Skyward Sword

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
You know what, I liked Skyward Sword, but I would never go to such lengths to defend it,
I mean, I have a friend is a Wii fanboy, and yet, he never gets angry at Yahtzee for his constant Wii bashing in his reviews.

I am also an assassin's crred fan, and even though Yahtzee says that the games are groaning W/ unnecessary s***, I still respect his opinion, and I never feel the need to rage at him.

*I did only play about 90 minutes of Skyward Sword BTW(it was at my friend's house)

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
I was one of those who criticized his video, but I accept this as a critic.

I'm a Zelda fanboy, but I'm not blind. I know that Zelda isn't perfect, nor that it will ever be. Nothing will ever be perfect. But I will not accept critics that say "It's shit' without any really explanation.

Fi was indeed annoying. For someone more, for someone less. I just took that as her character.
The Water Dragon was indeed a pain in the ass with proving your self. I already saved her ass, why the hell do I have to prove my self again? But then again, the other dragons wheren't, so I took that as her character too.

But complaining for the most commune fetch quests in Skyward Sword, jet saying that Skyrim is one of the best things ever happened is a bit... well... hypocritical. Skyrims is all about fetch quests. Go here, kill that, come back. Go there, take that, bring it back. The only time that I actually felt that my quests did something in Skyrim was in the Dark Brotherhood and in the Thief guild (although even those quest didn't have any impact).

I hate those kind of quests as much as any other games does, but there is nothing that I or anyone else can do to change it. So I will try to enjoy it as much as possible. The only thing that ruined some of those quests is that they where so obvious what to do.

I would also disagree with you about Link having a personality only in the Wind Waker. Skyward Sword did really well with his facial expressions. You could see many times that he was actually scared, jet his still found courage. That he was in love, jet he didn't have courage enough to say it. That he was happy, or sad...
Did you even look at Links face when he fought Ghirahim the last time? Did you just ignore the hate in Links eyes? IMHO, this is the first time that you could see hate in Link.

I didn't have any problems with the motion controls, but I know that there is a slight delay which is because of the controls. I don't think you can say it's a bad part of Zelda, because it's not. It's a bad part of the whole console. The game used the controls it had to it's maximum. That would be like saying that it's the fault of Battlefield 3 how bad it looks on the PS 3. No, it's the fault of the console, not the game. The developer gave their best to make it look as good as possible.

But as I said, I accept this article as a real critic. Not the video which was listing things that you though where bad, but didn't have any real explanation.

AyreonMaiden said:
Loved Skyward Sword, love Zelda in general, quite agree with Yahtzee in many regards about this game.

It's just funny, how it takes a new Zelda game to put into perspective that the previous one wasn't shitty at all. Zelda fanboys truly are some of the ficklest/worst ever .
Well, Wind Waker was hated for a really long time, but now it's one of the most loved. I loved it from the day it came out. For me, it's the second bast Zelda game. After Majora's Mask. ^^

Robert632

May 11, 2009
cthulhumythos said:
i went into this preparing to be annoyed (i don't know why i click on things that i think would gain my ire) but i ended up agreeing for the most part. except on twilight princess ( tied with skyward sword for weakest zelda titles i've played)

one of my main complaints is that about 80% of this game is just busywork. wanna go to the water dungeon? go backtrack to the first dungeon and get some water at the end. there was simply way too much retracing. also the lack of ganon. i was really hoping he was behind it all, because at this point i laugh whenevver that happens. also fi was horrendously bland and verbose. also how many times must she say my hearts are low? i mean they're freaking beeping, why do i need more annoying reminders?

interestingly, my favorite zelda games (up to this point) have been the ones to break away from the formula like wind waker and majora's mask. speaking of which, is Majora's Mask coming to the 3ds? i'd be curious to see a zp of it, as it is one of the stranger titles in the series. as in, it has way more atmosphere* than the other ones. or not, because there are hells of the other titles out there to review, and there's been like, what, 4 zelda reviews already?

anyhoo, this article was pretty much my thoughts on the game. also i appreciate you yahtzee. well, as long as you review games i don't feel were all that great.

* italicized for overused buzz word.
Your argument for disliking the lack of Ganon is insane. That no one called you on this is surprising, but I feel the need to.

If you want to know the reasoning, it's because in no way could they have done this in a way that would make you happy. Include him, You laugh and say how stupid it was, not include him, you complain because you don't get to laugh at something that is clearly an amusing story fault to you.

Malty Milk Whistle

Oct 29, 2011
nbamaniac said:
As a biased gamer who didn't feel much praise for any Zelda game (except for A Link to the Past and the Minish Cap), damn this post felt good. xD

If there's a game that should be exposed more, it must be Golden Sun.

*Searches through armory for flame shield*
i found the original in a car boot sale....i almost cried with happiness, since my original was ran over by a lawnmower.

JohnDoey

Jun 30, 2009
Huh, the Zelda and Yahtzee fanboys are out in full force, some saying Yahtzee's infallible and other that Zeldas perfect.
Personally I thought the game was great it had it's issues but still a lot of fun, didn't have any problems with the controls I don't why he zeroed in on the busywork is this game it's pretty much a rpg staple and a bit worse in Skyrim I feel.

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
i agree with his points but the difference is they didn't bother me enough to ruin the game

cthulhumythos

Aug 28, 2009
Robert632 said:
cthulhumythos said:
i went into this preparing to be annoyed (i don't know why i click on things that i think would gain my ire) but i ended up agreeing for the most part. except on twilight princess ( tied with skyward sword for weakest zelda titles i've played)

one of my main complaints is that about 80% of this game is just busywork. wanna go to the water dungeon? go backtrack to the first dungeon and get some water at the end. there was simply way too much retracing. also the lack of ganon. i was really hoping he was behind it all, because at this point i laugh whenevver that happens. also fi was horrendously bland and verbose. also how many times must she say my hearts are low? i mean they're freaking beeping, why do i need more annoying reminders?

interestingly, my favorite zelda games (up to this point) have been the ones to break away from the formula like wind waker and majora's mask. speaking of which, is Majora's Mask coming to the 3ds? i'd be curious to see a zp of it, as it is one of the stranger titles in the series. as in, it has way more atmosphere* than the other ones. or not, because there are hells of the other titles out there to review, and there's been like, what, 4 zelda reviews already?

anyhoo, this article was pretty much my thoughts on the game. also i appreciate you yahtzee. well, as long as you review games i don't feel were all that great.

Your argument for disliking the lack of Ganon is insane. That no one called you on this is surprising, but I feel the need to.

If you want to know the reasoning, it's because in no way could they have done this in a way that would make you happy. Include him, You laugh and say how stupid it was, not include him, you complain because you don't get to laugh at something that is clearly an amusing story fault to you.
that point honestly wasn't as serious as the others. i'm not saying that it made the game worse than what it could've been if it had ganon. i just love the 'hijacked by ganon' thing. i wasn't being serious with this as a legitimate point, but sadly the internet doesn't have a way of conveying silliness.

Robert632

May 11, 2009
cthulhumythos said:
Robert632 said:
cthulhumythos said:

that point honestly wasn't as serious as the others. i'm not saying that it made the game worse than what it could've been if it had ganon. i just love the 'hijacked by ganon' thing. i wasn't being serious with this as a legitimate point, but sadly the internet doesn't have a way of conveying silliness.
Ah sorry. My bad. Though it is a bit confusing having it in the middle of legitimate complaints.

Keith K

Oct 29, 2009
There are things I like about it. Mostly the same things I've enjoyed about every Zelda. Definitely doesn't feel like a game from 2011. The whole motion plus aspect can fuck right off. Ultimately it's exactly the same as Twilight Princess with the ability to waggle diagonally. Pointless.

Nowhere near as good as reviews would lead me to believe. Zelda games have their own scale between 9.5 and 10 where 9.5 is fucking garbage and 10 is a successful rehash of the previous game.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Sean951 said:
Yup, almost the entire industry is scared to make fun of Zelda. I'm sure that's it.
Not sure if you got the point, but ignored it for snark, missed the point and legitimately think that's what was said, or got the point and decided to knock down a strawman instead.

itsmeyouidiot said:
The "flaws" that Mr. Crosshaw mentioned aren't flaws at all, because I did not notice them and they did not hinder my enjoyment in any way whatsoever.
Flaws neither require one specific person to notice them nor specifically hinder enjoyment.

Amazingly, a lot of people will look at flaws and say "so what, I still like the game." That doesn't mean they're not there.

Ariyura said:
You learn to turn the other cheek and move on. I loved Catherine but I can still enjoy Yahtzee's review of it. His review in no way is going to stop me from loving the game. Take it with pure entertainment value instead of a personal attack.
That's the thing, though. If you don't know Yahtzee's shtick by now, you either have some serious disability or have been living under a rock for many years. You shouldn't need to turn the other cheek. This isn't even the first Zelda game he's reviewed in this style, let alone the first game. Complaints that Yahtzee is "mean" are just ridiculous. He was "mean" before this review and will be "mean" after it. Whining about it specifically because he doesn't like is asinine.

I do agree with the whole "take it as entertainment, not a personal attack" thing. I just seriously wonder how people, especially regulars here can not have picked up on the pattern.

"If you don't have anything nice to say...." I think that may have been the most telling it. I don't think Zelda fans want a critique, even from serious reviewers. I suspect having issue with not having nice things to say is endemic of the whole "tell me my shit don't stink!" Syndrome.

But I do seriously wonder who has clicked on this review and thought "I'm sure THIS game will get Yahtzee's love...OMG! HOW COULD YOU, YAHTZEE?"

And yet, in the initial comments thread, we see more than a couple people like that, and this thread seems to have similar context.

Angry Camel

Mar 21, 2011
These were more or less the exact thoughts I had going through my head as I played Skyward Sword. I went and tried Twilight Princess again just for comparison, and haven't changed back. Collecting the tears of light is irritating, but dowsing is just so flow-breaking for me.

Skyward Sword's obsession with motion controls is really grating, especially for equiping items. Instead of just pressing a direction on the Dpad for any three items, you have to hold B and point at the one you want every single time. Having to re-centre the aim frequently is a pain. The throwing/rolling controls feel awkward.

I have no reason to really finish this game, much less defend it.

DELETETHISACCOUNT

Jan 9, 2011
I've really liked the Zelda franchise since I played LTTP on SNES. It's hard for me to pick a favorite in the series, but I must say I completely agree about Skyward Sword being shit. I was very excited when the game was released (especially since I managed to stay away from any previews of the game), but I found that I really hated the game. Other than the pirate level, it had nothing in it that was that enjoyable for me. The only two Zelda games other than SS that I didn't care for were Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks.

I may not like Skyward Sword, but I am happy that so many people are enjoying it. If you enjoy it, great! Just don't be a dick when other people don't like it too. It shouldn't change how you feel about it.

I don't necessarily agree that all Zelda games are the same though. While in a general structural sense they are, a more in-depth look reveals that many of them feel very different from one another. This isn't the case for every Zelda title (Twilight Princess), but I think titles like Wind Waker and Majora's Mask feel totally different from anything else in the series.

I think the Zelda series needs a major overhaul at this point. There has been some talk about Retro Studios developing a Zelda title. That could be really fantastic.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
C117 said:
Oh so true. Even though I personally liked Skyward Sword (at least enough to plow right through it), all the criticism Yahtzee brought up is perfectly valid, and just goes to show how the whole game feels quite padded, while at the same time being virtually linear. And this comes from a person (me) who could be quite aptly labeled a Zelda-fanboy.

Good work, Mr. Croshaw. Carry on, and happy new year.
orangeban said:
Huh, I enjoyed it, he didn't, we have different tastes and expectations from games. That's what it comes down to, that's what it *always* comes down to. Nothing else to really say.
Akichi Daikashima said:
You know what, I liked Skyward Sword, but I would never go to such lengths to defend it,
I mean, I have a friend is a Wii fanboy, and yet, he never gets angry at Yahtzee for his constant Wii bashing in his reviews.

I am also an assassin's crred fan, and even though Yahtzee says that the games are groaning W/ unnecessary s***, I still respect his opinion, and I never feel the need to rage at him.

*I did only play about 90 minutes of Skyward Sword BTW(it was at my friend's house)
Thank you guys (and anyone else who posted similar). It's really heartening to see people who say "I like it, but..." but either Yahtzee has a point and I won't pretend the game is without flaw, or but I don't need to attack him.

Specifically Akichi's post, since I like AssCreed as well. While I LOVE LOVE LOVE the series, I am prone to find flaws in it. And while I don't always agree with Yahztee (Creed vs zombies!), I'm also not going to pretend problems with the games don't exist or cry foul when he "attacks" them. In part because the criticism is legit, and in part because these reviews are intended to be humourous. Even if you don't like them, it doesn't change the intent.

Well, unless he actually went out thinking "lollllll, I'm going to make the Zelda fanboys cry today....*cue Zero Punctuation music*"

But it's weird people only seem to see malice in that game THEY like, not before or after.

Or, as I said in the comment thread for the ZP itself:

"But Yahtzee, doesn't NEED to change things up. Now go review and be sure to mock it for its sameness and lack of innovation!"

I obviously tailored it in that situation to the bit from the beginning of the video, but the same thing applies pretty much everywhere. Don't touch , but ROFL I love the way you handed <game I don't like>'s ass to it!

It's like petting a dog for barking at everyone, but acting all surprised and mad when that same dog barks at that cute girl you like.

Sorry for length of post.

kuolonen

Nov 19, 2009
Best part about Yahtzee reviewing Wii games is the state of comment section afterwards. I never get tired of it.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Keep doing what your doing Yahtzee! and Happy New Years to you too!

Thanks for giving me the ability to step back and look at a game outside the realm of fanboyism.

Like how my love for ME2 is completely irrational! or DA2 for that matter XD

Yosarian2

Jan 29, 2011
itsmeyouidiot said:
There's a common saying where I come from, it goes something like: "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." Constructive criticism is one thing, but spewing hatred and bile is another thing entirely, and it certainly isn't comedy.

Imagine that I verbally ripped everything you hold dear to shreds. How exactly would anyone in their right mind find that funny?
He's...a critic. Do you really think that movie critics or video games critics or restaurant critics should "not say anything at all" if they have a bad opinion of something? I think you're kind of missing the point of what a critic is supposed to be.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
jackpackage200 said:
I think yahtzee and i are the only people who hated this game. The game was boring and not fun at all.

EDIT: What sucks is that my friends have been giving me shit for not liking it
I haven't played it yet, but after this video I don't intend to. I've never found Zelda games (on the whole) to be that entertaining as most other people have. Hell, there are only three Zelda games I've enjoyed enough to play more than once, "Four Swords," "Majora's Mask," and "Twilight Princess." And I still prefer the first two over the latter. At least LoZ:tFSA and LoZ:MM changed up the game play a bit with mask oriented puzzles or a four-link team.

But Ocarina bores me. Twilight Princess can be fun, but not in the same way as the others. Skyward Sword looked interesting at first, but if the exploration has been shot in the foot, I don't see much point other than to see how the new villain plays out, and I can just watch a let's play for that.

Nate-ndo

Apr 28, 2011
Before I watched his review, I told my girlfriend that Yahtzee was going to hate Skyward Sword, and his chief complaints would be motion controls, the graphics, the game structure, and the fact that it has the same ur-narrative (save Zelda). I said he then usually goes, "Look how mad Nintendo fanboys are! I must be correct!" Either this is some sort of clever meta-criticism where Yahtzee makes the same review over and over, or he's become more predictable than a Nintendo game.

That said I fully respect anyone and everyone's right to dislike a game that I personally enjoyed, so hate away.

p.s. I love the reviews faulting the controls--I played 43 hours and didn't have a single misread action or injury due to lag. I'd love to know how this is possible if they're even half as terrible as claimed (here, GameSpot, etc.)

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
SPOILERS

cthulhumythos said:
one of my main complaints is that about 80% of this game is just busywork. wanna go to the water dungeon? go backtrack to the first dungeon and get some water at the end. there was simply way too much retracing. also the lack of ganon. i was really hoping he was behind it all, because at this point i laugh whenever that happens.
Why? I think it was kind of refreshing Ganon has little to do with the events of this game at all. From what I've read about it, this game is actually his origin, in a sense of speaking. Check this wiki article if you don't believe me. http://www.zeldawiki.org/Demise#Background

Granted, I'm a little annoyed that this makes Ganon less special. It's more like he's a pawn in Demise's grand plan or something. Again, I like that we see what causes Ganon to exist, but I don't like what it is. I was hoping something a little more... i dunno... crazy.

No. I feel like the remake of Ocarina of Time for the 3DS was a terribly stupid idea and to make Majora's Mask for the 3DS would be an equally stupid idea, perhaps more so. We (as in Yahtzee, myself, and probably many others) already feel like Zelda doesn't innovate enough to be truly amazing like the fanboys say. Remaking Ocarina only reinforces that notion as that is the game that seems to be copy-pasted the most. And while Majora's Mask was, indeed, unique, to remake it would only undermine that uniqueness. I would like to see a similar unique title brought to the modern console generation, but I don't want the same thing every time. And I especially don't want to be charged $40 for what amounts to nothing more than a graphical upgrade. (Yes, I'm looking at you too, Halo Anniversary... even though I let that slide because that was literally made for the fans and nothing else).

But that's my two cents on the matter. Take what you will out of it.