Poll: If you had to lose one sense, what would it be?

inFAMOUSCowZ

Jul 12, 2010
Smell, no more being grossed out by the smell, when you go to a portable toilet, at a local football game.

Death-of-Penguins

Mar 2, 2010
I think I would miss smell too much- my mum's baking bread right now and I don't want to give that up.
So taste. Then I could eat only healthy food and be fine with the taste of asparagus.

Ravek

Aug 6, 2009
Pain I guess. At least that has a few advantages to offset the massive disadvantages.

Wasted Frank

Jan 23, 2011
Out of the ones in the poll I would have to choose taste.
The other senses people have meationed include:
- balance
- hunger
- thirst
- pain (I think it is seperate from touch)
- thermo something (sense heat)
- sixth sense (used to see bruce willis in a bad film)
- one used to feel shortness of breath (not sure about this)
etc.

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
I would go with kinesthesioception. I don't need my body to tell me how quickly I am going fast when the needle in my car and the nice police officer can tell me that.

theriddlen said:
Pain.

I could easily get used to being careful. And touch so much more useful.
Nice, I was getting worried people actually thought we only had 5 senses.

Wasted Frank said:
- pain (I think it is seperate from touch)
- thermo something (sense heat)
Pain is different from touch. There are people who can't feel pain, but can still feel ticklish, pressure, and heat(Thermoception).

volcanblade

Jan 11, 2010
Smell, I have allergies so I rarely can actually smell things unless they smell horrible.
Not to mention losing touch would be suicidal considering the point is to alert you when you shouldn't be doing something or something is injured.

michael87cn

Jan 12, 2011
Holy crap LOL @ the poll results.

Human intelligence at it's finest...

Smell is actually the second most important sense. Smelling is necessary for survival. If human beings never had a sense of smell I can't tell you how many times people would have gotten sick/died from food poisoning, eating something bad, not knowing something was wrong (smoke, fire etc).

You need sight to see so you don't stumble when you walk and can have an awareness of your surroundings, you need smell so you don't eat something bad, alert you to danger, and you need hearing so nothing can sneak up on you.

It's kind of funny that most people choose smell because they don't use it very often, but that doesn't change the fact that you'd be severely crippling one of your main biological defense systems.

Bad meat? You're getting food poisoning because you couldn't smell/taste it... House is on fire? You wouldn't know until it was too late... Milk gone bad? Time to visit the doctor...

Touch and taste are important but they wouldn't cripple your ability to survive.

moretimethansense

Apr 10, 2008
FightThePower said:
moretimethansense said:
Nouw said:
Touch...

What the hell does it do except pain-wise?
Let's see, sexual pleasure, the knowlege that you are touching something and how hard you are touching it, the feeling of being wrapped in a big comfy duvet the ability to know if you are pressing a button/key without having to look at it constantly. and that's just off the top of my head.

OP:
Temperature sense.
Sorry OP but there are actually closer to thirty senses than there are five, the "five senses" that you are taught in school are ridiculessly outdated and incorrect, as is the thing where they teach yoiu to believe different parts of your tounge taste different things, and there's even another type of flavour that they don't teach.
I hate it when schools do that. It's like when I went from GCSE Chemistry to A Level Chemistry and they told us that so much that they taught us was a lie because it was 'easier to understand'.

Enlighten me, please.
The extra taste?
Umami, at least I think that's how it's spelled, it's savory.

As for other senses, I don't know most of them myself, only that they're there.
The ability to discern temperature is one, and there's another I can't name, close your eyes and then move an arm around, it's the sense that let's you know the position of your own limbs.

Jamboxdotcom

Nov 3, 2010
smell would be the obvious answer, except that without it you pretty much can't taste anything, either, so it's a 2-for-1 loss. i think i'd instead chose to lose my sense of time. :)

ChocoFace

Nov 19, 2008
Monkfish Acc. said:
Smell. Most useless goddamn sense. Most smells are bad anyway.
I can take a blow to taste because seriously smelling things is awful.
but what if someone farted, everyone but you felt it and someone asked "who farted". You wouldn't know what was going on till its too late.
OT:yeah, smell.

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
FightThePower said:
moretimethansense said:
Nouw said:
Touch...

What the hell does it do except pain-wise?
Let's see, sexual pleasure, the knowlege that you are touching something and how hard you are touching it, the feeling of being wrapped in a big comfy duvet the ability to know if you are pressing a button/key without having to look at it constantly. and that's just off the top of my head.

OP:
Temperature sense.
Sorry OP but there are actually closer to thirty senses than there are five, the "five senses" that you are taught in school are ridiculessly outdated and incorrect, as is the thing where they teach yoiu to believe different parts of your tounge taste different things, and there's even another type of flavour that they don't teach.
I hate it when schools do that. It's like when I went from GCSE Chemistry to A Level Chemistry and they told us that so much that they taught us was a lie because it was 'easier to understand'.

Enlighten me, please.

The five senses that are commonly known were coined my Aristotle.

Other senses include:
Balance
Thermoception(temperature)
acceleration
Proprioception(tells you where your body parts are. People are actually missing this sense.)
Nociception(pain)
and various internal senses like hunger, thirst, if you have to pee, things dealing with the esophagus, etc.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
Taste. I could eat a great many more things - because I'm very fussy.

I'd rather keep my sense of smell because the likes of cut grass, flowers, bonfires and cooked food/baked food is damn nice :D

michael87cn

Jan 12, 2011
I guess the comparison for modern times is "how important is that sense for your PLEASURE?"

The poll is too vague. Senses differ in importance based upon what they're used for.