Metal is not "Screamo"

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
amoamaremetallum said:
smithy_2045 said:
amoamaremetallum said:
smithy_2045 said:
Anything that annoys metalheads is good in my book.
Okay, that was just REALLY unnecessary.
Possibly, but people who are offended when someone says something is a genre which they disagree with deserve it.
So I am being unreasonable by being upset by people's intolerance? I'm sorry but I really have to disagree with that statement. As many people have said, people mistake other genres as well, and I can't tell rap from hip hop. But I'll never know if people don't actually tell me. I accept they don't have to go "WARHRGRHAGRHRGAHRGAHGRHAG THATS NOT IT YOU STUPID IDIOT GET IT RIGHT YOUR A DISGRACE TOHUMANITY WHARGHRGAHRGAHRGAHRAH" but then again, that's not what we're doing here either...
Apart from the OP who said "People that confuse the two genres deserve to die in a fiery abyss. Every single time i listen to any form of metal there is always an asshole who asks me..."

That does not strike me as tollerant.

OT: Who cares if someone mislabels the music you listen to? If you enjoy it then it doesn't matter. There is a lot more to my identity than my music tastes so it really doesn't bother me if someone says I listen to X when I feel its Y. I would only spend the time pointing out the differences in genre to someone who was genuinely interested and then I'm sure there would be some good natured disagreements as labels mean different things to different people.

There are bigger things in life, this is not worth getting bent out of shape over.

TheLaofKazi

Mar 20, 2010
Oh God... The opinions in this thread are going to make me explode.

I can't stand it when people bring stereotypes, ignorance and literalness to music genres, or any label or genre for that matter.

TripleEcksCore

Dec 24, 2008
Dir En Grey is pretty epic, sad about 90% of north america has no clue who they are

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2tWbYgmMwg

TheLaofKazi

Mar 20, 2010
2012 Wont Happen said:
I've not heard much of their earlier stuff. Maybe they were punk at one point.

However, I doubt that the little teeny bopper wearing a "punk princess" t-shirt calling them their "favoritee punx bannd!!!" has ever heard their earlier, more punkish, stuff either. Those are the sort of people I was referring to.
They were/ still kind of a gothicy, poppy, punky, classic rock, emo, metal kind of thing. Here:

Trying to sum up any band or song in just one genre just doesn't them justice. I'm not saying My Chemical Romance is like the epitome of originality here. I used to listen to them quite a bit and still like them, but even the most average, mundane stuff has more influences then just one genre, and a lot of genres that you may have not thought of could be applied. Because sometimes amongst the mixing pot of styles in music, there are things that other people may spot or interpret that you won't. It's pretty subjective,

mirasiel

Jul 12, 2010
I always find people who need to classify all music as a little odd.

I have 2 genres, songs I like and songs I dont like.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
zehydra said:
I hate screamcore, screamo whatever. I actually just hate anything that's done because "it's hardcore". I like some Metal (Alice in Chains, some Nirvana), and more classic Metal.

Often times I enjoy blends of metal and some other genre too, like with Porcupine Tree. They have psychedelic rock + metal in a number of their songs.
Nirvana's not metal!

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
I think it might be because to the 'uneducated' (aka people who don't give a flying fuck about Metal's apparent complexity and it's sub-genres that only Metalheads seem to know about as if it's some ancient secret) all Metal sounds like some hairy asshole just yelling stuff into a microphone while other hairy assholes randomly clang on assorted instruments in the background.

Of course I'm one of these people, so warm up the fires of the abyss...I'm going in!

EDIT: Music genres do really just in general escape me. How exactly 'Power Metal' is different than 'Epic Metal' or 'Ochestral Metal' is beyond me.

and on the subject: people who get pissed off by people mislabelling music genres. Like it fucking matters what genre someone thinks a song belongs to...yeah they really piss me off.

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
Screamo might as well be metal, I'd still probably rather be listening to something else.
Even if Screamo isn't a sub-genre of metal, is it really worth getting in such a tiz over it? Let's be honest, they can be pretty darn similar.

Kurokami

Feb 23, 2009
Gado911 said:
People that confuse the two genres deserve to die in a fiery abyss. Every single time i listen to any form of metal there is always an asshole who asks me 'Why do i listen to that screamo grabage?" Biggest pet peave of all time.
Don't bother explaining the difference, just whip out the lighter fluid and matches.

Most metal I've heard is screamo, and I can easily say neither tend to be my cup-o-joe.

Spark Ignition

Sep 29, 2010
meh lets not get into an argument about metal subgenres (for the record, though, Finnish Techno-Death-Metal wins every time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrFSupNT7rA ). Suffice to say I always thought screamo was a term for metal/bordering on emo, like BFMV.

Kurokami

Feb 23, 2009
Novskij said:
Kurokami said:
Gado911 said:
People that confuse the two genres deserve to die in a fiery abyss. Every single time i listen to any form of metal there is always an asshole who asks me 'Why do i listen to that screamo grabage?" Biggest pet peave of all time.
Don't bother explaining the difference, just whip out the lighter fluid and matches.

Most metal I've heard is screamo, and I can easily say neither tend to be my cup-o-joe.

Screamo is some punk subgenre, not related to metal.
Subgenre of metal as I understand it, if not so you'll have to educate me as to what defines metal.

Siris

Everyone's Favorite Transvestite
Jan 15, 2009
Consider this: not all metal is screamo, but all screamo is metal