Report: Internet Explorer 9 Doesn't Suck

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Avast + chrome = 90% of threats are stopped anything that gets past has to be pretty much installed by me and if I'm that stupid I deserve it.

Throwitawaynow

Aug 29, 2010
Chrome is really bad. I've been using it exclusively for a week and I'm about to go back to IE9. Doesn't block pop-ups, auto maximizes when dragging tabs off to the size, and now it doesn't block malware... Certain customization is lacking too.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
xXSnowyXx said:
You all laughed when I said Internet Explorer was good! WHOS LAUGHING NOW?!?!
Everyone? Have you read the rest of the thread? The way they tested doesn't seem right :p

SnowyGamester

Tech Head
Oct 18, 2009
dogstile said:
xXSnowyXx said:
Everyone? Have you read the rest of the thread? The way they tested doesn't seem right :p
When I get a virus while using IE9 I'll consider their point of view.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
xXSnowyXx said:
dogstile said:
xXSnowyXx said:
When I get a virus while using IE9 I'll consider their point of view.
Well, a toast then (and a reason for me to drink)! Here's hoping you don't get a virus, because to be honest the better the protection the better!

SoulChaserJ

Sep 21, 2009
Make smarter users and the need for intrusive "Smart Screening" will be meaningless. My children can tell when not to follow a link, why can't most "adults"? Laziness and apathy for the medium. People want computers and moreso the web to just DO what THEY want with no care for anything behind the scenes. Yes this is being written by a system administrator and no I don't really care that most don't care what goes on beyond their "screen". I'd wager that most people don't believe that cars are magical so why should computers and by extension the internet be?

DaNick667

Feb 2, 2011
This report is incomplete, as IE9 is having severe issues with any email websites. Crashes on yahoo, google, etc... whenever you try to log in.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
i think the real issue is that ie isn't a target for malware any-more because nobody uses it, with the release of this information the number of threats to ie will likely sky-rocket as less informed users flock to the 'safe' browser rendering the advanced security features moot, on weight of numbers

personally i haven't had any malicious software in over 6 years, and believe me i've scanned the crap out of my pc when it acts strangely
( usually nvidia's fault by the way, dumbass driver installer. )

i think the reason is because i reinstall windows so often, and switch os drives which obviously ends up generating an entirely new disk partition and boot record which is where the really nasty stuff tends to hide
with the added bonus that i don't have a registry clogged up with junk or butchered by programs

Sentox6

Jun 30, 2008
tokae said:
Seeing as how that study is out-dated already (Firefox 6? OHYEAH!), I don't think there is much to this...

wut? 6 is effectively in beta, 7 is an alpha, and 8... well, it's bleeding edge nightly code. Assuming this test is supposed to be remotely relevant to average PC users, using Firefox 6 makes sense.

Jan 22, 2011
lets see malware or performance.. I will go with a little mal-ware E9 is crap, way to slow to buffer videos, takes to long to load pages hell FF6 and Chrome are the only good choices

hillbilly2

Aug 17, 2011
This report is only HALF THE STORY
Here is the rest:
- Internet Explorer's false positive rate was between 30% and 75%.
- IE9 is the most vulnerable to drive-by hacks because of its high number of OPEN vulnerabilities in all versions of Internet Explorer. Here are just the open vulnerabilities in IE9 (currently 14 un-patched vulnerabilities)
http://www.securityfocus.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?c=12&vendor=Microsoft&version=%209&title=Internet%20Explorer
- IE9 is unable to block exploits of such software as Adobe Reader and Flash, Apple 's iTunes or Oracle 's Java
http://www.pcworld.com/article/228327/security_researcher_slams_microsoft_over_ie9_malware_blocking_stats.html

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
I haven't used IE for years and I'm not going to start now no matter how many rigged studies claim it's better. Besides, I'd rather have a relatively uniform browsing experience, including plugins, across all my computers - that's the Windows gaming box as well as the multiple Linux boxen. I wouldn't want to use a different browser on my game machine and have to change working methods all the time.

AgentBJ09

May 24, 2010
Well, since my version of Firefox flat out refuses to work with a number of sites I like, I'll be getting this as soon as I buy Windows 7. Really looking forward to trying that OS out.

For now, I have IE8 and that works far better for me. Google's not getting my support for their browser, and I'll leave Opera to my future Wii console.

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
A newer browser with a newer system to block malware outperformed existing browsers with better-known malware-blocking systems?

I am shocked.

This is an inherently biased report. Beyond that, the ability to block malware is the absolute last thing I'm looking for in a browser. If anything, I usually try to find a way to turn those systems off. They often generate a lot of false positives and, more importantly, I really just don't need protection from malware. The solution to "socially-engineered" malware is education - learning not to go to sketchy websites you've never heard of and learning what a sketchy website looks like. This will prevent at least 99.2% of your problems.