6
MEGA MAN X6
MEGA MAN X6
MEGA MAN X6
MEGA MAN X6

Did I make my point yet?
Think you missed a couple of games there...

MEGA MAN X6
MEGA MAN X6
MEGA MAN X6
MEGA MAN X6
MEGA MAN X6
MEGA MAN X6
MEGA MAN X6
MEGA MAN X6
MEGA MAN X6
MEGA MAN X6
MEGA MAN X6
MEGA MAN X6
MEGA MAN X6

I hear you man, I hear you...
(hand on shoulder and man-tears)
(EDIT: Unless you're a chick - that's cool too)

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
sgtshock said:
The War of the Worlds game that came out on XBLA a few months ago got me pretty frustrated. I'm kind of a huge WOTW nerd, so the crapiness of this game was a massive disappointment to me. For the first half hour or so, I was enamored with the game, but as I played I realized the game was completely broken.

The controls were sluggish and your character had the reaction time of a sloth. Checkpoints only worked half the time. There were instant deaths that were completely unpredictable (for instance, a 12 foot wall that clearly provided cover would only protect you from the heat ray if you crouched down behind it. A twelve-foot wall only protected you if you crouched behind it). And if it wasn't hard enough, it was riddled with game-breaking glitches. It was supposed to be "Old-school hard", but if this game is their definition of hardcore, then call me a casual.

It nailed the atmosphere and theme of WOTW so well, the fact that the game itself was so broken was soul-crushing.
I'm a big WotW nerd myself. It's my favourite book!

Try the Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds game, the RTS! It's sheer awesome sauce.

Arrogancy

Jun 9, 2009
I have only one response to this: Eternal Sonata. Don't ask me why I played it, I'm ashamed enough that I did.

bossfight1

Apr 23, 2009
Mindjack; because it serves as an unpleasant reminder that the game industry will still spit out stinking piles of shit and think we will enjoy it.

ExileNZ

Dec 15, 2007
Azuaron said:
Borderlands has me pretty pissed off right now.

For the Secret Armory of General Knoxx DLC, after you defeat Knoxx, you blow up the armory, right? So you walk in, and you're standing on an elevator. There are three buttons to press. You are not told which button to press.

I press the left-most button. The bomb becomes active. I press the middle button. The elevator takes me down into the armory.

Oh, that one on the right? Yeah, that's the one that actually ends the quest, and if you don't press it before lowering the elevator, you're screwed and can never complete that quest or the two subsequent quests breaking back into the armory.

Apparently the only way to get around it is to find someone online who just happens to be at the end of the Knoxx quest and piggyback your way into the armory.

But, for the most part, I don't get angry at games. For instance, I recently played Deus Ex (the original) for the first time, and I really didn't like the gameplay. So I just turned God mode on. *shrug* I was only there for the story, anyway.
Godmode? You mean "put all your points into pistols"?

RipRoaringWaterfowl

Jun 20, 2011
Battlefield: Bad Company 2.

I was expecting it to have the same sense of humour and ridiculousness of Bad Company 1. It failed terribly in that respect. Campaign was pretty dull, too. It initiated me into the camp of disliking EA, and I frown at DICE for forgetting that humour is nice, too, you know.

JamesStone

If it ain't broken, get to work
Jun 9, 2010
League of Legends can make me truly rage like nothing else. But that's because of my teammates. 70% of the time, my teammate is an immature piece of shit that can't play in team if his life depended on it and that flames the whole game.

It's not the game itself that makes me angry, it's the other people.

samus_smash

Apr 2, 2010
FFX- I wanted to punch Tidus in the face every time he spoke. Plus, some of the sidequests were so terrible. I got to the very end, started trying to get all the best weapons and gave up. I had better things to do than dodge lighting 100 billion times, play that stupid Blitzball...thing...and win an impossible chocobo race.

Saints Row 2 and 3- Now, I love these games, but every now and then, they throw a very frustrating mission at you with multiple parts and if you mess up near the end, you have to start all over. Also, helicopter missions. HATE.

Finally, ME3 multiplayer when you get that upload data mission on wave 10, and you have to hold up in the one spot in the WHOLE DAMN MAP that is impossible to defend. This is especially frustrating when I get put with terrible players who have a habit of dying right away and leaving me alone to finish a mission.

ExileNZ

Dec 15, 2007
ChaplainOrion said:
Super Mario Sunshine, I've never beaten the game.
FREAKING NO WATER JETPACK LEVEL BASTARDS!
Alright, seriously? After the rest of the game, I found that to be a nice trip back to my roots.

You HAVE already won Mario Brothers, right?

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
Mother. Fucking. Skullgirls.

Why, you may ask? Is it because the game is fucking terrible?

Not in the slightest. Which is precisely my problem with it. Why must a game be so fun to play, and yet have matchmaking that is so goddamn terrible? Considering that I arrived at the Skullgirls online scene a fair bit later than the (seeming) majority of players, most everyone is much more highly ranked than myself.

This would actually provide me with a good experience if the game let me fucking play those guys. But no, I can only fight people at my tier, who are so goddamn few in number, I've waited upwards of half and hour waiting for a match before getting frustrated and moving on to Third Strike.

And on the rare occasion I actually get a match, it'll usually be with:

(a) someone far better than me, someone likely unfortunate enough to have had enough unlucky matches to get knocked down a tier, comes along and brutalizes me so thoroughly I don't actually learn anything, which knocks me down the tiers even further, limiting the matches I can participate in even more in the process.

(b) someone far worse than me comes along and poses no threat whatsoever, and I learn nothing.

(c) someone with what was supposed to be a pretty goddamn fantastic ping turns up, and yet the match lags so fucking much that actually playing is so goddamn difficult that I can't do anything.

In short, Skullgirls pisses me off for being so much fun while having the second worst online component I've ever played.

First worst was Mortal Kombat, but at least my friends would actually feel like playing that one on occasion, so the online wasn't an issue.

ExileNZ

Dec 15, 2007
Actually, this was a thread about games that make you "genuinely angry" because they're bad, but mostly here all I'm seeing is rage-quitting.

What gives?

Here's my 2c:

KOTOR 2: What. The. Fuck.
Some wonderful ideas, nice setup, interesting story and then PTTHHHHHHHHHHHHT.

Starcraft : 15 years and a sequel later and they're STILL CHARGING 20 FUCKING DOLLARS FOR IT.

There's the closest thing to my rage-quit right there. I won't buy your stupid game.

ShakyFiend

Jun 10, 2009
Nearly gritted my teeth into oblivion to the tune of Dark Soul.

I was SO close to loving Mass Effect 3 but couldn't quite manage it, Mordin
dies
way too early apart from anything else and then...well I didn't actually mind the ending so much as huge bloody non-sequitur with the illusive man right before it and the gaudy horrific effing cut scene right after it.

(mods, if complaining about ME3's ending now warrants an insta-ban; please spare me, I had no idea)

Saying WOW used to make me angry is slightly disingenuous as it wasn't the game so much as the people who inhabited it...

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
DotA/LoL any MOBA game, really.
You're at the mercy of other people; if your team sucks there is nothing you can do.

If your team doesn't suck, you can STILL fail due to competing egos and inter-team bickering.
And even if you do win, is it really worthwhile having people ***** at you the whole time, or fuck, even AFTER the game has ended?

DigitalAtlas said:
Someone should watch some of those trailers. Besides, Golden Sun did it.

Games that leave me angry.....

MEGA MAN X6
Yeah. Lets start off with a hasty retcon of X5's ending, because, it's not as though that was meant to conclude a series or something.

Then lets move into wildly inconsistent gameplay whose difficulty swings between soul-crushing, "I Wanna Be the Guy" (not exaggerating one bit there. It really can be that difficult in places, and I've beat IWBTG.) and tedious.
Gate Stage 2 can suck my left nut, and Nightmare Mother can suck my right.

And the fucking Nightmare Effects...I want to strangle whoever thought it'd be a great idea to create an effect that shrouds 3/4ths of the screen in blackness in an already grieftastic platformer. Dumb luck is NOT legitimate difficulty, Capcom.