Poll: Does anyone (feminist, gamer, SJW, atheist) really find Fedoras attractive/cool?

visiblenoise

Jul 2, 2014
I think one can look good in a fedora. If one is smoking a cigar in a khaki coat and happens to be at least 40 years old.

Seriously though, I have never, ever seen it work with modern clothing, or young people.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
It's just a hat it looks good on some people, depends on head shape and outfit and it looks bad in others, I like it but I wouldn't wear one because I don't look good in one.

Chaos Isaac

Jun 27, 2013
They generally need to go with a suit or a more classic looking outfit to look good, but in and of themselves are cool enough.

I like them.

chocolate pickles

Apr 14, 2011
Sorry, but I think it's just a hipster thing. There's much more practical hats you could wear or, in the majority of fedora cases, you don't really need to be wearing a hat at all.

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
It's a hat. It looks good on some people and crappy on others. As with anything else involving style, the person makes the outfit not the other way around.

Tossing fedora around as part of an insult is just stupid. Sure it's the internet bit if you want to be understood it's better actually say what you want to say rather than attach some meaningless meme to your comment.

In any event, I am not in the habit of judging people by their attire, man or woman so I see no reason to start with this.

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
It's just a hat. I believe that those who insult a fedora/trilby wearers that isn't old or female, have little taste in fashion and choose to bring others down to their level. I've seen fat women in stretch pants and I once saw a man fill a pee bag while he was wearing shorts. In the same day, same Walmart. In a world where thongless flipflops, Ed Hardy merchandise and shirts that say "Fuck you, you fucking fuck" exist, fedora/trilby wearers are the ones that get chastised.

Seriously? Fuck that nonsense.

Maevine

Feb 4, 2013
Pretty indifferent about it. Most of the guys I've seen wearing one are young white bros who like to think they're full of gentle goodness when they're really nothing special... but yeah, the hat is kind of cool I guess? Maybe a little boring? Idk?

Frokane

Sep 28, 2011
Xiado said:
Fedoras are like short hair for a woman. Chances are, you don't have nearly enough class and charisma to pull it off so don't bother with it. Doesn't stop lonely nerds from adopting the look in droves trying to be unique.

EDIT: Most black dudes with good style can pull it off as well.
why you gotta bring race into it, surely anyone with good style can pull it off?

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
A Fedora looks good if you're wearing a suit, a waistcoat, or, at the very least, a shirt and tie.

A Fedora does not look good if you're wearing shorts and a "my little pony" t-shirt that's several sizes too small for you.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
I only think it looks good on men or women over forty that wear suits. Basically the look you see in old movies. I really don't think it looks good on anyone else. I think some people wear it now because they think it adds "class". Then there are some people who just like wearing them and don't care about public opinion.
First reply, nail on the head. Thank you. I was thinking of writing down a list of people who absolutely shouldn't wear one, but this is much more elegant. Also, now I want to watch The Sting again. :)

Phlap

Jun 1, 2011
Unless you're going to get yourself properly dressed to wear the thing, then it just looks stupid. It'd be like wearing a waistcoat with shorts and sandals.

I really don't care about fashion, but just randomly wearing a fedora with a t-shirt and jeans makes you look like you don't know how to dress yourself.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Like with any other article of clothing, it has to "fit" the wearer- not just in size, but in style. The problem is that some people assume that a particular article of clothing automatically connotes style just by being worn. A trilby with a ratty T-shirt and jeans is like a silk tie with an $8 Walmart shirt and bed-hair.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to get back to making "newsie" caps a thing again.

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
This threads funny cause it really shows the kind of person that frequents this site.

Fedoras look fine with suits and some smart clothes, some people can even make them look pretty sharp.

However you're kidding yourself if you think you look good in a fedora, t-shirt and cargo shorts combo. You just confirm what people were already judging you for.
Fedoras were cool. They were. Now a certain breed of people have started wearing them with casual clothes, and they have made it one of the most cringe worthy looks on the planet, the fedora, t-shirt and cargo shorts look.

Zakarath

Mar 23, 2009
I think it's a decent-looking hat. While I might not wear one myself, that's largely because I tend to disregard hats in general. All the stuff about it being a thing for maladjusted misogynists or whatever is is just another bit of silly internet BS with little bearing on reality.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Fedoras are great hats, I just think people have gotten tired of others using them as a badge of instant and undeniable coolness. They're just way too overplayed as status symbols.

And I think hats in general are just a bit silly. Unless you're wearing it for practical reasons or you're just really self conscious about losing your hair, it's like wearing sunglasses when the sun isn't even out.

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
Absolutely yes, I find the Fedora/Trilby, when worn appropriately, to be a very attractive piece of headwear. It's something you need to work at to make look right, you can't just throw one on and suddenly you're Frank Sinatra or somebody, it's something that has to be carefully considered, or else you'll just look like a massive tool.

garjian

Mar 25, 2009
I don't understand the fascination...
It's just a hat, and not a particularly strange one either.

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
I used to love trilbies and fedoras, but as most of the feminists I know and/or follow on twitter are constantly mocking men who wear them as self-ascribed Nice Guys[footnote]You know the type, yeah? "Why won't she shag me? I'm a nice guy! I opened doors for her and stuff. That guy she is shagging is a total bastard[citation needed]! She totally friendzoned me."[/footnote], that now whenever I see someone wearing one I automatically think "douchebag" =( Seriously, if anyone calls me "M'lady" I might scream. Possibly with laughter.

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
As part of a coordinated outfit, I imagine a fedora or trilby could look very dapper. Unfortunately, they're too often matched with print T-shirts, trenchcoats and shorts, and as a result look like a very half-assed way of indicating the wearer's class and sophistication. It's a bit like somebody walking around wearing a mortar board to subtly advertise how intelligent they are, or wearing transfer tattoos to try to look tough: you'd best be doing it for a joke, or else the joke is on you.