Games you want to like but just can't

Eric Morales

Dec 6, 2011
Sort of had trouble getting into BioShock. The story was brilliant and the neat steampunk setting was enough to get me through it but it's not something I feel like replaying. For all the plasmids and gene tonics I didn't really feel like I had too much control over customizing my character and I hate how you had to dump a Valentine's Day Massacre worth of bullets into every enemy to kill them. Though if pressed I'd still say I like BioShock

Gears of War on the other hand I really TRIED to like. I remember my brother brought it home from college and we tried out the co-op but I could never get past how the characters all looked like walking slabs of beef and sounded like rusty coffee grinders. I was even intrigued by the idea of cover based shooting (of course this was back before that became ubiquitous as hell) but I could never really get into it.

Jaga Jazzist

Jun 25, 2008
Gotta be Xenoblade Chronicles. It was heavily recommended by a friend and every reviewer on the planet but when I played it I just couldn't stop cringing. I look at reviews and every time they mention an aspect they like I think 'but that's why I hate it!' I hate the visual style, the characters, the voice acting, the side-quest system and the combat. Honestly when I played the game I felt trolled. Feels pretty weird.

Master-Jedi

Mar 9, 2010
Dragon Age:Origins. I love Fantasy RPG's and Dragon age sounded great. Dragons, magic, non-human characters, all stuff I like. I played it for about two hours before I got really bored. I didn't agree with Yahtzee's opinion of lord of the rings style fantasy being done to death until I played Dragon age, but I definitely do now.

shadowyoasis

Feb 8, 2008
Kingdom of Amalur. It had so much potential. I played it a long time but its just too tedious and most the characters you interact with are just too bland.

Its a single player MMO, and thats just bad. The quests have no real meaning to it outside of the faction quests. Your player is just too powerful, theres no challenge and the story doesn't make up for it.

I finally finished all the faction quests which was the only thing keeping me in the game I no longer have the will to keep on going.

Another is Dungeon Siege 3, I'm a huge dungeon siege fan. I still to this day have a DS2 installed on my labtop and I absolutely love going in and playing it now and then. DS3 killed everything that was dungeon siege. Its not a DS game, and I wish it was good enough to keep its feet. Multiplayer is... that is game is the perfect example of how to make a bad co-op multiplayer.

Its great for couch co-op, anything else is just... no real point.

Corporal Yakob

Nov 28, 2009
On paper the S.T.A.L.K.E.R series sound perfect for me: a collection of non-linear FPS RPGs set in the former Warsaw Pact with supernatural elements? Yes please! But every time I start the first game I just lose interest and I can't tell why. Lack of character creation maybe?

My dad loves those games though, won't hear anything against them.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
kman123 said:
I WANT to like Dark Souls.

But then I realize that its impossible to 'like' that game.
I love Dark Souls.
It makes me angrier than any other game, but I fucking love it.

OT: FFXIII, for reasons everybody knows at this point.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Final Fantasy 7

I'm having to play it at the moment due to a deal I made with my boyfriend. And its just rubbish, its boring and looks like folded paper.

Everybody seems to love it but I am starting to think that is just nostalgia blindness.
I've been assured it gets better later on.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
Red Dead Redemption. I really want to like it, and there's a lot that appeals to me, but I just get bored and wander off after a while.

Come to think of it, I have the same feeling about the Witcher.

paislyabmj

Mar 25, 2012
Grenge Di Origin said:
http://24.media.tumblr.com/79EaiOpiOnyo7q1aRRyEeeNWo1_500.jpg
*waits for fanboys to permaban me/Escapists to flame me*

Hey, it's just my opinion.

Your opinion sucks.
FUCK OFF.
you may get a less flamey response if you give reasons why the game wasnt your thing rarther than trying to avoid getting flamed.

for me.the original fallouts.i dont know what it is i just cant like the game that much.i loved other similar games like baldurs gate.but fallout ,no.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Lewieroo0 said:
Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions

I loved Final Fantasy Tactics on GBA and I find that there are things in this game which are better in comparison......but by Christ is the difficulty just too brutal. A handful of the missions I had to go through felt so hard to accomplish and the amount of farming to get my troops to their strengths to finish them was just not fun for me. The other game felt alot easier to get through the story without feeling stuck but in this game the amount of times I have to grind my arse off just to finish one stinking mission is just annoying.

Also that one mission where you have to defend Rapha on Riovanes Castle Roof, two words:

FUCK....IT!
The original on the ps1 was harder in my opinion. Having played that one first i found the gba ones too easy , but then again i'm a gaming masochist lol . I must admit it is pretty hard , even when you don't do the bonus stuff . I was so dissapointed that your characters coulda perma die in the gba games and i really didn't like the laws , so of them were flat out retarded. I won't say they are bad games though , because they aren't .

I do agree that a stupid amount of grind is required for FFT war of lions, but the original was worst , way worst in regards to the grind. But despite that it is one of my favorite games ever.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
King of Asgaard said:
kman123 said:
I WANT to like Dark Souls.

But then I realize that its impossible to 'like' that game.
I love Dark Souls.
It makes me angrier than any other game, but I fucking love it.
Both of the Souls games have caused me so much frustration in the past, but I still love them.

On-topic: BioShock 1&2. I liked the story just about until the point right after you meet Andrew Ryan. It should have ended there, because the rest of the game was pretty awful, story wise and gameplay wise. I found the gameplay in general in that game to be tedious, the second one kind of improved that, but not really by a significant margin. Despite its improvements to the gameplay, the second game was just bland and unnecessary. Still have hopes for Infinite though.

The Elder Scroll series in general has been hard for me to really like. I played quite a bit of Skyrim when it came out, and I enjoyed it then, but as time goes on, I just dislike the games more and more. Can't really explain it, but Oblivion and Skyrim feel really hollow and unsatisfying to play. They just to begin to feel like really shallow single player MMO's with no challenge after awhile. I bet I'd like Morrowind if I could get over some of its quirks, but I can't.

Xannidel

Feb 16, 2011
Kid Icarus Uprising, I really want to like it, the graphics are so amazing and the music is as well but my god Pit's voice just drives me insane and the controls for the ground battles just frustrates me more and more when I am trying to run away/around an enemy and while trying to move the camera AND dodge, the enemy is just rofl stomping me until I die.

Beyonette, I am a big fan of the DmC series when i was younger but for some reason this game does absolutely jack for me. I have tried to replay the intro and first few levels but I just cannot bring myself to do so.

Elder Scrolls series, Not too sure why I cannot enjoy the games but I guess it has to do with the lack of linearity. Yes I am sure it is linear if you skip all side missions and just do the main missions but I love doing side missions and seeing if those missions/quests give additional back story or help influence the ending of the game.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
Grenge Di Origin said:
http://24.media.tumblr.com/79EaiOpiOnyo7q1aRRyEeeNWo1_500.jpg
*waits for fanboys to permaban me/Escapists to flame me*

Hey, it's just my opinion.

Your opinion sucks.
FUCK OFF.
I agree. It's not really a bad game, but I had no urge to re-play it after I beat it. It seemed like more a tech demo to the game engine they created rather then an actual video game.

I liked HL1 because of:
Extremely complex level design, almost reminiscent of Super Metroid. Some backtracking, connecting to new areas, switches to find etc.

A perfect mix of sci-fi and horror (and I do mean perfect)

Bizarre and interesting monsters around every corner

The whole end sequence/level of the game was very surreal, and the perfect way to close such an amazing experience.

The whole thing was very clever and original from start to finish. I really enjoyed conducting an experiment that did all this to the world, I felt like a true mad scientist and hero simultaneously. What an odd mix!

Guess what? 2 has none of that! HL2 has great voice acting, likable characters, good scenery, neat physics... and none of that is what I enjoyed in HL or any of it's spinoffs (I wasn't looking for any of that). Having that there isn't a problem at all, those are all great things!! Unfortunately they weren't additions, they were replacements. All the things I was looking for weren't there, which made the whole experience of HL2 very lacking for me.

The worst part of all is HL2's main enemy is interchangeable with the soldiers you encounter later in HL1. Firefights? ...With PEOPLE!? I thought that was boring as hell in HL1 (especially with all the fantastical things everywhere else in the game), and HL2 just reminded me of how boring that was again. Oh how I long for the days when HL meant a giant three headed green abomination banging it's head endlessly in a silo that must be navigated.

I will admit Episode 2 was a step in the right direction.

tobi the good boy

Dec 16, 2007
Have I said this before? Neverwinter Nights 2, I could never get past the first act, it annoyed the crap out of me. But, when I get some free time I might try again.

deadguy

Aug 22, 2009
Mine has got to be Wind Waker, I'm a massive Zelda fan and so many people claim it to be the best one but something about it just... irks me. Irks me to my core.