"Wait, how is that offensive?!"

erto101

Aug 18, 2009
LITE992 said:
I'm not sure why people find curse words offensive, because haven't we been taught as kids that "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me."?
My school went with "Words are tools, and like all tools they can hurt."

Anyway, people would find me VERY hard to offend, but on the other hand I'm very careful not to offend anyone. My mother thought me not to offend, and my father don't really give a shit, so I turned out like a combination.

Mischa87

Jun 28, 2011
bahumat42 said:
Given your conduct in this thread it may seem those hatecrimes may be more a product of you being an insufferable arugmentative human being rather than anything else.

And i apologise for using the offhand term from groups of homosexuals, you must be so hurt. I know im absolutely distraught when some groups me in with the term men.

And where did i subscribe to homophobia. Not being wanted to be forced to partake = homophobia to you. I don't go around thinking this will happen i just don't wish them to.

And yeah its easy to say i get insulted all the time and don't make a big deal, and heres why, "IT DOESN'T MATTER", dicks will be dicks, by reacting to them your only in turn hurting yourself.

People can choose to get offended. And MOST of the time the only end result of that choice is a pain in the ass for everyone around them. So again i apologise for caring more about the collective than the individual. In your world i should just cause a fuss everytime everyone says a mean word.

And yeah its easy to say i get insulted all the time...

...People can choose to get offended
Haha... oh this is too good. Not only are you entirely unable to even keep up with what I'm saying, but you're either a raving lunatic, or a total hypocrite.

the only end result of that choice is a pain in the ass for everyone around them.
Really? Heh, you know homophobes are becoming the minority, right? So your bigoted tongue is actually offending more people than you think.

i apologise for caring more about the collective than the individual.
What? So the over 10% of the population that's queer, plus the straight people who actually give a damn aren't a collective? I think what you meant to say was "I have no problem using my own narrow view on the word as justification for my offensive nature"

But yeah, really, don't bother replying to this, you can't even keep up with what I'm saying, I didn't even address all points where you failed to grasp what I was saying contained in your post, because it felt like I was grading a grade 2's story or something...

It's a good laugh for me and my friends though, I suppose that's something.

Herr Uhl

Sep 25, 2010
ravensheart18 said:
If you follow the Jewish religion or you are born to Jewish parents you aren't a Jew, you are Jewish. (Unless you call your Canadian friends Cans and your American friends Amers)
You do however call Swedish and Finnish people Swedes and Finns.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
sir.rutthed said:
EDIT: Thanks to the folks who replied to this post. I guess what I really don't get is why it's offensive to say someone has a choice in the matter rather than saying they're a slave to genetics/upbringing/whatever. Using the 'choice' argument as an excuse for persecution is disgusting, but it's also bullshit. At the same time, I think it's fair to say there are certain people who just like being gay better than being straight, so I think we can all agree that everyone should just mind their own damn business.
I personally am not gay, but have a number of gay friends, and we have talked about this issue. Based on this post I'm going to assume you are straight. If I were to ask you did you choose to start finding girls attractive when you hit 12-13 years old you would probably tell me no. It just magically happened as a result of this weird thing we all experience called puberty. Arguing that gay people choose to be gay, is basically saying...... "I know you are attracted to the opposite sex because everyone is.... Thus you are just thumbing your nose at the rest of us in an attempt to be different and push away from the status quo." It is the mentality of "You are gay because you don't like me." A gay persons sexual preference has nothing to do with ANYONE but themselves (and maybe the person they are attracted to.)

It really is that simple, people who say that gay is a choice are arguing that THEY are the reason someone else is gay (whether they realize it or not), which is ludicrous.

rammst13n

Jun 26, 2011
i will never understand why kids need to disrespect teachers by talking out in class, such a dumb highschool attention seeking thing and its flat out disrespectful to people who are only trying to educate the students, teachers deserve respect, im not a goody-two-shoes either, im a bit of a lazy stoner type, but even so i have the respect to treat them as i would any other person who hasnt wronged me

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
TitanAtlas said:
krazykidd said:
TitanAtlas said:
double snip

TL:DR having a black friend , lover or parent doesn't excuse saying racist things
Well saying black person is racist? Admitting black is a racist term would to be the consideration of the colour itself to be racist.

For example if i say "That black man who is cousin of that person", do you feel that the phrase is racist in any term?
Well , it really weird in the sense that i personally dislike being called "the black guy " it's as if me being black was weird . Actually have rarely heard someone say "the white dude " or "the yellow chick" to discribe a person .

The phrase isn't "racist" i would never call someone racist for that , but i think it's something people shouldn't say to describe someone as if the only characteristic i have is that i'm black . It's like saying , " the fat man" or "the gay guy".

I know i'm not very clear in my explanation , or maybe it's just me . I apologize for that.

Petromir

Apr 10, 2010
There is the issue that alot of offensive slurs, especially single word ones have other meanings to the one that is offensive, or even the meaning of the word isnt offensive in itsself, and just the way it's used is.

In many cases in spoken speech its the delivery of the word as well as its context that matters, if you spit the word then its much more likely that you are being offensive. This of course means that many languages especially those that place alot on pronciation and other verbal indicators to add meaning, make relitively tricky languages to communicate in when using text

I'd quite like it to become accpeted that its possible to have slang words for people and ethnic groups etc that arent offensive unless used in that way.

If somethings relevant to the description of someone then by all means use it, avoid the emotive words where possible and try and make it clear in your delivery that you attach no predjudice in your usage.

Acknolodging differences is fine, its taking differences that mean nothing into account is where things start to get difficult.

If I'm casting a play then things like gender and race may well be important, a black women after all is unlikely to make a beleiviable Richard the Lionheart, and a white person would be just downright offensive as Martin Luther King, but if I'm recruiting for a camera opperator race and gender except in exceptional circumstances arent going to be an issue (and while I can think of reasonable grounds to restrict the sex of a camera opperator, say filming in single sex enviroments, I've yet to think one up for race).

dancinginfernal

Sep 5, 2009
ravensheart18 said:
kortin said:
Well, not something that is said, but rather what one does:

Wearing Hats inside. I know why it used to be offensive, but it STILL being offensive is just absolutely stupid.
Actually WHY did it used to be offensive? I know why it used to be offensive NOT to wear a hat at all times (everyone was infested with buggies) but the don't wear a hat inside always struck me as odd.
I was taught that wearing hats indoors was disrespectful. I never understood it either until I asked my father about it one day as a child.

As I recall, removing your hat when you enter a building was a showing of respect for the building and the owner of it. You're showing that you realize that you are the guest in the building and that the owner deserves respect because of it. I assume it's similar fashion to removing your shoes in some Eastern cultures.

crop52

Mar 16, 2011
The garbage-lady in the new Deus Ex.

So she's got a certain way of talking, and just happens to be black. Who cares?

TitanAtlas

Oct 14, 2010
krazykidd said:
TitanAtlas said:
krazykidd said:
TitanAtlas said:
double snip

TL:DR having a black friend , lover or parent doesn't excuse saying racist things
Well saying black person is racist? Admitting black is a racist term would to be the consideration of the colour itself to be racist.

For example if i say "That black man who is cousin of that person", do you feel that the phrase is racist in any term?
Well , it really weird in the sense that i personally dislike being called "the black guy " it's as if me being black was weird . Actually have rarely heard someone say "the white dude " or "the yellow chick" to discribe a person .

The phrase isn't "racist" i would never call someone racist for that , but i think it's something people shouldn't say to describe someone as if the only characteristic i have is that i'm black . It's like saying , " the fat man" or "the gay guy".

I know i'm not very clear in my explanation , or maybe it's just me . I apologize for that.
So the adjective itself is unnecessary, thus it becomes kind of offensive... i think i got it...

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I agree with your statements on the gay thing, if someone is gay? Go fuck yourself it doesn't involve you so leave their sexuality out of it. I don't get why politics ever got into the sexuality thing but you know I guess they just want votes.

I'm not even Gay and I get annoyed by what they put up with, the things I see I just facepalm over and I'm like "WHY Do they care?!". My cousin is gay as can be, I mean the lampshades are in danger of catching fire(joking here people), he's funny, awesome and a great person. Does being gay change any of that? No, but he does dress more fashionably than I do.

Rin Little

Jul 24, 2011
I've become desensitized to most sayings and words. Honestly if you let words bother you, then you're done for. People are going to be callous and you getting upset about them saying it is giving them exactly what they want. I'm bi and I don't give two shits if someone says "dyke" or "fag" or whatever because it doesn't matter! It's only a problem if you let it bother you.

doggie135

Feb 2, 2011
I was talking with my mother at one time recently, and managed to joke with her about the Battlefield 3 "rat-stabbing" controversy PeTA lobbied. Or at least I tried to. Turns out, she found the scene abhorrent, despite my justification of context, and said they had every right to protest against fictional violence. She also noted that it could lead to desensitization. I reprimanded her, noting that context derives emotions of sensitive nature, rather than removing them entirely, and that the argument she proposed was unstable.

Here's the example: She says "Well then, would you permit a child being raped in a play?" to which I replied "Of course. It's narrative strength, and, application-wise, potential have the potential to be emotionally far-reaching and compelling".

Are you disturbed or offended by the idea of a child-character in a play being raped (if no laws were broken, of course)?

(And yes, I realize how much of this is meaningless exposition)

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
There are a lot of things that people get up in arms about that I never understood.

sir.rutthed said:
EDIT: Thanks to the folks who replied to this post. I guess what I really don't get is why it's offensive to say someone has a choice in the matter rather than saying they're a slave to genetics/upbringing/whatever.
Because the fact that it's a choice is a lie. It's been proven, and the evidence is accessible to anyone with Google.

Further, people use that lie to try and demonize non-heterosexuals, and to deprive them of rights.

ravensheart18 said:
we do have some facts to indicate that there may be more bisexuality out there than is acknowledged which would indicate some choice of action.
Um, a person being Bisexual doesn't mean they chose their sexuality. It means that they attracted to either set of plumbing. I'm not seeing how you drew that equivalency.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
w1ndscar said:
sir.rutthed said:
I too dont care if one decides to be gay rather than straight. What does get annoying, is that people claim being gay is derived from your DNA. Sexual preference, or what turns one on is not determined by their genes, but rather their Mentality and personal preferences.

OT: I don't understand why African Americans feel that they must absolutely have an entire month devoted to their history. We go over it during the proper section of all of our history courses.
you do realize that personality/mentality is influenced by biology right? People are not wrong to bring up genetics when talking about sexuality.

Generalzdave

Oct 4, 2010
I rarely get offended by anything thrown my way, except extreme anti-Americanism. I'll buy that a lot of us are racist, fat, lazy, stupid, and ignorant, or at least the ones among us that get on television. Past that, and I think you're an instigator who has gone too long without being kicked in the teeth; Believe me, I'll gladly catch you up.

Anything else doesn't get to me. I like being called a cracker, a honky, a white boy, a vampire, or anything else, because each of those names is hilarious and they never understand why I can't stop laughing. I understand that if I try to return the love in an equally hateful manner, I'm a backward redneck. I guess Whitey still has some years to pay back, even if none of it was my own fault. I'll agree to that, if only because it's a fight I won't be able to win. I will also tolerate feminists, as long as they're actually trying to reach equality.

I do, however, like people to whom I can make jokes at, jokingly, and they laugh and respond with another one. I hang around such a diverse group of people that it provides hours of conversation and fun. You can find almost any heritage, ethnicity, or background in our group, and everyone can laugh and have a good time. That, to me, is tolerance, rather than getting hung up on a minor crack about credit scores or mayonnaise made by someone who shows you respect at all other times.