How old were you when you had your first cigarette?

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Scrustle said:
I'm 21 and I've never smoked, and I don't intent do ever change that. Seems completely pointless to me. I've probably inhaled more than enough second-hand smoke for it to be unhealthy though. Why the hell do people with similar interests to me all have to fucking smoke? Humans are fucking idiots.

Some of the low numbers I'm seeing in this thread are pretty scary.
Yeah cause your smoker friends are forcing you to stick around and inhale their second-hand. Oh wait, they're not.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
DugMachine said:
Scrustle said:
I'm 21 and I've never smoked, and I don't intent do ever change that. Seems completely pointless to me. I've probably inhaled more than enough second-hand smoke for it to be unhealthy though. Why the hell do people with similar interests to me all have to fucking smoke? Humans are fucking idiots.

Yeah cause your smoker friends are forcing you to stick around and inhale their second-hand. Oh wait, they're not.
I never said that. Humans are idiots regardless.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Scrustle said:
DugMachine said:
Scrustle said:

Why though? Because a few decide to inhale chemicals into their body? Really trying to understand how you get "the entirety of the human race is moronic because smoking is bad mkay".

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
Colour-Scientist said:
Phasmal said:
If I was going up to smokers and telling them, I could understand them getting irritated.
Merely saying it as a reason why I have never smoked, however, is no reason for them to get all uptight.
It's not so much the "I don't smoke because it's bad for you" it's the "you shouldn't smoke because it's bad for you", as if we were totally unaware that smoking is unhealthy. I've literally had a guy come up to me in THE SMOKING AREA of a pub to tell me how I was killing myself and how bad it is for me. That kind of thing isn't uncommon and it's annoying so when these threads come up, maybe you don't mean to be high and mighty but a lot of people do so it's kind of a knee-jerk reaction to get defensive.

Also things like this:
Clive Howlitzer said:
However when I see someone in their 20s or a teenager smoking now, I am just like, you have to be completely brain dead.
Definitely how I feel. I am not going to give people crap about smoking though. I mean, it is their choice.
They won't smoke in my car or my apartment though. I think that is reasonable.

Angie7F

WiseGurl
Nov 11, 2011
18. but only because i wanted to learn a more effective way to inhale smoke to get high efficiently.
Once I got the hang of it, I never smoked cigarette again.
I absolutely hate the smell and taste...

Now I look at people and think, "why??? that is sooo last century".

Araqiel

Jul 5, 2011
I guess around 24/25 now I smoke maybe one cigarette a week if i feel like it, making sure I dont get addicted to it.

White_Lama

Feb 23, 2011
Haven't tried it, never will.
Haven't tried drugs, never will.
Haven't tried alcohol either, never will.

Why?
Because why would I?

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
Properly age 11 when I started comprehensive and it was very easy to get hold of a cigarette (no one in my family home smokes so I couldn't access them from home)

I remember when I was about 6 and I tried my Grandad's pipe, I just picked it up and sucked it in and coughed and cocked for hours, no one ever found out though.

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
I was 8. My grandfather gave me one.

It was also the day I found out I was allergic to ciggs.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
DugMachine said:
Scrustle said:
DugMachine said:
Scrustle said:

Why though? Because a few decide to inhale chemicals into their body? Really trying to understand how you get "the entirety of the human race is moronic because smoking is bad mkay".
Again, that's not what I said.

But why the hell do you care? Why does my opinion of humans or their habits bother you at all? How does it affect you? I never said anything directed towards you and nothing that either of us say here will ever have any consequences. People can smoke if they want, I've got no problem with that. But apparently you have a problem with the fact that I'm a misanthrope.

Well I don't care. Stop trying to argue this useless point. I don't care what you think and I don't care if you're offended by what I say and I don't care about trying to prove which of us has the bigger e-penis. This conversation is over.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
M0rp43vs said:
Never, which is extremely odd because nearly everyone in my extended family smokes. All 21 aunts and uncles do, not even counting my cousins and family by marriage.
My parents stopped when I developed terrible asthma at 4, and none of my siblings do.
So yea, My family is the only non-smoking one in a huge family of smokers. Weird, huh?
my parents deliberately smoked when i was around to get rid of me, at-least someone had decent parents.

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
Wow, people start young. I guess I was lucky. I tried once, when I was 17. First time I drank, too. Was at my friend's grad party and everyone was like "let's corrupt the nerdy kid". So people were all asking "are you drunk yet?", and then there was the one "Here, smoke this cigarette."

So I did. Coughed a bit. Wasn't so appealing, that was the only smoke I've ever had. Didn't want to get hooked, didn't see the appeal anyway.

Sectan

Aug 7, 2011
Eh never have. When I'd go to my great grandmother's house and see that her walls, clothes and skin were stained with a sticky brown residue I decided I wasn't going to try. She died of lung cancer, but I'm getting off track now.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Araqiel said:
I guess around 24/25 now I smoke maybe one cigarette a week if i feel like it, making sure I dont get addicted to it.
Why would you bother smoking if you're only having one a week and you only started in your mid-twenties? I don't understand what you could possibly get out of it, would it not be best to quit while you're ahead?

Rabish Bini

Jun 11, 2011
14. Sneaked one when no one was home. Smoked on and off when i got older, but don't smoke at all anymore.

Sporky111 said:
Wow, people start young. I guess I was lucky. I tried once, when I was 17. First time I drank, too. Was at my friend's grad party and everyone was like "let's corrupt the nerdy kid". So people were all asking "are you drunk yet?", and then there was the one "Here, smoke this cigarette."

So I did. Coughed a bit. Wasn't so appealing, that was the only smoke I've ever had. Didn't want to get hooked, didn't see the appeal anyway.
What of the alcohol, if you don't mind me asking?

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
I have never tried it. I have asthma so I don't really need help destroying my lungs. My mom smokes and I don't see anything wrong with it. It's a mild narcotic, which increases concentration for a short time and also increases the chance of getting cancer. I know the risk, I know the appeal, I don't see the need. I also don't want to waste money on the stuff, being a student is tough enough without the need to smoke.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Scrustle said:
DugMachine said:
Scrustle said:
DugMachine said:
Scrustle said:

Again, that's not what I said.

But why the hell do you care? Why does my opinion of humans or their habits bother you at all? How does it affect you? I never said anything directed towards you and nothing that either of us say here will ever have any consequences. People can smoke if they want, I've got no problem with that. But apparently you have a problem with the fact that I'm a misanthrope.

Well I don't care. Stop trying to argue this useless point. I don't care what you think and I don't care if you're offended by what I say and I don't care about trying to prove which of us has the bigger e-penis. This conversation is over.

I was genuinely curious why you'd call humans idiots for smoking. It's directed at me if you're going to make sweeping statements like that and I happen to be a smoker. But apparently being a misanthrope allows you to be rude as all hell so guess this is over.

Edit: Inb4 "I never said people were dumb for smoking hurr give me a direct quote." Come into a thread and ***** about smokers, then call humans idiots. I'm going to assume you're calling smokers idiots.