Great musicians that died too young.

iain62a

Oct 9, 2008
Milkatron said:
Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison (the trio at 27)
Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, The Big Bopper (Day the music died)
Cliff Burton, Dime-bag Darrell, and Quorthon (because metal kicked more ass while they were alive)
Keith Moon and John Bonham (because everyone knows how awesome they were)
Duane Allman, John Lennon, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Rory Gallagher, and Robert Johnson to round off the list.

For the record, Kurt Cobain should have been aborted so we didn't have to put up with that shit.
You mean i'm not the only one who's heard of Robert Johnson?

Phillosophic

Oct 30, 2008
AuntyEthel said:
Bob Marley, Peter Tosh, King Tubby, Brad Nowell, the list could go on and on.
Pete Tosh & King Tubby. both could have done so much more. Take it you are a Reggae fan then?

AuntyEthel

Sep 19, 2008
Phillosophic said:
AuntyEthel said:
Pete Tosh & King Tubby. both could have done so much more. Take it you are a Reggae fan then?
Did something give it away? :) I was also really sad when Desmond Dekker died, though he was almost 70 (still too young!!!)

Phillosophic

Oct 30, 2008
AuntyEthel said:
Phillosophic said:
AuntyEthel said:
Did something give it away? :) I was also really sad when Desmond Dekker died, though he was almost 70 (still too young!!!)
There are not many of us around it seems. Especially fans who appreciate classic Reggae. Just to stay on track....Joe Higgs, awesome little known Roots Reggae artist

iain62a

Oct 9, 2008
Phillosophic said:
AuntyEthel said:
Phillosophic said:
AuntyEthel said:
There are not many of us around it seems. Especially fans who appreciate classic Reggae. Just to stay on track....Joe Higgs, awesome little known Roots Reggae artist
I'm more of a Ska man myself...

AuntyEthel

Sep 19, 2008
Phillosophic said:
AuntyEthel said:
Phillosophic said:
Yeah, its a great pity how underappreciated good reggae is. Most people think Shaggy, Sean Paul or Sean Kingston is the pinnacle. I'll have a look at Higgs - his name does ring a bell. And on the topic, Augustus Pablo was also a great loss to the music world. Irie.

Phillosophic

Oct 30, 2008
AuntyEthel said:
Phillosophic said:
AuntyEthel said:
Phillosophic said:
We need some sort of Jamaican music thread lol

Yeah, its a great pity how underappreciated good reggae is. Most people think Shaggy, Sean Paul or Sean Kingston is the pinnacle. I'll have a look at Higgs - his name does ring a bell. And on the topic, Augustus Pablo was also a great loss to the music world. Irie.

SinisterDeath

Nov 6, 2006
All those 40s/50s/60s/and 70s musicians who dies in plane crashes and freezing in vans.
The only one of those I can remember is I think 'riki valentine'?
But there are a ton of others who 'died' in those plane crashes, and I tell ya... They had careers that could have lasted a looong time, and who knows how that could have affected the music industry to this day... (And you just know there children would have gotten into it...)

TommyGun465

Jul 2, 2008
Buddy Holly, Hendrix, (sorry) Kurt Cobain, Mozart, John Bonham, Jim Morrison, Bix Beiderbach, Cliff Burton, Keith Moon, John Lennon, etc.

Theres probably more, but I cant remember right now.

Fraught

Aug 2, 2008
Jimi Hendrix, Bob Marley, Kurt Cobain. And am I the only one noticing the growing hatred towards every metal band, and everything is "Mozart's my granny, and Beethoven is his spoon" fashion circulating here?

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
I really wish John Lennon was here now.

I'd love to talk with him about the state of the world today.

Jharry5

Nov 1, 2008
Stevato said:
Dimebag, Cliff Burton, Hillel Slovek :(

Richard Wright, ok he was 65 but one of the most influencial keyboardists ever
How could I have forgot Dimebag? Man, that's possibly the most horrible death in rock in my opinion.
(RIP Dimebag)

Milkatron said:
Jharry5 said:
Milkatron said:
For the record, Kurt Cobain should have been aborted so we didn't have to put up with that shit.
He was vocalist/songwriter in arguably the most important band of the 90's. He contributed a lot to his time's music scene; just like the others you listed did for their times.
But, to each his own...
I guess I should back up my statement.

In my honest, oh so humble opinion, this country went down the shitter when it came to music, all because of him. I have yet to hear a band say they claimed influence from Cobain/Nirvana AND impress me. Without him, we wouldn't have mainstream alternative bands (which is a load of shit if you do any research on alternative msuic) and grunge. Those are probably the two worst subgenres of rock n' roll. Nirvana is the Halo 3 of music: Popular, but severely lacking in quality.
Someone's obviously not a grunge fan...
But some good bands came from that era nonetheless; Soundgarden, Rage Against The Machine, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins. Not all grunge bands per se, but still good bands that owe at least a tiny bit to Cobain...
And surely blaming one guy for the crap in the charts at the moment is a bit unfair?

Pseudonym2

Mar 31, 2008
Dave Carter. He lived to be 49 but he didn't start producing music until the mid 90's. He died from a heart attack despite being a vegetarian Buddhist.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
Vanguard1219 said:
I 2nd all the mentions of Jimi Hendrix, Bob Marley, and Jim Morrison. I'll also just throw Kurt Cobain's name out there because we were already sixteen posts into the thread without him being mentioned.
Fianlly i was expecting to see him first!

Phillosophic

Oct 30, 2008
DreamKing said:
I surprised that no one metioned Joe Strummer or Keith Savage.
Can't believe I forgot about Joe Strummer *bows head in shame*
Still can't believe I am the only person to mention Shannon Hoon of Blind Melon :(

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
Jharry5 said:
Stevato said:
Dimebag, Cliff Burton, Hillel Slovek :(

Richard Wright, ok he was 65 but one of the most influencial keyboardists ever
How could I have forgot Dimebag? Man, that's possibly the most horrible death in rock in my opinion.
(RIP Dimebag)

Milkatron said:
Jharry5 said:
Milkatron said:
He was vocalist/songwriter in arguably the most important band of the 90's. He contributed a lot to his time's music scene; just like the others you listed did for their times.
But, to each his own...
I guess I should back up my statement.

In my honest, oh so humble opinion, this country went down the shitter when it came to music, all because of him. I have yet to hear a band say they claimed influence from Cobain/Nirvana AND impress me. Without him, we wouldn't have mainstream alternative bands (which is a load of shit if you do any research on alternative msuic) and grunge. Those are probably the two worst subgenres of rock n' roll. Nirvana is the Halo 3 of music: Popular, but severely lacking in quality.
Someone's obviously not a grunge fan...
But some good bands came from that era nonetheless; Soundgarden, Rage Against The Machine, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins. Not all grunge bands per se, but still good bands that owe at least a tiny bit to Cobain...
And surely blaming one guy for the crap in the charts at the moment is a bit unfair?
How can you hate Kurt!!!! I grew up listening to this band and loved every moment