Overlord 2

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
HobbesMkii said:
I think you have to examine this game in context. One of the frustrating thing about the original Overlord was that your minions collected armor and weapons and became much more stronger over time, but then ultimately were killed off by the nearest boss. I always wanted to be able to resurrect my minions, not because I cared about them (although, to be frank, I did care that my most armored minion died), but because it was better to have stronger minions, and I lost all those stronger minions eat the end of every level, leaving me weaker for it.
I don't Yahtzee has played the original (he'd know you could choose a mistress that had benefits for gameplay in the first) and so can't look at it in context.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Largely, Overlord 2 expects people to care about all those things because those were the things people who played the first game said they cared about and wanted in the sequel.

Kstreitenfeld

Mar 27, 2009
Goldbling said:
Kstreitenfeld said:
bodyklok said:
Extra punctuation? Sorry Yahtzee, I like you and all. But, I'm not really the reading type. Maybe if you put it all in a short video with animations and dick jokes I'd look at it, but for now...
You don't have to read it, he already makes videos, why does this need to be video based also?
Well I think most people are used to his video reviews and think they are funnier in video form. Plus this is just to elaborate on his videos, I think he should just make his videos longer.
Not everything needs to be made in videos for ADHD kids

Rickyvantof

May 6, 2009
I had some moments in certain games where I really got attached to NPC's because they were an important element in gameplay. Even if the NPC is just an extra (I'm thinking Fallout 3 followers) I always hit that quickload button once they die. Yeah, forcing the player to like an NPC, when that really doesn't have any benefit or add gaming experience, is pretty stupid.

BardSeed

Aug 4, 2008
I do hope we can expect more articles from Yahtzee. I found this more entertaining than the recent ZP's, although that may be because there are no good games out at the moment.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
INCIDENTALLY (#2):

Don't expect a full review but Guitar Hero: Greatest Hits has been helping me relive some fond memories of late. Something bothers me, though. Am I just being sexually repressed again, or could "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" by Pat Benatar secretly be a dirty song about cumshots?
Yes, that is what the song is about. You may still be repressed; let me know how you unpack the band name "Pearl Jam", and we can work out what number of visits per week is optimal for me to milk your wallet.

MattKirby

Aug 6, 2008
Stabby Joe said:
MattKirby said:
Absoloute genius, proving many points and maintaining your throne lol
Throne of game review satire but you can't prove an opinion.
Obviously, but then again, I can still state that I believe he is the best and prove that he is the best in my mind, despite it being an opinion it is fact in my mind.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
That was interesting and fun to read, guess this was just something he felt needed to be said. Would love to see more, but I guess this was just a single vent on an issue he had some repressed hate for.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
MattKirby said:
Stabby Joe said:
MattKirby said:
Obviously, but then again, I can still state that I believe he is the best and prove that he is the best in my mind, despite it being an opinion it is fact in my mind.
Oh fair enough if its your opinion but its not right to claim and opinion as fact in general.

Smokescreen

Dec 6, 2007
The essay makes some good points about gameplay mechanics.

I'm currently playing Prototype and one of the central mechanics is devouring people. It's gruesome and nasty and why the fuck would I want to do that?

Because the game rewards you for doing so. Both in terms of story (which gets fleshed out depending on who you devour) and in terms of ability (you get cool bonuses for devouring certain people) and to replenish health.

I feel bad for the people I end up devouring-they're not strictly evil-but they ARE in my goddamn way, and in games what do you do to things or people who are in your way?

The story they give me is just enough for me to feel a bit of remorse about them, and that's the sign of a well executed mechanic, I think. YMMV.

So yeah; give us a reason to do things, and people will find reasons to do them--or fuck with things and that's OK too. But reasons matter.

The Atheist Knight

Jul 14, 2009
Virgil said:
NoMoreSanity said:
Is this a new feature here?
It's a new weekly feature. Every Friday.
That gives me another reason to look foward to the weekends.

(From the article)
"So a romance sidequest works when there is some benefit to gameplay. That's the carrot. You can marry characters in most of the Harvest Moon games, and your spouse provides you with items or assists you with the farming."

This is the best reason I can think of for caring about NPC allys/friends in a game. Coincidentally I might check out a harvest moon game.

Clashero

Aug 15, 2008
You forgot one thing. The minions are some of the cutest craetures ever designed. Whenever me or my sister asks the other for something, we always end up replying "For me? For youuuuuuu!"

TankCopter

Jul 8, 2009
I only got engaged in Fable 2 because the Oakfield demon door wanted me to propose in front of it. ThenI led the lady to the Temple Of Shadows and got some evil points for her.

MattKirby

Aug 6, 2008
Stabby Joe said:
MattKirby said:
Stabby Joe said:
MattKirby said:
Oh fair enough if its your opinion but its not right to claim and opinion as fact in general.
Would you want me to put (In my opinion( on the end of that or just keep this in mind for future reference.

Fortesque

Jan 16, 2009
Like people said, we dont care about the minions we care about the gear.

I dont give a fuck when my blues, greens or red die. But when a Brown that I have had for ages and has full armor and a great weapon dies, i care about that.

For example, in Overlord 1, when you kill that fat halfling hero at the start. He drops a crown and a poker weapon. When my minion with the crown dies, i get a bit pissed off. I would gladly pay to get him back.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Not that you ever read this, but good stuff Yahtzee. Requalifying part of your Ghostbusters review went a good way to me rethinking that video. And Pat Benatar could totally mean exactly that.

Stuartjd

Apr 18, 2009
Fortesque said:
Like people said, we dont care about the minions we care about the gear.

I dont give a fuck when my blues, greens or red die. But when a Brown that I have had for ages and has full armor and a great weapon dies, i care about that.

For example, in Overlord 1, when you kill that fat halfling hero at the start. He drops a crown and a poker weapon. When my minion with the crown dies, i get a bit pissed off. I would gladly pay to get him back.
Exactly, in the first Overlord it always annoyed me that when I lost minions with good gear, I would have to replace them with weaker minions, I think that having the oportunity to revive these upgraded minions is a welcome addition.

Emphraim

Mar 27, 2009
Tuniki said:
wait wait wait, you could marry people in Fable?!

but thanks for reminding me I need to go play the Sexy Beach series again.
3D hentai? Blasphemy!

I liked this new feature as this was actually an insightful view that would not translate well to a funny video. This is a problem quite a few games have. Why should I give a damn if someone supposedly important to the main character dies if I don't care about the main character.