How or why did your parents choose your name?

robotam

Jun 7, 2010
My mum was drugged up and kept thinking of the opening credits of "look whose talking", with the sperm racing to fertilise the egg and so called me Michael...

Yeah.

ObsessiveSketch

Nov 6, 2009
My name's David. My brother's Michael, my mom's Elizabeth, my aunts and uncles are Mary, John, Joseph, and Michael. Go ahead and take a guess.

sanomaton

Oct 25, 2008
I have three names and I'm called by my 2nd name, Suvi, which means Summer in Finnish and Estonian. The day I was born was apparently a warm day (I was born in the middle of winter though) so that's how they came up with that... I don't really know how they came up with my 1st and 3rd names though. I guess they just rhymed. I know my 3rd name was suggested by my oldest brother. :D

Some people are surprised to know Suvi is not my first name since no one ever calls me Eija... except in formal situations, such as in hospitals etc.

Nazz3

Sep 11, 2009
My name is Lasse

And I think it was because my grand-grandfather or something like that is called Lasse, his name is Lars though but hes called Lasse usually.

Mechsoap

Apr 4, 2010
Jonluw said:
Mechsoap said:
My parents named me after the giant in norse mythology.

The giant that was used to make the world, out of his body.
So your name's Yme? Or Ymir?

Never heard that one before. I do know a couple of twins named Eir and Frøy though.
You are correct, my name is Ymir.

You can see it on my profile too.

Chills41

Mar 15, 2011
The name my parents initially were going to call me by was used by someone else before I was born. So, That name became my middle name and I took my first name from my uncle.

All because they didn't want to be copycats and yet, I still feel like someone stole my name.

Wilko316

Jun 16, 2010
My first and middle name are my two grandfather's names, Jack on my Dad's side and Dennis on my Mum's side.
Yeah yeah Dennis the Menace, get it out of your system.

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
First and second name, because they liked it.
Third after my uncle (godfather)
Fourth after my grandfather.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Mechsoap said:
Jonluw said:
Mechsoap said:
My parents named me after the giant in norse mythology.

The giant that was used to make the world, out of his body.
So your name's Yme? Or Ymir?

Never heard that one before. I do know a couple of twins named Eir and Frøy though.
You are correct, my name is Ymir.

You can see it on my profile too.
Yeah, I noticed after I posted.
Sort of makes my guessing less impressive...

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
I was named after the actress who played Aunt Molly in How the West Was Won (wiki link), because my parents liked her and because she was Irish. Also there is a VEEEEERY loose connection as my uncle is friends with her brother. VEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERY loose.

My two middle names that sit in front of my given name are from my father's cousins, and the name between my given name and my surname is because of religious reasons.

CHART: [cousin name] [cousin name] [actress name] [religious name] [surname].

Yes, I'm a bit paranoid, but then I'm the only person with my name and surname on the internet.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
Well I didnt think they chose it, I think they looked at me and gave me a name so I kinda chose it for myself, I think the only way to name a child is to look at it when its first board. Or really think of a good one.

Ursus Buckler

Apr 15, 2011
They thought I was going to be a girl, so prepped the name Rachel for me.
Upon realising that Rachel was not a suitable name for a boy, they named me Alec instead.

Shockolate

Feb 27, 2010
I was named after both my mom's favorite comedian Colin Mochrie and my father's favorite hockey player (can't remember his surname) which became hilarious in hindsight since I pull out my hair.

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
Long story, to put it as briefly as possible my uncle is a massive comic book nerd and around my birth was reading a comic called "Fierce Toasters" that had a little kid in it with my name, my parents like the sound of it and so here I am.
This is gives us 2 things- the 1st is that Im named after a toast obsessed child serial killer, and seeing as Im named after a comic book character I really only had one way I could go in life.

Nero09

Jan 25, 2010
My name is nearly identical to my father's save for one letter. Someone made a mistake on his birth certificate when he was a kid and put on an extra letter (both names are very common) and when he got to decide my name at my birth, it would be his "intended" name.

Coincidentally, we share the same birthday as well.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
My name was directly inspired inspired by the myth of Jason and the Argonauts. My mom did her homework. :D

Fun fact: Jason is actually a spelling variation of the name "Iason", which is archaic Greek for "healer". :3