Poll: Do You Date?

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
I would like to, but literally every single person that I am interested in is taken and rather happy about it, so that takes romantic relations of any kind off the table for the foreseeable future.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
I don't like the idea of dating. It feels really... locked-in and formal, I guess. Even if it's just dinner and a movie, I'd really rather call it hanging out with a girl than being on a date with her.

Dates carry certain connotations, which I think make the atmosphere a little too expectant of certain behaviors when I'd really rather just have fun and not worry about whether or not she's the type of lady who wants me to open a door for her.

I think spending time with someone allows a natural bond to be formed (if possible) and going on a date with someone sort of... forces two ends to meet.

Then again I've never been on a proper date so I'm just talking out of my ass.

NoeL

May 14, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
I hated the whole dog and pony show of dating, and routinely had to go to places I wouldn't normally frequent to engage in a social ritual I don't particularly like.
That's not really what dating is. Dating is spending time, often in the form of some activity, usually in a public place, with someone you're interested in getting to know more and engaging in a romantic relationship with. Alternatively, it's doing those things with somebody you're already in a relationship with. If you and your gf decided to go check out a movie together, or go to an aquarium or something - those are dates. You don't need to dress up and go to a fancy restaurant for it to be considered a date.

Anyway, OT: Yes I date. As a recent example, yesterday I met a girl I'd been talking to online. I went to her place and we played Nintendo for a few hours. That was a date (admittedly a rather pathetic date, but a date nonetheless).

A.A.K

Mar 7, 2009
Since I got back into Uni in July, end of July/early August, till last week, I've had something like 12 or 13 dates across 8 different women..

Never worked out for one reason or another. I didn't flinch when a dog got hit by a car and was ripped in half...or the woman I was seeing had a boyfriend (which I didn't find out till I received an unpleasant phone call a week after the 2nd date), or I simply couldn't stand being around her when she wanted to tell me her opinion on something...etc.

Recently however I decided not to pursue a relationship for a while. Done with having women eat my money and shit out headaches.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I am 25 soon to be 26 and I have never once been on a date. Honestly, it doesn't bother me all that much. I prefer all the alone time that I can get so I feel that dating or being in a relationship would just be a bother to me.

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
I've maybe been on 1 date in my life, and even classifying that as a date is a tad dubious. I haven't tried a great deal to court a companion though, so that's a significant factor in the lack of dating.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
I don't, never have. I've asked girls, and they never said yes.

And now I'll never ask again, probably. The answer is almost certainly going to be no, so why bother. Maybe I'll meet someone and we'll just kinda grow closer and closer until something happens. It's very improbable, but not as improbable as someone agreeing early on in knowing them to go on a date with me.

akai

Aug 23, 2013
I do date, but I also enjoy the casual time spent at my/the other person's place. The good thing about dates is that sometimes your partner will take you to a really cool place you had no idea about, so it can be pretty fun.

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
I do, though I've only been on one...maybe two.

Friend introduced me to his (then) fiancee's friend online, we clicked, met up a few months later at said friend's wedding where we clicked more. Travelled back after 10 months and finally took her on a date.

Paid for her hair to be coloured, waited in a salon for two hours with a flat DS and apparently patience to rival a monk. Then Chinese food, cuisine we both share a deep love for.

Next date was going to the mall and picking each other clothes, it was rather fun if it counts.

GeneralFungi

Jul 1, 2010
I would love to, but that would require me to publicly step out of the closet. I'm starting to kind of like it in here. There are soft mittens in here.

Mersadeon

Jun 8, 2010
Well, I still kind of don't get the American definition of "dating" - it seems so blurry. The only relationship I had came without dates, but that might be simply because it started as a long distance relationship. I guess you could call Skype calls dates?

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
I resigned myself to solitude when I came to the conclusion that I look like Shrek, crossed with Jack Black and John Goodman mixed with Satans left testicle. Plus... I'm an asshole, not like a loveable asshole, a vile repulsive asshole that's full of shit.

I wonder why I wasn't picked on in High School?

Bluestorm83

Jun 20, 2011
"Dating" is a ridiculous term. To me, "Dating" involves research, carbon-14, or finding the stone with the year chiseled into it. As far as women go, I don't want to "date" girls. I'd like to marry one, and if I meet one who likes going out and doing a lot of shit, and I don't mind these constant excursions, I would. But if I met a girl who would rather just be human beings together and not need a whole bunch of excitement and artificial experience to pretend that we have something in common, all the better.

Just throwing this out there, I despise sluts. Especially man-sluts. Sorry, but as a man I just put more responsibility on my own gender to be better than driven by the impulses of an organ that (ADMIT IT) is way WAY small compared to the rest of us. I don't understand how women think, so maybe there is a legitimate reason for them to sleep around. Don't know, don't want to know. Not my business. But guys, for God's sake grow up a bit, yeah?

TriGGeR_HaPPy

Another Regular. ^_^
May 22, 2008
Frankly... Not really. Every one of my relationships thus far has evolved from a friendship which the two of us realised was something more.
That's just as much the case for my current long-term relationship, which is so far going exceedingly well.

There was one exception to this, my easily most failed relationship which only lasted about 5 days. But on reflection, she was pretty much a rebound girl for me (following shortly after my first/first-long-term relationship), we had nothing in common, and the "dates" just consisted of the mall/around town.
So, yeah. the one relationship where I went on anything close to "dates", and which didn't evolve from a friendship, crashed and burned horribly haha.
Yaaay, dating. :p

Side-note: this is looking at things from a traditional/cliche view of dating. If you count even just hanging out as "dating", then yes, of course I've done that. But with that, the word "date" (not as in "to date", but "to go on a date") does seem to lose much of its purpose...

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Never really been one for "dates" per say, usually casual sexual encounters and drifting in and out of relationships with people I already knew. I have gone out with partners obviously but never in the way typical "dating" seems to work, it was usually two people enjoying an activity rather than a romantic date or anything.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
NoeL said:
That's not really what dating is.
You know, this thread in itself demonstrates that people don't agree on what dating is. I knew this going in, which is why I didn't define or specify terms before asking for results. I gave my own opinion and lef tit at that.

I'd thank you to not attempt to define it for me.

UrinalDook

Jan 7, 2013
I ticked 'I used to', as it seemed the most honest answer. I was also going to say 'it's not for lack of trying', but that's not quite right either. I'd love to try and get dates, my problem is that I just don't seem to meet many women in the first place. I have a lot of female friends, but (seemingly inexplicably) not many of them appear to have many female friends of their own, and none seem to have single ones. At least, that's what they tell me ;p.

I'm also terrible at noticing attractive girls in situations where I could feasibly introduce myself, and worse at coming up ways of starting conversation. So yeah, I haven't been on a date since second year of uni, but I'd love to get back into it. Getting to know someone over some nice food and drink is one of the things I enjoy most. Hell, I've had some dates that led to sex where I actually had more fun on the date. But until I finally get round to moving to a city, I just don't see myself meeting anyone I actually want to ask out any time soon.

Valkaris

Jun 8, 2010
dylanmc12 said:
I've been good friends with a female (yes, a female) since high school. Have we been dating? ...Ugh... I don't actually know.

Bottom line: Why date when you could go straight to omiai? Damnit, the Japanese are brilliant.

Bottomer line: No.
Hate to say it, but the Japanese didn't exactly invent arranged marriage.

OT

Do I date? Well I haven't much due to my general lack of enthusiasm in the whole idea. Certainly would, though I don't really like the idea of it much, too formalized and a bit anachronistic in our modern days now that courtship is kinda dead. I suppose at least a few dates are good for getting to know someone.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
I think we need to get a true definition of what a "date" is in this thread.

I've always started off with dates, usually a couple before we then just start hanging out at each other's homes or round about. It's usually going out for a meal, to the cinema. Ya know, the boring predictable stuff.

I like to get to know someone before I ask them out formally. I hate asking people out so I always want to be as informed as possible before doing so! I knew my current girlfriend at work for about a year before I asked her out about a week ago. We've been on one "date" but next time she's coming to mine and I'm making dinner and we'll watch a dvd. Is that a date?

I prefer to get as comfortable as possible with each other as quickly as possible so all the formal "courting" nonsense is out of the way. I dislike the traditional obligation of trying to impress a girl with material things. I don't ask it of her. I prefer to be myself, let her be herself and just have a nice time.