The Official Fallout 3 Thread.

searanox

Sep 22, 2008
jamesc said:
Damn, I think I killed all the traders... Anybody know where I can get some ammo? Buying it, I mean, I know I can search around but I only have 3 points of luck so scavenger is out of the question, and I'm level nineteen so I cant upgrade that with intense training... So far I've killed moria, flak & shrapnell, pretty much everyone in paradise falls, megaton, rivet city and Tenprnny tower... Can anybody help? Also, what the fuck? I cant continue after the end? Good thing I had an old save file...
The roving trader caravans and random encounter Scavengers are a good source. Aside from that, you're probably out of luck. There is a downside to killing everyone you see...

Just a note, if you're on the PC, you can find the reference ID of a merchant (easier if the body still exists, but you should be able to find them online as well) and resurrect it with a console command.

fish food carl said:
Is it possible to have two followers at once? I've got Charon (or Sharon as they persistently call him), and I just got a message saying that Jericho has returned to Megaton. I'm back in megaton, only, I can't find him anywhere. Is he invisible or something, because I already have a follower? I've heard that killing Dogmeat lets you have two followers - is that true?
Yep. Dogmeat has a follower slot permanently reserved for him, so if you kill him it'll free up that one. I've also heard that Fawkes has her own slot, but I don't know for sure.

Spartan Bannana

Apr 27, 2008
I'm gonna go ahead and agree with what many people are saying, there are so many different ways to play Fallout 3 that it really just comes down to the mood you're in when you put it in. I like discovering the little sidestories that aren't told through words, like DeathQuaker said. I like discovering raider camps, scavenger homes and things like that. This game rewards exploration incredibly, I was just wandering around DC, and I came across Hubris Comics, and I found a man holed up in there with food, weapons and a bunch of comic books. It's the little things that matter in this game, and if all you're in it for is loot and leveling, you're missing out.

Spartan Bannana

Apr 27, 2008
searanox said:
jamesc said:
Damn, I think I killed all the traders... Anybody know where I can get some ammo? Buying it, I mean, I know I can search around but I only have 3 points of luck so scavenger is out of the question, and I'm level nineteen so I cant upgrade that with intense training... So far I've killed moria, flak & shrapnell, pretty much everyone in paradise falls, megaton, rivet city and Tenprnny tower... Can anybody help? Also, what the fuck? I cant continue after the end? Good thing I had an old save file...
The roving trader caravans and random encounter Scavengers are a good source. Aside from that, you're probably out of luck. There is a downside to killing everyone you see...

Just a note, if you're on the PC, you can find the reference ID of a merchant (easier if the body still exists, but you should be able to find them online as well) and resurrect it with a console command.

fish food carl said:
Is it possible to have two followers at once? I've got Charon (or Sharon as they persistently call him), and I just got a message saying that Jericho has returned to Megaton. I'm back in megaton, only, I can't find him anywhere. Is he invisible or something, because I already have a follower? I've heard that killing Dogmeat lets you have two followers - is that true?
Yep. Dogmeat has a follower slot permanently reserved for him, so if you kill him it'll free up that one. I've also heard that Fawkes has her own slot, but I don't know for sure.
If Dogmeat dies, he still has a slot reserved, it's like this, you can have 1 follower, plus Dogmeat.
Although, it would be really cool if you were able to have all followers at once, so that you had to have the specific karma level when you hired them, but once they are hired, it doesn't matter. Think about it, you'd have a Brotherhood of Steel Paladin, a dog, a super mutant, a robot, a ghoul, a normal human, and hell, Sydney the Relic hunter will follow you around if you decide not to finish the quest.

Spartan Bannana

Apr 27, 2008
fish food carl said:
Awesome. Now, I have to find Dogmeat. Somewhere south of Minefield I hear. Sorry, doggy, but I want my Jericho back! I'M A-COMING JERRY BABY!

[sup] Yes, I did get somewhat attached to that boy. [/sup]

Anyone used the explorer perk? Can't wait for it, as I intend to get every side quest, every Bobblehead, every location, everything.
I strongly urge you to reconsider, let Dogmeat follow you around for a while, and you'll see just how attached you'll become. My game now does not seem complete without his soft panting next to me.
EDIT: Sorry for double post, was gonna do an edit, but I have a good long term memory and a bad short term one, I meant to do this post as an edit, but I forgot.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
I find Dogmeat's "Find" feature useful, if only because in the mad frenzy of combat I sometimes lose track of where all the bodies have fallen. Tall grass is my bane... He also acts as a great "speed bump" when I'm focusing on gunplay, pinning the target in place while I hip-shoot or VATS at the target's head.

I never did get the robotic Sergeant as a follower, but the mighty AI team of Fawkes, Dogmeat, and the Experimental Medic Armor did serve me well until I got the T-51b armour. "It's only pain, soldier, here's some Vitamin M!" *hiss of a Med-X shot*

-- Steve

searanox

Sep 22, 2008
Spartan Bannana said:
I'm gonna go ahead and agree with what many people are saying, there are so many different ways to play Fallout 3 that it really just comes down to the mood you're in when you put it in. I like discovering the little sidestories that aren't told through words, like DeathQuaker said. I like discovering raider camps, scavenger homes and things like that. This game rewards exploration incredibly, I was just wandering around DC, and I came across Hubris Comics, and I found a man holed up in there with food, weapons and a bunch of comic books. It's the little things that matter in this game, and if all you're in it for is loot and leveling, you're missing out.
I agree with this. While I do enjoy leveling up and making progress, it's still not what makes the game. Pay attention next time you go to Evergreen Mills... it's actually some really weird Raider strip club/bar/BDSM thing, with a character called "Madame" and a bunch of "naked" Raiders locked up in jail cells. Wheehoo. Go by the Gold Ribbon Grocer, as well, and you'll find a fun little scene to play with (follow the arrows). There's just so many little unique, individual stories to be found, and while Oblivion had some of them (the suicidal "wurst troll evurr" comes to mind), but in Fallout 3 I find that there's way more of those little moments, usually hidden around every corner.

Dogmeat is annoying and has only one good use: finding the Firelance and its ammo.

laikenf

Oct 24, 2007
Anton P. Nym said:
I find Dogmeat's "Find" feature useful, if only because in the mad frenzy of combat I sometimes lose track of where all the bodies have fallen. Tall grass is my bane... He also acts as a great "speed bump" when I'm focusing on gunplay, pinning the target in place while I hip-shoot or VATS at the target's head.

I never did get the robotic Sergeant as a follower, but the mighty AI team of Fawkes, Dogmeat, and the Experimental Medic Armor did serve me well until I got the T-51b armour. "It's only pain, soldier, here's some Vitamin M!" *hiss of a Med-X shot*

-- Steve
Ahh yes, I find that you're followers in F.O. 3 are pretty smart; Dogmeat is always on the alert and Fawks (Palladin Cross also, when I had her) tends to flank you're enemies, distracting them and giving you the opportunity to come from behind and blasting them into oblivion. I remember, I think it was in the Capitol Bldg. that some Super Mutants where attacking us (like 4 of them at the same time) Fawks just ran out (I thought it was another case of bad AI) but what he really did was that he went around through another room and just shreaded those Mutants from behind with that crazy gatling laser of his. This wasn't the only case though, because depending on the location you're fighting at he seems to find really effective ways to fight and protect you.

Spartan Bannana

Apr 27, 2008
searanox said:
Dogmeat is annoying and has only one good use: finding the Firelance and its ammo.
Ah, but there's where you're wrong, he serves as a useful distraction in combat against most enemies(Deathclaws and Yai Guai excluded) and he notices most enemies before I do. On top of that, he's nearly impossible to shoot to death.

laikenf

Oct 24, 2007
Spartan Bannana said:
searanox said:
Ah, but there's where you're wrong, he serves as a useful distraction in combat against most enemies(Deathclaws and Yai Guai excluded) and he notices most enemies before I do. On top of that, he's nearly impossible to shoot to death.
Correct. There was a Super Mutant in Vault 87 who UNLOADED his Chiniese Assult Rifle on Dogmeat; all I can think of was "shit, there goes my dog", but when we took him out and I tried to give Dogmeat some Stimpacks the option wasn't even there.

searanox

Sep 22, 2008
Spartan Bannana said:
searanox said:
In my experiences, he has about a 100% chance of dying when in combat with more than one of any remotely difficult enemy.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
fish food carl said:
Not what I've heard. Charon and I shotgunned him, but now I can't find Jericho back in Megaton. I know he hangs around outside Moriarty's but I can't find him. Where else might he be? (Not in his house).
Try inside Moriarity's; odds are he's guzzling up all the caps you paid him.

People say that killing Dogmeat frees up a slot in the party, and you disagree. Why? Does Dogmeat come back , or is he dead for ever?
Once Dogmeat is dead, he doesn't come back. However, it may be (I don't know for certain) that the follower slot "reserved" for Dogmeat isn't freed up just because Dogmeat's dead. That's something I haven't experimented with.

laikenf said:
There was a Super Mutant in Vault 87 who UNLOADED his Chiniese Assult Rifle on Dogmeat; all I can think of was "shit, there goes my dog", but when we took him out and I tried to give Dogmeat some Stimpacks the option wasn't even there.
Yeah, Dogmeat (and most followers, I gather) heal back to full health once they exit combat mode. (Which makes Fawkes well-nigh indestructable. I accidentally missiled here taking on a Behemoth while she was duking it out with the big guy, and she still managed to survive.)

-- Steve

Spartan Bannana

Apr 27, 2008
searanox said:
Spartan Bannana said:
searanox said:
In my experiences, he has about a 100% chance of dying when in combat with more than one of any remotely difficult enemy.
What game are you playing? Dogmeat takes about 6-8 missiles before he dies, and he heals back to full health after combat, only thing he's bad against are Flamethrowers, Deathclaws and Yao Guai

Spartan Bannana

Apr 27, 2008
fish food carl said:
Spartan Bannana said:
.If Dogmeat dies, he still has a slot reserved, it's like this, you can have 1 follower, plus Dogmeat.
Not what I've heard. Charon and I shotgunned him, but now I can't find Jericho back in Megaton. I know he hangs around outside Moriarty's but I can't find him. Where else might he be? (Not in his house).

People say that killing Dogmeat frees up a slot in the party, and you disagree. Why? Does Dogmeat come back , or is he dead for ever?
He's dead forever, but I experimented once. I fired Charon, bought Clover, went to the Ninth Circle, killed Dogmeat and it still said that my party was full, I wasn't really planning on keeping Dogmeat dead though, just experimenting.
Also, why are you so opposed to having Dogmeat follow you around?

Fiskmasen

Apr 6, 2008
So I stumbled upon 16 Intact Garden Gnomes, and decided to spiff up my Megaton home. Now I fear to venture there. Bloody gnomes.

On an entirely different note: Is Fort Constantine a part of the main quest (which I have yet to complete)? I found it today and there seems to be a lot of doors marked "Requires keys" in and around the place. Perhaps it contains some nice loot.

[img_inline align="left" height="480" width="640" caption="It's just like West Side Story, with gnomes"]http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/373/screenshot7ye6.jpg[/img_inline]
[img_inline align="left" height="480" width="640" caption="Or perhaps the battle of Helm's Deep"]http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/5656/screenshot8pe4.jpg[/img_inline]
[img_inline align="left" height="480" width="640"]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/5294/screenshot11at6.jpg[/img_inline]

searanox

Sep 22, 2008
Fiskmasen said:
On an entirely different note: Is Fort Constantine a part of the main quest (which I have yet to complete)? I found it today and there seems to be a lot of doors marked "Requires keys" in and around the place. Perhaps it contains some nice loot.
No, it's an optional area tied in with the quest You Gotta Shoot 'Em in the Head (see Mister Crowley at Underworld). You don't have to visit it but "fully" completing the quest will see you travel there yourself.