What is The Escapist reading?

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
orangebandguy said:
I myself am reading The Horus Heresy series. I'm currently on Flight of the Eisenstein.
Funny you should say that. I finished "A Thousand Sons" today, now moving onto "Nemesis".

Nexus Arc

Aug 6, 2010
I am reading Iron-Man issue #300 where he fights ultimo... I love it it is my favorite issue just for the fighting and Modular armor (Which is in my top 5 Iron-Man comic armors)

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Candide by Voltaire. I don't know why but I'm in love with this book so far. I'm also glad I got the version with footnotes and the like in it as well because there are a ton of references I just wouldn't have gotten without them. I also plan on reading Anthem, 1984, Animal Farm, and Heart of Darkness when I finish.

voltour

Nov 13, 2009
Well I am usually in the middle of anywhere from 5 to 10 books at anyone time. However the two that I am reading the most at the moment are, The Crying of lot 49 by Thomas Pynchon and The witches of Eastwick by John Updike.

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
A Time Travellers guide to medieval England

A very interesting and highly readable book if you are into your social history.

Hosker

Aug 13, 2010
El Poncho said:
Hosker said:
I've just started reading The Silmarillion and i'm too far into Skulldugery Pleasant.

El Poncho said:
Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett.

6 more novels to go and I have read all 38 of them:)
I was thinking about starting on Terry Pratchett, would you reccomend them?
Yes, I reccomend them 100%:)
Well, down to waterstones for me ^^

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Currently: An Empire of Wealth by Joseph Gordon, for my Economic History of the US class. It's a riveting read---any professor that assigns books good enough to read for pleasure is my kind of professor.

Hosker

Aug 13, 2010
Cowabungaa said:
Hosker said:
I was thinking about starting on Terry Pratchett, would you reccomend them?
This summarises it:
So, yeah. Like, really. Here's the the reading guide [http://www.au.lspace.org/books/reading-order-guides/the-discworld-reading-order-guide-1-5.jpg].

I'd recommend starting with the Death novels (because honestly, the link between Thief of Time and Night Watch is pretty damn big, not minor) and then reading the Watch novels. They're said to be the best 2 Discworld series.

Especially Hogfather and Soul Music are just made out of pure win (just check out the latter's cover [http://www.lspace.org/ftp/images/bookcovers/uk/soul-music-2.jpg]) and Guards! Guards! was the first book that made me cry with laughter (mainly thanks to the 2 AWESOME Dirty Harry references, you'll see).

*ahem*

Anyway, as for myself, I'm currently rereading Guards! Guards!. I'm waiting for Turn Coat, book 11 in The Dresden Files series, to arrive so I can read that.
Thanks for the link, that will come in handy. I guess i'll give death a go first.

Lordmarkus

Jun 6, 2009
Mass Effect: Ascension and 1984.

Even if the Mass Effect novel isn't a masterwork of any kind it's still an interesting read and 1984 is, well, 1984.

KingGolem

Jun 16, 2009
I'm reading Lamplighter, the second book of the Monster Blood Tattoo trilogy by D. M. Cornish. Everything except the main protagonist (a whiny little *****, as usual) is awesome. You have what amounts to Victorian England, overrun with hideous monsters, and plenty of mad science to deal with them. They have chemists who brew repellants and acids, people implanted with specially grown organs to give them powers, and so forth. Also, all of their ships are powered by giant boxes full of living muscle tissue called "gastrines." Like I said, awesome.

I'm also reading the original, unabridged Conan the Barbarian short stories by Robert E. Howard. If you don't know what that's about, I pity you immensely.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Wow. A lot of people are reading 40k novels (HH in particular). I'm reading Horus Heresy as well :) about a 3rd of the way through A Thousand Sons.

DaJoW

Aug 17, 2010
The Once and Future King. Wonderful book, read it once this year but a friend is going to borrow it so I figured I'd try to read it again before it goes away for a bit.

laststandman

Jun 27, 2009
Too many books at one time:
The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich
Tesla: Man out of Time
Heart of Darkness
No Less than Victory
The Norse Myths
The Poetic Edda

I can't think of anymore right now but I know there are more.

newfoundsky

Feb 9, 2010
While we're on the subject of books, who can suggest to me a good series? I mean, a real epic series. Not Tolkien-esqe, but epic just the same?