The worst and most pointless weapon in any game.

Terratina.

RIP Escapist RP Board
May 24, 2012
Gemini Soul from .hack//Mutation.

-20 to Magical and Physical Attack. I hope you enjoy inflicting 1 damage on every hit!

Did I mention you have to go to a specific dungeon to get that weapon?

YouBecame

May 2, 2010
I'm definitely thinking like a cracked dirk from diablo 2. The worst damage, every character *starts* with better items, and worth nothing. My friends and I held on to these just to present the worst item we could find!

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
The Melta gun from Fire Warrior (Tau based 40k FPS). I could not get the thing to work. I didn't know what it was, it seemed to require some sort of charge up before firing but it didn't work. Not even in close combat it didn't do anything.

LadyTiamat

Aug 13, 2011
likalaruku said:
I seem to recall an RPG where a boss enemy had to be defeated with a sword that had stats significantly lower than the one I was already using. I tried the better sword & sure enough the special sword was the only thing that would kill it. The sword had no further use after that.
Could it be the serpent slicer in Dark Cloud? The one you had to use to kill that giant unkillable 'killer snake'?

Grach

Aug 31, 2012
IBlackKiteI said:
Battlefield 3 used to have lots of good guns and a bunch of gamebreaker guns. Now it has lots of good guns and a bunch of crap guns. Half of the machine guns are just better than the other half. M240 is a better Type 88, MG36 is a better QBB.
Yeah, stuff like shotguns with 12 gauge slugs rocks the balls and ass of everything close quarters, while things like the M16A3 and M4A1 are the go to weapons for everything mid-range. Good thing that in the servers I play in, people limit themselves with the semi-auto shotguns.

IBlackKiteI said:
Modern Warfare 2 was king of pointless weapons, probably one of the reasons I hated it so much. Weapon balance was a complete atrocity. Why use a semi-automatic pistol when you can pack an automatic with the same damage and a bigger magazine or a shotgun that can snipe people? Why use a heavy as fuck, difficult to control (for CoD) LMG when you can use a much lighter, easier to use assault rifle that is better in every way that matters? This wasn't just a case of crappy gun here, a good gun there, entire categories of weapons were practically worthless, pistols, LMGs, SMGs aside from broken as hell UMP and dual P90.
Yeah, assault rifles and machine pistols are composed pretty much 90% of everyone's loadout. I remember clearly using the ACR most of the time along with a PP-2000. For those of you who don't know, the ACR was so accurate and so stable that when firing full-auto it was still pretty much a low tier sniper rifle. The PP-2000 is a russian machine pistol that was stupidly accurate, it's iron sights were nothing short of perfect and its range was very long for a machine pistol. It did crap damage but when you can put rounds into people rather quickly it hardly matters.
The UMP was so easy to control that you could breach entire rooms with no dificulty.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
WanderingFool said:
Every heavy weapon from ME2 (save the Cain, which is to be use when you have zero fucks to give about "collateral damage")
Have you ever even TOUCHED the Collector Particle Rifle? That thing rapes boss enemies like nothing else.

superpandasauras said:
I'm going to have to go with the Spy-cicle from Team Fortress 2.
Seeing as a ton of weapons have no back-stab sound, and it can be melted by the Spy coming in contact with fire.
It's an almost-straight upgrade from the stock Knife. If you burst into flames, switch to the Spy-cicle to instantly put yourself out and be immune to flames for about 2 seconds. Disgustingly OP, as it lets you evade Pyros (combine with Dead Ringer for optimal results).

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
The starting pistol from the original doom was pretty useless. Especially since there were so may other weapons just laying around and they were all way better than the pistol.

Timedraven 117

Jan 5, 2011
WouldYouKindly said:
Shotguns. Almost every game that features one is hilariously terrible. There's no game I wanted to use the shotgun... excluding Black because it sounds like a grenade going off and blows people away in the most amusing way. I'd trade it out for an SMG first chance I got in any other game. SMGs also obliterate anyone close to you on top of being effective enough at medium range.
What about the halo 1 and 2 shotguns? Halo one shotgun with a pistol as back up was the best combo.

Mr F.

Jul 11, 2012
The sniper is what made ME1 so dull for me that I couldnt be bothered with the series. It was simply too good (Go into cover, come out, shoot enemy, go into cover). Then again, I just flat out hated ME combat. I briefly tried 3, then got bored.

Dunno what I can really say, I mainly play RTS games.

*ponders*

Nope, nothing to add. Everything has its purpose if used properly in an RTS game (If the RTS has been built right). Like in CoH, I cannot think of any unit that is utterly pointless. Bar maybe the Flakk 88, its useless if you are playing against humans or bots on one of the harder difficulties. Sure, it will demolish tanks, but unless you are playing against a moron it will get max like, 1 kill (Which is offset by the cost of the fucking thing) after which it will get hit by off map arty, On map arty, a mortar, a sniper...

Man, I need to play more FPSs, the last one I got even half interested in was BF2142. Wait...

Arty in Bf 1942 if you did not have a sniper spotting shit for you. That took useless to the next level. Oh, and planes in the same game, if you were up against bots. Other planes would not be the threat, tanks/apc's would snipe you with MG's. The heavy bomber on El Alamein in particular. It was so difficult to be any level of decent with that thing, plus you would get shot down rather quickly unless you could convince people to be gunners for you.

Man, I really want a new 1942 using the latest engine. Destructo Scenery + WW2 = Win. Been wanting that since I first played Bad Company 2. Seriously. A city map (Berlin, Stalingrad, you get the idea) that starts not blown up in which one of the sides gets access to heavy bombers? That would be 10,000 levels of epic.

GamerAddict7796

Jun 2, 2010
WanderingFool said:
Off the top of my head?

The combat shotgun from FO3 (my sneezes in game where more effective.)
You must be using it wrong because I can get a one shot kill on a raider no probs.

The M.I.R.V from FO3 - fires 8 mini nukes per shot and if you aim too low, you'll die!

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
canadamus_prime said:
I agree, both the Sword of Aeons and Avo's Tear were better than the Solus Greatsword because of the DPS and Augments. However it still sucked that they nerfed the SoA in Lost Chapters.
I'll definitely give you that. They had to though. They were going to have the original damage for the SoA carry on into TLC at first but then they saw how incredibly OP'd it was and they had to nerf it in order to create SOME challenge for the player. lol

When Fable 2 and 3 were coming out, I kept hoping they would bring back the SoA but they never did. *sigh* I think it's now lost to time.

momijirabbit

Nov 2, 2012
Any Assault Rifle from Borderlands 2.
Weaker than the SMGs most of the time. slow rates of fire and aside from the Torque made ones, utterly pointless.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
My name is Fiction said:
WouldYouKindly said:
Shotguns. Almost every game that features one is hilariously terrible. There's no game I wanted to use the shotgun... excluding Black because it sounds like a grenade going off and blows people away in the most amusing way. I'd trade it out for an SMG first chance I got in any other game. SMGs also obliterate anyone close to you on top of being effective enough at medium range.
Alloy cannon, that is all.
XCOM right? I'm not actually using that gun personally, and I still usually only had one guy using it out of a six man squad. I preferred my plasma sniper who would demolish practically everyone with double tap.

Timedraven 117 said:
WouldYouKindly said:
What about the halo 1 and 2 shotguns? Halo one shotgun with a pistol as back up was the best combo.
Never played Halo. I was a PS2 gamer back then and I don't have any desire to get into it now. What was the range on it? Could you hurt someone 20 feet away? By hurt, I mean kill in a reasonable amount of shots.

monkey_man

Jul 5, 2009
WouldYouKindly said:
I see you have never seen me play shotgun pyro on tf2 ( puff and shot). Or play half life (here zombie zombie zombie). Or left4dead (here zombie zombie zombie?).or Bioshock ( splice that!). Or fallout (vats + head = kill). A shotgun isn't useless, it's a strategic close up weapon that deals a lot of damage. Personal preference isn't what this thread is about, I think.

A useless gun for me would be . mmmh.I can't think of one actually. Usually every gun I have has purpose in a different situation. whether it's a pistol/rifle for long range enemies picking, or a shotgun/smg for closer range. EVen the Rocket/sticky jumper from tf2 have use, if matched with a damage melee ( market gardener/boom stick thingy) and shotgun.
I do agree on the Chinese pistol from Fallout 3, since it's a straight downgrade. And some of the things in Isaac, like brimstone, which I think is annoying to use. but it's deadly. Or chocolate milk, because I really like to just push space, rather than mash it.

Sep 30, 2010
Easton Dark said:
The Chinese Pistol from Fallout 3 - I'm pretty sure it's the weapon no one could use even if they wanted to. Not even its unique version was any good, and it used the ammo your vastly superior 10mm pistol used and that's the first gun you get.
The unique chinese pistol is actually one of my favourite weapons in the game, of course my character had already maxed out small guns and taken the "almost perfect" perk when I started to use it. Still buckets of fun for raiders and the like though.

Anathrax

Jan 14, 2013
I'd say the A.J.M 9(Pistol) in Far cry 3 blood dragon was useless. It had terrible damage and the fact that it was silenced was overshadowed by the recurve bow. It looks like it was made to be a main headshot weapon, but every other weapon is somewhat better at headshotting since the ironsights are unclear as hell.

Jan 29, 2009
Timedraven 117 said:
The hidden skulls in the Halo games. They are a weapon technically and they just act as a bashing weapon.

Laspistol from 40K. You DID say any game. But oh wait it doesn't count since its used as a laser pointer that can kill someone.
Laser Pointer is a bit optimistic. Maybe a knock-off brand maglight.