Poll: Did your PS2 ever break?

Private Custard

Dec 30, 2007
Mine stopped reading original playstation black discs and ps2 games on purple/blue discs after about a year. I opened it up and re-aligned the laser, which worked for about a week.

I never had a problem with DVDs and DVD games, which was lucky as all my favourites were on DVDs!

Johnmcl7

Nov 27, 2007
Neither of my personal PS2's failed although they only had light use. However the PS2's were a constant pain in the neck at work as the test versions (same as the retail ones but could play any region, cd-r/dvd-r etc. and couldn't play DVDs) had lasers that failed all the time leading to me sending back two or three weekly on regular basis.

Screamarie

Mar 16, 2008
My PS2 broke once after years of faithful service...the reason why it broke you ask?..uh..well um let's just say it resented being placed on precarious perches.

I later bought I new one because I had yet to finish Kingdom Hearts 2 and it still works today, my ever faithful friend, bringing me Shadow of the Colossus and Persona 4.

Sgt. Dante

Jul 30, 2008
My original ps2 got swapped or a slim when that was the big new thing. but neither have ever been of any bother to me. My GF's has recently started to become quite funny about playing DVD's but it still plays games perfectly well.

Akyho

Nov 28, 2010
I baught one a few months after release. I died after a year. I baught a second one in 2002. and thats the same one i use now. i have been playing ring of red again recently.

Midnight Crossroads

Jul 17, 2010
Yeah, I bought my first one back before Sony really started doing quality control. It was the laser disc problem, but it was replaced. That one lasted until just a few months ago when the power supply in it failed, and I replaced it with one of the new slims. I ended up having to crack open that PS2 so I could release the lock in place on the DVD drive to get my Persona 4 disc out.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
I have never (fingers crossed) had a problem with my PS2 and its the old fat model. It used to be set up on our kitchen table and as a result had all sorts spilled on it, tea, coffee, food etc and it keeps on working. It is now in my room and gets dusted every other day so it doesn't get too dusty, and it keeps on working (at least it better, I just got Silent hill 3 the other week and I still need to get around to playing it)

FangShadow

Feb 18, 2009
Mine broke once, but thats because my mom tripped my control cord and it the floor. Had to get the new slim, which has worked since then. But I believe that my original fat would still work had it not hit the floor.

Ah PS2, that magnificently designed SOB....

CNKFan

Aug 20, 2008
Mine cannot read the blue bottom discs. That is the only problem that it has considering that it is the big ol' fat PS2 but if the new slim ones can play blue bottoms then I will replace it.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
My PS2 fat died after 4 years and i replaced it with a slim which is still working after 3 years.

thedevilscousin

Nov 14, 2010
I had and old fat thone that eventually broke... it made a funny noise and scratched the discs while at it.
Now i have a slim one that has been gathering dust for the last 2-3 years... but i bet it's 5 years old!

AetherWolf

Jan 1, 2011
Other than generally being worn out (a lot of PS1 games, DVDs, and some PS2 games don't work on it), nope.
Granted, it is the 'thick' model I bought in 2003 that's survived bumpy car rides and falling off a bunk bed, so I think it's done well.