Leaked Microsoft Video Reveals Horrible Future for PC Gaming

Socius

Dec 26, 2008
The horror... I hope Bill Gates fall to sincere despair ang agony over this. What happened here, are minor Indy- or Arcade games the big thing now?

Watchmacallit

Jan 7, 2010
This will be for teens, no one else will really use it. I mean, everyone else uses Steam, that is a true gaming program.

joshthor

Aug 18, 2009
microsoft is REALLY f%#^ing up with thier pc gaming audience. they could have something really great. build a client like steam, that is like xbox live, you earn achievements on ALL of your games for windows titles, and it cant be too intrusive, and you will have a loyal following. hell. if it was like they did on dawn of war 2 ill be happy. (i loved getting achievements and chatting with my xbox live freinds)

microsoft wants to build an audiance for games for windows that frankly doesnt care. farmville moms arent going to take the time to build a games for windows account, particularly if it isnt required. games for windows is going to just continue to alienate its core audiance while not building its market at all.

on a side note, while i hate apple, i really hope pc gaming migrates their way. it would serve microsoft right. plus, i believe apple would help grow the pc gaming audience.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
I will never pay for my PC's Online, MICROSOFT YOU SHALL NOT DO THIS......we prefer steam

Kathinka

Jan 17, 2010
the horror..the horror.. i seriously have goosebumps irl now.

when? when did this happen? when did pc's become consoles?

Bonecrusher

Nov 20, 2009
Companies like EA, Ubisoft, Activision, have a target audience in their minds.
This changed the style of the games a lot.

Microsoft just wants to get a share in this new era.
So, they used Xbox menu graphics for "the next Windows Gaming" advertisement.
This video shows they assume they know the cyberculture or gamer terminology by writing there "p0wned". yeah, i see many "pwned" or "0wned"s but no "p0wned". may be xbox gamers have that terminology, i don't know.

but the weirdest part, this video praises DLC items, facebook games like farmville, casual games like Bejeweled and achivement system as "the ideal gaming".

the video is not surprising, game companies wants to appeal facebook users instead of quakers. nobody cares hardcore gamers of progamers. they don't buy dlc's, they don't pay in f2p games. but facebook users do. so, the new trend is going this way.
unfortunately.

Jonabob87

Jan 18, 2010
We've now reached 9 pages of people complaining about something they don't have to use or even pay attention to...

So what if you're not the target audience, like I say you don't have to use the thing. So why ***** and moan about it?

Arella18

Apr 22, 2009
Actually I can see this...they've already got the hardcore gaming demographic set with the xbox...but think about how many casual users do they have? They're trying to take back the casual gamers that the Wii has by making the PC seem friendlier towards them.

I do think this is alienating the hardcore gamers though and it isn't a positive marketing strategy to do that when you're game system is extremely popular.

Nov 24, 2010
Anyone who actually cares about gaming will be using Steam. Anyone using this new Microsoft thing is clearly just a casual gamers and probably won't look at it more than twice. And seriously... "P0wned"? *Sigh*

dinnerordie17

Apr 3, 2010
Jonabob87 said:
We've now reached 9 pages of people complaining about something they don't have to use or even pay attention to...

So what if you're not the target audience, like I say you don't have to use the thing. So why ***** and moan about it?
It does affect us, when game companies stop making the games we want to play and instead work to appeal to our mom's it is affecting us.

TheXRatedDodo

Jan 7, 2009
Buying things enhances my gaming and entertainment experience.
Am I the only one who thinks this is a genuinely fucking DARK thing to say?
I'm all for a capitalist society but if people are going to be so fucking insistent on compromising the quality of an artform, shouldn't that be the point where people say "alright mate, you've got enough now" and give them a slap on the wrist?

This sort of materialist attitude really fucking scares me, eeurgh.

Jonabob87

Jan 18, 2010
dinnerordie17 said:
Jonabob87 said:

It does affect us, when game companies stop making the games we want to play and instead work to appeal to our mom's it is affecting us.
What exact games did Microsoft themselves stop developing in order to do this? M$ don't develop games.

idiotsavant

Aug 25, 2009
It has been about 5 minutes since I finished viewing the video, and I still have a nasty cringe stuck on my face. I'm hoping it will wear off soon, but I fear it may be permanent.

Wuggy

Jan 14, 2010
Ok, I understand that Facebook and Twitter are the most popular things right now, and everyone wants a piece of it, but we don't want a f***ing Microsoft Facebook! "Who will lead the way of the PC gaming?" Well not you apparently, since you seem to think that PC gaming experience is Bejeweled, Farmville and annoying your friends when you did something in-game on Facebook. Yeah, Facebook already got that covered, I don't see how you're going to improve upon it.

If you're trying to take over the PC gaming department you're doing it the wrong way. Look at the most popular services (that are actually dedicated to PC gaming) like Steam and try to improve upon that. They're not a monolith that can't be taken down a notch and they are not perfect, but it's the best we've got and it seems to be that way for a long time, based on stuff like this video.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Andy Chalk said:
That which is seen cannot be unseen, which is a real shame when it comes to things like this video created by Microsoft that details the company's plan for a connected, social, casual gaming experience characterized by bright colors, microtransactions and ceaseless interaction with online "friends."
Microsoft doesn't know hardcore PC gamers at all! This is a slap in the face. Everyone knows they don't have any "friends".

shadowform

Jan 5, 2009
Microsoft is so focused on making money that it seems like they've forgotten that in order to make money, they need to offer products and services that people actually want...

Aedrial

Jun 24, 2009
The thing that REALLY bothered me was Farmville coming up as something similar to Bejeweled...