Plot twists and big reveals you solved by yourself

irani_che

Jan 28, 2010
Baldur Moon said:
The Cabin in the Woods most recently
The college kids were being sacrificed to some sort of ancient evil in order to stop something very bad from happening; they practically give it away in the opening credits and first 15 minuets of the film
Kind of left me disappointing cause all my friends were calling "Best twist eva!" Hardly I say... Good movie though
that isnt a twist, you know its going on from the get-go

the twist really is

all the horrors in the underground storage boxes and the show of the "sacrifices" it was just a reveal for the two left, but the audience were floored when they realise every horror movie you have every watched has had the same basic 5 characters plus a few extra ones for dying suddenly. I have split up loads of horror movie victim gangs into this trope, including scooby doo

Jakub324

Jan 23, 2011
ksn0va said:
Jakub324 said:
I figured out that the Marked One and Strelok were the same person. Can't remember how, though.
Doc calls you 'Strelok' early on.
I took the other questline (wish granter one), so I didn't even know Doc existed until my second playthrough.

mynameisphil

Nov 1, 2010
CrazyGirl17 said:
The first time The Princess Bride:

That Wesley was the Man in Black. It's kinda obvious.

Doesn't keep me from liking the movie, though.
I don't think that was supposed to be much of a secret. They made it incredibly obvious. The only person who didn't know was Princess Buttercup.

Dr.A

Jun 3, 2010
Spoilers for Isaac Asimov's Robots of Dawn.

For those who haven't ever read it, there is a highly advanced robot who became locked in an infinite loop and became completely useless because of it. There was one other robot like it, both of which were made by this one scientist guy and extremely valuable.

Sorry, read it two years ago and I'm too lazy to look up the names.

Anyway, they were trying to find out who could have possibly done this to the robot, since it required a paradox so huge the advanced robot couldn't work through it. The scientist claimed he was the only one who was capable of doing it, but swore it wasn't him.

The book is all about the detective interviewing suspects, trying to figure out whodunnit. Halfway through reading the book an idea popped into my head that seemed to be the only explanation. If it wasn't the scientist, the other other person, or..."person" it could have been was the other robot, which turned out to be right.

Yaaaay.

Usually though, with books and movies, I suck at figuring out what's really going on, when everyone else thought it was obvious.

samahain

Sep 23, 2010
Quote: Fight Club...
Another twist was Fight Club. I knew the film had a twist ending and had been told that "reality was off kilter", so I did have a slight advantage in figuring it out.
I saw Brad Pitt walk on screen and I said "Please tell me he is real and not a figment of the main character's imagination". I thought I might be spared that old twist right up until the main characters girlfriend said something to the effect of "You're insane! *WINK* *WINK*

That and the "SuBliMiNaL iMagEs" that last for several frames (!) in about three spots into the first half hour...

I'm not burning you, but it took me very little time to come up with the spoiler the fist time. T H E N; I thought that was too cliché. o_0
And dismissed it altogether. And felt stupid towards the end of the movie. XD

Swyftstar

May 19, 2011
Soviet Heavy said:
I knew who Miranda Tate really was the instant she walked on screen in Dark Knight Rises
I didn't know exactly who she was at first but I knew she was dirty the second I saw her. It was confirmed for me when Nolan kind of lingered on that scar on her back.

DarkishFriend

Sep 19, 2011
Baldur Moon said:
The Cabin in the Woods most recently
The college kids were being sacrificed to some sort of ancient evil in order to stop something very bad from happening; they practically give it away in the opening credits and first 15 minuets of the film
Kind of left me disappointing cause all my friends were calling "

Best twist eva!" Hardly I say... Good movie though
That isnt twist, the twist is the movie is about making a horror movie, which was also easy to see.

Eddy-16

Jan 3, 2011
I saw the advert for Devil, the awful movie by M Night Shyamalan and called "The old lady will be the devil,[sarcasm] because who would expect that? [/sarcasm]"

rhyno435

Apr 24, 2009
yuval152 said:
That the people from the second episode of TWD(video game) were cannibals.
Yep. Got that one as soon as I heard the one brother say something along the lines of "Don't be late for dinner. It's gonna be a good one" really creepily.

Rayne870

Nov 28, 2010
I had Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy figured out in the first 15 minutes or so, so hard not to spoil it for my fiance.

Rayne870

Nov 28, 2010
Elect G-Max said:
Rayne870 said:
I had Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy figured out in the first 15 minutes or so, so hard not to spoil it for my fiance.
Wasn't that an episode of ST: Voyager?
I mean the movie with Michael Caine lol.

waj9876

Jan 14, 2012
I instantly knew that Ganondorf in Ocarina of Time wasn't doing his thing for purely evil reasons. At least at first.

And I was proven right in Wind Waker. When he mentions at his defeat that he only wanted to help his people, but his hatred for Hyrule and their winds of peace got the better of him.

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
I am just going to say if I can't see it coming most of the time it's bad. Didn't see the ending to Mass Effect 3 coming. I think that's the last time I didn't know in recent memory. If you wan something specific Metal gear solid 4.

In the second act they someone said Snake was going to die then in the third act Big Boss "died" and I called bull shit on both of those I am like no Snake is going to live and Big Boss isn't really dead. I would also like to point out it was the first metal gear solid game I had ever played, so it's not like I was some pissed off fan.

It's hard to get me on a twist, even if I don't say so I mostly know what's going to happen next. There is only like 26 different was to tell a story or something when you brake it down to it's roots.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
In Persona 4, I figured out that...
...that Naoto was a girl pretty much the instant she spoke, frankly, I feared for the intelligence of the games universe for everyone thinking she was a he. I mean, she had a female voice actor, and she really looked like one too. I confirmed it when she got thrown into the TV, I knew her shadow would reveal it. I yelled out "I CALLED IT" out loud the second it was revealed.
Clearly a girl!

Tyler Trahan

Sep 27, 2011
Still my favorite instance of this was when I watched the ever shitty Day After Tomorrow. When Dennis Quade and his 2 friends went out to go find his son, I turned to my mom and said "Mom, Dennis Quade is going to lead his friends out in horrible weather, the ground will crack underneath them through an earthquake or something, Quade will go "no! Grab my hand! Hold on!" his friend will fall and die". Sonofabitch it happened, the only twist was he fell through the top of an old mall, but that is more cliche hunting than anything. I can be a real pain in the ass in spotting plotlines and twists through cliches though, I had to train myself to shut up so that at least others could enjoy the film.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
Dr. McD said:
Pretty much this, but without the reading "Deighton and Forsyth novels" part. The twist just blatant and frankly shit, culture or no culture.
I was just into the Cold War before playing it, I assumed reading a lot about sleeper agents and brainwashing ruined the story for me.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
I have a really bad time with this. I don't know whether I just read way to many mystery books in my formative years or something but the vast majority of the time I figure it out before the protagonist or whoever. Maybe like 95%.

It's actually quite annoying and I don't even think I'm that smart.

There was even an episode of 'worlds strangest mysterious crimes' or something that I was watching with a guy I was seeing and I solved it before they even said what had happened in the end. He freaked out and started saying I'd seen it before or I was psychic. :|