On Gaymers and Cons

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Wouldn't the best thing be for everyone to go to one convention for everyone? It would be a place for people, not gays or straights. Are you a person? Come on in. Not a person? How the hell are you reading this?

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
lacktheknack said:
I find the demand for a GaymerCon to be a bit worrying, actually.

If it's all about "feeling like you fit in", what do straight people have to do to make gay people feel like they fit in with everyday life? Clearly, we're doing a bad job.
OniaPL said:
I've just stated that I find such a con and people's need for one ridiculous.
Well think about it this way. Have you ever wanted a "guys night down" at the pub? Alternatively ever wanted a "Girls night out"? Not exclusively of course, not the ONLY event you attend, but as a one off in a life where you spend 99% of the time attending events for everyone. It doesnt make you sexist to gather your male friends and go watch a game of rugby down at the pub and have a chat, nor is it sexist to gather or your female friends and go have a drink down at the pub to discuss your lives and maybe also watch some rugby alternatively you could go buy some kickass suits together as a group of guys and feel suave and awesome and go buy a load of awesome dresses as a group of women and feel suave and kickass.

It might be the EXACT same activity but the fact is we sometimes take a little bit of happiness from just being around people similar to us, even if its in a really shallow way. Ive had a guys night out. My girlfriend has had some girls nights out. It doesnt make us unable to interact in a mixed sex society. It doesnt make us sexist. It doesnt mean we such at making eachother feel equal and welcome. Its just a little bit of shallow comfort in something relatively unimportant. And as long as we dont become hermits living inside our own tiny circles of "same" having a tiny bit of "Same" time doesnt hurt nor is it indicative that anyone is making anyone else feel unwelcome.

A bunch of guys going to down to a pub together to enjoy a rugby game is the same to me as a bunch of gaymers who enjoy games going down to a gaymer con to enjoy some games. Its just a little nice ya know? if youve ever enjoyed an event like i described thats the same feeling these people want.

I think about this in the same way. And i understand totally why people seek it out. As long as no one is FORBIDDEN entry based on sexuality i dont see an issue. Some places are built to be male dominated environments so we can get a little "same" time. Some are built to be womens places or womens nights out like Hen and Stag doos. It doesnt hurt as long as it doesnt totally absorb us nor does it exclude anyone out of your life.

EDIT: Its also not segregation because its not long term or an inbuilt part of any system. Its a single event. Geared to make some people who (for whatever reason rightly or wrongly) want to feel welcome and accepted among people who share something with them that they might find scary or lonely or weird. And thats nice. It isnt "Segregation" to have a dudes sleepover. Thats ridiculous. As long as you still learn to interact with a mixed society and live your life in one having a few events in one or two places made for people the same as you isnt a bad thing.

AniThari

Jun 26, 2010
Maybe they want a convention to prove they aren't as niche a market as say, everyone who went to the Escapist Expo?

*wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge*

But yeah, this isn't a subdivide. Conventions call attention to groups which gives them more power, and greater voice because companies can make money, and when companies make money everyone becomes a dollar sign to them, and when everyone becomes a dollar sign "TAH DAH" equality everywhere! Capitalism HO!

But seriously if someone doesn't want to play in your tree house anymore, big whoop if they build their own since it?s not like they're going to steal the wood planks from out under you. Oh no, someone doesn't want to put aside a factor of their life and just 'fit in' with a large group of people for 14+ hours a day for [what should be] a fun filled [and comfortable] week, for shame.

Honestly, have none of you ever been the wallflower of a party? Have you never just wanted to be comfortable? Isn't that why you're on this website instead of trolling on your nearest forum about the "console wars?" This is the equivalent of someone telling me I don't have to factor in that I'm female on the outside because I'm 'on of the guys' on the inside (this comment brought to you by dude who will never be in the friend circle). Just because the guys I'm talking with consider me on that level doesn't mean I forget to the outside world I am a 4'10" woman who looks like the term kidnapped would be used instead of the word abducted, if such an event was to occur.

I believe the original purpose of conventions wasn't for fans anyway. They were for industry professionals to meet up and discuss the current climate. I think it would be nice if major companies took notice of one of the "niche" markets so they can make characters that can't be defined by "that one gay guy/lesbian chick in __________". Or maybe we'll finally get an all-male race of eye candy just like the ASARI! Although knowing Bioware they would all have tragic and horrible backstories where they blow up a space station or something near the end of the game.

(( Post filled with sarcasm and a little fan-hate: none of which to be taken seriously, unless that's your thing. If so, why do all Warcraft women eventually go crazy and start killing everyone if they're in power? That seems like some rather unfortunate implications on Blizzard's part; i.e., women in power will go megalomaniacal and wreck everything.

To be honest I just want to see how many make it to the end of this post since I always feel about half of the comments aimed at these comics are always because someone couldn't be bothered to read the notes all the through to the end.
^_^ HIGH FIVES FOR EVERYONE! ))

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Xan Krieger said:
Wouldn't the best thing be for everyone to go to one convention for everyone? It would be a place for people, not gays or straights. Are you a person? Come on in. Not a person? How the hell are you reading this?
Absolutely, that would be wonderful. That is, in fact, the ideal. It is not, however, what actually happens. So then the question becomes, so you want to deal with the goal or the practical reality? Both answers have merit, but you can understand why not everyone would necessarily want to "fight the power," per se, but would rather just enjoy themselves.

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
squid5580 said:
But if someone were to make a "straight white male con" there would be hell to pay.
When the majority (in the EU/US) are that thing that is most of the cons, they don't have to name it like that. It's a given. Which is kind of the problem.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
"being able to "fit in" (hoho) pretty much anywhere is one of the numerous luxuries that come with being straight"

not really. I identified as straight for a very long time and didn't fit in anywhere. Please don't generalize about the supposed "benefits" majorities have.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Hoplon said:
squid5580 said:
But if someone were to make a "straight white male con" there would be hell to pay.
When the majority (in the EU/US) are that thing that is most of the cons, they don't have to name it like that. It's a given. Which is kind of the problem.
It's not a given, regular cons aren't "NO GAYS" cons.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
squid5580 said:
Would it be exclusive? GaymerX isn't.

People are so quick to try and be clever about this, but the fact is the default con really is a straight white male con. The only real difference would be if they actually said "no gays, minorities, or women." And that's not really equivalent to GaymerX or similar, because they. Don't. Do. That.

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
zehydra said:
Hoplon said:
squid5580 said:
No, but they also aren't hives of tolerance and inclusiveness either.

Peithelo

Mar 28, 2011
Differentiating people of different sexualities in such a way that would even indirectly encourage them to remain seperated from one another merely increases the disconnect between every side of this societal issue. Doing so would further indicate that there is in fact a relevant societal disconnect betweem people of different sexualities, but it would do absolutely nothing to remedy the situtation directly, I think. There is of course a chance it could raise awareness of such issues, but I feel that such issues should be discussed more openly.

The term "Gaymer" itself is outright absurd. It seems to suggest that being homosexual and enjoying video games are the defining aspects of your characters. They most definitely are not and letting other people think they are is counterproductive. What people actually need to do is to stop thinking of things like sexuality and gender as the singular defining factors of one's character. There absolutely should be no need to specifically distinquish between things like sexuality when the subject has nothing to do with them.

While no one is excluded an unnecessary distinction (in relation to a particular public event) between people is still being made and the segregation of these people is indirectly encouraged or at least implied. It is quite worrying that such measures are even concidered necessary to guarantee relative comfort in public events. Personally I would rather attempt to endure all of the uncomfortable looks and even harassment if it gave me the opportunity to spread awareness instead of avoiding all opposition altogether.

Making everyone feel comfortable is naturally what we should strive to achieve, but I simply do not believe that the creation of a limited and seperated enviroment for any specific people in the minority is the right way to approach this problem in the long-term.

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
zehydra said:
You do realise straight people are allowed to go to Gaymer cons right? Its just the issues discussed and atmosphere are made to make people feel comfortable at home if they are seeking a little time to feel like part of a majority. Sure its shallow but we all do that sometimes and it isnt discriminatory if its just a one off event and no one is FORBIDDEN from attending. And it makes people happy obviously since people go. I cant begrudge them that.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Xan Krieger said:
Absolutely, that would be wonderful. That is, in fact, the ideal. It is not, however, what actually happens. So then the question becomes, so you want to deal with the goal or the practical reality? Both answers have merit, but you can understand why not everyone would necessarily want to "fight the power," per se, but would rather just enjoy themselves.
I got quoted by Susan Arendt? Best January EVER.
Also I've never been to a gaming convention so my opinion on the subject is kinda worthless.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
BiscuitTrouser said:
zehydra said:
You do realise straight people are allowed to go to Gaymer cons right? Its just the issues discussed and atmosphere are made to make people feel comfortable at home if they are seeking a little time to feel like part of a majority. Sure its shallow but we all do that sometimes and it isnt discriminatory if its just a one off event and no one is FORBIDDEN from attending. And it makes people happy obviously since people go. I cant begrudge them that.
I'm not sure it's shallow. Comfort and safety are pretty big deals to humanity.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Peithelo said:
Differentiating people of different sexualities in such a way that would even indirectly encourage them to remain seperated from one another merely increases the disconnect between every side of this societal issue.
True. If we keep this up, homosexuals might feel unwelcome and unwanted. Good thing that doesn't happen when gays try to fit in with the majority.

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
I'm not sure it's shallow. Comfort and safety are pretty big deals to humanity.
To be honest im not sure either. It feels like a bit of a shallow thing since being Gay isnt a character defining quality, nor for that matter is being male or most other things. But that doesnt label it as bad. Or something no one should do. Its just something some people want/need from time to time and thats perfectly ok. In a perfect society we would feel comfortable just sharing humanity with eachother but lets admit it, we are less than perfect and desire a little same time. Thats perfectly alright. We should accept people are less than perfect Utopian totally accepting loving individuals and be ok with that. Sure we can try and we should try to make society nice and welcoming. But going aside once in a while aint a bad thing to enjoy a little bit of arbitrary sameness. The act itself is shallow perhaps, but the effect like you described is real and important which is why it cant hurt to let people have that even if they way they do it might not be the most rational thing in the entire world. It doesnt hurt anyone at least. Is anyone REALLY hurt by not feeling welcome at Gaymer con? We are allowed to go. Does a single living soul feel real pain by not having Gaymer con geared to them? Gaymer con helps people feel happy in themselves. And until someone shows me it REALLY REALLY hurts people by excluding them im not going to assign it any harm.

Dr. Doomsduck

Nov 24, 2011
rhizhim said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Zhukov said:
It took me at least three looks to notice that the guy in the last panel isn't wearing any pants.
And the lady in the red sweater has some pipe between her legs as well.
--------------------------------------------
well, maybe they want to do what others do in gaming conventions.
get to know people and probably hook up with someone.

only this time they wont feel too arkward to ask a straight person since this convention means they are (most likely) all gay.

or they want to smack talk on how much of a stud nathan drake is.

[sub][sub] dont google nathan drake without safe search on. oh god why does fan fiction and rule 34 exist?[/sub][/sub]
without too much rolleyes.

or they just want to raise attention on how gay people do.... things just like straight people do. hard to believe, eh?

i have mixed feeling about this since it kind of has a sexual apartheid vibe to it, that will just cause more outcry how outcast some people feel in society.
Nathan Drake can get it, he IS a stud.

I think that not allowing these people to have their own Con reeks of more apartheid than the Con itself would. It's probably not even about being able to hook up, just about playing by their rules for a change. Like, we might not see some of the (hopefully unconsious)discrimination that happens on a regular con, but they do and by setting up their own convention they can prevent that from happening. I guess?

Basically, I don't see what all the fuss is about, it's not like they'll check your sexual orientation at the door. Everyone is free to organise their own party, if some gay people feel the need to do this, let them.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
squid5580 said:
Would it be exclusive? GaymerX isn't.

People are so quick to try and be clever about this, but the fact is the default con really is a straight white male con. The only real difference would be if they actually said "no gays, minorities, or women." And that's not really equivalent to GaymerX or similar, because they. Don't. Do. That.
They wouldn't need a doorman turning people away. The name says it all. Only this type of person is welcome here. The rest aren't! Maybe I am naive but to me gaming is for everyone regardless of sex, race or sexual orientation because of none of that matters. And to me making a con for a single sex or sexual orientation instead of being all inclusive is the opposite of the spirit of gaming.

But hey I also don't think "fake gamer girls" or "casual" gamers are the work of the devil so what do I know?

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
wintercoat said:
Grey Carter said:
Arakasi said:
I'm going to have to call you a dick, Grey, specifically for calling genuinely curious people bigoted dicks.
Seriously, what?
Upon hearing this I did myself wonder why there would be an event specifically for homosexuals, when I don't see games having much to do with sexual identity for the most part.
You make a valid point about the 'fitting in' thing, but you don't have to be a dick about it.
1: Personal insults on the forum will get you warned and/or banned.

2: You might want to reread what I wrote. There's two kinds people here; Those who are asking genuine questions, and those are asking in bad-faith. The comic is aimed at the latter group.
1: And you insulted him and several other forumites, including myself, with your post. Where's your warning? How does it feel to not only have no repercussions for insulting your user base on a site that treats insults as heinous crimes, but to actually get paid to do it?

2: I don't judge people based on their sexual preference. To me, people are people, not gay people, black people, white people, man people, woman people, etc. I find "Gaymer-con" to be a ridiculous idea that only serves to further alienate gay gamers by cordoning them off from the rest of the community and calling attention to the fact that they're different. Apparently this makes me a dick because my opinion doesn't match up with yours.
You might also want to re-read.

The post was (clearly) aimed at a small, but annoying, group of people who hide behind feigned ignorance rather than state their opinions outright. You just claimed you don't belong to that group. Thus, I didn't call you a dick.

As for your first question. The comic and the accompanying blurb are not part of the forums and are not subject to the same rules. How does that feel? Fucking great.

Darken12

Apr 16, 2011
My take on the matter, as an LGBT person, is this:

"You don't see the need for something like this? Well, I don't see the need for you to open your mouth and spew whatever crosses your brain on a subject that is absolutely irrelevant to you. But you did, so them's the breaks."

Let me put it like this: being part of the LGBT minority is no pleasure cruise. You experience everything from actual violence to verbal violence to workplace discrimination to unfair laws to casual homophobia/biphobia/transphobia to snide remarks to ignorant bullshit to really subtle things that dishearten you and kill a little of your spirit every day. And not because life is hard, no, all this is extra because we're LGBT. We get the exact same crap everyone else gets from life, and then an extra sidedish of more crap because we're just that special.

So we want to set up a whatever (doesn't matter what it is) and the general response is "Why are you doing this? I don't understand and frankly, I don't want to understand. I just want you to go back to being invisible."

If you're genuinely curious about what LBGT people have to face every day, educate yourself, ask away, whatever. But don't try to play the victim with your 'genuine curiosity' when the implicit message is "I don't like what I'm seeing". Because we can tell. We can always tell.