Weird/Crazy stuff people have said to you/you've heard.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
^This. I'll take supernatural horror all day long, but shit like Saw and Hostel? Shit that could very easily happen given the sick and demented stuff we already know people to be capable of makes for some disturbing escapist "entertainment." Hostel gave me, a grown man, nightmares for a few days. I mean, just read up on some the absolutely horrific shit Josef Mengele was up to during WWII; that shit's scarier than any werewolf, ghost, ghoul, goblin, alien or monster you can dream up.
Yeah, I mean I can't really fault her these days. The trailers for the Purge films, aren't really film trailers anymore. They're republican election advertisements these days. So yeah, I can appreciate the lack of enjoyment in seeing such a thing for recreational purposes.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Maybe the silly comic book fancy of things like Blade, where it's just vampires and other silly shit makes it ok for her, but, you know, the idea that your neighbors might just mask up, break down your door and kill/rape you, is a bit too real for her to disconnect and enjoy?
My mom's been a nurse for over 25 years, and she's seen way worst than whatever the Purge can throw at her. She's done a lot of surgeries and baby deliveries. She can watch any murder documentary with little to no flinching. Or documentary about rape or molestation cases. Like I said before, she can't do much horror films. Out all of the horror films she has seen are (most of these only once) Alien (1979), Predator, Halloween (1979), and Silence of the Lambs. The original VHS still sitsr in the basement. One time my dad took all of us to see the first Resident Evil movie at the Star Theatre and she did not realize it was a zombie film. I kinda assumed she knew, but boy was she and my dad in for surprise. I never seen my mom scream so loud before. She was able to get through it, but she never wanted to see that again. She forgot the film was based on the game franchise my brother and I played on PlayStation.

She would never even touch Saw or Hostel. I used own both, but Saw got too depressing and up its own ass. My older brother was the only one in the family that bothered watching the sequels (I gave up after V), but 2 years ago, he can't stomach them anymore. Ironic, because he made excuses for bad or predictable plot twists. Such as "they need to make money. How else are they suppose to keep the franchise going?" and all that dumb shit. Hostel could not stand after seeing Part II, and I gave away the first film due to boredom and just sitting on the shelf.

They're republican election advertisements these days. So yeah, I can appreciate the lack of enjoyment in seeing such a thing for recreational purposes.
She would notice those, but that overlying theme would disturb her the least. Other than Purge 1, I watch and enjoy the sequels from time to time.

DJShaddycat

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2020
Country
United States
About a year ago a woman walked up to me in the grocery store and said "The world is flat. Did you know that?" I just replied that I didn't and we both went our separate ways.
Best way you could've handled that situation. I've had crazies come up and tell me some nonsense, and I just smile and nod. Every time I see a video of someone trying to argue with some crazy guy about some far out conspiracy, it really makes me wonder why they bother. You won't change their mind no matter what.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
A few months ago, my family and I were sharing music together. I played Legacy from DMC5 and they loved it. The weird thing was my dad said it sounded like a song you would hear in mafia movie when someone is about to get whacked. I ask him "How do you even jump to that? Are you even paying attention to the lyrics." He said "No." The lyrics are about building/continuing your legacy (I intentionally left out the part about the Sparda legacy, because I knew he would not pay that much attention). Then he goes "Oh", and then I told him it was from one of my games.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
A few months ago, my family and I were sharing music together. I played Legacy from DMC5 and they loved it. The weird thing was my dad said it sounded like a song you would hear in mafia movie when someone is about to get whacked. I ask him "How do you even jump to that? Are you even paying attention to the lyrics." He said "No." The lyrics are about building/continuing your legacy (I intentionally left out the part about the Sparda legacy, because I knew he would not pay that much attention). Then he goes "Oh", and then I told him it was from one of my games.
I can believe it. We have tailored our soundtracks to imply certain moods and themes. High pitch trumpets usually accompany scenes of reinforcements showing up to save the day. Violins play when we are trying to make something sound sad, etc. And different genres have their own themes too. So the idea that your dad heard "mafia ass kicking" tones in the song, yeah I can totally see it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I can believe it. We have tailored our soundtracks to imply certain moods and themes. High pitch trumpets usually accompany scenes of reinforcements showing up to save the day. Violins play when we are trying to make something sound sad, etc. And different genres have their own themes too. So the idea that your dad heard "mafia ass kicking" tones in the song, yeah I can totally see it.
I kinda get why he would think that. Especially with the violins. I played that same song in a group meeting a work while waiting for some of the others in the office. Everyone loved, though one of the secretaries was annoyed and thought the song was "elevator music" (The violin solo). I told her its refined and elegant, thank you very much. She is miss-know-nothing-know-it-all and a bit of a philistine. Here's the song if you never heard of it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Various gamers being scared to try other games, because they're afraid of difficulty or it not being like COD. One dude was scared to pick up another game, because he afraid of difficulty. I showed him Doom 4, and he said that he played Doom back in the day, but there was hesitation. He decided not to get anything. Another time, some teenager was deciding between Black Ops 2 and Dark Souls III. He claims to say he played the previous game, II, but started asking how hard it was. I told him, if you go through the 2nd game fine, you get through it. Also, his mom showed some concern on him eyeing Dark Soul III. She asked about the content, and I told her "Do you let him consonantly play COD or GTA?" She said yes. I say "Congratulations, he's already played more violent and explicit games." She responds "Oh, thank you." The son still ends up picking up BLOPS2. I don't get some people. They boast about how they're "good", experts, or playing on the hardest difficulty of a military shooter. Nearly anytime it is something else different, shooter or not, they start panicking or getting scared. Or thinking getting a game over will be the worst thing ever. Just have fun, Jesus. Stop worrying about the challenge. That is what easy mode is for.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Some people are too obsessed with gore for their own good. This one dude I met at a Game Stop, was expecting to find gory fighting games exactly like Mortal Kombat X and 11. He sees Samurai Showdown (2019) and asks me is it like those. "Can I chop off heads or see people's guts spill out?" I said no. There is gore, but it's nowhere near close to MK. If you're looking for a Sam Sho that gory, you better emulate SSV (it was not on digital stores at the time). I even showed him footage, and he looked really disappointed. I told him the blood is more stylized and gave him the look of "you asked, take it or leave it." He decided not to buy it somewhat out of spite. This happened a month and a half after the game launched. For the record, the guy was no teenager, and was closer to my age. I like gore to an extent, but even I have my limits. Nor do I expect every game to be as gory as MK. Like what you like, but try to have some standards or restraint expectations.

Last edited:
Reactions: happyninja42

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Back in the infancy of Halo 2, I was playing online with a friend I knew in real life who'd invited a buddy of his I'd never met into a our party. At one point, the two of them were bantering:

My friend: "That's why you suck at Halo."
His friend: "That's why I fucked your mom last night."
My friend: "My mom's dead." (She wasn't.)
His friend: "I know!"

For all it's blatant immaturity, the pinpoint comedic timing and crude irreverence of his "I know!" response was priceless. I laughed for a solid 5 minutes, and it still gets me giggling to this day over a fifteen years later.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
There are some FUCKED up people in this world. And for the record, I'm not on Reddit, and were I to be, you wouldn't find me on a thread like this; this came across my Facebook for some reason. That guy is fucking sick in the goddamn head.

1631029331727.png

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
..........ugh. I really wish I hadn't read that.
I know; I'm sorry. But like when you smell something really bad, there's a sick compulsion to share it with others so they too can appreciate how bad it smells.

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
There are some FUCKED up people in this world. And for the record, I'm not on Reddit, and were I to be, you wouldn't find me on a thread like this; this came across my Facebook for some reason. That guy is fucking sick in the goddamn head.

View attachment 4452
I miss 10 seconds ago when I didn't know this existed.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I miss 10 seconds ago when I didn't know this existed.
Apologies all around...
When your avatar is the incredibly evil looking face of Aphex Twin, I kind of doubt your sincerity with the "i'm sorry" component :p
SINCERE ones.

And let's be fair, Aphex Twin ALWAYS looks evil in his marketing and cover art, but he's a genius capable of beautiful things, INCLUDING sincerity.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

View attachment 4452
You know, a lot of people have weird fetishes. Most of them know enough NOT to brag about them on the internet.

AnxietyProne

Elite Member
Jul 13, 2021
Country
United States
I would post here, but if I posted the entirety of r/gatekeeping, people would get annoyed.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
As relayed by a friend working in education, about a parent:
"I don't have to wear a mask because covid is a <n-word> conspiracy to kill white people with cancer started by <n-word> Obama and the <n-words> that run the country"