Movie Defense Force: Alien 3

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
Alien 3 IS my favorite right after the first movie :) I just enjoyed the grimy characters in desperation and the whole extremely unforgiving prison the movie takes place in, made me wonder about the UNIVERSE it all happens, what would happen to inmates in such a condition, how they came closer to living as a sole community once there was no easy way to "get out". Ok, maybe I love this movie for all the wrong reasons, but still...
Plus, I remember when it was first released (I was a young kind, but I had seen both Alien movies already), there was all this criticism not toward the movie, but at Sigourney Weaver because she had "shaved her hair for for real for the movie", as if that was a capital crime lol.

Reptiloid

Nov 10, 2010
Thank Jim for more Jim!

While it's not my personal favorite of the series, I've never been one to bash Alien 3, and quite frankly never got why so many seemed to hate it.

You presented some solid arguments, and this series is looking quite promising. Looking forward to the next episode... I absolutely hated every aspect of Freddy Vs Jason, so it shall be interesting to see what you have to say about that one.

One thing I strongly disagreed with though, Newt wasn't remotely annoying. Don't diss the Newt! :mad:

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
I love the Alien films. All of them. I've posted about my love for this series a multitude of times on the Escapist. Hell, I just bought a second copy of the "Alien Anthology" box set on Blu-Ray so that I could get the spiffy Japanese collector's edition bonuses.

I don't think I'd call Alien 3 the best of the five (including Prometheus). It's still a good movie, but I don't think it's the best. It's a movie that had a ton of really, really good ideas for the franchise... it just didn't execute them quite as well as it could have (possibly due to the studio interference and constant re-writes - fun fact, Pitch Black was originally an Alien 3 script). I would say it's on-par with Alien and Aliens, but certainly not better. It excels where Alien and Aliens didn't, but it falters in pretty much every place where Alien and Aliens excelled.

Also, I think the argument that Alien 3 is the best because of how frequently its aesthetic is reused is kinda weak, seeing as how the aesthetic (and even overall stories) from Alien and Aliens are also constantly reused in both film and gaming. Adding in that particular bullet point kinda made it feel like you were grasping for anything to back your point.

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
Well spoken as always, Jim.

While I don't personalyl feel that Alien 3 is the best of the series, or even second best, I still have to marvel at people who singlemindedly hate it.

Alien Resurrection on the other hand...

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
IronMit said:
sideshow said:
StBishop said:
It's a shame that some of the points in this had been covered in the past on Podtoid.
show of hands, who here on the escapist knows of Podtoid?

(if not, fix that!)
googling podtoid to figure out what it is.... in 3 ...2 .... 1

They gave hitman absolution 8.5 ........... our tastes don't align.
1) Podtoid is Destructoid's podcast. They do not do reviews on it.

2) When your tastes don't align, that's not enough to write off an entire site. That just makes you petty.

3) dicks

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Good show. More please.

I really liked Alien 3 when I first saw it at the movies. I don't know where I would rate it compared to the others because they are all so different and all have something to offer, but I know that I didn't have this great dislike of the film like others seem to have.
I must say though that up to now I think it's the Alien I've re-watched the least out of all of them.

btw. I highly recommend people watch the "making-of" of all the Alien movies if you haven't. Really interesting.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
covered some good points but i still dislike this movie. to me its just boring and a cash grab and i still dint care about the characters.
i only got my self alien, aliens and resurrection. i skipped part 3 from this franchise and i really dont miss it at all. the best alien movie, is still part 2. thats unbeatable from all 4 of them.

btw. the intro is too long.

kburns10

You Gots to Chill
Sep 10, 2012
I like this show and I'm actually EXCITED to disagree with him. All my friends have ragged on Alien 3 to the point I refused to watch it. This makes me want to see it now. Plus, some of his points might just change my mind on certain movies.

gsf1200

Oct 22, 2008
Alien 3 is the absolute, worst movie ever made. I hate it, and I don't care who likes it. It started terrible, and just got worse. I didn't find newt annoying at all. Bill Paxton was annoying, but he was supposed to be. Aliens is one of the best movies ever made. Alien 3 reminds me of The Road, another movie that is just dull and hopeless. The good guys are supposed to win in the end. When the good guy dies for no reason, there is no point to the movie for me.

roushutsu

Mar 14, 2012
I like where this show is going. It's been years since I've seen Alien 3, but I didn't remember it being a bad movie at all. It was pretty good and it ended Ripley's story effectively, at least until Resurrection came along and decided "NOPE!"

So judging from the intro, I guess Freddy vs. Jason and Hellraiser 3 are next? That should be interesting.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
I know it's not, but the opening wasn't supposed to be a bit of a joke towards Moviebob was it?

Anyways, good video and interesting series. I haven't seen the Alien series (not a fan or horror), but it was still interesting to watch you defend it. Might be worth warning people these will likely have spoilers. Even if I doubt anyone would care.

Are you going to be doing any really bad movies though? Like Birdemic, The Room, or the Twilight series?

SAMAS

Aug 27, 2009
I think this was a pretty well thought-out argument, except for one thing:

Jim's assertion that the Xenomorphs always win.

Simply put, they don't. They may kill a lot of people, but in the end, the Xenomorph threat is always wiped out by the end of the film. The first one got spaced, the Queen got a Power Loader shoved down both throats and then spaced. The Runner was killed then Ripley killed herself to kill the last chestburster. The Hybrid got spaced (again!). The ones in the AVP movies get nuked. The Xenos in the Capcom Beat-Em-Up got a battleship dropped on their heads. The outside possibility that one of them may have survived (the best outcome they ever get in the movies and most games) can only be considered a win if you look at in the Orkish sense ("we kin always come back fer anuvver go!").

Chris Pranger

Aug 31, 2011
I'm really pleased with this. I finally have something decent to watch on Thursdays on The Escapist, and it's about time.

I really love the deep analysis at work here. Very well-done and perfectly paced. As someone who hasn't actually seen the movie in question, it was still a fascinating watch. Naturally, the show's premise makes me very excited for future weeks and to discover what new movie will be explored, and perhaps what I'll learn as a result.

The comments I've seen about the background music being slightly high are ones I share as well, and thankfully that's a really easy fix: Turn the background music up to max.

Excellent work Jim! Can't wait to see what next week will bring!

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
At the risk of saying something somebody else already said in this thread?
My defense for Alien 3 is... that it's not Alien 4.
Alien 3 is the proper ending to the story. It may not be perfect, but it's alright, especially in comparison. Ripley's dead and took the queen embryo with her.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I like this new series, especially because it's Jimgod himself.

I never thought of Alien 3 as a "bad movie" perse, but it's definitely not my favorite one of the bunch, but I still appreciated it for being more emotional and kinda returning the series to it's roots, with defenseless humans in an "alien" futuristic complex, trapped inside with an "alien" organism that tries to rip their faces off.

In fact, I never thought of Newt's death as an unnecessary ploy for the movie, even when I was a child when I watched it for the first time, I completely understood that Newt dying wasn't unnecessary considering the circumstances (and the excuse that the Alien spider/hand kept Ripley alive, wich is kinda plausible if you think about it).

In the end though, it could definitely be worse... it's not Alien Resurrection...

Great start, definitely looking forward to see more of this.

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
I thought that was good; I was worried that just because it's Jim we were going to get the same character as the Jimquisition but instead we got Jim's smarts without all of the pretentiousness which I think is good for this show. Interesting and intelligently put together, the only thing I didn't like was the theme song which sounds absolutely awful.

mrhateful

True Gamer
Apr 8, 2010
While I actually agreed with most of the things you said, two things still makes this movie worse for me. 3D graphics that makes you wanna vomit and because of that horror done so badly that its not horror anymore. Also I dislike a prison like environment because I prefer aliens beating top of the line soldiers and facilities than some defenseless prisoners but that's more a personal preference. So for all these reasons Aliens is still the best for me ;) Followed by alien 4 which is a dumb movie but at-least it has what I look for in an alien movie.