Megan Fox Wants to Star in a Live-Action Sailor Moon Movie

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Apart from the age issue (which is clearly there), the issue of her looking nothing like Sailor Moon, and the issue of a Western movie probably being utter shit, SHE'S IN ALL THESE FUCKING MOVIES. For variety's sake, find someone else.

And please, not Gundam. I'm happy to point and sneer at Transformers and TMNT, but I actually like some Gundam.

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
I wouldn't mind seeing the original Gundam in live action, after Pacific Rim i think they could pull it off, though that would require the 3 movie format.

NotThePANTSU

Apr 4, 2014
Zetatrain said:
NotThePANTSU said:
Kaimax said:
NotThePANTSU said:
Scarim Coral said:
(I'm pretty sure Gundam aren't made for the live action screen due to how much they have to cramp in the war politics into mere hours film length!!
Have you seen the last couple of Gundam series? They're pretty much glorified toy-ads now.
Gundam Build fighter is still a god damn better series than G-Savior though.
I wasn't defending G-Savior but pointing out that war politics have no part in Gundam anymore.

Maybe I didn't give the latest series enough of a chance but after Gundam Age I had very little patience left for what I saw as a severe downward spiral from entertaining Scifi Animé to 25 minute advert for model kits.
You keep up with Gundam Unicorn at all?

Also, in all honesty Gundam has always been a glorified 25 minute advert for models/toys, some series are just less obvious than others.
I didn't count Unicorn because it's not a full TV series. I watched the first episode soon after it aired and have left it on my 'to watch' list since then.

Can't argue that Gundam is made with the intention of selling merchandise but making the series about the toys is what took it too far for me.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that they weren't making enough money off the expensive kits anymore and that's why they decided to aim for the younger audience more heavily with the hope that they could hawk the more profitable stuff in greater volumes. It's understandable but I just wish it wasn't the case.

Of course there are several other Mecha series that have filled the void, so it's no great loss to me, but since we're talking about how Hollywood ruins its adaptations by making films with no regard for the source material, in order to flog merchandise to kids, I couldn't help but see the parallel.

Kaimax said:
Go to 2.07 for the live action transformations
I just threw-up in my mouth a little.

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
NotThePANTSU said:
I just threw-up in my mouth a little.
Now Imagine Megan Fox doing the same thing...lol

NotThePANTSU said:
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that they weren't making enough money off the expensive kits anymore and that's why they decided to aim for the younger audience more heavily with the hope that they could hawk the more profitable stuff in greater volumes. It's understandable but I just wish it wasn't the case.
Look at the bright side, now they have the money to actually make more gundam.
AGE failed hard because of them overestimating the child demographic. Most of kids didn't understand Space War Drama, and when they decided to lighten up the whole thing, it was too late. Also because of that the story became convoluted.

Gundam Build Fighter is what they did right, make the story easier to digest and enjoy, not the dumbing down the drama. Heck, it was even well accepted by young adults as well. In short, GBF was very entertaining and hardly has any faults other than not being your preference.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Riverwolf said:
I grew up with Power Rangers, too. ^_^
And that's only one example!

...no, they didn't downplay it at all. At least not in the Japanese version. Their youth was brought up all the time.
Should be clear by now that I'm not talking the Japanese version. It was still legal to have sex with 14 year olds in Japan, so it wasn't at issue.

...actually, never heard of that song, but yes, the main five are 14-ish at the beginning.
How did you escape that song?

Just saying girl geeks aren't the only ones who'd be upset by the casting choice. :p
But now geek girls can experience animosity in a similar level to that of geek guys!

I was still a preteen when the whole "girl power" thing was... a thing, so I don't even really know what that was. (Sounds like some kind of pop-feminism.) I always did regard Buffy, at least the first season, as kind of an American Sailor Moon.
Considering the Spice Girls kept saying it, pop sounds about right.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Kaimax said:
wulfy42 said:
Seriously though, how are they gonna handle the costume changes with live action?
Well ,The Japanese already thought about it. (Don't forget they already have a live action serial TV for Sailor Moon)
Go to 2.07 for the live action transformations

The hell did I just watch?

I feel like I need a shower and about five years of therapy.

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
I didn't know she was into anime. That's pretty cool. Gundam Wing is one of my personal favorites, but unfortunately the story doesn't really hold up too well and Heero's character is nonexistent for the first half of the series at least. The rest of it is just "ZOMG PEACE!"

As far as Sailor Moon goes, sure, why not. Just aim it at kids and don't try to make some gritty reboot.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Maybe as Queen Beryl, but then you'd still have the issue of acting range... and the probability that a live-action, Americanized Sailor Moon is going to suck balls. Not that the original series didn't.

Hutzpah Chicken

Mar 13, 2012
I haven't seen Gundam Wing since the early days of Toonami. Maybe I should re-watch it after I finish Dragon Ball Z.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
NotThePANTSU said:
Scarim Coral said:
(I'm pretty sure Gundam aren't made for the live action screen due to how much they have to cramp in the war politics into mere hours film length!!
Have you seen the last couple of Gundam series? They're pretty much glorified toy-ads now.
Yeah but can you honestly say they can make a good live action Gundam movie since they still have to cramp in 25- 50ish episodes into 1.30 to 3 hours film which it's pretty much having the zero kid/ teen to becoming a hero at the end of it unless they made it into a triliogy?

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I could see her potentially fitting into a Gundam movie, depending on the role she played, but I cannot see her as "Sailor Moon", as others have pointed out she's too old to be pulling off a high school student right now. What's more she'd better fit Sailor Mars due to her hair color. Not that this would work well either, given that the thing is so rooted in Japanese high school culture (or what could be called RETRO Japanese high school culture now given the passage of time) that they really should use an entirely Japanese cast. Sort of like casting Heimdall as black (not to stir that up) I'm not big on ethnicity swaps, especially when culture is integral to it. Having whites or a mixed-western world cast being Japanese super heroes in a Japanese school (which is needed to explain the trademark uniforms) feels as wrong as a black Nordic god, even if you were to say make it exclusive to one of the supporting characters. I suppose they could try and relocate it, like they wanted to do with "Harry Potter" (they wanted to make Harry Potter a kid in New Jersey, thankfully JK Rowling and her people stopped them), but that's another bad idea and raises the question of "what's the point?" I mean the character is "Sailor Moon" and your not going to sell that without her wearing a bloody sailor suit, which isn't really relevant to US schools.

That said Anime is stylized to the point where half the problem with live action anime adaptions is that they look ridiculous when done properly with real people. Giving an actual Japanese school girl blonde hair and tying it up in surreal braids is something only a very few people can pull off, and for the most part when you see it on film something like that is more akin to "WTF am I looking at" not selling the average Japanese high school student. As a result most anime works best when left as Anime where a whole world that is stylized can carry off the concepts and appearences without worrying about how a lot of these trademark looks would actually appear if someone tried them IRL.

Now, before someone pulls out pictures of cosplay girls from Japan who CAN pull off Sailor Moon and company (I am aware of such things) understand they represent the exceptions, and being Cosplay girls are not going to be the ones cast in a professional level movie or TV series, or at least without an even bigger disaster. After all one needs to ask "can they act, or do choreography?". Furthermore something intended to be seen walking around in a con is a bit different than doing it in a movie. What's more there are far more cosplay disasters of the whole "WTF that looks freaky" when it comes to things like that, than there are people who look good and have their costumes splattered all over the internet. While this makes the occurance of such a movie, at least as far as casting the characters properly, at least theoretically possible, I think the odds of it being done by any studio capable of funding it make the odds very small. Especially seeing as this still looks surreal (I mean it's a costume, not something you'd expect people to walk around wearing) and you need to have the whole movie match it to the point where it somehow both fits, while still seeming like it could happen.

Not to mention the whole talking cats angle, unless they want to spend a fortune on CGI (we're making Aslan with house cats you see...) which seems unlikely for such supporting characters (yet ones that are around quite a bit and central to the concept)... I have nightmares of something like the "Sabrina: The Teenage Witch" type FX for that.

All said I'm not a Sailor Moon fan (though as a renaissance-geek I'm quite familiar with it). I just don't see it unless they are going for "so bad it's good" and if they are doing that they might as well cast Megan Fox as part of the joke.

I'll also say I've always thought it might be kind of amusing if someone did an old "10th Kingdom" or "Hook" inspired mini-series or movie with anime girls in the future when they are either adults or over the hill. You know, what happens to say Sailor Moon when she's say 55, had a few kids and unlike a few people never bounced back physically, but still needs to transform into a skimpy costume to fight ever present evil, which she is getting too tired and out of shape to compete with. Maybe bring "Devil Hunter Yohko" back at the age of her Grandmother to fight demons like in Frank Miller's "Batman Returns" after they started to take over when she was forced into retirement but now has to come out of it despite frequent need of heart medicine (wow, it's someone's grandma with a soul sword). Things like this have been done before, and with decent effect, but I've never seen it really dealt with within the teen girl anime-hero format.

Riverwolf

Dec 25, 2013
Zachary Amaranth said:
Riverwolf said:
I grew up with Power Rangers, too. ^_^
And that's only one example!
Fair enough.

...no, they didn't downplay it at all. At least not in the Japanese version. Their youth was brought up all the time.
Should be clear by now that I'm not talking the Japanese version. It was still legal to have sex with 14 year olds in Japan, so it wasn't at issue.
I haven't seen the dub since I was a teenager, so I don't remember if the downplayed it or not.

But, yes, it is clear now.

...actually, never heard of that song, but yes, the main five are 14-ish at the beginning.
How did you escape that song?
Oh, it's one of those viral songs?

It's easy, actually, to escape such things.

No radio. No television. No parties with pop music (unless it comes from DDR.) No facebook. Small circle of friends. Never go out.

It's great.

Just saying girl geeks aren't the only ones who'd be upset by the casting choice. :p
But now geek girls can experience animosity in a similar level to that of geek guys!
Ah. Okay, then.

I was still a preteen when the whole "girl power" thing was... a thing, so I don't even really know what that was. (Sounds like some kind of pop-feminism.) I always did regard Buffy, at least the first season, as kind of an American Sailor Moon.
Considering the Spice Girls kept saying it, pop sounds about right.
Okay, then.

Oct 20, 2010
Queen Michael said:
Revnak said:
I don't really see how it would be that important that she be in her early teens. I suppose the puberty metaphor is lost, but late teens is still a major transition point in life that the story can be about and it works better if the movie is going to mostly be made for nostalgic adults rather than actual teens.

Edit: note, I still consider her being in Highschool to be pretty non-negotiable.
I'd say it's precisely because it's made for nostalgic adults that it's important to keep it close to the thing they're being nostalgic about.
Fantastic point! Just like all the other live action re-dos, One questions why step one is always "change a whole bunch of stuff, for no apparent reason."

It should not be hard to make a movie about teeny super-heroes who's costumes are powered-up versions of their actual school uniforms, without sexualising them. No money shots, no skirt-flips or "anime camera angles," keep the camera Disney. The simple fact that they are wearing a school uniform should NOT override their being an underage child. If it does, you are a bad person.

On the subject of Serena's being Japanese VS Caucasian: Growing up, I always thought Moon, Jupiter and Venus were Caucasian, but I was 10 so whatever. Today i spent 15 minutes with Wikipedia and "eye colour." It is exceedingly rare, but some Asians have coloured Irises, and this is not the result of non-asian ancaestry. It is entirely possible for Sailor Moon to have blue eyes and be as Japanese as they come. So a little hair dye and away we go!

As somebody who watched the Americanized version, AND thought Sailor Moon was a Caucasian, I still always believed the show took place in Japan.

As for Mehgan Fox, perhaps she should consider Producing a project? If she really likes all these things then I propose she give thought to getting them made properly as opposed to acting in bastardized versions of them, while pretending to like the franchise.

I remember Shia Labeouf going off about the Transformers looking like they used to would only be cool for the "like 20 or so people who remember it." How's your career doin Shia?

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
momijirabbit said:
I... I could see this happen, Megan can act but she is always thrown into the roles we all seem to know her for, this could work.
What was she good in? I don't begrudge anyone personally but Michael Bay for Transformers, and I can't really remember seeing anything else she was in. I'm staying as far away as possible from TMNT so I really don't know how she is as April.

Win32error

Jul 18, 2011
Can anyone name a role that Fox played that she was GOOD in? I mean, sure she's got a movie where she's average or doesn't really ruin it, but i'm talking about genuine good acting here. I'm not actually expecting any replies.

It may be a bit too paranoid of me, but aren't the odds fairly high that she never watched any of these shows, and that it's just an indirect pitch by some producers, hoping to see some reaction to it? I'm pretty sure that happened before.

On a side note, i'd LOVE to see a Sailor Moon movie directed or produced by Michael Bay. At that point, nobody would actually take it serious, unalike TF or TMNT, where you could imagine someone like Bay making it.

Random producer: "I'm not sure yet Michael, the transformation sequences are lacking something."
Michael Bay: "MORE EXPLOSIONS!"

Might even watch it.

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
Therumancer said:
I'll also say I've always thought it might be kind of amusing if someone did an old "10th Kingdom" or "Hook" inspired mini-series or movie with anime girls in the future when they are either adults or over the hill.
It might look something like this very cute commercial that aired for reruns of the show in Hong Kong a few years ago. Aimed at nostalgic adult women who remember the cartoon from their childhood.

I remembered seeing this on the geek culture subsite of the village voice called "Topless Robot" which I would link. But people can and have been fired from their work for browsing the site just because of the dumb name, so I won't.

Uhura

This ain't no hula!
Aug 30, 2012
Win32error said:
It may be a bit too paranoid of me, but aren't the odds fairly high that she never watched any of these shows, and that it's just an indirect pitch by some producers, hoping to see some reaction to it? I'm pretty sure that happened before.
Yeah, that's a bit paranoid. There isn't really any plausible reason to assume that she hasn't watched those shows. (Producers have better ways to attain that information.)

schrodinger

Jul 19, 2013
Queen Michael said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Queen Michael said:
I'd say no thank you. We don't need more whitewashed Americanized Japanese stuff. The Ring, The Grudge, and so on... Let Asian movies be Asian.
Isn't Sailor Moon, by its nature, already Americanised?
Since it's a Japanese manga and a Japanese anime about Japanese people, I'd have to say no to that.
I don't think you can really call it about Japanese people when most of the characters are from different planets. Whatevs though, i get what you are saying...