Games that haven't aged well.

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
What is your guys definition of aging? Is this strictly a graphics discussion??

Because a lot of PS1/N64 games still play very well, so I say they have aged pretty well. Super Mario 64 still plays great, OoT still plays great, even if the graphics are very bad in comparison to today.

When I think of ages badly, I think of games like Onimusha with its goddamn tank controls. Or Morrowind, with its first person dice roll combat. The game is still great, but you can only try to hit people with an arrow so many times before you wish the combat was more like Skyrim.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Day of the tentacle, it's humour feels more like a first time college project than anything else. Then again, I wasn't around to appreciate it when it first came out.

Resident evil. Can't do it. Can't appreciate those controls and bumbling about between time-wasting doors. Didn't have much choice at the time though.

Body Harvest. Oh dear. There is a really cool idea somewhere amongst the mess of that game, maybe some team with actual talent and understanding can reboot it at some point? Maybe its' ambition outclassed its' budget. *Cough* [small]and quality assurance team[/small] *very convincing cough*

Tomb raider. Not graphics, though they are arse, not exactly a dealbreaker. Just the weird control scheme. Might have seemed unique at the time, but there's a reason it didn't stick around much.

Morrowind. Died to the first buggering rat due to my extraordinary stabbing skills at point blank range that miss 90% of my frantic lunges. Then the large pyramid labryinth town with every hall looking identical. And those fucking pterodactyls. Fine, they aren't called that, but that's what they bloody well are. Always messing up my relaxing countryside strolls.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
Fallout 1 and 2. They were such fantastic games for their time. But try and replay them now, it's just way too clunky and tedious for me.

Same for Syndicate.

Also Need for Speed 2 SE. I played it to death and loved it, but the last time I had a go at it I just couldn't see what all the fuss was about.

Other honorable mentions to me:
-Planescape Torment
-Jagged Alliance 1, XCOM: Terror from the Deep (JA2 holds up surprisingly well though)
-Duke Nukem 3D, Dark Forces
-KoToR

I'm afraid I'd disagree strongly with anyone who says Half-Life 2. Yes it's not bleeding edge anymore but the accumulation of details in that game are what made it shine, and still do today. Simple things, like how NPC's eyes track you and comment on your movements, physics on all the different objects, the way the narrative flows without cutscenes, even the feel of the weapons..it's just still head and shoulders above so many shooters which miss much of the basics even now.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
I can think of plenty of games that have aged but not aged well is a bit harder simply because I still find I can enjoy any game as much now as when I first played it simply because I know what I am doing and how it feels.

Graphically I would say early 3D games have aged the worse but again its not like they look any worse now they just looked that way back then albeit it is definitely amplified in comparison to modern example. Virtua Fighter 1 is a good example for me I just could not understand why anyone would want to play such an ugly fighter over some of the beautiful 2D ones at the time.

I do find it hard to play a lot of old games say 1990 and before nowadays if I did not play them much or at all back then simply because I do not have a feel for them.

A good game will always be a good game imo yes it will age but if its core is solid it will never age badly.

Chanticoblues

Apr 6, 2016
I'm not sure how much I buy into games not holding up.

When I think of that idea, I think of games that got by on their novelty. Playing a video game at home rather than at the arcade was novel, so back in the day we enjoyed games on the first two generations of video game consoles. Playing a shooter with four player split-screen was novel, so we enjoyed Goldeneye. But what does that say about the games? Nothing really. It's just what's novel to us changes.

I think it's a little unfair saying "game x doesn't hold up". Just say it's not good, it'll provoke more discussion and make you feel more accountable for what might be your own hangups.

skim172

Nov 28, 2007
Chanticoblues said:
I'm not sure how much I buy into games not holding up.

When I think of that idea, I think of games that got by on their novelty. Playing a video game at home rather than at the arcade was novel, so back in the day we enjoyed games on the first two generations of video game consoles. Playing a shooter with four player split-screen was novel, so we enjoyed Goldeneye. But what does that say about the games? Nothing really. It's just what's novel to us changes.

I think it's a little unfair saying "game x doesn't hold up". Just say it's not good, it'll provoke more discussion and make you feel more accountable for what might be your own hangups.
For me, I think it's more in regards to standards. Technological limitations obviously means that an older game will not look as good as a successor 20 years on. So I don't think it's fair to judge an older game based solely on graphics or in-game physics or anything else dependent on processing power.

However, I would argue that standards for quality in games have changed quite a lot - especially as games are a pretty recent medium. There's a lot of crap in older games that we were willing to put up with because we didn't expect games could do any better. Because, well, games were kind of a trashy medium, really, and quality wasn't really something people looked for.

As a personal example for me, I'd say "Megaman Soccer" - a poorly made soccer game (even for the time) which was an obvious Megaman-related cash tie-in. Its graphics were actually pretty good considering it was SNES, but everyone ran really slowly - their animation cycles were literally two sprites, so everyone looked like paper cutouts gliding across the screen - and the mechanics of passing and shooting didn't make sense. Because of this, there was only one way to score a goal, and that was by using a special superpower that made the ball unblockable and kill everyone who got near it including the keeper - which then made the game ridiculously easy.

Point is, it was a bad game, but I played it religiously - because I had very few other games for the SNES, and I had a low bar for quality.

As a counter-example, I think "Deus Ex" actually holds up pretty well. The graphics are terrible, the maps are tiny, and gameplay can get repetitive - that's a restriction of processing power and hardware at the time. But the mechanics of the game are mechanics that are still used today - stealth by crouch-walking outside enemies' vision, lockpicking, hacking security terminals to gain control of cameras and turrets, extra exposition revealed through diary logs you find around the environment, sniper scopes that swayed, aiming reticles changing in accuracy based on your movement and whether you were crouching, non-lethal weapons that let you play without killing people, modding weapons to add silencers or whatever, interactive cutscenes that allowed you to choose your responses, a basic relationship mechanic that changed how characters reacted to you based on whether or not you'd done something they liked or disliked (eg. my first playthrough, having Paul berate me for killing so many people in the Statue), hub-based maps where you had a central location from where you could go to linked areas for missions and sidequests - and that's just some of the core mechanics that you see in a lot of games now.

You could even argue that Deus Ex did some things better than many modern games - like maps that truly had player freedom to reach an objective any number of ways (sniping enemies from roofs, lockpicking the back door, blowing up the front door, convincing a hobo to tell you about the secret underground tunnel, using super-strength to move a fridge out of the way, or ... being really good at swimming). Or, Deus Ex's master stroke - having a branching storyline that really did change depending on your choices, with multiple endings that were more varied than "Good Ending vs Evil Ending". Deus Ex confronted you with tough moral choices and gave you a story that played out depending on your personal moral beliefs without hamhandedly telling you you were a good/evil person.

Of course, it helps that the creative staff behind Deus Ex have now been distributed throughout the industry, planting its influence into many current studios.

Getting back to the topic of games that don't hold up: Lords of the Realm 2. I loved that game so much, and I really do wish there was a modern game that simulated the experience of commanding a siege of a castle at a tactical level like that. However - the game was a lot of crap, really. Base management amounted to putting the right number of resources into the right area and then checking the numbers the following turn - it was basically a very fancy complicated spreadsheet. And combat amounted to just getting a huge horde of archers who could then shoot everyone dead before they even got close.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Ezekiel said:
Most people just didn't see it for the overrated game it was.
That's a pleonasm, and a shitty one. Overrated isn't game criticism, it's people criticism: people enjoy this game too much. That's completely arrogant.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
trunkage said:
Daggerfall is still one of my favourite games (way better than Morrowind in my opinion) but it looks like trash
i hate to admit it but you are right on every count there, i still remember being amazing at how expansive the world was..still is but yeah it looks like a dumpster fire.. but a dumpster fire has better graphics

*pats daggerfall* shh shh its ok pookie still loves you

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
CaitSeith said:
Ezekiel said:
That's a pleonasm, and a shitty one. Overrated isn't game criticism, it's people criticism: people enjoy this game too much. That's completely arrogant.
No, you're just being obtuse. People say it to mean that the game is shit, and the comment you just quoted is a perfect example. We still see plenty of people who hate criticism of entertainment because they see it extending to themselves, don't add to that please.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
pookie101 said:
trunkage said:
Daggerfall is still one of my favourite games (way better than Morrowind in my opinion) but it looks like trash
i hate to admit it but you are right on every count there, i still remember being amazing at how expansive the world was..still is but yeah it looks like a dumpster fire.. but a dumpster fire has better graphics

*pats daggerfall* shh shh its ok pookie still loves you
And the 2D models rotating to try and make it look 3D... Every temple had topless women... Maps sometimes wouldnt generate properly... breaking quests with realising it...
Still it was an incredible game

Zeke63

Jul 10, 2012
Jade Empire....which is really sad cause story and conversation wise it was as profound and epic an experience as kotor and dragon age origins. God I miss classic bioware....mass effect andromeda is probably going to be basic beyond belief

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Going to second the controls issue, hard to go back to old clunky interfaces.

Oh, and Duke Nukem 3D. Though, not convinced that was a good game, it was Doom with worse level design and some odd gimmicks thrown in, one of which was being "mature". In retrospect, it was not.

gsilver

Apr 21, 2010
Country
USA
Ezekiel said:
Being revolutionary doesn't make something good, even in its time.
This reminds me of when I did some research on the first 1st person shooter with both on-foot and vehicles (some guy was saying it was Halo; I had a good laugh and then did some research)

Turns out it was The Terminator for Dos (1990; No, FPS didn't start with Wolfenstein, either).
Was that game revolutionary for tying together FPS and both on foot, vehicles, and even the open sandbox? Maybe
Was it any good? Hahahahahaha. NO.

aozgolo

Mar 15, 2011
Johnny Novgorod said:
Everything from the N64/PS1 era.
Actually I find some of these games age better than many newer ones. Basically though it's the ones with fixed cameras that do the best. Legend of Mana still looks beautiful to me. Despite there being a much newer remake, Oddworld still looks great. Even Wild ARMs, Lunar, Suikoden, and all of those age very well, but this is largely due to them not being 3D or at least not completely (battles are in Wild ARMs) though even some with more 3D look nice like Jade Cocoon (granted it's pre-rendered backgrounds with 3D sprites).

Rabish Bini

Jun 11, 2011
Callate said:
I've recently been re-playing Warlords Battlecry II courtesy of GOG, and it's still fun, but the glaring inadequacies of the AI- both unit and enemy player- stand out more to me now than they did the first time I played it. And the ability of computer players to multi-task a sprawling base make me feel less embarrassed to exploit those inadequacies. But the tendency of units to stand in place and allow themselves to be shot to death because they can't reach their attacker- or to fail to react because something is repeatedly shooting them from just outside their visual or missile range, despite every shot coming from the same direction- really begins to pall, after a while.
I still maintain that WBC2 is the best strategy game ever made. For all it's flaws I go back to it yearly at least.

OT: I'm struggling to think of many, because I don't play too many games post-mid 2000's, but one game I struggle to play now but loved as a kid was the NES port of Operation Wolf.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Nazulu said:
CaitSeith said:
Ezekiel said:
No, you're just being obtuse. People say it to mean that the game is shit, and the comment you just quoted is a perfect example. We still see plenty of people who hate criticism of entertainment because they see it extending to themselves, don't add to that please.
The only reason a game is called overrated is because he doesn't like it to be popular. The game's quality is secondary; it could be good, mediocre or bad. That's irrelevant, because if the game wasn't popular, if people didn't praise it, it wouldn't be overrated anymore (even if the game itself didn't change)

tl;dr: If a game is shit, call it shit. Overrated says nothing about the game.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
CaitSeith said:
Nazulu said:
CaitSeith said:
Ezekiel said:
The only reason a game is called overrated is because he doesn't like it to be popular. The game's quality is secondary; it could be good, mediocre or bad. That's irrelevant, because if the game wasn't popular, if people didn't praise it, it wouldn't be overrated anymore (even if the game itself didn't change)

No, you're putting words in their mouth, they mostly say it to mean average or shit. Of course it is used only for popular games, but all it means is it isn't as great as it was made out to be. It really is no different, and I really can't understand why you are trying to make it so.

Also, if you just call a game shit, it's still doesn't say much (and will still piss people off), as little as saying as it's over-rated. It's always preferable that they explain why, which should be the only focus on their post (not which words rub people the wrong way).

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Nazulu said:
CaitSeith said:

No, you're putting words in their mouth, they mostly say it to mean average or shit. Of course it is used only for popular games, but all it means is it isn't as great as it was made out to be. It really is no different, and I really can't understand why you are trying to make it so.

Also, if you just call a game shit, it's still doesn't say much (and will still piss people off), as little as saying as it's over-rated. It's always preferable that they explain why, which should be the only focus on their post (not which words rub people the wrong way).
Yes, both shit and overrated don't say much about the game. But overrated imply a lot of people praise the game more than they should. It takes an external factor (other people) to criticise the game. In some sense it's similar to games not aging well: an external factor (development of better visuals, more responsive controls, better level design, better gameplay, better story, etc.) pushed up the quality standards so far up that the game can't hold its place in the scale. But at least aging compares against other games for criticism. Overrated criticise the game based mainly on other people's opinions.

EDIT: Bad quote block.