Report: Mass Effect Put on Indefinite Hold

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
The worst thing I would say about ME:A is that it was average or uninspiring, and prone to being buggy (I think I personally had 1 noticeable bug in my playthrough). It has a fairly solid core that is fun if that style of gameplay appeals to you. But these days being a AAA and being average or uninspiring? Well, you may as well have committed a war crime. Especially if you're a developer like Bioware, who already upset the internet.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Adam Jensen said:
The ultimate message is to STOP PREORDERING GAMES!
Thankfully most of my friends have stopped. Still, I think we're in the minority.

More on topic: Bioware's been kinda RIP for me since ME3. It's just not the same company anymore. Makes me sad :(

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
Welp.

The Montreal Branch frankly didn't deserve to be handed the franchise, as all they previously did was the Multiplayer, which didn't involve making the character models or write the story. And now they are downgraded to 'online support' which means that they will only be working on the Multiplayer, so no more fixes to the main game nor DLC.
This is EA being massively stupid again, as the Multiplayer is mainly there to keep people occupied and invested in the game till new DLC or fixes to the game are released. So they just killed the game and its multiplayer because they brought the whole thing down.
It's a typical EA move, stupid to the core and completely missing the point and how the market reacts.

They rushed a severely unpolished, but highly anticipated game, made by a studio that didn't know what they were doing and now canned the whole thing before more experienced people could come in and fix the horrible mess.

Congrats EA. Going for another Shittest Company Award?

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
Played Andromeda, really enjoyed it, disappointed I wont be getting a sequel soon by the sounds of it.

I only had one crash the entire time I played it and that was due to a hardware fault on my PC rather than the game. I didn't think the animation was terrible, just not the best. The multiplayer was the same as ME3 which I spent ages playing so I enjoyed the multiplayer for Andromeda just the same. I like most of the characters in Andromeda. The story was quite good and I enjoyed the feeling of exploring a new galaxy, especially at the start when I had no idea what things were.

I'd say Andromeda was a good game, not the best game but good, worth the money I payed for it. I honestly don't see why people are complaining about it so much, I can only guess its due to people still being upset over the ME3 ending and so went into Andromeda expecting it to be shit and expectations will change how you see a game.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Silentpony said:
Its not art, its a business. They're selling a product. A product whose success depends solely on its content and quality. And it had neither, so as a product it was a failure. Thus the business people, with the job of creating s successful product, failed in their job.
...except given the subjective nature of art (regardless of what you repeat and would like to believe, it demonstrably isn't just a "business"), you are unable to objectively prove success or failure.

And to judge art/entertainment purely on how much it sells would be tantamount to a kind of anti-art culture, which would be in dire need of maturing/evolving. Thankfully, I'd say most people do not hold to that horribly reductive position.

Elijin said:
But these days being a AAA and being average or uninspiring? Well, you may as well have committed a war crime. Especially if you're a developer like Bioware, who already upset the internet.
That's not just for triple-A games, though. And BioWare upset particular and particularly vocal sections of teh internetz/society - I'd wager most people who bought and played it treated it as you described; just another okay game to play and then likely move on from (I'll see for myself tonight).

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Darth Rosenberg said:
Maybe you can't, but I can. Bioware wanted their product to do well, financially and critically. Bioware's product did not do well financially or critically, at least not to the benchmark Bioware set.
Bioware's product failed in its intent.
Whether or not you think its art is irrelevant, because you didn't buy an extra 2million copies. And to an investor, which do you think it more important? An extra 2 million units sold, or someone saying "But Art cannot be judged, for what is art? Well, Art is Art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water. And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now you tell me what you know, Mr. Boss Man!"

Chance are you'd be fired.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Silentpony said:
babinro said:
Silentpony said:
Good. They made a bad game, they deserve to get shit-canned as a result.
Assuming this wasn't sarcastic...I don't understand this mentality. Why are we brought up to learn from our mistakes and improve but once a big project fails the answer is to fire everyone?

With that view it's amazing Zelda and Castlevania franchises survived beyond the second installments.

The Mass Effect universe has a lot to offer. I don't think one merely 'decent' installment should be enough to kill the franchise.
What school did you go to?! When I got the answer wrong on a test, I was marked wrong. When I failed a class, I failed. No one said "Oh, well at least you tried your best, and as we all know, in Calculus, its the thought that counts..."

In the real world when you fail a project, you're fired. You don't still go on to the next grade or get a chance to repeat the class. You failed, you're fired.
The point where that analogy falls apart is that game making are not individual tests, and there is a lot of "fault" that can be divided among many people (there is also the part about judging failure or success in a piece of art is a lot harder than in 2+2=6, but that is another issue).

A better analogy would be, imagine a Calculus test where you are given a single question and 10 minutes to answer. Now imagine every member of your class is given a different question, and failure is defined by the amount of correct answers the entire class got. So, if most people failed the test, the entire class fails the test, regardless of your individual performance. Now imagine the one that decides which person gets each question is one of your classmates (not you), he does it without the input or opinion of anyone else, and he is the only one that is likely to pass, regardless of the result. And, just for kicks, imagine that if you fail this test, you can't repeat it, you have to repeat the course and try again, in a different school.

That is a closer analogy. See the "fairness" in that?

In all fairness, I am not against the people that made the decisions that lead to the game feeling unfinished despite being clustered getting some kind of punishment, but the people that got laid-off are likely to be the ones that didn't even get to decide on Ryder's hair color. Regardless of the reception, Wilson is still going to get a 1 million dollars salary (I am not exaggerating here), and Walters is still going to move on to the next Bioware project.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
hermes said:
OH! I get it! It's like a sports team, where no matter how much one player screams they scored the most goals of the entire team, the fact the team still lost means the team lost.
And also like in the say, business world, where if a project fails, more than just the project manager's head is on the slab. The entire teams' jobs are at risk, because they all share in the blame of the failed group project, and no amount of finger pointing fixes that.

There are lots of things in the world where you're judged on the performance of others in your team.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Silentpony said:
hermes said:
OH! I get it! It's like a sports team, where no matter how much one player screams they scored the most goals of the entire team, the fact the team still lost means the team lost.
And also like in the say, business world, where if a project fails, more than just the project manager's head is on the slab. The entire teams' jobs are at risk, because they all share in the blame of the failed group project, and no amount of finger pointing fixes that.

There are lots of things in the world where you're judged on the performance of others in your team.
True, but you shouldn't worry about the future of the project manager and other decision makers' heads... Regardless of the reception, Wilson is still going to get a 1 million dollars salary, and Walters is still going to move on to the next Bioware project. But I am sure they are not responsible for it and shouldn't be singled out. Not like the person that made Ryder's textures.

kitsunefather

Verbose and Meandering
Nov 29, 2010
Sniper Team 4 said:
So...although unanswered questions from ME:A are going to remain unanswered? Like...basically the entire game? Smooth, BioWare. I know Andromeda wasn't the greatest game, but I'd still like to know what happens. I was kind of hoping you guys would learn from the mistakes and strive to make it better--like you've been saying you were going to do--but apparently tucking your tails and running is the better choice.
Thanks. Thanks a lot.
This is why we, as the gaming audience, should demand more games be self-contained stories, that leave dangling threads to be picked up in future installments, rather than planned outright as multi-part "epics". Tell a good story in a world we want to revisit, or with characters we want to see more of, rather than simply sell us a half-finished story and tell us to "wait for the sequel".

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
hermes said:
Silentpony said:
hermes said:

Truth, but you shouldn't worry about the future of the project manager and other decision makers' heads... Regardless of the reception, Wilson is still going to get a 1 million dollars salary, and Walters is still going to move on to the next Bioware project. But I am sure they are not responsible for it and shouldn't be singled out. Not like the person that made Ryder's textures.
I do actually feel bad for one person on the team. Won't name her, but she's my bro's GF and her first job out of her master's program was on the QA team for Andromeda.
I can't decide if come thanksgiving if I should ask her if the turkey's textures are still loading...

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
I love how silly this thread is.

For many years a lot of the main figures of Bioware have been leaving and Bioware has been making less quality products as of late. They ship Mass Effect to their B-Team studio, who mishandles Andromeda to epic degrees, and people are screeching on with the "It's all EA's fault" meme.

Can we for once place some damn responsibility on the people who actually the game rather than go for the low hanging fruit?

Nov 28, 2007
AzrealMaximillion said:

For many years a lot of the main figures of Bioware have been leaving and Bioware has been making less quality products as of late. They ship Mass Effect to their B-Team studio, who mishandles Andromeda to epic degrees, and people are screeching on with the "It's all EA's fault" meme.

Can we for once place some damn responsibility on the people who actually the game rather than go for the low hanging fruit?
But according to these same people, EA drove out the main figures of Bioware. As for shipping Mass Effect: Andromeda to their B-team studio, that actually was (apparently) EA's decision, as was the decision to outsource the facial animations without any input from the development team.

Bioware isn't faultless, mind you, but EA is far from innocent.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Hawki said:
Saelune said:
RIP Bioware's corpse. 2007-2017/8. (RIP Real Bioware 1995-2007)
But I liked Mass Effect 1 :(

Then again, it's only one of two (technically three) BioWare games I've played, and the first of said three, so, I can admit to being ignorant.
I also liked Mass Effect 1, which was the final game good Bioware made. Unfortunately, Mass Effect 2 on was not made for ME1 fans.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
Steven Bogos said:
Sources are claiming that BioWare's Montreal studio has been downsized, and work on new Mass Effect titles has been put on ice.

Mass Effect: Andromeda was not as well received by critics and the public as its predecessors, and that reaction is reportedly having some lasting effects at BioWare. Sources close to Kotaku [https://www.kotaku.com.au/2017/05/sources-bioware-montreal-downsized-mass-effect-put-on-ice-for-now/] have claimed that not only has the developer's Montreal studio been downsized, but the entire Mass Effect franchise has been put on ice for now.
What did they expect would happen? Storywise it addeed not so much anything to the series. Thusly it made the graphics issues that much more focus worthy. Honestly I'm sort of baffled at those bugs to begin with.

I could expect that happening with a small team of EAcc indie devs, but this is a group of seasoned vets with millions of dollars and a makor publisher. And they miss an issue that even the most casual of playthroughs would notice. One playtester would have been enough to point that shit out and they're surprised that not doing even that got them a poor reception?

BioWare Montreal is the studio responsible for Andromeda, and last month a number employees were transferred to the studio EA Motive, also based in Montreal, to work on Star Wars Battlefront 2. Those remaining at BioWare Montreal will help support BioWare's other games including the new intellectual property that was recently delayed [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/170322-New-BioWare-IP-Delayed].
Wonder how long it will take for EA to get cold feet on that.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Silentpony said:
Maybe you can't, but I can. Bioware wanted their product to do well, financially and critically. Bioware's product did not do well financially or critically, at least not to the benchmark Bioware set.
Bioware's product failed in its intent.
Can you only capable of see the world in binary states? True/false, success/fail? Very few things in life are that simplistic.

A perception of failure on the publishers side is their own matter to decide - neither your opinion or mine is relevant to that judgement. If EA come out and declare ME:A a financial failure, then it is one for them[footnote]Though we'd need to know the projections they forecast and targets they wished to hit - which we could then compare to other publishers projections and benchmarks and assess whether EA were at all reasonable or not. Publishers - primarily being little more than money-men and marketers - are often a tad moronic and greedy, after all...[/footnote]. If some of the developers come out and declare their pride in the work, then it is a success to them. Ditto for anyone who plays the game (the most reasonable people will likely always see a mixture of qualities in all art/entertainment, and not ignorantly dish out reductive labels; bad films/games/books have good elements, good films/games/books have bad elements, and there's a ton of variously blandly acceptable content in between).

Surely the only way objective commercial failure can ever be declared is if a project does so poorly as to not make profits or endanger the solvency of the company backing it, or/and if people go unpaid.

ME:A did just fine commercially, and if we're going from general reception by gaming press, then 73 on Metacritic on PC (77 on Xbox, 70 on PS4) is not even close to a critical failure.

fi6eka said:
...than getting "Indinna Jones"'ed with garbage JSW pandering and "streamlining".
"JSW"? Is that another made up cultural boogieman, or just a typo?

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
Yep BioWare hate still strong on The Escapist forum. All quiet on the western front.

If true regrettable news. I'm currently finishing my second play thru sitting at slightly above 120 hours and level 93.
So I would be rather sad that I do not get to investigate the identity of the benefactor, missing Quarian ark or what happened to the Remnants and what the Kett Empire truly is like.
Overall I think the game did pretty good some issues like animations aside.
It had the ungrateful task to create or continue a Mass Effect universe after the ME3 ending. And I think overall it succeeded. Too bad if EA decides to throw it all away.

Someone here said ME died with ME3 as it was all about this one crew.
I don't think so.
Let's not forget a lot of the Normandy crew got replaced in ME2. Some choices about your crew did not carry over from ME2 to ME3 either e.g. Morinth or were no more than a cameo e.g. Kasumi.
What I say is the original cast is overrated because of some more outstanding entries like Mordin or Garrus.
On its own right ME:A has some pretty decent characters such as Drack, Vetra or Jaal.
For me it's like someone claiming StarWars is all about the Skywalkers or Star Trek all about Spock and Kirk.
I would like to believe that a lore rich universe can be used for all kinds of stories. That's why I looked forward to SW 1313 and I thought it was a downgrade when they said it was Boba Fett as it seemed like an unnecessary tie not to mention the game character looked nothing like Morrison.

All these stories how dreadful ME:A is only make me giggle. All I hear is some people with a lack of perspective talking. Apparently they have never played a truly bad game in their life. But the binary is strong on the internet: Something can only be the greatest thing ever or the biggest pile of shit, there is little in between.
Well for me something in between exists.
ME:A had and still has its problems but overall it is okay. I would like it to continue and improve.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
thebobmaster said:
AzrealMaximillion said:

But according to these same people, EA drove out the main figures of Bioware. As for shipping Mass Effect: Andromeda to their B-team studio, that actually was (apparently) EA's decision, as was the decision to outsource the facial animations without any input from the development team.

Bioware isn't faultless, mind you, but EA is far from innocent.
I hear you, but as you can see in the thread, a lot of people are letting Bioware slide. I don't like doing that. I also find it funny when people go at EA for doing certain bullshit, but not other companies for doing the same thing.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Darth Rosenberg said:
I see business as business. Bioware is in the business of making money. Business is that simple. Did you make enough money to turn a profit? Did you hit your sales goal? Was your product well received by the consumer? Can we justify a sequel game, given our first game's reception? Did the flaws in our product affect sales? Why were the flaws not fixed? Who was in charge of those areas that were flawed? Why did they give us a flawed product? Why are they still working for us?

These aren't philosophical topics to be pondered over brandy. This is Business 101.
The fact someone takes pride in their work doesn't matter if they go out of business because no one else took pride in their work.