Hackers Also Hit Sony Online, Stole 12,700 Credit Cards

Fullmetal X

Feb 22, 2008
thahat said:
hacker my bum. Sony stored the data in plain text, and should have had an intrusion detection system in place to stop this kind of madness. face it, your average 13-18 year old bored European with slightly above average skills could have raided this data from Sony.
be glad it
Ummm...proof? Because according to Sony, user data was hashed and credit card data was encrypted.

Not saying they're not lying, but no one has actually been able to prove the data was stored in plain text.

thahat

Apr 23, 2008
Gothproxy said:
zHellas said:
FredTheUndead said:
If they keep this up, they'll ALMOST be in the Apple or Linux territory of incompetence.
Mind explaining that position?

I don't hate you for the post, I'm actually curious as to why you said that. I want to learn! :p
Me too. I'm not an Apple user but I've don't remember Mac's getting hacked. And as a new Ubuntu user, I've never come across any forum posts or new bits about Linux getting hacked (and believe me, I've read A LOT in the past month alone). So I look forward to learning more.
im not the guy who said it but, for apple at least i know their the king of strange, strange business moves that any other company could pull.
but since their more a clothes shop then an actual hardware producer and there are too many mac-heads to count, they can get away with it ( damn you mac, Y U SO OVERPRICED )

thahat

Apr 23, 2008
Ziadaine said:
You'd think they'd dis-connect EVERYTHING of their servers from internet access until they can resolve the problem.

I honestly cant wait to see what happens if these hackers are caught, considering they'll be doing alot of time for what they did.
if their smart enough to get into a sony database, their smart enough to go to an internet caffe, or borrow someones wireless network, and go through some proxies.
good luck catching that bird and making it hold up in court.
=no, not going to happen, they might get caught if they try to do something with those creditcards though

FungiGamer

Apr 23, 2008
danpascooch said:
JDKJ said:
mikev7.0 said:
Outcast107 said:
dragongit said:
Wow... you'd think they would have seen this coming... whoever these hackers are, they have a vendetta against Sony.
I wonder if they are going to come to other system as well. Or just thought they could bring sony down a peg or two with their talk of "un-hackable" system. Though who knows with this. Hate to say this Sony fans but I hope they don't come to xbox or PC(Though not sure how they can do this one...but who knows with these people.)
I was curious before but now I think there is a high chance that this was at least a somewhat inside job. Possibly an EX Sony employee? Just a thought. I have serious doubts that this would happen on XBL mainly because they have the most experience and it hasn't yet in spite of many hackers and computer experts who have made no secret for their lack of love for Moneysoft. I still don't think you should give ANY info you feel you don't want to lose to a major corporation long term like that though. More bowing to commence in 5....4.....3....2....1....Initiate outdated irrelevant cultural shield!!
I've raised that possibility before. They've been laying off people recently.
I actually wonder myself, they hacked two different databases with (presumably) different security, it just seems impossible that it was just some hacker
danpascooch said:
The Hungry Samurai said:
IMHO Anonymous should put aside their differences with Sony and help hunt down these douches.

Think about it, anon is supposed to be all about free exchange of info on the net, and defending the freedom of the net supposedly. These hackers are literally terrorizing ps3 users, not only leaving them afraid of what this system can leak, but pushing them over to help establish a monopoly like state in the online console world as people lose confidence in all but the pay to play xbl network.

I own all three systems and I appreciate the innovation that competition between them brings, but this seems to be disrupting a very delicate balance in that competition. I for one don't think ANY gamer would benefit from Sony pulling out of the console market regardless of what there controller of choice is.
I'm starting to think this was done only because all the cards were easily set in place. Think about it; the whole GeoHot dilemma causes the most notorious hacker organization on the internet to declare war on Sony and claim they will be messing with them shortly; this was a perfect opportunity for an independent group of hackers to sneak their way through Sony's poor security, raid the information, and escape after wiping their prints from the crime scene all while Sony is keeping an eye on anonymous the whole time. Sony discovers the intrusion, and who do they mark as the prime suspects? The group that recently declared war on them, of course.

Unfortunately for the hacker or hackers anonymous denied their involvement and somehow Sony seems to be giving them the benefit of the doubt, but had the two started squaring off then it would be a simple distraction to help the real culprits slip away, or perhaps they intended Sony to break up the group as an added incentive (perhaps they despise the group and saw this as a perfect opportunity to set everyone up)

Of course this is assuming that some members of anon may not be involved, which at this point is still fairly debatable depending on who you asked, but I feel that this all happened because the whole dilemma left Sony's front door wide open

Seydaman

Nov 21, 2008
Damnit
Now I have to cancel my god damn credit card
And I'll probably get email spam
Fucking hackers.

The Stonker

Feb 26, 2009
FredTheUndead said:
If they keep this up, they'll ALMOST be in the Apple or Linux territory of incompetence.

Linux is a great operating system which offers you a pretty good field to work on in your computer and it can even run computer games.
Also since it's smaller then it puts less stress on your PC.

But anywho. Sony suck. Boooo!

AgDr_ODST

Cortana's guardian
Oct 22, 2009
well it just goes to show....you get what you pay for....and if your not paying you don't get shit.....doubly so when it comes to security!! And that boys and girls is why
<< this guy has an Xbox360 and a gold membership not a PS3 and free online

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
ALPHATT said:
Megacherv said:
Do SOE have anything to do with SCEE? I thought that SCEE was purely Playstation and SOE just collaborated with them occasionally.
they are all owned by Sony and also hosted by them
But owned and hosted by separate divisions. Sony is a hell of a large company, it's like saying that Kaz Hirai has a say in how the Sony banks are run (yes, Sony have their own banks)

insanelich

Reportable Offender
Sep 3, 2008
AbsoluteVirtue18 said:
Okay, by this point my annoyance has shifted solely to the hackers. There is abso-fucking-lutely no reason to do this other than to be an asshat.
So there's no reason to steal identity data worth millions other than being an asshat?

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
HankMan said:
PSN stands for PlayStation NOTwork.
C'mon I know you can do better, that was kinda... Low. >.<

Well good thing was that those card were outdated, but still this is going to cripple SONY and give a bad spin for the industry. No one knows who will be next, no one knows what will happen next. Oh well, global economy is fuck'd anyway.

Ziadaine_v1legacy

Flamboyant Homosexual
Apr 11, 2009
Ultratwinkie said:
Ziadaine said:
You'd think they'd dis-connect EVERYTHING of their servers from internet access until they can resolve the problem.

I honestly cant wait to see what happens if these hackers are caught, considering they'll be doing alot of time for what they did.
So I take it the My Little Pony motto has run out huh?

"Tolerate and Love" means litigation? Okay then.
I never agreed to be a hippy when I watched it. ;)

Popido

Oct 21, 2010
insanelich said:
AbsoluteVirtue18 said:
Okay, by this point my annoyance has shifted solely to the hackers. There is abso-fucking-lutely no reason to do this other than to be an asshat.
So there's no reason to steal identity data worth millions other than being an asshat?
Looks like hes doing it out of hate. These attacks wont stop as long as hes pissed at Sony.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Rogue branch of anonymous then. This was a bunch of people who really hated Sony and also happened to hate other people having more money than them, letting their dreams collide

Phenakist

Feb 25, 2009
What's big, black and steals your credit cards?

[sub]No. stop being racist.[/sub]

PS3

Sony's gonna have a hard time recovering from this one, they have my sympathy to think I was going to buy one of these the week before the hacks....

Jamie Doerschuck

Jun 6, 2010
JDKJ said:
Wicky_42 said:
Arontala said:
Spangles said:
What's even funnier about this whole thing is all the spite and hate that people are aiming at the hackers, instead of the company that's pretty much left themselves wide open to this.

The hackers are the only ones who actually ensure safe networks, without them constantly testing and breaking so called security systems, all of your data would just be sitting there for the taking by any little asshat.

If you honestly aren't going to blame a multibillion dollar company who is MORE than able to pay for any kind of security it wishes and who keeps a private 'secure' network where it is possible to hack it from a goddamned home games console, then quite frankly you all deserve to lose your shit.. because if you are going to be that dumb then you'd eventually lose it anyway.

Arontala said:
Harbinger_ said:
Nice of you to have let us all know Sony.... Oh wait! You didn't! Also I don't want free service on a system you can't protect.
Did you even read the motherfucking article? They only discovered it this morning. Christ.
Says who? Sony? Riiiiiight.
I don't even know how to respond to that.

Oh, wait, yes I do. [http://youtu.be/FopyRHHlt3M]
The real issue is that it was hacked at the same time as the PSN... and they've only just noticed. That's just a poor show, and I bet the guys who did this have been laughing at them all this time about it...
So? It's obvious that they got a shitload of information to go through. They've got old databases going back to 2007 that they don't even use anymore that they've gotta search. Searching all that shit in the load to see what's missing ain't done overnight.
I know, right? Since everyone else here apparently knows so much better, let's see how fast YOU go through a database and compile a list of 70 million accounts with stolen information (the original round-up).

Also, I'm not laughing at the hackers so much as everyone else here who's going "LOLOLOLOLOLOL SUNNY SUX HAHAHAHAHA I'M NOT GETTN NO DANG PSX CUZ IT SUCKZZZZZZZ." because of THIS incident when they only got information from 2007.

Yes, the article says the INFORMATION was from 2007. Not that that's how old the security for their database is. None of the SOE stuff is anywhere near recent.

And why are we all hating on Sony, and more specifically PS3 owners? As a gamer, I feel alienated by my community. Because I bought a Playstation to play Ratchet and Clank I'm now an idiot who's been asking to have my information stolen this whole time? I'm seriously concerned for Xbox users (or at least I try my hardest to be, since most everyone is being a jerk to me because I have a PS3). Your system is obviously the next target for this kind of attack. Your service operates in a very similar way to the PSN (auto-saving credit card information) and is at serious risk. I'm actually a little disappointed in Microsoft for not issuing a more mature statement than "Oh, so sorry for Sony.... BUT DON'T WORRY GUYS, XBOX LIVE IS STILL UP!!!!!".

As a PS3 owner I do not feel betrayed, Sony slacked on the job with their security but now this unfortunate attack has brought it to their attention in a splashy way. Now that they've been made the example, I can almost assure you this won't happen again [after these initial attacks] for a very long time. This will be a huge chip on their shoulder, even long after everyone else has forgotten about it. I see this as a learning experience to show that we're not all invincible. And maybe this will teach some people to be more responsible with their credit card information on the internet (and again I'm sorry it had to happen in such a spectacular way).

I feel more betrayed as a gamer. The people who I thought would stand by my side, on all parts of the console spectrum, through this hard time have instead opted to ridicule and insult me. Unfortunately this isn't only limited to my "real life" friends, but it's prevalent all across the internet. I'm more sorry that this has further ruptured the gaming community than the loss of credit cards.

deathninja

Dec 19, 2008
Luckily the last time I used SWG & EQII was with an old card, well since cloned & cancelled.

Shame though, been looking for another MMO to wean my SO off of LOTRO, EQII would have fit the bill nicely.