Lamest/WTF?! plot twist

Daipire

Oct 25, 2009
JaymesFogarty said:
Daipire said:
Metal. Gear. Solid.
Wait, MGS1? What plot twist didn't you understand?
Oh hoh hoh, let me just prepare my notes....

And i was ok with MGS1, but since the second (I blame raiden), the plot has been twisting so much it's strangled itself and Hideo is forced to slice off the random pieces of plot, hoping they make sense in at least one language.

And if it helps for the metaphor, i imagined the plot to be a dragon, like one of the really long and skinny chinese ones so it can tangle itself easy.

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
Cargando said:
Delusibeta said:
The last episode of the US version of Life on Mars. No. Just no.
The US version? Why what happened?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_on_Mars_(U.S._TV_series)#Synopsis

Read the last two paragraphs.

Americans would apparently be too stupid to get the Bowie reference, so ABC chose that instead.

OT: The plot twists in Arc: Twilight of the Spirits were pretty good, except for the utterly random moment where
Kharg grows demon wings

I know it's meant to show his heritage, but the way everyone abandons and ostracises him is a bit...OTT. Plus he's fine immediately afterwards.
(on the plus side, you get to team up with a guns akimbo pirate. Which is awesome.)

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
wouldyoukindly99 said:
Perhaps Rapture was too dangerous for little baby Jack to grow up in, he had that accelerated growth so I think that Jack is only about two or three years old at the time of the game and he needed a safe place to mature then come back as Fontaine's puppet.

What I want to know is how Jack was able to get to land and live on the surface (..."When me and the Kraut put you in that sub you were no more than two.") how the fuck does a baby get to shore from a sub? This part has always puzzled me.
Shouldn't really puzzle you, gotta come to terms that the developers just didn't think that far, it's pretty much a plot hole but then again Bioshock doesn't exactly exist in the most believable world.

Biggest plot hole for me is where are the world government in all this. When I heard about Bioshock 2 I thought it was going to be about the US or Soviet Union getting involved trying to capture the secrets of Rapture.

Now that would be an interesting sequel.

P.Tsunami

Feb 21, 2010
sinclose said:
Indigo prophecy. I have nothing against a plot turning supernatural with time, but these fellas shoved it all in your face in one go. Also, your choices barely matter by that point.
YMMV. I got a raging metaphorical hard-on when they went over the rails.
My entry, sadly, is a game from the same studio: Heavy Rain. I really wanted to like this game, despite it's many flaws. I think I still kind of do. But the big twist was a disappointment, IMO.

Scott Shelby is the origami killer. Despite looking to be -way- older than what the Origami Killer would be, and actually -being- older than he should. David Cage engages in a lot of deception to make sure you're unable to guess the real identity of the killer. Some of it is brilliant (the way he uses Ethan as a smokescreen to shift blame to Lt. Blake, for example), but some of it just plain hiding information that make the final conclusion unreasonable, IMO.

Consider this: Scott Shelby is explicitly said to be 48 at the time of the game's ending. As the game is set to late 2011, this would likely make him born in 1963. The flashbacks where his brother dies is set in 1976.
*For one, they confuse you by insisting that "John Sheppard died 30 years ago", when it in fact was 35. Coupled with the fact that the kids in the flashbacks look no older than ten years old, this makes you look for a 40 year old killer at most, completely dismissing Shelby as a suspect.
*Secondly, Shelby's year of birth means he's supposed to be thirteen at the time of his brother's death. Again, I have a hard time believing the kids in the flashbacks look or act anything like thirteen year old boys.
*Finally, of course, it's the nugget that the game never reveals Shelby's age until after the fact, and his character model makes him look well into his fifties.

All of these things added together, IMHO, makes for a rather unsatisfying twist that leaves the player feeling like he's been tricked. I won't speak for anyone else, but both me and all friends who've played it have left the game disappointed.

SoullessSolace

Jul 15, 2009
John Doe the tv series... at the end... its really a case of "the butler did it" but it doesnt get explained... clearly it was being set up for a second season which never happened...

Arcticflame

Nov 7, 2006
sinclose said:
Indigo prophecy. I have nothing against a plot turning supernatural with time, but these fellas shoved it all in your face in one go. Also, your choices barely matter by that point.
Oh dear god this. The fights were utterly stupid. A gritty crime story turned into a ridiculous
kung fu robot fighting magic using dead superman
? What the hell happened?!

APLovecraft

Jan 13, 2010
The ending in God of War 3.

Power of hope my ass.
Well, you can't expect a franchise with terrible writing and insane amounts of plot inconsistencies to have a solid ending. It's a grand and epic story, but that's about it.

CmdrGoob

Oct 5, 2008
Final Fantasy 8 is the worst offender I've ever seen. That orphanage plot twist.... so bad.

Akiada

Apr 7, 2010
MadeinHell said:
Well it happening for more than 2 people at the same place in the same time kinda deminishes it as being a bug.
+ It would be a REALLY weird bug to have him in a pose that didn't appear through the rest of the game just to have him stare at you from the sealing.

And I'm pretty sure it's mentioned in wiki for ME2 I'll go check now.
It happening for multiple people doesn't diminish it at all. It, in fact, solidifies it. Bugs tend to be reoccuring. That is, after all, how they get fixed - not throwing code into the game until it (maybe) vanishes. They get it to happen, figure out what happened, and enact a fix that prevents it from happening in the future.

What likely happened is this: to get the whole TIM projector thing going on, they have to have TIM's model somewhere in the map. This means they have to hide TIM off in the endless black nowhere outside the main map. What likely happened if someone forgot a brush or two or three and TIM bled through that opening.

AnAngryMoose

Nov 12, 2009
Shockolate said:
A GIANT WOOOORM!!?!??!one!?!

Nothing against Gears of War 2, but I love saying that.
Or the one where you find out

Marcus' father was collaborating with the Locust queen

Why? We'll never know unless it's explained in the third.

Cargando

Apr 8, 2009
tomtom94 said:
Cargando said:
Delusibeta said:
The last episode of the US version of Life on Mars. No. Just no.
The US version? Why what happened?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_on_Mars_(U.S._TV_series)#Synopsis

Read the last two paragraphs.

Americans would apparently be too stupid to get the Bowie reference, so ABC chose that instead.
Oh dear, that is a hideously bad idea...

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
Every single Tri-Ace game. In particular the worst offenders were Star Ocean 3 and Eternal Sonata.

Halfway through the game you get 'LOL IT'S THE MATRIX' as the twist
END OF THE GODDAM GAME they finally remember it's about Chopin and not the emo-drama in his head. So he tries to murder you, and you beat him to death. Still killing the world in his head.

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
CmdrGoob said:
Final Fantasy 8 is the worst offender I've ever seen. That orphanage plot twist.... so bad.
Worse is the stupid "Oh btw the real boss is Ultemicia." "Who?" "Fuck if I know, go kill her." twist in the end of that game.

Zorpheus

Aug 19, 2009
Crimson_Dragoon said:
This may be beating a dead horse, but Final Fantasy VIII.

Just about every important character in the game (main bad guy included) is from the same orphanage, but most of them don't remember it because of some arbitrary plot element seemingly pulled out of the writer's asses. What's that? GF's make you forget things? How could we not know this beforehand? And why didn't Squall remember he was from the same orphanage as about half his school before he even got his first GF?

Then again, I always got the impression with that game that there were 2 groups of writers: one working on the first half, and another working on the second half, and these 2 groups rarely talked to each other.
This. Dumbest-Plottwist-ever.