It's Old Flames Only in Mass Effect 3, Says BioWare [UPDATED]

boag

Sep 13, 2010
If there is no Harem or Orgy End I will be disappointed and Boycott Bioware forever!

TwistedEllipses

Nov 18, 2008
I wonder if they might ret-con romances for new players in the same way they did with backstory...I hope not, make 'em celibate!

AngryBritishAce

Feb 19, 2010
I hope I can build Tali her house on the Quarian homeworld as one of the endings, I will always have Tali as my romance. Liara's nice but I kind of thought she was too bland and fragile, as she always felt faint after everthing I did in the original game. And Ashley was too nasty for me, she was always hating on Liara and the other aliens.
Tali was nice and I always talked to, but never thought of a Romance with her. I started ME2 and decided (since I never really wanted a Romance quest anyway) that I'll take Miranda. I got her to really like me, and I was just waiting for the final mission.
Then Tali came back, and she was just so sweet, I had to dump Miranda (something I was glad to do anyway) and took Tali on for Romance. She died in the Suicide mission, and I just didn't know what to say, I just turned off the XBox and left it at that. In the end I did re-do the mission and she survived, but I always take Tali on for Romances from now on.

Kyman102

Apr 16, 2009
You know, when my Shepard spoke to Liara in Lair of the Shadow Broker, she seemed pretty cool with the fact that my Shepard shacked up with Tali.

But now she's going to object? I hope Shepard gets an option to mention that yeah, we kinda talked about this already. You mentioned Tali and me, you seemed happy that we were together.

v.v Though it'd only be fair for me to apologize for Liara, and GENTLY tell her that of the two of them, I'm staying with Tali.

Then, in a perfect world, Tali asks why we can't all share.

Thanatos5150

Apr 20, 2009
IamGamer41 said:
Thanatos5150 said:
IamGamer41 said:
So they do intend to retcon previously straight characters into bisexuals.Lame Bioware.very lame.
Huh? What? Where?
I didn't see that written. Source?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.284170-Same-sex-Relationships-Mass-Effect-3?page=1

they have been some updates since yesterday.
Couldn't you have complained there, instead, then?
I'm glad to know this news, nonetheless, but it is mis-placed.

On another note: I may be the only one who got a slightly homosexual vibe from Kaiden/ManShep interactions, but I was disappointed that there was no bisexual/homosexual option from the begining.

But I have my Tali, and I'm happy. Just... I just hope Ashley doesn't swiss-cheese my favourite Quarian.
(And please, for the Love of Keelah, let me murder any biotic squadmates. And biotic major characters. And biotic background characters. I mean it. Murder. Brutal, sniper-round-to-the-face-from-point-blank murder.)

Dobrev

Mar 25, 2009
I don't get this term "betrayal". Especially since the game is structured in a such way that you can't do it even if you wanted to. How the story goes you may have affections to several people, but you can't get serious with them till the end of the game. And right before that you have to make a choice that will alienate all but the one you desire most. Enters ME2 where it has been several years and people change. Sheppard especially, he is a brand new person - literally. Memories remain, but the old love interests have gone cold. And that's understandable all characters are adults, so they move on. The love interest hunt begins anew. And you still can't have a serious companion till the end of the game. It is all too linear and uneventful in the grand scheme.

In fact I wish there were actually hard choices to be made that will put a bit RP in Mass Effect.

Thanatos5150

Apr 20, 2009
Not Gonna Get Me said:
lbucyk said:
Not Gonna Get Me said:
Oh great, I'm doomed :p Now I have to decide between Liara and Jack :p
Easy. Kill Ugly. Sleep with the hottie next
But I don't want to kill Liara :( :D
You have that backwards. Liara isn't drop-dead gorgeous, but Jack marks the only time I've scrambled to purchase DLC just so she'll wear a Keelah-damned shirt.

KLJT

Sep 15, 2010
Does that mean i HAVE to sleep with Jack again because... well Mirana was pissed and i'm sure Tali would give me space AIDS so i stayed well away and as i own Mass Effect 2 on my playstation instead of my Xbox (don't ask why because i don't know either) i have no other relationships.

Cap'n Ninja

Magnificent Malefactor
Jan 16, 2011
I'm sure this will be interesting, but what I'm really interested in is what happens if you played ManShep in 1 and Femshep in 2
"Shepard I can't believe you slept with... Wait, what?"

Jovlo

May 12, 2008
Thanatos5150 said:
IamGamer41 said:
Thanatos5150 said:
IamGamer41 said:
So they do intend to retcon previously straight characters into bisexuals.Lame Bioware.very lame.
Huh? What? Where?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.284170-Same-sex-Relationships-Mass-Effect-3?page=1

On another note: I may be the only one who got a slightly homosexual vibe from Kaiden/ManShep interactions, but I was disappointed that there was no bisexual/homosexual option from the begining.

But I have my Tali, and I'm happy. Just... I just hope Ashley doesn't swiss-cheese my favourite Quarian.
(And please, for the Love of Keelah, let me murder any biotic squadmates. And biotic major characters. And biotic background characters. I mean it. Murder. Brutal, sniper-round-to-the-face-from-point-blank murder.)
So, let me get this straight (no pun intended):
- There will be same sex relationships for both male and female Shepards.
- There won't be any new characters who will be romancable.
- Let's hope Bioware has taken the clue that making your characters bisexual all of a sudden is a rather lame move.
- Liara is already a "female" romance option for female Shepard.

Then the male-male romance option is perhaps... Joker?

I could totally see that work!

*Excited little dance*

Oct 30, 2010
None of the playthroughs I'm likely to import has a Kaiden or Ashley romance, so I should dodge the "NPC walked away from me and wouldn't listen, but I'm still the bad guy in the relationship" bullet.

I may have a Liara relationship that could be trouble though, can't remember offhand. I may have used an early enough save for Shadow Broker that my other relationship was never finished.

Jovlo said:
Then the male-male romance option is perhaps... Joker?

I could totally see that work!

*Excited little dance*
Or Joker spending the whole game in the infirmary.

Electric Alpaca

What's on the menu?
May 2, 2011
Disappointing.

Essentially this is developmental laziness, attempting to be hidden behind "depth". Just seems that this game is becoming more and more hollow with each announcement about it.

As far as "realism" goes, when you're facing certain death, the uncertainty of life etc amongst the first thing you'd do is find solace in an individuals arms/bed - faithfulness amongst other things not paramount in your concerns.

In short, a sequel that strips popular features is a bad omen.

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
Bull. Fucking. Shit.

So Ashley's gonna come back and ***** at me for giving Miranda my hot space-love, despite her being the one to talk off before?!

Fuck you BioWare, you better do this right.

IamGamer41

Mar 19, 2010
Thanatos5150 said:
IamGamer41 said:
Thanatos5150 said:
IamGamer41 said:
Huh? What? Where?

I did complain there.It is a valid complaint to point out that pre established characters becoming gay for no reason is a immersion breaker.At least for most people.Like I said in the other post it will take one hell of a writer to not screw this up.

Kaiden in the first game shuts you down when you stay to sex him up.Same with Ashley.So now its ok for them to be gay just to cater to a small group of fans?

Pointer

Mar 19, 2010
Random Argument Man said:
That works....if you played Mass effect 1 and 2. Might lose the effect if someone decided to skip directly to Mass effect 3.

Other than that, it looks promising if people doesn't do another Metacritic bomb because of 1 or 2 details.
In that case you are probably looking at a clean slate in that Shephard didn't have any relationships. So the awkwardness is all resolved. I'm gonna have a tough time explaining to Liara what happened with Tali in her absence.

ZeZZZZevy

Apr 3, 2011
Ashley turned into a ***** in ME2, so she has no right to get jealous of my relationship with Tali.

Although the catfight would be interesting to watch. haha

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
When the third game rolls around, I'm going to feel like such a bad boyfriend. And I'll deserve it: I cheated on Liara, my sweet, dorky, telekenetic girlfriend, with an emotionally vulnerable quarian who has had a crush on me for years.

I'm going to hell for breaking their hearts.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I'm not a fan of romances where it only really takes time. Much prefer the game systems where the romancable people looked at your actions and how you treated other people, and made a decision on you based on that. Romance in ME2 felt incredibly cheap and I ended up in one by mistake that I couldn't break out of because I felt the breakup option they gave was to cruel (you're terminally ill, so I can't go out with you)

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Oh well. I cheated on Ashely with Tali and I regret NOTHING!!! Especially after seeing what they made Ashely look like. Yuck.

(Yeah maybe that would be shallow if it was real people, but remember, it's just a GAME I'm talking about here.)