Poll: Does anyone (feminist, gamer, SJW, atheist) really find Fedoras attractive/cool?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I say only a certain people can pulled it off wearing a fedora (like Yatzee). So yeah anyone else wearing it, I see that person as the sterotypical hipster and what nots.

NPC009

Don't mind me, I'm just a NPC
Aug 23, 2010
trollnystan said:
I used to love trilbies and fedoras, but as most of the feminists I know and/or follow on twitter are constantly mocking men who wear them as self-ascribed Nice Guys so now whenever I see someone wearing one I automatically think "douchebag" =( Seriously, if anyone calls me "M'lady" I might scream. Possibly with laughter.
Yep, that's the image that immediatly comes to my mind when someone says 'fedora' (or 'Actually, that's a trilby.'). Which is a shame, because a good hat on the right head on a body wearing the right outfit is still nice to see.

I kinda wish hats in general would become a thing again. Hats are nice. But, and that's a big but, they need to be part of a look and not just some random element added to a bunch of other random elements. I don't care that trilby and the videogame shirt with the somewhat clever wordplay both stand for a different part of you, you should not wear them together! D:

srm79

Jan 31, 2010
The Madman said:
They can look classy when paired with a nice suit and a clean shave, otherwise I'd say people should avoid them or else it usually just comes across as a bit sloppy to be wearing one.
Unless you're Indiana Jones, obviously.

Belaam

Nov 27, 2009
My initial instinct was that only women look good in fedoras. But Google was unwilling to give me evidence of this, though I know I've seen it in person.

Then I realized that they can look good if paired with a suit instead of a T-shirt.

Then I remembered art of Korra et. al rocking them. (But they also needed suits)

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
I think it looks good, but it's been ruined by all the poser/neckbeard/fagbags that wear it just because it's the thing to do now.

If I were to wear a hat, I'd choose a different old style.

Roxor

Nov 4, 2010
It's part of Tex Murphy's signature attire. Why not wear it if you've got a suitable outfit to go with it?

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
Laggyteabag said:
Since when were the terms feminist, gamer, SJW, or atheist ever associated with fedoras? I always thought that it was pretty much almost exclusively used in conjunction with neckbearded self-proclaimed "nice guys".
I'm guessing because many stereotypical fedora-wearers are considered pushovers that will agree with pretty much anything if it means they are more likely to be considered cool or get laid.

Fedoras don't have much to do with atheists, rather the outspoken kind that goes out of their way to troll religious people. If someone goes into a library just to move bibles into the fiction section... chances are he wears a fedora.

I wouldn't be surprised if many SJW/white knights wear fedoras, as the stereotype does include the whole "real gentleman" thing (which the stereotypical fedora wearer interprets to mean "put women on a pedestal and treat them like children" which is pretty much the definition of "white knight"/"SJW" behaviour, though those behaviours are also based on stereotypes).

TL;DR: It's all stereotypes, man.

Xiado said:
Anything shorter than shoulder length. It's similar because it requires a bold and interesting personality to make work.

"Oh wow look, you're wearing a fedora. You must be so much different from other guys"

"Oh wow look, you cut your hair short. You're definitely not like the other girls"

Is the default reaction to people wearing a look that they adopted simply to stand out and cry their special snowflake status to the world. To make it work you need to make the unusualness of your look seem like the natural extension of a standout person, and to do that you need to be exceptional.
Easy, tiger. That's like saying long-haired guys "only do it to stand out". Women have been cutting their hair short for decades since forever. In fact the people I know with the longest hair are typically male.

The only requirements for short hair is a pair of scissors, really. None of this "bold and interesting personality" nonsense. I'd actually argue that having long hair is more difficult to pull off, as long hair requires significantly more maintenance.

fezzthemonk

Jun 27, 2009
It's a nice hat if you wear it with the right outfit. don't rely need a suit to pull it off ether, just not a tshirt and jeans.. But the neck beards corrupted it. It has such bad connotations that I can't wear my fadora. Damn you neckbeards, Damn you to hell

Silence

Living undeath to the fullest
Legacy
Sep 21, 2014
Country
Germany
If it is a gamer thing, I refuse to call myself gamer from now on.

I don't know where it came from. Probably some brony thing.

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
It can work when worn with the proper outfit. No one's going to look like Sam Spade in a T-shirt and jeans. People who just add a cheap one to anything they happen to be wearing just end up looking stupid.

dragonswarrior

Also a Social Justice Warrior
Feb 13, 2012
Honestly? Despite the fact that I'm a raging SJW I happen to think fedoras are a little bit nice looking, and I refuse to judge anyone by their headgear. Because then I'm just as bad as the people who wear fedoras.

... ... ... ... ...

*cackles madly at the hilarious irony of the previous two sentences*

Dec 10, 2012
I recently became acquainted with a fedora when I had to wear one for a stage play I was in. It was awesome. But it was only so cool because I wore it with a trenchcoat and black slacks and shoes, and I was literally playing Humphrey Bogart.

On most people, it doesn't work. In casual attire, it takes a special person to make it work. But if you're being a classy ************, and you dress appropriately, a fedora is among the best-looking accessories out there.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
If you give it the proper framing such a hat demands, then it's perfectly fine. Shave, suit up or consider wearing a less demanding hat.

And to be frank, I will judge you slightly by your appearance. Not in a moral sense, but the general appearance of a stranger is all you've got to go on, isn't it? Wearing a fedora/trilby with a pop t-shirt just looks lazy. It doesn't have to mean the wearer is, but that is the immediate impression with nothing else to go on. An impression can always be improved by being a good fellow, thankfully, but why do it? It's like turning up to an interview in an unwashed tracksuit.

The heart of the matter is that it is a very difficult hat style to pull off. Unless you put the work in, it will look incredibly silly. It's not magic, it only looks good because the rest of you do.

Of course, what do I know? I tend to dress as if I got kidnapped from the 1970's.

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
It only looks good if,

-You are wearing it outdoors (hats indoors is rude, especially hats like fedoras)

-You have a hat that actually fits you (that means being sized)

-You have a face shape complimented by the hat.

-You are wearing a suit or something similar that matches.

Needless to say, stereotypical neckbeards fail on all of these.

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
Its pretty simple really. You can wear it if its appropriate to the outfit. More specifically you need a suit with a tie and either a jacket or a waistcoat. Clean shaven, slight stubble or very deliberately styled facial hair (although even this last one can be questionable based on how its styled); the facial hair absolutely cannot be scruffy.

You might just get away with not wearing a suit if you're at least wearing dark clothes (or jeans and a dark top) and a trenchcoat (this last part is important). Else you just look ridiculous. The only person I've ever seen fulfilling none of the above and still pulling off a good look with one is Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones.

I own both a trilby and a fedora which I bought...must be five or six years ago now. I've worn them once or twice when going out with friends in a formal suit with wingtip shoes (and once on a "gangsters" themed night out). Sometimes when going to a prohibition themed bar in town. It can be a nice look but it requires a lot of care.

Throwing one on with just any old outfit is just silly. Attention to detail and care to your appearance is important. You don't even need to be that good looking, but taking care of what you do have is important.

nightmare_gorilla

Jan 22, 2008
Can i just say one thing here, It's 2014, it's the internet. WHO CARES!!!!!!!!. seriously 80% of responces to this threat are the fashion "rules" for wearing and accessorizing a hat. I thought one of the great things about being a man is that you get to call fashion bullshit and just wear whatever is comfortable and you like the look of. wear a fedora with a slipknot t-shirt and god damn tu-tu if you feel like it. others may not like it but why the fuck do you care? understand that it is all just fabric and trying to make a piece of clothing part of your identity means you're not that interesting on your own. just be a person you don't have to cultivate a "look". I wear a hat sometimes, sometimes i don't, the one peice of clothing i wear always are my prescription glasses.

let me rephrase this a simpler way. if it takes you more than a minute to pick out your clothes for the day you care too much what people think and should probably just wear a neon sign that says "LOOK AT ME I"M BORING"