The Official Fallout 3 Thread.

spazzattack

Mar 25, 2008
This is a response to Richard Groovy Pants. I must disagree that leveling isn't a reward in RPG's. Why would there even be one if you didn't? I liked to just go exploring yes, but because it was furthering that little bar in the bottom right corner, so I could get more Small Guns skill points, and another neat Perk. I wanted to raise the level cap so I could get more of them sweet sweet Perks. Being the biggest strongest badass in the entirety of the Wasteland is the best.

Lt. Sera

Apr 22, 2008
I just explore for the sake of exploring myself. Levelling up is actually something I care very little about when wandering the wasteland. To each his own of course :)

Spartan Bannana

Apr 27, 2008
Richard Groovy Pants said:
spazzattack said:
This is a response to Richard Groovy Pants. I must disagree that leveling isn't a reward in RPG's.
I never said it wasn't. I said it isn't the best reward you can get specifically from Fallout 3 :).
I do love the leveling in Fallout 3, the perks are a lot of fun

searanox

Sep 22, 2008
Cheeze_Pavilion said:
Yeah--it happens in a lot of games with great graphics, and ESPECIALLY in F3: it's like everyone that dies first covers themselves up with one of those Elven Cloaks from Lord of the Rings, and when I go looking for dead bodies I feel like those guys right outside the Black Gate when Frodo and Sam are beneath the cloak that makes them look like a big rock.
If you're on the PC, you can use the console command "tg" to turn grass on or off in an instant. Works well if you can't find bodies (though a bit more useful in Oblivion, if only because there's more grass).

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
It just occurred to me how much of the game I still haven't seen, despite spending so much time; I haven't seen one Regulator, I haven't been to Dunwich, I haven't been back to Canterbury since cleaning up the town so I bet I haven't seen a lot of the caravaners... if there are any working FEV vats, I haven't found them yet either. (Where are all those Supermutants coming from? They can't all be from Vault 87, can they?)

-- Steve

jamesc

Jul 30, 2008
spazzattack said:
This is a response to Richard Groovy Pants. I must disagree that leveling isn't a reward in RPG's.
I never said it wasn't. I said it isn't the best reward you can get specifically from Fallout 3 :).

Why would there even be one if you didn't? I liked to just go exploring yes, but because it was furthering that little bar in the bottom right corner, so I could get more Small Guns skill points, and another neat Perk. I wanted to raise the level cap so I could get more of them sweet sweet Perks. Being the biggest strongest badass in the entirety of the Wasteland is the best.
Good, good, and you're entitled to enjoy it like you want to, what I was saying though is that in Fallout 3 you shouldn't put goals like getting XP in your mind otherwise you won't enjoy the game to the fullest, in my opinion.
I kind of see what he means. I use leveling up as a way of getting to the skills I need to get through an are easier. For example, I can not complete the stealing independence quest with all those damn sentry bots around, especially since I have killed practally every single person(nix quest givers) in the game and can no longer buy stimpacks. So I am right now grinding like crazy to reach the 20th level so I can get the 67 science skill I need to pass that one door in the secure wing. I'm just sad the cap is so low, I really do want more of the perks they offer and I just cant get them now. Its like dangling multiple carrots in front of my face, I can get some, but the other delicious treats are forever gone. It does niccely emphasize choice, however.

Alex_P

All I really do is threadcrap
Mar 27, 2008
jamesc said:
So I am right now grinding like crazy to reach the 20th level so I can get the 67 science skill I need to pass that one door in the secure wing.
Don't forget about bobbleheads, science books, and labcoats (especially Lesko's).

-- Alex

Iron Mal

Jun 4, 2008
It's called balance, if you had access to all the perks you'd be overpowered (if you aren't already with all the stimpacks and ammo at your disposal). Just play on easy for a while.
This is a single player game so why the hell should we be concerned with the character being overpowered? There's one protaganist (with a couple of crap-tacular NPC's if you're lucky) verus a ridiculous number of enemies who felt overpowered, allowing ourselves to become the equivilant of a one man leigon is hardly a problem.

I'll agree that there was an abundance of ammo in the game but stimpacks might as well come with a certificate of authentication given how hard they are to come by.

Toner

Dec 1, 2008
Iron Mal said:
It's called balance, if you had access to all the perks you'd be overpowered (if you aren't already with all the stimpacks and ammo at your disposal). Just play on easy for a while.
This is a single player game so why the hell should we be concerned with the character being overpowered? There's one protaganist (with a couple of crap-tacular NPC's if you're lucky) verus a ridiculous number of enemies who felt overpowered, allowing ourselves to become the equivilant of a one man leigon is hardly a problem.

I'll agree that there was an abundance of ammo in the game but stimpacks might as well come with a certificate of authentication given how hard they are to come by.
Because of something called challenge.
And what enemies were overpowered?
The running forward dumb AI Deathclaw, the 1-shot pulse grenade sentry robot or the I-Always-Get-Stuck-On-A-Rock Behemoth?
Also I ended the main quest with 97 stimpacks, on Very Hard.
The Stimpack situation in the game is one of some controversy, as if you have enough Stimpacks and can hit the Tab button fast enough, you're invincible. With some medium/moderate/heavy scavenging you can easily get +100 by the time you're running down to Rivet City (on Very Hard I might add). Some mods have added weight to them, some make you spend AP to use them, but in all honesty....I think it'll probably be best to take away the SUDDEN PAUSE that the PipBoy gives to the player.

MAKE people use your weapon quickslots in combat and to fumble around when they remember that handy grenade they picked up earlier...
DON'T let people mysteriously change their entire clothing instantaneously just before a Deathclaw starts chomping down.
DON'T make Stimpacks magical items that instantly heal the player the second the needle touches their skin.
DON'T suddenly pause the game in a huge gunfight, simply because the player wants to check his map and see if they accidentally went North instead of South.
DON'T suddenly pause the effects of radiation while standing in green sludge, simply because the player wants to count how many Rads they have.
ESPECIALLY DON'T let the player repair weapons while a Raider is standing 20cm away swinging towards the player with a Power Fist.

I relatively despised it in Oblivion, and I sure as hell despise it in Fallout 3.
For VATS its understandable, as the only action you can take in VATS is to choose your targets. You can't suddenly put on armor in VATS or check the map, so here is a good example of where it's reasonable.

Instant pause while still taking tactile in-game actions however, is not good. Not good at all...

corporate_gamer

Apr 17, 2008
Iron Mal said:

Because of something called challenge.
And what enemies were overpowered?
The running forward dumb AI Deathclaw, the 1-shot pulse grenade sentry robot or the I-Always-Get-Stuck-On-A-Rock Behemoth?
Also I ended the main quest with 97 stimpacks, on Very Hard.
Yeah I was never short of stimpacks either. Possibly because I never ignore any opportunity to steal or buy them.

And they were overpowered. until you got to say lvl 10 or so. before that I had to avoid most fights. After that? with a combat shotgun? forget about it.

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
Knight Templar said:
I found the white house, or rather what's left of it. Quite rewarding with weapons, ammo and funny things to see.
I ought to try and go back there now that I have power armour. Damn super mutants were kicking my ass bad when I found it earlier.