Mass Effect 3 Fans Will Find Closure June 26th

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
All they did was delay the inevitable because people wanted a change, they apparently aren't delivering that, so I imagine it's not going to satisfy anyone.

That said, I am increasingly unlikely to support the Mass Effect franchise in the future, and between what we've seen here and what happened with both TOR and DA2 my confidence in Bioware is greatly shaken, especially seeing as DA3 doesn't seem to be actually learning from the mistakes of DA2 and going back to the DA1 format.

We'll see what happens, but this was their big chance to win back my confidence, and by sticking to their guns here it doesn't seem likely to happen. Simply put the endings are garbage, and elaborating on garbage still makes it garbage. As I've said before, they aren't as bad as some other people have let on, but they still do not fit with the series, and it still comes down to a massive sacrifice of their integrity for franchise potential, followed by the crazy claim that sticking with these terribad endings is somehow retaining artistic integrity despite their own interviews and comments on the subject.

That said, time will tell, if this goes like I expect, perhaps there is enough energy left in the ME3 movement to go after Bioware/EA even harder. Truthfully I think winning here is good for the industry and gamers.

Rascarin

Feb 8, 2009
The only thing that would make it okay for me is if Liara has my baby. That's all I ever wanted from the ending - little blue children.

Max_imus

Jul 8, 2010
Spartan212 said:
Max_imus said:
My only question is: Will I have to grind multiplayer for assets to get the best ending again? I mean, not that the multiplayer is terrible, it's just so.... grindy. That and the idea that I won't be able to get the best ending a couple years down the road because no one's gonna play the multiplayer anymore makes me kinda angry already.
Too lazy to look for it, but there was a dev post saying that the DLC would include a patch that would make it so you wouldn't have to grind MP to get the "best" ending.....kinda like they were supposed to in the beginning
Well, if that's true, I am quite releived. Thanks!

Captcha: Weylan(d) Yutani. Dang, it always gets it right, doesn't it?

MortisLegio

Nov 5, 2008
Elamdri said:
MortisLegio said:
Elamdri said:
MortisLegio said:
Elamdri said:
How are you getting "Joker is acting out of character and being a coward" Out of "Meet up at the Rendezvous point"?
Joker wouldn't ever abandon Shepard. No matter if it meant risking the ship, crew, or himself. Joker would stay if not try to pick up Shepard. He wouldn't get an order to run, say "Yes sir." and fly off unless Shepard ordered him to. Now if that happens in the DLC, cool but by that screenshot we get order to run and in the already made ending Joker runs. That's also why I said I will wait to make my final opinion until I play/see it. But by that one screen it's not looking like this ending is going to make (most) people happy.
But what about the ending of Mass Effect 2 where Shepard dies? He just falls from the Normandy and Joker ABANDONS him!?!?

*eye roll*

I don't think this can be interpreted as Joker "Abandoning" Shepard. There are far too many unknowns to be making conjectures like that.
Oh, you mean where Shepard TELLS Joker to run? I said the only person that could have Joker leave Shepard behind is Shepard. Also, I said I haven't made up my mind on it yet (because we don't know the entirety of the scene) but with what knowledge we have it isn't looking good.
No way man, Joker is so loyal to Shepard that he wouldn't even abandon Shepard for Shepard! Wait. Where were we going with this?

My point is that I think the community (As usually) is running around like a panicky, bunch of pillocks without stopping to even think. Let the damn DLC come out before starting the inevitable QQ at the very least.
My point is, Joker is loyal and if Hackett says "go to the rendezvous." Joker would attempt to rescue Shepard or at least object to leaving him/her behind (more than just a couple of lines of dialog) unless Shepard told him to leave.

I have said in every post that I'm holding off my final judgement until the DLC comes out, but as of what we know for the character of Joker it isn't looking good whether you liked the ending or not.

Hawkeye 131

Jun 2, 2012
As much as I appreciate BioWare's attempt to right a wrong I don't think the EC will resolve all the issues that the endings created. I hate to render judgement against something I have yet to observe but this just seems like a band aid on a bullet wound.

In reality this Extended Cut DLC is just addressing the symptoms of a greater problem, the endings themselves. I think in order to completely correct the problem they would need to fundamentally change all the endings for a number of different reasons, (many people have discussed what is actually wrong with the endings and have done so to great lengths and produced very insightful work).

Being a HUGE fan of the Mass Effect franchise I thought that although ME3 was successful in certain areas it failed to live up to most of the hype, developers statements, PR bravado, and fan expectations among other things.

I have researched this topic extensively and the two biggest questions I asked myself is how did this happen and why? What led one of my favorite developers to produce such a (for lack of better words), piece of crap?

The answers?

Well the how is some what easy,

-Pressure to meet pre-established deadlines
-Pressure from EA
-Lack of resources (time, money, man-power, etc...)
-Poor planning
-Sloppy writing

Why?

-An incompetent Executive Producer and Lead Writer

To be quite honest upon further reflection I am astounded that this even happened in the first place. I always thought Mr. Hudson was a rather intelligent person. I very much enjoyed watching and listening to him speak. He is such an eloquent, thoughtful and insightful person among other things. Much to my surprise it was partially his input that caused ME3's fall from grace in my eyes.

MGlBlaze

Oct 28, 2009
No.

This video makes a pretty good case. What I wanted was not more of the shitty nonsensical and destructive ending that we got. I want actual endings. New endings.

For one I seem to specifically recall that one of the endings would be that the reapers would win. Where was that? We have an ending that presumably destroys everything in the galaxy, but that just means everybody loses. We don't have a 'reapers win - up to whatever races come next' ending. Not to mention things start getting stupid from the end dash onwards.

For one it's possible to put yourself into a position where Harbinger's 'beam' actually clips through the structure and hits you anyway. Even ignoring a direct hit from that thing should have just vaporised Shepard outright. Then everything else afterwards that has been discussed already.

The ending was terrible. I don't want them adding new shit that explains the previous shit. I want them to remove the shit and replace it with something respectable.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
wooty said:
I have to wait until July 4th? I have to wait until July 4th?!

Sometimes it pays off being Microsoft's whipping boy.

Thank you, my masters.

OT: Will definitely get this. I don't want this series to end :( Even though I'm trying to ignore that the endings happened

=y

May 11, 2012
War Penguin said:
Yeah... it's still gonna suck. The only way out is the Indoctrination Theory and that's definitely not gonna happen, considering how so many fans decided to believe that and Bioware would want to do something original. That's what sort of happened to the original ending: Since it was leaked, Bioware wanted to surprise everyone and change the ending to those who read the leaks. That's how we got... that.

That being said... I don't really care anymore. I'm not so in to the Mass Effect series anymore, due to the whole debacle. My feelings could be summed up with, "Eh... What's the point?"
And then there is me, that guy who still hasn't gotten around to beating the first ME. Not that I'll be getting 3 until EA finishes feuding with Steam. I'm not buying a console just for one game and I'm not plugging into Origin.

OT: As an impartial observer I have a raised eyebrow. Pretty sure this is like returning to the wasp nest you threw rocks at earlier with a hockey stick and booze. You're not going to knock the angry wasps away in one blow, you're going to miss and get stung repeatedly...

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
"Mass Effect 3 Fans Will Find Closure June 26th"?

Well, I do admire the optimism...

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
Free? I honestly wasn't expecting that.

I mean, just about everyone has been bitching out anything BioWare/EA has done over this- or any other game for that matter, but I didn't expect the "okay, they're pissed off, just give it to them for free" response here. Still not as down on the ME3 ending as some people out there. Disappointed, but not terrible or worth formally accusing EA of false advertising. I would hope people would at least give them some props for the price of FREE on this and all the other DLC for ME3 so far.

Not that it has to change their opinion or that EA/BioWare break even in the "props" department- but at least a smidge out of the red.

When it's all said and done though, watch the comments, 4chan and r/gaming for the inevitable "rants" on how:

*this changes nothing
*EA sucks
*EA is raping my childhood
*EA SUCKS AMIRITE?!?
*I have unrealistic expectations for how a corporation can unfuck a PR nightmare
*games since 19XX suck
*Tali Tali Tali Tali Tali Tali Tali Tali Tali Tali Tali Tali Tali
*______ is still a better ending than ME3, amiritE????
*hey guys look at this underrated gem (wildly popular game before 1998) I took a picture of on my shelf found at Goodwill.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
To be honest I'm one of those people who didn't think all of Mass Effect 3 was awesome up until the ending.

With the exception of the Rannoch and Tuchanka missions I found the main quests to be rather dull and poorly designed shooting galleries.

Then sticking with quests, how about the tedium of the eaves-dropping sides quests and the poorly designed and vague journal that doesn't update your progress.

How about the face import bug that still doesn't work correctly after Bioware's 'fix'.

Not to mention the comedy animations, poor texture work, terrible lip-synch.

Then we have the promise that all content would be available through single player alone, and that multiplayer was just an alternative to getting there, something that proved to be a lie no matter how short that 'breath' scene may be.

Of course then I must mention the amount of dialogue on which the player gets no input and how many of them have been turned into passive "Zaeed and Kasumi" (in ME2) style conversations.

Despite all that though I could have forgiven it all if the ending had been spectacular. Even the nonsense logic of the Star-Child could have been ignored, I could have forgiven them not factoring in my choices through the trilogy.

But to tell me that the Red, Green or Blue choice is going to result in vastly different outcomes, only to then show me virtually identical ending cinematics was something I couldn't overcome.

At the very least I hope the Extended Cut makes that final choice truly reflect the colour you pick.

GrimSheeper

Jan 15, 2010
"expands on the meaning of the original endings" This is what has me worried. Does this mean that like with the Extended Cut DLC, we will be getting more of the ending we didn't want and then scenes to explain the things we didn't like with more things we don't like?

They really have to do something great with the current ending for it to make sense and be possible, I still refuse to believe that Joker would abandon Shepard like he would have had to have done for the ending to actually happen. Bioware screwed themselves over with this ending, and I can fully support the fans in their rage. Nothing you did in the game has any effect whatsoever and you get to chose the lightshow color at the end. The ending itself makes no sense, comes out of nowhere and is written on the level of a middle schooler writing fanfiction. It really comes down to the Indoctrination Theory being their only way out now.

Triality

May 9, 2011
I wouldn't have had half the problems with the ending if there were at the very least a final boss, and it could have easily been added into the final 10 minute portion easily.

I mean, in the first game you fight Sovereign through Saren's cybernetic corpse. In 3, why not have Harbinger "ASSUME CONTROL" of a cybernetically modified Illusive Man and have some arena-based battleground fight just like as was done with Kai Leng. All the while Shepard, Harbinger, and Illusive Man have a 3-way banter going on over who should be victorious, culminating in one final push from Shepard to gun down his ultimate nemesis, meanwhile in reality the Allied Forces see Harbinger's shield's go down just like what happened with Sovereign and then a montage scene of ALL the forces you gathered combining infantry, artillary, and air power to take down the galaxy's first reaper.

Shit would have been so goddamned cash and secured in every gamers mind that Bioware makes awesome stories in addition to games. Instead Casey Hudson wanted to be all Stanley Kubrick and deny us a worthy climax.

I swear to god it's like that Blink 182 song: "We started making out, and she took off my pants, and then I turn on the TV. And that's about the time she walked away from me..."

I really hope this DLC doesn't just widen the hole ME3's ending left inside.

Kingsnake661

Dec 29, 2010
The endings were a pile of crap. I don't care how much you explain to me, what an awsome pile of crap it was, what's it made of, the name of the dude how droped it, or where it went after i threw it out, it's still a pile of crap.

So whatever. Part of me hopes it really, REALLY blows and back lash is HUGE. Hurt there bottom line some more. Send a message that craping on there fan base has conquances. *shrug*

AC Medina

Oct 12, 2009
This whole thing continues to baffle me. Bioware should've just stuck by its team and the creative decisions it took, as opposed to giving in to the completely insane reaction by the gaming public. Whoever was disappointed by the first ending will surely be disappointed by this "extended version" as well, and all the developer will accomplish is to prove that they care more about consumer pressure than about artistic integrity.