It's Old Flames Only in Mass Effect 3, Says BioWare [UPDATED]

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Pointer said:
Random Argument Man said:
That works....if you played Mass effect 1 and 2. Might lose the effect if someone decided to skip directly to Mass effect 3.

Other than that, it looks promising if people doesn't do another Metacritic bomb because of 1 or 2 details.
In that case you are probably looking at a clean slate in that Shephard didn't have any relationships. So the awkwardness is all resolved. I'm gonna have a tough time explaining to Liara what happened with Tali in her absence.
True, but some users will not be able to live the full experience. That's what I'm saying.

Jovlo

May 12, 2008
4173 said:
Jovlo said:
Then the male-male romance option is perhaps... Joker?

I could totally see that work!

*Excited little dance*
Or Joker spending the whole game in the infirmary.
It would be similar to romancing Tali.
Kissing Tali will make her seriousy ill.
Joker's Vrolik syndrome could end in him having at least a fractured hip.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
inglioti said:
I struggled so much with the decision between Miranda and Tali. On the one hand, Miranda is amazingly hot, but on the other... MAYBE I'LL SEE WHAT A QUARIAN LOOKS LIKE

Chose Tali, and goddamnit, I knocked over my drink I was so annoyed.
Same here .....no drink spilling though :). I actually cursed myself out loud when I chose to turn down "Dat Ass".

OT: Wait, hang on? Didn't they JUST mention that there will finally be gay male relationships in ME3? Everyone assumed that that Vega guys was gay. But if he isn't an option, what're we looking at? How do they plan to implement the "new" Gay characters? Or was that just pulled out of someone's arse?

Aisaku

Jul 9, 2010
I'd say the ME3 have their work cut out for them. Doing the math, here's how many scenarios they'd have to deal with:

1.Cheating on Kaiden with Garrus
2.Cheating on Kaiden with Jacob
3.Cheating on Kaiden with Thane
4.Cheating on Kaiden with Samara/Morinth
5.Cheating on Kaiden with Kelly

6.Cheating on Ashley with Tali
7.Cheating on Ashley with Miranda
8.Cheating on Ashley with Jack
9.Cheating on Ashley with Samara/Morinth
10.Cheating on Ashley with Kelly

11.Cheating on Liara with Tali
12.Cheating on Liara with Miranda
13.Cheating on Liara with Jack
14.Cheating on Liara with Samara/Morinth
15.Cheating on Liara with Kelly
16.Cheating on Liara with Jacob
17.Cheating on Liara with Thane
18.Cheating on Liara with Garrus

3 Reunion scenes if you were faithful to Ashley / Kaiden / Liara in ME2.

Boy, are the voice actors going to go horse over the number of variations.

All of which should pave the way for a Hanar squadmate, who wouldn't be possible love interest, right? :DDDDDD

BaronIveagh

Apr 26, 2011
My question is: can we find a 'Tenchi Solution' to this one? And what sort of elaborate setup would be required for THAT?

Thanatos5150

Apr 20, 2009
IamGamer41 said:
Thanatos5150 said:
IamGamer41 said:
Thanatos5150 said:
IamGamer41 said:
So they do intend to retcon previously straight characters into bisexuals.Lame Bioware.very lame.
Huh? What? Where?
I didn't see that written. Source?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.284170-Same-sex-Relationships-Mass-Effect-3?page=1

they have been some updates since yesterday.
Couldn't you have complained there, instead, then?
I'm glad to know this news, nonetheless, but it is mis-placed.

On another note: I may be the only one who got a slightly homosexual vibe from Kaiden/ManShep interactions, but I was disappointed that there was no bisexual/homosexual option from the begining.

But I have my Tali, and I'm happy. Just... I just hope Ashley doesn't swiss-cheese my favourite Quarian.
(And please, for the Love of Keelah, let me murder any biotic squadmates. And biotic major characters. And biotic background characters. I mean it. Murder. Brutal, sniper-round-to-the-face-from-point-blank murder.)
I did complain there.It is a valid complaint to point out that pre established characters becoming gay for no reason is a immersion breaker.At least for most people.Like I said in the other post it will take one hell of a writer to not screw this up.

Kaiden in the first game shuts you down when you stay to sex him up.Same with Ashley.So now its ok for them to be gay just to cater to a small group of fans?
Huh, didn't know that, I never tried, and it certainly felt like Kaiden was ineptly trying to flirt with me. Still, he could be closeted? Dunno.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
If this is true then...: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/116/1168458p1.html

Does this mean Kaiden has finally realized his love for chiseled abs?

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
Apart of the 'no new LIs in ME3' bit, this isn't really breaking news. Wasn't it shortly after the ME2 release last year that Bioware mentioned repercussions in ME3 for being unfaithful?

The one interesting bit of information out of all of this is how the same sex relationships are going to work with no new LIs. So I guess that means Garrus, Kaidan and Wrex will be flirting with my male Shepard...?

Crazy_Man_42

Mar 10, 2011
I replayed Mass Effect 1 to try and not create a catfight but it failed.

ME1 like forces you into a romance and even if you deny it or reject them they still register as a romance option in ME2. Maybe I shouldn't have talked with Ashley at all during that playthrough.

Nov 28, 2007
Liara made it clear during Lair of the Shadow Broker that she was cool with me getting my Shep on with Tali. If she has a problem now, she's a bit late to the party.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I managed to handle this whole situation in ME1 and ME2 so I think I will have no problem in ME3.

I will still choose Tali over Liara and Ashley so it really doesn't matter for me.

Mr S

Jul 13, 2010
ZeZZZZevy said:
Ashley turned into a ***** in ME2, so she has no right to get jealous of my relationship with Tali.

Although the catfight would be interesting to watch. haha
Indeed :)

Ashley was a complete ***** in ME2, she has no right to say anything.
I took the exact same path as you, Tali is my absolute favorite :)
Did you romance everybody in ME2 and ran off with Tali in the end as well?

ZeZZZZevy

Apr 3, 2011
Mr S said:
ZeZZZZevy said:
Ashley turned into a ***** in ME2, so she has no right to get jealous of my relationship with Tali.

I wasn't really interested in anyone at first. Then my friend (who was moving through the game faster than me) told me Tali was a romance option. I was then on her in a heartbeat, cause I wanted her to be an option since I met her in ME1.

Aisaku

Jul 9, 2010
Casey Hudson got a tweeter account a little over a week ago, he's been answering questions left and right. So far it seems it won't be that previously straight characters turn bi, but that there will be new love interests for solely gay/lesbian shepards.

"Some game sites saying "previously straight chars now available for both m&f chars" not necessarily true. Will have some new LI's in #ME3"

http://twitter.com/#!/CaseyDHudson

So Zevran / Leliana style characters for ME3? Hmm not sure how I feel about that. It would have been pretty amusing to see Ashley suddenly falling for FemShep. =P

Mr S

Jul 13, 2010
ZeZZZZevy said:
Mr S said:
ZeZZZZevy said:

I wasn't really interested in anyone at first. Then my friend (who was moving through the game faster than me) told me Tali was a romance option. I was then on her in a heartbeat, cause I wanted her to be an option since I met her in ME1.
Yeah I wanted Tali from the beginning too.
But I didn't take the relationship-thing all too serious, so I talked as much as I could with everyone. Off course Miranda hated me when I told her I was going for Tali, but it was worth it.
Think it'll bite me in the ass in ME3?

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
Ashley vs. Miranda? I'll make some popcorn. And I'll get a kiddie pool of chocolate pudding.

lovest harding

Dec 6, 2009
Aisaku said:
Casey Hudson got a tweeter account a little over a week ago, he's been answering questions left and right. So far it seems it won't be that previously straight characters turn bi, but that there will be new love interests for solely gay/lesbian shepards.

"Some game sites saying "previously straight chars now available for both m&f chars" not necessarily true. Will have some new LI's in #ME3"

http://twitter.com/#!/CaseyDHudson

So Zevran / Leliana style characters for ME3? Hmm not sure how I feel about that. It would have been pretty amusing to see Ashley suddenly falling for FemShep. =P
Woo! This is wonderful news. I read the original news article about no new love interests and just about died. I was afraid it'd be another Anders situation (I like current Anders and old Anders, I just don't want to have to hear about more whining of how BioWare is changing characters). Plus, set characters have their own personalities and changing that just seems stupid, especially with ME characters who almost always have wonderful personalities.

ZeZZZZevy

Apr 3, 2011
Mr S said:
ZeZZZZevy said:
Mr S said:
ZeZZZZevy said:

Yeah I wanted Tali from the beginning too.
But I didn't take the relationship-thing all too serious, so I talked as much as I could with everyone. Off course Miranda hated me when I told her I was going for Tali, but it was worth it.
Think it'll bite me in the ass in ME3?
It's their fault for not being as awesome as Tali.

Polite Sage

Feb 22, 2011
Crazy_Man_42 said:
I replayed Mass Effect 1 to try and not create a catfight but it failed.

ME1 like forces you into a romance and even if you deny it or reject them they still register as a romance option in ME2. Maybe I shouldn't have talked with Ashley at all during that playthrough.
Just use more "neutral" options instead of "paragon" ones when talking to one you don't want to romance. Works well without having to be a total dick towards the other one.

And me. I hate that Tali wasn't a romance option in ME1, for if she had been I would have gone straight to her romance subplot. Had to cheat on Ashley in ME2 X(