"That's Not a Real Job"

chikusho

Jun 14, 2011
Who cares if a job is real or not if you can make a living out of it.
Hell, this guy is making paper just fucking wearing t-shirts: http://www.iwearyourshirt.com/

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
Whatever honest work earns you your daily bread is absolutely a "real" job and I won't hear otherwise.

I used to get this from some of the developers I worked with. "You're just doing the automated testing. Get to work on the "real work" you were assigned."

Conveniently forgetting that their sloppy ass code was the whole reason I had to run bi-weekly automated tests.

Zeke63

Jul 10, 2012
Diddy_Mao said:
Whatever honest work earns you your daily bread is absolutely a "real" job and I won't hear otherwise.

I used to get this from some of the developers I worked with. "You're just doing the automated testing. Get to work on the "real work" you were assigned."

Conveniently forgetting that their sloppy ass code was the whole reason I had to run bi-weekly automated tests.
what is an automated test versus what they say is your "actual" purpose?

Aug 1, 2010
It's just people trying to feel superior to you by undervaluing what you do.

Same thing happens everywhere.

Well THAT'S not a real video game! You haven't died in the last 30 seconds!

THAT'S not real sex, you payed for it!

You didn't watch a REAL movie! It didn't have gay French people pretentiously eating pudding!

It's all the same nonsense.
Every definition of everything was essentially made up. Only you can decide how something is defined.

Requia

Apr 4, 2013
piinyouri said:
I got this a lot when I worked at a movie rental store.
They're sore at you for having a job that's not breaking your ass at a factory for 40 hours a week and still making good money.
It's bullshit, ignore it. : D
I'd say that its not a real job because I'd expect you got paid jack all, with statistically impossible odds of being promoted to the point you make a living wage.

Though you imply you made good money, in which case go for it.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
The only job I've seen that I would classify as "not a real job" is Careers Advisor. My Careers Advisor at highschool outsourced the one task he had to do all year - setting up and monitoring work experience - to the English staff somehow.

But jokes aside, if you provide a good or service that people are willing to pay for, you have a real job. Art in particular. If they could do better themselves, or if it's something that isn't worthwhile, no-one would buy art and there would be no jobs to be had. They're paying for your creativity. Now, if you're just going to splash paint around from the can and pretend it means something, I wouldn't pay for that, but if someone would then it has value to them.

Bocaj2000 said:
Who gives a shit what "a fast majority of people" think?
That made my day, a 'fast majority'...

johnnyLupine

Nov 19, 2008
x-Tomfoolery-x said:
Yeah, my brother says stupid shit like that.
What is a real job? Hell, what's a "fake" job then?
Doesn't matter. At the very least, only two or three things are important. One, you have a roof over your head.
Two, you have enough food to live. And three, you enjoy what you do. Why spend 40 hours or more a week doing something you potentially loathe? Anything can be a job.
Professional buscing, or whatever its called. When I was on the dole I overheard a guy complaining to his friend at the job centre about how little money people had given him. It bugged me that he was clearly willing to waste time playing music for next to no money all day when he could have spent it actually looking for work. It seemed as though they were abusing the system so that they could continue to make next to nothing for enjoying their hobby. I can certainly understand that they may have been playing on the street to supplement their income rather than the other way around but im still going to treat such individuals as guilty until proven innocent.

shrimpcel

Sep 5, 2011
King Aragorn said:
gmaverick019 said:
eh while i think the entertainment industry is way over valued sometimes in terms of how much some people make, they are all DEFINITELY real jobs

(and don't quote me with "blah blah people are willing to pay blah blah" crap, i understand all of it, doesn't mean i have to like it.)
Well then, may I ask why don't you like it? I don't see what's wrong with that myself.
Jamieson 90 said:
I get this all the time off my brother who's in finance and banking. "Teaching isn't a real job and you need to get in the real world."

My response:

"Yeah well at least teachers contribute to society rather than ruining our economy."
Hmm...I wonder who teached him finance and banking...
Oh wait, teachers!
Teachers are among the most important members of every society. I can't believe anyone would seriously call it "not a real job."

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Requia said:
piinyouri said:
I got this a lot when I worked at a movie rental store.
They're sore at you for having a job that's not breaking your ass at a factory for 40 hours a week and still making good money.
It's bullshit, ignore it. : D
I'd say that its not a real job because I'd expect you got paid jack all, with statistically impossible odds of being promoted to the point you make a living wage.

Though you imply you made good money, in which case go for it.
How does money earned constitute whether or not it's a 'real' job?
I got up, I worked, I got paid.
That is a job.

Requia

Apr 4, 2013
piinyouri said:
That is a job.
Your ability to be financially independent is pretty damned relevant.

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
Acutally there is such a thing as a fake job...

YouTube Vblogger's.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Requia said:
piinyouri said:
That is a job.
Your ability to be financially independent is pretty damned relevant.
Which I was, but how does even that factor into it honestly?
You know what, put me on ignore or don't respond at all.
I can tell this is going to end up with me killing myself over the stupidity and ignorance of others.
Also, yes please go ahead and report me.
I know it will make you feel better.

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
How you feel about your job is only thing that matters in this sense. But for example I heard some graphic designers complain that their job feels completely useless, they liked what they did and made money but they just felt that making company logos doesn't contribute much to society.

Dr. Doomsduck

Nov 24, 2011
Vausch said:
You ever get someone that tells you that? I got an argument with someone that says art isn't a real job because there's no physical labour involved, and nobody should charge more than 10 dollars for a drawing. Needless to say many erupted at him, but I've heard this about almost every job that involves entertainment or the like.

All I hear from it is "Stop enjoying your work and have a miserable job like mine". I mean, what is a "real" job? I perform a service, people are willing to pay for it, I get paid. Is it not a real job because I enjoy doing it?
Because it's not a real job.

It's ART. Which is WAY better than a real job. Man, art is the stuff we'll be remembered by, it's culture, in a nutshell. Everything we do, everything we are, is displayed by art. How much of history is defined by the images people made?

Just because I can't eat art (well, sometimes it's edible), or because I can't utilize it in my life (again, not completely true) doesn't mean it shouldn't exist.

A good painting, or a well-told story, or beautiful music makes people feel. It tears us away from drab everyday living and gives us a sense of escapism.

You might have noticed...I'm a fan.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Yup, can't stand people like that. I wanted to be a writer since I was very young, and since then my parents have done their best to beat it out of me. "You'll need a job that will actually make you money", they said very often. I then wanted to become an English professor, but no, "You better just graduate from college with that four year degree and get a job now to pay off that debt, because going to college longer to be a professor will just add more money to that debt and you won't be able to get a job as one when you are out, because I heard it is real hard."

So now being guilt tripped into it, I'm now stuck taking care of my "sick" mother(don't get me started on that on), working a part time job at a home improvement store, because that is all I can get with a four year English degree with no specialty skills to make it go places(the little packet that college career centers give out that are suppose to show what a person can do with a plain English degree, are wrong out of touch shit).

On the other end of the spectrum I can't stand the younger people today who think that they shouldn't have to work hard at a job that so many others would be glad to take to at least get some money coming in.

In the past couple months at the home improvement store where I work(morning stock 5 to 9, five days a week, all stocking jobs are part time most places now), we've had to different young guys 19 to 21, around that age, get hired and they lasted all of a month each. Because we were working them oh so hard, and both had the nerve to ask for more hours as they also complained that they work worked to hard by our managers. Boo-hoo, give me a break.

Kroxile

Oct 14, 2010
Meh, I get the same shit because I work management at McDonald's. My girlfriend holds the same position at another store and we make enough money to afford a place to live, food in our bellies, two vehicles and insurance on both, and at least one new $60 video game every month. Not to mention all the lavish and "unnecessary" stuff we already have paid off and own. I have never received a government check, never begged, and I have always repaid my debts (usually $20 here or there for gas from my mom or some such :p). So really, fuck em. You aren't a parasite on society, leeching off other tax-payers and that should be good enough for them.

Aramis Night said:
I'm not in debt to anyone for anything(something credit agencies seem to despise. Whenever they run a background check on my credit it comes out with a bad credit score because its blank). I live within my means and have been given no handouts, or benefits of any kind.
I agree, its bullshit that you can't get anything on credit because you don't owe someone money. You'd think that if anything it'd make credit agencies more confident in the fact that will pay them back.. but whatever.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
I work on youtube for a living and I constantly get told that's not a "real" job.

Why? Because the end result is fun? Just because something is fun doesn't mean work doesn't go into it. I've spent over 5 hours working on 10 seconds of footage before.

My response is generally to ask if working at a fast food place is a "real" job, to which I've never received the answer "no."

So working at a fast food place is a real job. To make 10 dollars have to stand at a cash register and relay the message of what kind of burger somebody wants 20-30 times.

To make 10 dollars I have to entertain roughly 10 thousand people, give or take.

If I spend 12 hours working on a video and it gets 50,000 views, even if I've spent no money in making it (which is almost never the case) then I've worked more hours than a full time job for less than minimum wage. I've entertained thousands of people. You've helped feed a few hundred grease. Which one of us is making a bigger impact on society? Food for thought.

RonHiler

Sep 16, 2004
Try being a game developer. I get that comment in spades. I've learned to blow it off, but for a while, it really used to annoy me.