Over-hyped video games

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
Mechanix said:
Double A said:
Empire: Total War. Biggest disappointment I've ever had, gaming-wise.
This, times 10000000000.
I'll be honest.

E:TW is the biggest, over-hyped piece-of-shit game I've ever played, and I've played Halo Wars.

Whoever's arsechild ETW is should be flogged and given to the Iranians as nuclear coolant.

I still can't believe my first impressions: "Oh cool Indians!" I say as I start up the US campaign. "Jamestown's one of my favorite historical places!" Then I proceed to lag through it. "Screw this I'd better turn the graphics down to low!" "Hmm every single person looks like dogshit... medium?" Well believe it or not medium worked, and until the part after Bunker Hill I was happy due to the new game smell, even though I had it since it came out I had just been able to download Steam due to my gaming PC having no Internet connection. Anyway, I had build up a sizeable navy, and had even captured a 4th rate and another 5th rate! So then I send my lovely navy of 10 ships at the british navy off Maryland's coast, which consisted of a Third Rate which scared the bejezus outta me, 2 6ers, and the other 8 were damaged brigs. The first time I sink most of the brigs, lose several of mine, and capture all the rest. Then my computer not only crashes, but entirely restarts. It was 1 step away from the Blue Screen of Death. Then an hour later after I recover from my anger and convulsions, I try it again. I get even better results, sinking only 2 brigs and losing 1 of mine! Then the unbelieveable happens: my PC crashes again. Finally, after my multiple strokes, I try the battle a final time. Unbelievable! I don't lose a single ship and capture all of theirs. BUT THEN MY COMPUTER RESTARTS AGAIN! FUCK THIS CAMPAIGN I SAY!

A week later I start up a Marathras campaign, and the new game fun comes back. Eventually I think "maybe my computer was just acting weird that day..." and try the naval battle again. Lose a ship or 2, sink some of theirs, but nonetheless a good performance. Then, when the loading screen is seconds from... loading... it crashed again!!!

Another day or so later, I pick up my Marathras campaign. Then IT starts to crash. "You know what, CA? Fuck your half-assed game and fuck your new attitude to your fanbase. If anyone needs me I'll be playing Rome."

Oilerfan92

Mar 5, 2010
Halo 3, MW2, Left 4 Dead. Pretty much any game that people act like its amazing but isnt.

Halo 3, while fun, just doesnt seem different to me. What was so special about the franchise to begin with ?

Modern Warfare 2. MW 1 was pretty damn fun, then i picked this up and wow. SP that was acceptable, but the MP quickly began something i forced myself to play, for obvious reasons.

L4D. Whats the point of all this ? Why is this happening ? Who are we ? Why isnt there any story whatsoever ? Seriously though. Im hugely story driven, it keeps me going and gives me a reason. If i reach a part of the game that pisses me off, i think about why im doing this. Then i stick to it and beat it and feel good. This just felt like i was running around shooting stuff.

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
This thread seems flamebaity. I'm gonna say Bad Company 2. It's allright and I enjoy it, but the way everybody was talking about it I was suspecting a game that would Blow MW2 out of the water. But I have been playing MW2 so much more, and I have barely even touched the single player for it.

KidOblivion

Mar 24, 2010
Dante's Inferno, seriously all that hype for a God of War rip off that involves a man who goes to hell. While Kratos was sent to hell, whooped ass, climbed out of hell, got killed by Zeus and sent to hell then climbed out again.

wheeman

Sep 15, 2009
Peggle, I heard so many good things about it so I decided to download it.... Needless to say, I thought it sucked really bad.

Rancid0ffspring

Aug 23, 2009
I'm going to say all those games that you all really enjoy. You know the ones.

These kind of threads are just flamebait because ultimately you'll get 2 or more people with completely opposing opinions. I've already seen a death threat over a comment on Halo 3.

Fuck me I really liked Halo 3 but I still think it was overhyped.

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
rt052192 said:
for me it was Halo:ODST. I'm not even a Halo junkie, more or less a CoD junkie, but i was genuinely excited for ODST. The game is still very fun, but it appeared to be more of an expansion and it just didn't live up to my expectations. I was expecting a much better campaign and i was told that MC wouldn't be in the game, but lets be honest: he was just wearing an ODST set of armor. Has anyone else been let down like this before?
Mass Effect II. I loved the first game, I bought the collector's edition, got all excited for it, someone (who'll remain nameless) on this forum completely ruined the ending of the game for me, but regardless, I was really disappointed in ME2 as a whole.

Anticitizen_Two

Jan 18, 2010
Obviously, any game in the Halo/Call of Duty series
Left 4 Dead 2 (first one was soooooooooo much better)
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (that one was my fault; I went in expecting a game that could compete with Ocarina of Time and ended up with a really good game that just couldn't compete with OoT.)

Ryuzaki001

Nov 10, 2009
Final Fantasy 7...I am sorry, but as a die hard Final Fantasy fan and hearing that it was the best one of all time I was severely disappointed. Don't get me wrong, I loved the game, but it was not the best one of all time. (That award goes to 9)

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
Ryuzaki001 said:
Final Fantasy 7...I am sorry, but as a die hard Final Fantasy fan and hearing that it was the best one of all time I was severely disappointed. Don't get me wrong, I loved the game, but it was not the best one of all time. (That award goes to 9)
pretty much read what I said to Onyx about Ocarina of time.. don't feel like reiterating myself.

out of curiosity, when did you start playing final fantasy games?

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
I still somewhat question the point of threads like this....

Still I shall play ball, for me personally it had to be Half Life 2.
See as a Halo fan I get a lot of flack for playing a 'bland and uninspired mess' and was pretty much told by everyone I bumped into that Half Life 2 was 'the good stuff' and I had also heard some interesting things in reviews so I was genuinely intrigued to give it a go.
However, I was let down a little bit, partly it was the fact that I kept getting lost, partly it was because the action was kinda subpar compared to other action games and partly because I kept on getting stuck in places.
I had been expecting a fast flung and well plotted shooter and what I got was a puzzle game with shooting elements and a story that was certainly interesting and characters that were certainly engaging (I do not HATE this game and I can certainly see why it would appeal) and there were some genuinely good bits but in the end I just wasn't having enough fun with it as a whole to really be wowed by it.
So I by no means think it's bad, I can see where the praise comes from, it just wasn't for me largely because the way people hyped it up I as expecting something godlike and I ended up with something else, had I been expecting the game as it actually was I wouldn't have been bothered by it but I was told to expect the most exciting shooter action ever and that simply wasn't there for me, and honestly I had more fun with Halo