It's Old Flames Only in Mass Effect 3, Says BioWare [UPDATED]

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
cheywoodward said:
I don't think that makes sense for a lot of the characters. I'd understand if one of the characters was "in the closet", although you'd think society would become more tolerant after encountering alien species, but to have every single one of them be gay or bisexual seems to be a bit of a stretch. In addition, the same person, (Casey Hudson) is responsible for the info for both articles so now I'm even more confused.
I'm thinking that their rationale is that Shepard is one of those people that you would "go gay for", in the case of your teammates. It's not that big of a leap in logic. Back when you were just starting out against Saren, you were a pretty cool person, but that's about it. Now, you're essentially the most powerful human in the galaxy who's attained a level of badassery that can only be rivaled by Chuck Norris. I'm pretty sure that Kaidan or Garrus would be all ears to any "propositions" that you, Commander Fucking Shepard, make.

craddoke

Mar 18, 2010
Why does it have to be drama and fireworks if you've romanced more than one character in the series? On my ideal Normandy, we'd all be one big, happy, polyamorous, bi-sexual, multi-species family. Now why isn't that an option, Bioware?

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
I'd rather see a bland off between Kaiden and Jacob, but I can't think of anybody who would romance both of them

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
cheywoodward said:
I don't think that makes sense for a lot of the characters. I'd understand if one of the characters was "in the closet", although you'd think society would become more tolerant after encountering alien species, but to have every single one of them be gay or bisexual seems to be a bit of a stretch. In addition, the same person, (Casey Hudson) is responsible for the info for both articles so now I'm even more confused.
It's not a stretch at all - clearly all the characters are already Pan-sexual - they are sleeping with people of a different species.

IE: to Garrus, FemShep and MaleShep probably look about the same.

The only reason you couldn't romance them in ME2 was becasue SHEP lacked the "initiate romance" dialog option after the crew attempted flirtation. Both Tali and Garrus attempt to flirt with the Shep of the same gender in ME2, but Shep has no option to respond.

So I guess the only change is making Shep suddenly bisexual (Liara doesn't count - Asari can seduce anyone).

Luke5515

Aug 25, 2008
And you're going to have to look at some of the characters that you couldn't romance, but it implied that you could later.
Like samara, I have a feeling she's going to be back.

trooper6

Jul 26, 2008
nightwolf667 said:
I'm a little irritated that Bioware considers my breakup with Kaiden at Hope's Landing (or whatever it's called o_O) and then hooking up with Garrus to be cheating. Yes, breakup. The game didn't give me a choice over whether or not I wanted to end the relationship after he wailed "why didn't you call me! You terrorist! I can't trust you!"

I knew Bioware would count it as "cheating". (I didn't cheat on Liara because she behaved like an adult about the whole thing. Was I disappointed? Yes. Driven to the point of killing her like I was with Kaiden on every single Mass Effect playthrough ever after? No.) But it still bothers me that they are. I love how I'm supposed to overlook the fact that he basically shit all over me, then tells me he was seeing someone else (which is fine), and then says he needs to think about it. We were broken up. I died. He was seeing someone else. We didn't get back together the next time we met, ergo we were still broken up. You can't cheat someone you broke up with...
I'm with you completely (but with Ashley). It is wasn't clear that Ashley and I were through before Hope's Landing, it became clear afterwards. I do not, in any way, consider what I did cheating. If I had been all over Miranda from the get go, maybe. But I held off until I got closure with Ashley...which I did in the form of her crapping all over me and questioning my integrity after all we'd been through.

Now, I wouldn't be worried if *Ashley* considered it cheating and then I could explain my side...but I'm worried that *Bioware* considers it cheating and will therefore punish me for doing something bad.

socialtangent

May 23, 2009
Oh, boy.

My Shepard romanced Liara in ME1 and latched himself onto Tali in ME2. Shepard's got some explaining to do...

Kingsnake661

Dec 29, 2010
Undead Dragon King said:
cheywoodward said:
I'm thinking that their rationale is that Shepard is one of those people that you would "go gay for", in the case of your teammates. It's not that big of a leap in logic. Back when you were just starting out against Saren, you were a pretty cool person, but that's about it. Now, you're essentially the most powerful human in the galaxy who's attained a level of badassery that can only be rivaled by Chuck Norris. I'm pretty sure that Kaidan or Garrus would be all ears to any "propositions" that you, Commander Fucking Shepard, make.
I don't belive Garrus would, in all honesty. Kaidan.. eh, maybe.. ah, who can say. I'm not gay, as such i guess i tend to project a "stright" mentality on all of them. None of the males in the ME universe has ever seemed gay to me personally.Asari obviously have a lesbian vibe, and there was a dialog with Tali that kind of, maybe hinted at it... someWHAT... but again, i never though anything of it until people started pointing it out. I'm also the guy who never got the gay vibe from Johonie in KoToR... so maybe i'm just oblivious. LOL.

So.. it could be kind of jaring if it isn't done correctly... i mean, i LIKE Kaidan, and Garrus, alot. They are my bro's... I hope i don't have to actively be cold to them to keep them from flirting with me... it'd be really... off putting to me, at this point, because i've never seen them act that way.

So long as i can be good buddies with them and not have a few truely awakward moments on the ship... we'll be fine i guess..

Hawk of Battle

Feb 28, 2009
I'm still curious though, what happens if you only played ME2 (I'm on ps3), didn't do the interactive backstory (no prior love interest going into ME2) and then didn't romance anyone through all of ME2?

Is my Shephard going to be alone forever, or can I stil grab a last minute romance before the final showdown?

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
draythefingerless said:
romances in two were awkward, apart from tali. 1 wasnt much better, but it was a lil better. didnt like how miranda was basically bait for the eyes, since her character is very unlikeable
It felt like she had down syndrome. I felt bad about hitting on her whenever the time arose.

I need to play back through because of
the damn game trying to murder all the women on my team

If given the option I will be sure to sex it up with
garrus
those two were meant for one another.

Selvec said:
Bah, this is the reason I'm having to replay my paragon, because I didn't realize there was a choice to not have a love interest, given the hints Bioware dropped with Miranda's backside.
I like to think those weren't hints and you just have a crazy sexual deviant as your ships reality show camera man.

Kingsnake661

Dec 29, 2010
trooper6 said:
This makes me nervous...but here's my story.

In ME1 I was with Ashley.

In ME2 I was faithful to Ashley, until that scene in Hope's Landing when she acted how she did. I took that to mean we were definitely over. I don't date people who don't trust me--and people who accuse me of being a terrorist? Yeah, that doesn't work well with me.

So, *after* that, I began my romance with Miranda--and I didn't consider it cheating because it seemed like Ash and I were over...but then I got that apology email from Ash, and now it looks like Bioware will consider it cheating.

Man. I'm screwed.
At some point Shepared has to scream, "But we were on a brake!" . And I will be happy. ;-)

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
She may be fictional but dammit, I made her a promise: marriage, old age and, lots of little blue children.

My other main character however went from Ashley to Tali which should be interesting to watch.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Kingsnake661 said:
trooper6 said:
This makes me nervous...but here's my story.

In ME1 I was with Ashley.

In ME2 I was faithful to Ashley, until that scene in Hope's Landing when she acted how she did. I took that to mean we were definitely over. I don't date people who don't trust me--and people who accuse me of being a terrorist? Yeah, that doesn't work well with me.

So, *after* that, I began my romance with Miranda--and I didn't consider it cheating because it seemed like Ash and I were over...but then I got that apology email from Ash, and now it looks like Bioware will consider it cheating.

Man. I'm screwed.
At some point Shepared has to scream, "But we were on a brake!" . And I will be happy. ;-)
How on earth did you all not kill Ashley in ME1? She was so damn annoying to me. I wanted to shoot her myself :/.