Square Enix Dusts Off Final Fantasy X for PS3 Remake

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Interesting. While FFX isn't my favorite in the FF games I've played, I thought it was still a good game in it's own right.

Of course I still have my copy, so I probably won't be getting this PS3 remake. I just wish that Kingdom Hearts 3 was announced already.
unacomn said:
Do you head that? That's the sound of The Spoony One screaming in horror.
All we need now is an HD remake of FF8 and his sanity will crumble.

Firemedicine

Jul 28, 2010
Well, I for one won't be spending another 200 hours clearing and rebuilding the sphere grid to get max stats and every item (Wakka's celestial anyone?). So unless it has a New Game + from my ps2 memory card I won't be needing the remake.

bificommander

Apr 19, 2010
I have to ask about the 'it's cheap to make' argument. I don't know what they did with the HD remake of God of War that was mentioned, but won't they have to make completely new models and textures anyway? Or will they use the old models and just crank up the anti-aliasing and call it a day? That would be cheaper, but it would be a pretty pointless remake. They might as well re-release VII with the same graphics then, if all you're buying is a compatibility update, and maybe a better video and audio compression.

Zetsubou-Sama

Mar 31, 2010
goldendriger said:
Zetsubou-Sama said:
One of the best in the series gets a remake, best turn based combat, one of the best scripts, best soundtracks, and a fun sphere grid.

I can get behind that. Way more than I would for VII remade.

Are you fuckin' nuts?! FFX was one of the worst!
That's the funny thing about opinions, everyone has one.

I personally consider VII to be full of shallow one dimensional characters, cliche ridden script, and full of plot holes, with a ever so slightly heavy handed moral, and I disliked the Materia system, neither fun and easily exploited, where VIII had at least a fun if exploitable system.

Also: I enjoyed the art design, and while the voice acting was grating at moments, the amount of depth and work that went into the script, story, and character arcs outshines most if not all FF's except for VI or Ix.

So yeah, just my opinion.

Do you want to hear me talk about X-2 which I also considered a good game even though it had all the flashy j-pop vibe going on?

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
Of all the... If they'd... WHATINTHEF-

Urge to kill rising. (Not hating on X, just the fact that out of all that they chose to remake, it was this one.)

They just can't be bothered to build a world map any more. Even one they've already done. This just seems completely unnecessary to me.

Sahasrala88

Jul 4, 2011
The reason they are remaking it is simple. It will be easy to update the graphics to PS3 standards and Final Fantasy Fanboys/Fangirls will buy anything with "Final Fantasy" smeared on the front. Yeah I know the game was one of Enix's big sellers, but that doesn't make it a good game. The Transformer films have made tons of money, but as movies go they're horribly made films. It's the same with FFX. The game sold well, but it's really just an over hyped and mediocre game. The story has tons of plot holes, the characters are either unlikable or complete idiots, and the plot twist is stupid. It's just a cash in for the company, just like all of the other HD remakes.

I can understand that some people might still enjoy the game in terms of the battle system and basic gameplay, but I am baffled when some people claim that FFX is some crowning achievement of the RPG genre. For me, if the story is weak or completely incoherent it's impossible for me to get into the game.

For those who want to hear a blow by blow account of the atrocities of this game see The Spoony One: http://spoonyexperiment.com/category/game-reviews/final-fantasy-x/

thatman

Feb 16, 2011
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU, goddammit. Ok, so i don't care too much about FF remakes (i.e. i'm fine with ff7 as it is) but the LAST game i wanted to be remade in nice and shiny HD was FFX. The story took ages to really take off, the voice acting was diabolically bad and it was MORE linear than FF13 (which makes me wonder why FFX is considered a masterpiece while FF13 is derided so much). The only saving grace was the above average combat system and sphere grid which barely made the horrible characters and story bearable. I know this is a very douchey rant but i hate how FFX gets so much praise and attention when i honestly thing the only saving grace is the in-combat gameplay (which is still bested by the persona games and even dragonquest.)

Artemicion

Need superslick, Kupo.
Dec 7, 2009
YES
YES
YES [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1hDmVaz3Vk]
YES
YES
This is the greatest news of all time, yes.

No really, best day of my life is quite possibly today.

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
While X is great, I'd much prefer VI or IX, honestly. VII was good, but it's really quite overrated; it's really just a retread of VI, with the exact same plot, but not told as well.
I'm just sayin'.

House_Vet

Dec 27, 2009
Zetsubou-Sama said:
goldendriger said:
Zetsubou-Sama said:
One of the best in the series gets a remake, best turn based combat, one of the best scripts, best soundtracks, and a fun sphere grid.

I can get behind that. Way more than I would for VII remade.

Are you fuckin' nuts?! FFX was one of the worst!
That's the funny thing about opinions, everyone has one.

I personally consider VII to be full of shallow one dimensional characters, cliche ridden script, and full of plot holes, with a ever so slightly heavy handed moral, and I disliked the Materia system, neither fun and easily exploited, where VIII had at least a fun if exploitable system.

Also: I enjoyed the art design, and while the voice acting was grating at moments, the amount of depth and work that went into the script, story, and character arcs outshines most if not all FF's except for VI or Ix.

So yeah, just my opinion.

Do you want to hear me talk about X-2 which I also considered a good game even though it had all the flashy j-pop vibe going on?
Pretty much this - I actually loved X - and somewhat against my better judgement, X-2. Tidus was exceedingly irritating, but actually, that kinda made him more genuine for me, and the central romance (surely the point of the whole game) really struck a chord I liked the sound of. I liked the art style, I LOVED the music (hymns of the fayth especially) and I liked the sphere grid although I was a little young to maximise the game's potential at the time. I would love the chance for another playthrough and it looks like I'm gonna get it =).

jurnag12

Nov 9, 2009
Well, crap. Who asked for a X remake over FFVI?!

unacomn said:
Do you head that? That's the sound of The Spoony One screaming in horror.
Shouldn't we go help him?

Sep 14, 2009
Dead Raen said:
YES
YES
YES
YES
YES
This is the greatest news of all time, yes.

No really, best day of my life is quite possibly today.
i think you mean this..

which i will tune in and say i agree also

still...fucking cashing in here a bit don't ya think squeenix? you could've/should've done ff6/7/8/9 before doing 10, even though all your going to do is a hd upgrade

Xaio30

Nov 24, 2010
I'd hate to say it... but I would actually prefer FF7 to be remade instead of this crap.

From Spoony, with love.

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
Ehh... personally I think remakes are bloody stupid. I liked FFX quite alot, but I think if I really wanted to play it again, i'd just fire up my PS2 and do so.

Artemicion

Need superslick, Kupo.
Dec 7, 2009
gmaverick019 said:
i think you mean this..

which i will tune in and say i agree also

still...fucking cashing in here a bit don't ya think squeenix? you could've/should've done ff6/7/8/9 before doing 10, even though all your going to do is a hd upgrade
That is exactly what I mean, my good man.

Catie Caraco

Jun 27, 2011
sephiroth1991 said:
<Looks at User-Name> Some day Some day.
This. I just.. I don't even know what to say. *pats on the back* I hesitate to mention this, but back in the day I used Aeris screen names.

Please don't impale me with a 6 foot long katana. T_T