Poll: Did your PS2 ever break?

DenUrs

Dec 19, 2009
Mine never broke, even though it was my only console and therefore I used it all the time, for games, as well as movies.

One of my friends' PS2 died at one point, but that was just about when the PS3 came out, so he just bought a PS3

Vidiot

May 23, 2008
I've had the same PS2 since 2002, but it only worked until '04. After that it's been in a box, and I couldn't be bothered to fix it. I bought an Xbox, then a 360, and the only PS2 games I own now are the complete Devil May Cry series and Shadow of the Colossus.

Haydyn

Mar 27, 2009
Mine still works to this day. Got it when Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4 came out as a present. Then again, both my Nintendo 64s work, my PS1 works, my Xbox works, my Gameboy Color and Advance work, and my Gamecube still works, and that thing I got wet when I shot water out of a hose into my 2nd story bedroom. That was a great birthday.

Spudgun Man

Oct 29, 2008
Ah those final days... as the life started to depart from it freeze rates went up until finally, no more disc reading capabilities, funnily enough it just happened to coincide with a lowering of price of the PS3.

JPArbiter

Oct 14, 2010
I have owned 2 seperate PS2 Consoles, and my first one had to be sent back to sony for repairs four times because the Spindle on the CD Drive kept breaking. keep in mind that this particular PS2 was a first generation model from the US launch in late 2000.

the second one I bought after trading in my PS3 (worst purchasing decision EVER) so far has not broken on me.

RipperSU

Nov 20, 2009
I've had my fat PS2 since 2002 and the only thing I've ever needed to do was clean the lens once when it stopped reading discs. In comparison I'm on my 2nd 360 and that currently has the 'open tray' error and has RROD'ed twice. I suppose its just a case of more complicated hardware or possibly just better design.

Grickit

Mar 2, 2011
My ps2 fatty was a freaking tank. I'd dropped it at least a dozen times from more than five feet in the air throughout its life. Finally, after nearly a decade of that abuse, one last accidental drop from a shelf broke the network adapter. Everything else was still fully functioning. o_O

I bought a slim for the final months of SWBF2's multiplayer life and pawned the fatty off on my little brother who still uses it on a regular basis.

dragonslayer32

Jan 11, 2010
I went through 3 PS2s. After my third PS2 and my PS3 broke, I gave up on Sony. I now refuse to own anything Sony.

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
Mine doesn't play DVDs, but in 7 years it has never broken :D And it is currently in the hands of my irresponsible 12 year old brother.

My one friend had his PS2 dropped from his roof, thrown into a pool and stuffed full of chocolate pudding. And it still worked for a year after the last one (the pudding).
In case you are wondering, it was his evil cousin Alpa who did this (only 1 letter away from Alva).

pretentiousname01

Sep 30, 2009
I loved my ps2. While I was not one of the idiots who stood in line on launch. I was one of the idiots who payed one of the other idiots who did stay in line.

Ten years later when it died, I wanted to bury it in the backyard as a lost pet. /man tear.

EightGaugeHippo

Apr 6, 2010
I have an xbox that has never failed me once in 3 years.
But I have a friend who has a PS3.
He said "Y U GET XBOX IT WILL BREAK!"
But last week, he got YROD.
My smug face, WAS IMMENSE!

[Edit]
FUUUUUU
read title wrong...

Me and my brother went through 3 PS2s. Those things just didnt want to live.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Mine is still going, and it's an old 3000 model. Granted, it's on its last legs, and having major problems with PS1 games, but if it were to completely crap out tomorrow, it would have given me 8 or 9 years more service than I expected it to. That sucker has to be 10 years old.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
By the end it had trouble reading movie DVDs and a couple of processor-taxing games like God of War 2 and Rogue Galaxy, but otherwise, no, it served me very well for over eight glorious years, and I'll probably plug it back in this summer to finish FFX and Silent Hill Shattered Memories.

Doctor What

Jul 29, 2008
My slim is still working. I've sold all my games for it, except for the RPGS. So, I think that maybe playing it for upwards of 10 hours each time has helped to make it a soviet fighting machine.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Never failed me, even though it's been dropped several times and it still gets used by my brothers. The only people I know who have had to replace theirs' are when their little sister put ham in the disc tray or that kind of thing.

blackflare

Jul 25, 2010
i got my fat ps2 the christmas it came out. Still worked up untill i upgraded to my ps3. Then i never used it so yeah it probably does still work. Its nice to have ahh memories even though my ps3 is backwards compatible

just checked it i forgot that the 2nd control port was broken but technicaly it still works

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
I suspect my PS2 hasn't gotten enough use out of it to fail.

Had to get rid of two broken PS1:s a couple of years back, though. I had more time to play through three Final Fantasy games multiple times back then, while I only ever finished two Final Fantasy games once each on the PS2.