Stan Lee on "Black Spider-Man"

Generic_Dave

Prelate Invigilator
Jul 15, 2009
ANYONE is better than Tobey Maguire...I'd rather see a blow up doll in the Spider suit than feel the Maguire pain again.

Crazy_Bird

Oct 21, 2009
Orhid said:
I barley withstand Nick Fury but Spider Man would be last straw.
But the film Nick Fury is based on the ultimate universe (in fact the only character so far) and this incarnation was black. In fact he was modelled after Samuel L. Jackson.

That's why I think that Nick Fury does not count regarding racial equality. Yet the Kingpin does and no one complained back then.

clicketycrack

Apr 6, 2009
I'm against spontaneously changing any characters race. Be it from white to black or black to white or whatever. That's why I disliked the Nick Fury thing (also because I have an irrational hatred of Samual L. Jackson). I didn't really like them changing the kingpin's race either, but I still thought he was a really good kingpin. It was just the rest of the Daredevil movie that was awful.

Edit: Also, I don't really like the black Fury because unlike most of the people that have mentioned it, I DID grow up with the original Fury. My dad had a metric shitload of the old Howling Commandos comics that I used to read when I was ten and fat.

One last thing: I at least demand cigar.

lucky_bob45

Sep 4, 2008
the issue isn't as much race as it is cultural perception. many have mentioned the change in nick fury had been preceded in the "Ultimate" and it worked because they didnt just change his race, to make in an appropriate age he went from being a World war 2 veteran to a Vietnam war veteran, in the 60s war vets were largely portrayed as white guys with crew cuts and a cigar.
Vietnam war films introduced the "grizzled black" (usually sergeant) soldier character (who oddly, often also enjoyed a cigar) and they became a large part of cultural perception. this fitted the new nick fury variant.

cultural perception still draws the image of "uber nerd" as a whiter than white guy. is it basically stereotyping? yes. but its also how characters are developed and generally it how film studios think.

personally i don't care if spidey is or isn't black, as long as the story is faithful to the comic and i don't think a change of skin colour is enough to change that.

VoidAndrogyne

Jan 14, 2010
Yeah, and in Earth-70105 Peter Parker's the Hulk.
And in 2149 he's a zombie.
The reboot will involve a whole new universe with it's own quirks.

And actually, in Spider-Man 2099 he's Mexican.

Vohn_exel

Residential Idiot
Oct 24, 2008
Glademaster said:
F-I-D-O said:
Glademaster said:
Can we not leave characters they race they are in the comics. I am sick of people not choosing people that don't suit the role they are in. Also for anyone who thinks it is because he is going to be black I would be just as pissed if it was any other race or if a black super hero was being portrayed as another race eg Spiderman=White, Nick Fury=White, Green Lantern=Black, Storm=Black, Wolverine=White. Just stick with the bloody race they are supposed to be. I mean for fuck sake in some cases it changes the entire story of characters on that point why can't movies be true to comics like in Spiderman 3 they should of
shot Venom symbiote off into space instead of making it go boom(if I remember movie right).

Also while I am on this the casting of Venom in Spiderman 3 was very, very, very poor. I do like the actor but he could of put on some muscle dammit!!!
Green lantern is white. Always has been.

Plus, he's DC
[sub]that costume though, that is just wrong[/sub]
Ok I forgot Green Lanturn has changed person so that was a bad example but there has been atleast 1 black Green Lanturn which if they made a movie of I thought they might go with but it could be any of them really.
I'm a big fan of Green Lantern, and the one you just showed was Alan Scott, who is actually the Sentinel as his powers come from a different source. There was a black Green Lantern, his name was John Stewart. Because of that, I'd have no problem if they made a movie with him in it as Green Lantern. However, I'd PREFER they go with one of the originals first if they're going to be making a movie about it (which they are) as in Hal Jordan or Alan Scott.

Shows like the Justice League can get away with it rather easy because the storyline is already established and we're not starting at "the beginning" of any of those characters, so it's fine to have it take place where any of the GL's can fit in. That being said, I've never been a big fan of John Stewart. He seems to have tons of willpower (and is apparently the best flier) but he doesn't seem to have as much in the way of imagination as either Hal or Kyle. Then again, my favorite was Kyle and he was an artist, so maybe I'm just being biased, lol.

Southpaw Samurai

Mar 2, 2010
To those so adamantly against having anything but a white Spider-man because they should stick to the 'storyline', please explain to me what part of the Spider-man/Peter Parker mythos is race-specific.

Some characters have backstories that tend to fit only certain groups (for Captain America being a WW2 poster boy soldier, Thor being a Scandinavian god, Black Panther being an African prince, Apache Chief being... well, a poorly conceived character), but Peter's only important mark is that he's an earnest nerd. His family, where he grew up, his being the target for insults from cooler kids, etc, are all very generic (in fact, one of the most generic). He even has a generic name (unlike, say, someone named Sven Stenstrom) that wouldn't have to be changed whether he's white or black).

Peter's an urban NYC nerd. That can easily make him white, black, hispanic, Asian, Middle Eastern, or a mix. Heck, outside of the names, he could even be a she. It really makes no difference to just about any part of his backstory, his supporting cast (most of whom could be of any race as well), or his villains as far as I can tell and I would like someone to point out where it would impact anything aside from 'what we're used to' (which is also the point Mr.Lee seems to be making).

To me, Spider-man is the costume over Peter's skin and the heart and soul beneath that skin.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
They don't go far enough i say.

Make spiderman black AND a woman. Mary Jane becomes Marty Juan.

Then they should reboot the xmen franchise too and switch everyone's gender and race, that will REALLY mess with people's heads.
Genius!

dragontiers

The Temporally Displaced
Feb 26, 2009
I don't have a problem with Spider-Man being black, per se, but I file having him played by a black actor the same way I would a black actor playing a historical figure that was white, like say John F. Kennedy or Elvis, or a white actor playing a historical figure that was black like Hank Aaron or Mr. T (okay, not the best examples, but you get my point). It's more of an "Oooookay..." moment.

Ghostkai

Jun 14, 2008
In both main stream and Ultimate universe, Spidey is white. Blah blah blah political correctness whatever! Spiderman is white. Nick Fury I can let slide because the Ultimate Fury is based on Samuel L. Jackson.

VoidAndrogyne

Jan 14, 2010
Ghostkai said:
In both main stream and Ultimate universe, Spidey is white. Blah blah blah political correctness whatever! Spiderman is white. Nick Fury I can let slide because the Ultimate Fury is based on Samuel L. Jackson.
http://marvel.wikia.com/Alternate_Universe

Doomsday11

Apr 15, 2010
Will I enjoy ultimate Nick fury as much as the next guy and I'd loath to stop someone from auditioning simply due to skin color,I think I'm gonna have to copy what everyone else is saying and put that the characters to well established for this to work.

Walkchalk

Nov 9, 2009
I feel that if they want to change the main characters race they should change his name. To me Peter Parker has ALWAYS been white. Its really not Spiderman it seems people are worried about being black, its Peter, and I have to say I agree with that. If hey renamed him to... well anything really I would be fine with it, but it just seems so wrong to have Peter Parker be black somehow.

FortheLegion

Dec 16, 2008
Peter Parker gets bitten by a radioactive black guy
Thus gaining all of their sunburn resistant powers

SpaceCop

Feb 14, 2010
Donald Glover has that earnest, good-natured, geeky thing going for him, and he's been good in his roles so far. I think he'd do the part justice.

Byrn Stuff

Nov 16, 2009
I'm for it. I think it'd be interesting, and Glover has been saying for years that despite appearances he is a huge nerd, so I think in many ways his personality suits the role. Parker's a nerd that demonstrates wit and cockiness after donning his mask. Glover's a nerd that exhibits wit and general humor on stage and in sketches. As long as they don't make it into a Blacksploitation movie, I'm eager to how he well he could do.

F-I-D-O

I miss my avatar
Feb 18, 2010
lucky_bob45 said:
the issue isn't as much race as it is cultural perception. many have mentioned the change in nick fury had been preceded in the "Ultimate" and it worked because they didnt just change his race, to make in an appropriate age he went from being a World war 2 veteran to a Vietnam war veteran, in the 60s war vets were largely portrayed as white guys with crew cuts and a cigar.
Vietnam war films introduced the "grizzled black" (usually sergeant) soldier character (who oddly, often also enjoyed a cigar) and they became a large part of cultural perception. this fitted the new nick fury variant.

cultural perception still draws the image of "uber nerd" as a whiter than white guy. is it basically stereotyping? yes. but its also how characters are developed and generally it how film studios think.

personally i don't care if spidey is or isn't black, as long as the story is faithful to the comic and i don't think a change of skin colour is enough to change that.
If they stuck with the original, Nick Fury had some chemical (if the Marvel encyclopedia is to be believed) that made him age slower, allowing the original Nick to be head of S.H.I.E.L.D.
The age thing could have worked out with the original Nick.