Jimquisition: Previewed, Preordered, Prescrewed

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Previous pre-orders: Disgaea 4, Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy: Dissidia Duodecim, Dynasty Warriors 7, Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3, Sengoku Basara, Tactics Ogre: PSP.

Current pre-orders: Metal Gear Rising, Dynasty Warriors 7: Empires

Get the idea yet?

Many of these games wouldn't be stocked on the shelves if I had not pre-ordered a copy. The biggest exception (FFXIII) was the worst of the bunch, and my least favorite game this generation so...
Have you tried Amazon or other internet stores? Even at worst you usually only have to wait a month if it's out of stock and then it gets send straight to as soon as they get it.

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
trty00 said:
I used to be into the idea of preordering. I mean, you got to get it before everyone else right?
I don't ever remember getting the games before anyone else, but it was a way to ensure you could actually get the game on release day, just in case it sold out quickly.

Though in the age of digital distribution this is no longer an issue.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
KeyboardSnorlax said:
vxicepickxv said:
Pretty much the only companies that I can trust now for preorders are Atlus and Bethesda. Which is funny, because I know when I get a Bethesda product, I know it's going to be buggy.
True, but at least bethesda bugs are usually just funny.. like that one in New Vegas with that dog at the starts eyes
Honestly the only thing I don't like about Bethesda games pre-Skyrim is that they hard crashed.

If they fix that for their future games I'll always pre-order them until they screw me.

Ariseishirou

Aug 24, 2010
The only games I really preorder anymore are the yearly CoDs, and that's because I know exactly what I'm getting (the same thing as last year only with graphical and mechanical tweaks and a whole bunch of new maps). I know I'm going to be buying it anyway, and the pre-order versions generally offer the to-be-release DLC at a steep discount.

Everything else I wait for reviews. Been burned too many times.

Sehnsucht Engel

Apr 18, 2009
The last game I preordered was Guild Wars 2, and it makes me disagree with this to some point, because it's fucking awesome and the new content, which probably would have been DLC I needed to buy from someone else, has been free so far. There's been something new every month, and I've not paid any more since I first bought it.

It's probably very rare for developers to do it like that today though.

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
It boggles the mind that people that make their living selling such non-essential products treat us like we owe them something

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
I prebrought DNF... and will never prebuy any game ever again.

Well, HL3... so never ever again!

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
I was going to pre-order Bioshock Infinite this week but I've been hearing the final game is far more mechanical and "gamey" than the previews and past showings have demonstrated so probably a good idea to not blindly purchase it on faith now. I'm sure it will be fine but you really can't trust any studio anymore, except maybe Valve.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
I am not going to stop preordering games. I don't preorder AAA games like Halo, Call of Duty of Final Fantasy titles. Those games I know I can get on discount 3 months later. I typically only preorder games that are of niche interest. That way I can pay a reasonable price for it and not get screwed later on.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
I dunno, I mean I'd feel kind of hypocritical to be pro-crowdfunding & anti-preorder. I'm really not that difficult to please either.

I guess I can be anti-preorder on the grounds that I never buy initial releases. I always hold out until a GOTYE is released, or wait a year & a half for expansions & DLC price drops for those that don't get them.

Well, I would have preordered Carmageddon:Reincarnation if I'd known about it before the Kickstarter ended. I mean...How can you possibly f**k up Carmageddon?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
I only pre order collectors editions....whats the point otherwise?
Saviordd1 said:
Mass Effect 3 is what got me out of preordering games, this just confirms it for more people.
so you wouldnt have played it had you known about the ending?

I would have bought/played it regardless of how good/bad it was, the difference here being that I'd go in without any pre conceived Ideas so I oculd make up my own mind...rather than have the game "ruined" for me I'd rather ruin it myself

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Somehow, I can't help be recall movie trailers and how they sometimes completely misrepresent the point of a movie, all in order to get people to see that movie... Aren't there false advertising laws out there or something?

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
mfeff said:
The blame here, lies squarely on the feet of the developer and the serious lack of investment into the work presented. Tantamount to fraud, with no legal ramifications due to the nature of the software industry.

A craftsman or engineer would be severely reprimanded if not dismissed or brought liable for this sort of product...

Being it is a game game, fuck em; thanks for the new Ferrari. Hell even toy manufacturers are held to standards.

Reserves? "Jazz Hands!"
Oh, wow. You came here with a heart full of emotions and a brain full of words, it seems.

Awesome post, though. So awesome I found myself just skipping over and stop autocorrecting the spelling mistakes, instantly feeling stupid for being a part-time grammar nazi.

Yep, I agree with you that the state of the industry is worrying and troublesome, to say the least. Guaranteed sales are no warranty for proper funding and well-made games, it seems. I've seen pretty much the same issues pop up for a while since we all went 3D, FPS and obviously loving it. Autodesk must be making a fortune off the games industry. People that program virtual trees got a sale because, as it seems, Bethesda wasn't happy with what they got and they could't figure it out themselves before they were supposed to ship Fallout 3. Imagine that. Licensed trees.

The whole Alien conundrum is, methinks, not easily wrapped up, but I believe I see certain similarities of the 'horse meat scandal' that seems to have a firm grip over major European countries and big-name, big-money food companies and the 'utterly shite games non-scandal' state of affairs. We're bound to (want to) trust big names (Findus, Aldi, EA, Activision), but the bigger they get, the more important streamlined everything gets for them, to keep a tab on costs and TCO and ROI and whatnot. Findus does not seem to entertain fisheries, slaughterhouses, farms and crops. EA seems to buy and corrupt everything and everyone. Gearbox, although I thought they were much, much smaller, has obviously gone fully decadent and has outsourced development of a big-name franchise title that was ordered and paid for by SEGA, and Gearbox was either incapable, too busy or plain not interested in delivering what they sold upfront. Maybe they just wanted to stick it to the man and cause SEGA to sit on the massive turd that is A:CM. Maybe SEGA were cheapskates and Gearbox just couldn't be bothered.

They cheated and lied, and the crap they sold us is not worth any real time or money from average gamers, and it's bound to emotionally impact fans of the series in a very negative way. Aliens: Colonial Marines is cancer, ADD, depression and smallpox all rolled into one. It's a bad one.

I like your little bit about the Bushmaster M98B. I like the story, genesis, history of how it came to be. It took inspiration and dedication and significant risk taking to get this thing made, not just dreamed about. However, consider this: Currently, I don't believe important technological bits like Betamax or Laserdisc could happen in our current economical climate. Sony must prevail, one way or another, but I must admit that I haven't even bought so much as Sony TV for at least a decade, after pretty much twenty years of brand loyalty. I love my PS3, but from the top of my head, I can't think of a Sony developed or Sony funded title that really blew my mind lately. Was Journey funded by Sony? If yes, that's the one. The Sony party brawl thing - I haven't even played it once up to this point in time, and that can't possibly be a good sign.

I got a heavy disconnect with EA going on, I ignore most of the shit Activision cranks out. From ten to twenty games bought per year I went down to... three to four titles a year. Everything else just makes me happier with less money, and most of the additional time I spend outside, with or without other people, seems so much more important and precious to me. Driving a car, skinning deer, burying a dog and teaching a new puppy new tricks and laying down the general rules of how not be an asshole seems so much more satisfying than playing crap games and even paying money for them.

Yeah, I like Ni No Kuni. But I just can't be arsed to spend weekend after weekend dumping hours into it. I'll finish it, but I am much more likely to dump another hundred or so hours into Dark Souls, over the course of the months to come.

Oh, hey, people that hollered for an easy mode Dark Souls - get yourself Ni No Kuni. That's Dark Souls light, with Pokemons, Tamagotchis, plenty of pink and cute. And you can still die if you're thick. Oh, and you can save shit. Should tingle your easy-mode-loving fancy. Enjoy.

karma9308

Jan 26, 2013
mike1921 said:
Saviordd1 said:
Mass Effect 3 is what got me out of preordering games, this just confirms it for more people.

I honestly hope people take this to heart and don't preorder games based on previews or brand recogn....

So much for that idea.
http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/shooter/bioshock-infinite-na/
$10-$17 off for preordering. I think Jim and TB both neglected to say anything that really would always be against pre ordering a game for an actually tangible and significant benefit (It's so fucking rare a preorder bonus is significant they can't be blamed). For context: aliens pre-order came with fucking multiplayer skins. And it's from gearbox, who to my knowledge were heavily involved in duke nukem forever.

It's a risk versus reward scenario: In aliens the potential reward was fucking tiny and the risk was this scenario playing out right now.
.....This is probably the worst place to put this, but you've really made me want to pre-order Bioshock:Infinite now.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Also, I can't help but feel the gaming industry's long-term ideas is to keep coming up with nee bullshit to screw us over... And if the gaming industry falls... "Fuck it, we got the money." That's the feeling I get, this business is run by people who genuinely do not CARE about the industry, and that's just sad.