"That's Not a Real Job"

bigwon

Jan 29, 2011
The way I see it our general society is more of an illusion then anything. A status-quo of a society that isn't going any were, and is arguably detrimental to any standard of living and sustainability of the planet is not something i care much for.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
CrossLOPER said:
Yopaz said:
CrossLOPER said:
Yopaz said:
There are people managing to live quite well by begging.
Source, please.
This comes from personal experience so sadly I can't provide you with any good sources here. You might not believe it, but it happens.

Now you ignored my question there. Let's say that hypothetically some people manage to get by from begging. Is that a real job? You know, if you had answered that question to begin with you wouldn't have had a low content post, just saying.
OK. It's not a real job, because it is not a job; it's fraud.
Fraud? I don't exactly get deceived into thinking I'll get a return if I give a beggar some money. Things are crystal clear - you give a beggar money, you know you're not seeing it again. There's no deception. So it can't be fraud.

Sep 14, 2009
CrossLOPER said:
Most of the beggars I've seen are emaciated and sometimes clearly addicts. This is romanticizing a hideous existence based on a handful of individuals.
oh yes, sorry not trying to dismiss your point, i just saw you asked for a source and i knew that there WAS something out there that i had read/seen before, so just was adding some feedback :p

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
Aramis Night said:
snip
I'm not in debt to anyone for anything(something credit agencies seem to despise. Whenever they run a background check on my credit it comes out with a bad credit score because its blank). I live within my means and have been given no handouts, or benefits of any kind.
snip
I am bugging my congressmen and representatives, to pass legislation to automatically give good credit points to people every year they do not have debt. Trying to get others to join me.

I am thinking about getting more involved in politics just to bug people to fix problems like this. It is good too see other fiscal conservatives out there (Note: I said FISCAL, just nipping the dozen people hating on me for saying the "C" word)

General Vagueness

Feb 24, 2009
I think part of this reaction (the initial one, not the one going on in this thread) comes from how there's still a lot of respect for and appreciation of manual labor and things that are physically difficult. I think for the most part those deserve a certain respect and everyone that's able should know what doing things like that is like. I think it's also somewhat respect and appreciation for things that are highly intellectually difficult, or at least are considered to be, like being doctor or a lawyer.

IrishSkullpanda

Aug 8, 2012
I don't earn enough money to live alone, financially speaking, and am dependant on my parents at this stage in life until I can find even more work.

I currently hold two jobs, and get next to no hours for both.

Do I tell people I don't have a job? Hell the fuck no. I work two jobs and they both aren't good enough for me to be independant. Doesn't mean they aren't "real."

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
If only you got paid scaled on how much you hated your job, I'd quit game design and work as a dishwasher or something and get 100 grand a year. The ideal world, eh.

Aramis Night

Mar 31, 2013
Gilhelmi said:
Aramis Night said:
snip
I'm not in debt to anyone for anything(something credit agencies seem to despise. Whenever they run a background check on my credit it comes out with a bad credit score because its blank). I live within my means and have been given no handouts, or benefits of any kind.
snip
I am bugging my congressmen and representatives, to pass legislation to automatically give good credit points to people every year they do not have debt. Trying to get others to join me.

I am thinking about getting more involved in politics just to bug people to fix problems like this. It is good too see other fiscal conservatives out there (Note: I said FISCAL, just nipping the dozen people hating on me for saying the "C" word)
I would love it if my lack of debt would reflect well on my credit score. But i don't think that passing laws is the answer. It just shows that credit scores are less of an indication of risk and more an indication of potential profit for lending agencies. If you do not have debt and are driven to stay debt free, than any lenders you deal with don't stand to make much money on interest dealing with you and have no incentive to do so.

One solution i would like to see is credit scores being information beyond the reach of any businesses that are not lenders and only with your permission to obtain a loan or credit. Living within your means could in some fields actually cost you promotions because some employers do credit checks.

Oh and don't worry. I'm not offended by the notion of being related to fiscal conservatism. My positions are varied, but i'll admit that fiscal conservatives have a lot of good points. I'll take that as a compliment :)

A.A.K

Mar 7, 2009
Binnsyboy said:
OT: If you do something, and are paid for it, and it is neither illegal nor the act of receiving benefits/welfare, then you, my friend, have a job.
I disagree. You can do illegal things and it be a job. It's just illegal.
If you make your money pit-fighting, you have a job. It's 'Pit Fighter'. It's just not legal.
If you launder money, you have a job. It's 'Financial Decorator'... or 'Money Launderer'. It's a job, it's just not legal.

I suppose though you've just got to be ethically broken to go down that road.

OT: Yup. I got told that about teaching people how to fight. Of all things. My response was to give him the finger and say 'Come at me then.' I don't give too much of a shit about the opinions of society and the people therein.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
King Aragorn said:
gmaverick019 said:
eh while i think the entertainment industry is way over valued sometimes in terms of how much some people make, they are all DEFINITELY real jobs

(and don't quote me with "blah blah people are willing to pay blah blah" crap, i understand all of it, doesn't mean i have to like it.)
Well then, may I ask why don't you like it? I don't see what's wrong with that myself.
Jamieson 90 said:
I get this all the time off my brother who's in finance and banking. "Teaching isn't a real job and you need to get in the real world."

My response:

"Yeah well at least teachers contribute to society rather than ruining our economy."
Hmm...I wonder who teached him finance and banking...
Oh wait, teachers!
And who makes sure there's a financial system and a pension for the teachers? Let's not forget here that cogs don't turn well without oil, no matter how precisely they fit.

Alandoril

Jul 19, 2010
Well, going by the impression I get from game developers they certainly seem to think that writing isn't a real job.

Currently I work in a pharmacy dispensing medication to people who need it to control problematic conditions, yet I earn £6000 a year whilst someone who kicks a ball around a field can earn £600,000 a week. Not saying I should earn that much because no one, no matter what they do, should. But it is evidence that capitalism is entirely broken.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
CrossLOPER said:
Yopaz said:
CrossLOPER said:
Yopaz said:
Source, please.
This comes from personal experience so sadly I can't provide you with any good sources here. You might not believe it, but it happens.

Now you ignored my question there. Let's say that hypothetically some people manage to get by from begging. Is that a real job? You know, if you had answered that question to begin with you wouldn't have had a low content post, just saying.
OK. It's not a real job, because it is not a job; it's fraud.

gmaverick019 said:
CrossLOPER said:
Yopaz said:
Source, please.
just one of many

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/23/shane-warren-speegle-says_n_1694577.html

i can't remember the show, but they followed this guy home one day and he walked into his house with a fucking bmw convertible out front.

you'd be surprised in which cities beggars can make some bank in.
Most of the beggars I've seen are emaciated and sometimes clearly addicts. This is romanticizing a hideous existence based on a handful of individuals.
Then don't forget that sometimes one isn't homeless because they have no house; they're homeless because they're too coked out or drunk to find it. My brother was this, til we figured out where he went.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
Alandoril said:
Well, going by the impression I get from game developers they certainly seem to think that writing isn't a real job.

Currently I work in a pharmacy dispensing medication to people who need it to control problematic conditions, yet I earn £6000 a year whilst someone who kicks a ball around a field can earn £600,000 a week. Not saying I should earn that much because no one, no matter what they do, should. But it is evidence that capitalism is entirely broken.
And for all the people willing to pay for the tickets, we should confiscate that money? Keep in mind, that may be nearly a 99% tax, which no country in its right mind would be willing to pass. Supply and demand can only be thwarted artificially through suppression, confiscation, and redistribution. Is capitalism broken, or is it a mirror of society itself, which doesn't know what it should value?

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
My dad is always saying that because I get paid minimum wage. He always talks about someday when I get a "real" job blah blah blah. My response is always the same. I'm not being paid in monopoly money. If you're earning real money, then you have a real job.

However, if people are saying that because you're job is artistic then that's doubly retarded, would you say Johnny Depp doesn't have a real job? How about Paul McCartney? After all they don't do anything society inherently needs.

Latinidiot

Feb 19, 2009
I never get that shit, as I am still studying. what will happen is that people ask me, with a tone of disgust and superiority in their voice what one can actually 'do' with physics. I tell them that I can do nigh everything, and understand the mysteries of the universe. That shuts them down pretty well, moste of the time.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
Jamieson 90 said:
I get this all the time off my brother who's in finance and banking. "Teaching isn't a real job and you need to get in the real world."

My response:

"Yeah well at least teachers contribute to society rather than ruining our economy."
Then again, neither does the finance or banking industry. Only misuse of the finance and banking industries by both corporations AND the customers. Funny how the customer bit always gets left out when people moan, no accountability nowadays.

OT - As someone working in a professional service industry, I get paid above average to tell people what to do, to eat fancy meals, and travel a lot. Prior to this role I worked my arse off as a bar manager, physically and mentally. I got paid less than half what I do now, but worked over double the hours. However, my current role has an impact on businesses and the nations economy, and decisions I make can be pretty damn important.

So, which one is "less of a job"? My current one because I don't break myself working and live something of a fancy life, or my last one because ultimately it was less important on a national and global scale?

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Alandoril said:

Not broken, just weird. Pay has nothing to do with the value of the service you provide and everything to do with how replaceable you are. Basically capitalism is all about leverage. It's ugly but the system works.

Things like the housing collapse of 08 are signs that capitalism is broken.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
Aramis Night said:
Gilhelmi said:
Aramis Night said:
snip
snip

I would love it if my lack of debt would reflect well on my credit score. But i don't think that passing laws is the answer. It just shows that credit scores are less of an indication of risk and more an indication of potential profit for lending agencies. If you do not have debt and are driven to stay debt free, than any lenders you deal with don't stand to make much money on interest dealing with you and have no incentive to do so.

One solution i would like to see is credit scores being information beyond the reach of any businesses that are not lenders and only with your permission to obtain a loan or credit. Living within your means could in some fields actually cost you promotions because some employers do credit checks.

Oh and don't worry. I'm not offended by the notion of being related to fiscal conservatism. My positions are varied, but i'll admit that fiscal conservatives have a lot of good points. I'll take that as a compliment :)
The "bad credit rating" is more to do with the fact you can't consistently prove that you can pay back within your means, rather than profit making. Some people who massively borrow can have a great credit rating, as can people who borrow very little - the rating isn't dependent on size of debt, or potential profit, but the risk of you taking out a first time loan and never being able to pay it back because you're not used to it (or you already have allocated your monthly renumeration, like salary).

A really simple way to boost your credit rating would be to get a minimal charge credit card and spend maybe £10 or so a month on it, paying the debt off immediately so it doesn't accrue any interest. As credit rating systems are mostly automated, this will begin to eventually give you a great rating as a reliable lender. It's easier said than done though, and don't use the credit card for anything more than this - those things are also the easiest way to get a bad credit rating through abuse of the card. It's far too tempting when you are stuck for money or in an awkward situation to use them beyond what you can safely pay back

Angie7F

WiseGurl
Nov 11, 2011
I get that from a lot of people because i make a life off of j-pop idols and games.
Well, i just think it sucks to be you because I can be a nerd/ geek and make a living where as everyone else has to go to a office in business attire and do stuff they dont even really care for if it were not their job.