How or why did your parents choose your name?

Minty Juice

Mar 24, 2010
I was born shortly after Empire Strikes Back came out. My father is a nerd. He wanted to be called Darth Vader. He named me Luke.

gyroscopeboy

Nov 27, 2010
I was named after a character n Stephen Donaldson's novel series "Thomas Covenant" And no my names not Thomas :p

Kakujin

Oct 19, 2008
Not named after anyone in particular, I think my parents just liked two of them, my third name is the same as one of my fathers names.

Cazza

Jul 13, 2010
Zhukov said:
My parents were hippies back in the day. So I was named after a river.

Yes, seriously.

Luckily the river in question is called The Murray River. So it could have been worse.
I was also named after a river. It's a small one in Ireland. Both my sides of the family have roots from Ireland. So it stuck. My second name is my mother's name with the male spelling.

My older brother's name was choosen from a book. They changed the spelling & pronunciation. His middle name is a tradition (fathers side) for the first male child. My mum didn't want it to be his first name and my dad agreed.

Kadoodle

Nov 2, 2010
My mom wanted to name me Asher, but my dad preferred Jonathan. So now I'm Jonathan, and my middle name is Asher.

commodore96

Aug 31, 2010
My name is john
My dads name is chris
My Grandpa's name is John
My Great Grandpa is Chris
and so on forever

Reyalsfeihc

Jun 12, 2010
I was named Christopher after Christopher Robin from Winnie the Pooh apparently, but my middle name comes from my grandfather. All in all I like my name pretty well.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
My first name is Caleb. Part of the reason I think they were planing on having another son is that they named my younger brother Joshua.

My middle name is Joseph. That is also for a biblical reason, but it is in part because it is my grandfather's middle name.

templeg

Dec 11, 2010
I'm not 100% sure why they chose 'Helena', which I hate with a passion because a) people always, ALWAYS call me 'Helen' or 'Hel-AY-na' and b) it's become kind of a yuppie middle-class twit name since then and there are about a hundred posh snots called Helena a few years below me in my school.

It could have been worse, though- they thought about calling me 'Nelly' (as in 'the Elephant', no way AT ALL that could have backfired on me during my formative years at a tough East End primary school), and if I were a boy I would have been 'Jupiter'. Yeah. You can get away with that only if you actually look like a Greek or Roman god, and the male half of my family has more of a tendency to produce skinny, spotty, speccy, pasty twits with stupid hair (my dad circa 1980 is a prime example of this). Again, there is no way I might have got the crap kicked out of me for that. Nuh-uh.

My middle names, 'Rose' and 'Rebecca', are both obscure relatives from the 19th century or thereabouts (my family is crazy obsessive about our history, and it is pretty cool in places). Rebecca in particular was pretty damn awesome, I'm pleased to be named after her, but I can't remember who Rose was. At least I'm not my sister, who is thirteen and only found out a few weeks ago how to SPELL one of her middle names (Hilary).

Quesa

Jul 8, 2009
I was the first grandson/great grandson on my paternal side (14th of 15 on the maternal side), so I got the name of the family patriarch, my father's mother's father (my father's father and his father both died young, the other one made the mid90s). My cousin wasn't so lucky, he got great grandpa's middle name: Trofamous.

exarkunsith

Jan 12, 2010
Jackstick said:
exarkunsith said:
They needed a name for the death certificate, first name they came up with.

Doctors said i wasn't going to make it past 12 hours.

Showed them.
Wow, are you serious? What was wrong, if you don't mind me asking?
i was born 15 wks prem. bleed in brain etc.
happy i survived.

riverand

May 31, 2011
First name, Nicole, after my grandpa Nick.
Middle name, Dominique, because my mom wanted to make sure we didn't forget we have a little fraction of French in us.

Tib088

Nov 28, 2009
My mum liked the name. Tho almost all my friends know me as Tibs rather than Matt. Its taken one of my newer freinds 5 months to learn my real name!

Whateveralot

Oct 25, 2010
They watched a Robin Hood movie the night before I was born. My name is Robin now.

My parents are the greatest.

Dark Sup3rn0va

Jul 14, 2009
I have an Irish name that my parents picked out of a big book of Irish names. My name translates to "Lord". The name is Tiarnán and it sounds like: Tear-nawn